Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2018, 17:19   #556
BHPian

Re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Looks like you have not seen Yaris rear seat in person.
I admit I never had the inclination to check it out, as my next car purchase is another 3-4 years down the line. Seems like a poorly ergonomised vehicle, but is the seating arrangement same in the Malaysian and Thai model? And considering that the Japs are not all that short anymore, I wonder what made them design the seats in such a way.
Old 29th May 2018, 17:19   #557
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Center seat head room is even less, and my head was almost touching the roof (my height is 5'5"). Front seat arm rest protrusion makes the matter worse. I can only imagine if someone (male) seated at rear center , not wearing seat belt, and driver decided brake suddenly.
Well that's one way to explain it. When I sat in the Yaris, the center seat felt like you were sitting on a horse/camel. You had to sit erect and forward.

Still I was willing to overlook this because of the fantastic NHV, ride and build quality. My wife and her friends however might not, and the same may be true with many other Indian families.

Maybe Toyota thinks the Yaris is competing against the Smart car?

Ok that was bad, I was being sarcastic.

Maybe Toyota made that center seat so uncomfortable so as to distract from the "soggy" engine/CVT combination. I have mentioned this before: between 40kmph and 80kmph the engine requires a bit of prodding and you can hear it complain too.

FYI: Before I get accused of Toyota bashing, I drive a Camry and like I said before the Yaris has fantastic NVH, ride and build quality for it's class. It is just that to many prospective buyers the 5th seat and/or a more adroit engine-transmission might be more important.

If you are a sedate driver and are sure that you will never seat more than 4 in your car, the Yaris is a great option.

Last edited by navin : 29th May 2018 at 17:31.
navin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 18:49   #558
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Well that's one way to explain it. When I sat in the Yaris, the center seat felt like you were sitting on a horse/camel. You had to sit erect and forward.

Maybe Toyota made that center seat so uncomfortable so as to distract from the "soggy" engine/CVT combination. I have mentioned this before: between 40kmph and 80kmph the engine requires a bit of prodding and you can hear it complain too.

If you are a sedate driver and are sure that you will never seat more than 4 in your car, the Yaris is a great option.
Actually it's not such a big deal. The Verna is similar and the Vento / Rapid are far worse in middle seat. Even the city's middle seat is raised.

The Yaris is a bit more and its done so that it supports the passengers on the sides. If it was fully flat the passengers on the side would not have any side bolstering.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 19:38   #559
Senior - BHPian

If lower versions would not have the driver arm rest, I am sure they would be highest grossing variants.

A curious thought, if Toyota removes this arm rest in some special edition of Yaris, wouldn't it be funny that they had to remove features from the car to make it better! For a car designed by the Japanese practical people, they sure made things unnecessarily inconvenient.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 10:47   #560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Yaris is a bit more and its done so that it supports the passengers on the sides. If it was fully flat the passengers on the side would not have any side bolstering.
Agreed that the City's center seat is also slightly raised but in the Yaris it is more pronounced and for some reason I could not sit back as well.

As it stands, the Yaris's center seat is less comfortable than the City or the Verna and I got 2 women who will back that up.

The other 4 passengers in the Yaris however, can't be more comfortable in any other mid sized sedan unless they are tall (over 5' 9").

Last edited by navin : 30th May 2018 at 10:48.
navin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 11:00   #561
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agreed that the City's center seat is also slightly raised but in the Yaris it is more pronounced and for some reason I could not sit back as well.

As it stands, the Yaris's center seat is less comfortable than the City or the Verna and I got 2 women who will back that up.

The other 4 passengers in the Yaris however, can't be more comfortable in any other mid sized sedan unless they are tall (over 5' 9").
The point is if you need a 5 seater that can seat 3 in the back then you shouldn’t even be looking at city, Verna and Yaris. Toyota has a car for that already and it’s called the Etios. The only other option is a ciaz.

It’s the same as you keep going up a segment. The jetta was a terrible car at the back and so was the Passat.

Unlesss you look at the utility vehicles a sedan is not going to be comfortable for 3 at the back. The city manages only cause Honda follows man maximum machine minimum, and we all know how Honda’s are built.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 11:14   #562
Senior - BHPian

Etios doesn't come with automatic, or with 7 airbags. Even today, Liva or Etios AT with 7 airbags can be a great value proposition. I don't understand the new definition of luxury at shrinking space.

In Indica, even four passangers could sit in relative comfort. The cars costing 4-5 times as much and 1-2 segments above can hardly seat 5. Be it Polo and siblings, i10/Accent, Ecosport, Yaris, City & Creta(to some extent). Only Etios twins and S-cross have sufficient space at the rear.
Old 30th May 2018, 11:48   #563
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The point is if you need a 5 seater that can seat 3 in the back then you shouldn’t even be looking at City, Verna and Yaris. The only other option is a ciaz.

The City manages only cause Honda follows man maximum machine minimum, and we all know how Honda’s are built.
Is the Honda City build quality that bad? Yeah I know it is not in the same league as the Yaris.

Between these two you have the choice of better engine/CVT and rear seat space vs better NVH, ride, and build quality. I prefer the later, my wife and her friends (so far), the former.

I know fully well that her opinions (on most matters) are often more in line with general "Indian sentiment" and that's why I wonder if the Yaris will compete well against the City.

Last edited by navin : 30th May 2018 at 12:01.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 21:17   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Meanwhile I am yet to see a Yaris in action. How come waiting period for the car is two months. Are they that slow to produce or is it a marketing gimmick to perceive demand among customers?
I stalked a brown Yaris today in traffic. It was VX model. Not sure about tranny as I couldn't peer inside. It was driven by a pretty girl and she seemed happy while doing so. The car did look narrower than the City but in today's traffic condition narrow becomes more squeezable. The Yaris was brisk enough on the roads and felt stable as it glided on uneven roads as I could make out from far. The said smallish wheels looked ok and did not feel awkward in action. All in all the car felt solid and composed as it was being driven around.

Please note it was only the car that I was stalking and not the occupant

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 30th May 2018 at 21:19.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 22:11   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the Honda City build quality that bad? Yeah I know it is not in the same league as the Yaris.
The current gen Honda city build feels more like a Maruti. I hope that makes things clear It isn't flimsy for sure but doesn't feel solid !!
Old 30th May 2018, 22:56   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Very True, which is why I am a City CVT ZX owner . Someone like Unique or Orchis should be able to make seat covers with enough padding to get the 2 side flush with centre contraption. Surely it will eat up on the comfort etc, but it was just a thought, feeling pitious for the prospective buyers.
Won't tinkering with the seat affect the plethora of airbags that the Yaris comes with? That's why Cars with 6/7 airbags can't be fitted with after-market seat covers.

Regards
Old 31st May 2018, 05:35   #567
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Won't tinkering with the seat affect the plethora of airbags that the Yaris comes with? That's why Cars with 6/7 airbags can't be fitted with after-market seat covers.

Regards
There’s no airbags on the rear seats at all. The rear has curtain airbags in the b and c pillar.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 11:13   #568
Senior - BHPian

They should have made rear defogger and speed sensing auto lock standard across all variants. They have enough cushion to keep the J-CVT variant under 10L after adding these costs. Add front fog lamp as an accessory, and there you have the most value for money car which cover all the bases.

I have asked this question before: Is it possible to put after market seat cover without affecting the side airbags? I see no air bag tag on seat back rest in Yaris, instead it is available in the seat base.

Here is the front seat picture
Attached Thumbnails
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180513_121957329_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st May 2018 at 12:26. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 14:21   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I stalked a brown Yaris today in traffic. It was VX model.
Today, I was behind a White VX Yaris at a signal and then for next 200-300 meters after which I turned right to my workplace. I couldn't get a view of front but rear and rear 3 quarter view looked good to me. It is certainly a good looking car which won't offend anyone for sure, though a little plain in styling.

It certainly looked narrower when compared to a CITY which was just ahead of it. Yaris was driven by a middle aged lady and 2 men probably in their 50s on rear seat. With two seated at back and from what i could view from rear glass there certainly didn't seem much space for middle passenger.

Toyota knows it's clientele very well for Yaris, urban dwelling customers who are at executive level. These folks mostly have 2 cars and are not worried about sitting 5 in car, for them fuss free ownership is only criteria. Where customers use Innova/Fortuner for chauffer driven duties for a single person at back then certainly Yaris won't affect Toyota's prospects for that second car in the family types clientele. They are not looking at big numbers or to be on podium in segment.
varunswnt is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 15:56   #570
BHPian

Quote:
They should have made rear defogger and speed sensing auto lock standard across all variants. They have enough cushion to keep the J-CVT variant under 10L after adding these costs. Add front fog lamp as an accessory, and there you have the most value for money car which cover all the bases.

I have asked this question before: Is it possible to put after market seat cover without affecting the side airbags? I see no air bag tag on seat back rest in Yaris, instead it is available in the seat base.

Here is the front seat picture
IMHO, No, you should not put after market seat covers on seats with airbags. As far as i understand the airbag is mounted to the side of the backrest and not at the base of the seat. I think its just labeling that's done at the base of the seat (easier to put that into the molding than stitch a separate warning to the seat perhaps?
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks