Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2018, 07:39   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Media having the first drive,

Attachment 1824698

Considering the dune bashing that is happening.

I am expecting a few auto journals to state that the Harrier is capable off the road as well, and the absence of a 4WD is not missed.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 4th December 2018 at 07:40.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 07:40   #1877
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

After all the specifications and pictures, it seems TATA is all set to bring in the philosophy of "more car per car" back to the SUV segment. This is the most "milked" segment and hopefully prices of Harrier will be sane to warrant a correction from other players, especially Hyundai.
octane_100 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 07:44   #1878
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Did they omit the mood lights and side mirror de-mister from the Hexa? Not a biggie, but the seat adjustments should have been electric, IMO.
Old 4th December 2018, 07:48   #1879
Senior - BHPian

The Harrier makes every other SUV look dated! Can't wait for a TD. I wish TML all the best. If priced right it will set the cat among the pigeons. It looks very premium and is an "aspirational" product from TML. Wonder how those headlights are going to work in the real world.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 07:50   #1880
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
After all the specifications and pictures, it seems TATA is all set to bring in the philosophy of "more car per car" back to the SUV segment. This is the most "milked" segment and hopefully prices of Harrier will be sane to warrant a correction from other players, especially Hyundai.
Going by the leaked prices, is it possible that Hexa may appear as "more car per car" standing next to the Harrier on the showroom floors. It would be interesting to see if its sales numbers suffer or gain once the Harrier shares the floor space.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 08:10   #1881
BHPian

TATA deserves a standing ovation for the Harrier, based on what I have seen here; it is a class act inside out.

In my view, despite the lack of an automatic, the car should do well and will make life difficult for the Compass and the XUV5OO plus maybe a few of the vehicles in the higher segment. However, I am not sure it will harm Creta's figures, and the reason for this is the Harrier's size more than anything else. Owners of Creta I know have mentioned the 'compact' size of the Creta combined with a capable engine and the bells and whistles as a major draw.

The car also brings back the question: "where does the Hexa fit in now?" I have my eyes on the Hexa though probably end-2019, early-2020, but with the entry of the Harrier and the upcoming 7-seater based on the same platform, wonder what TATA will do with the Hexa ? To make matters worse, they seem to be slowly stripping the Hexa away off the features!

Anyhow, for now, let's celebrate the Harrier - wishing team TATA all success with the fabulous product.
Old 4th December 2018, 08:19   #1882
BHPian

Everything sounds good till now however the news of lack of AWD in the near future is a disappointment. First the Nexon and then the Harrier. And rumors that the model isn't capable of being fitted with an AWD system because of the engine and platform is even more disappointing. Tata could have priced it very competitively compared to the grossly overpriced Compass AWD.
The terrain response mode sound like a gimmick in a 2WD vehicle. Staying with my Duster AWD.
Old 4th December 2018, 08:23   #1883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
TATA deserves a standing ovation for the Harrier, based on what I have seen here; it is a class act inside out.

Anyhow, for now, let's celebrate the Harrier - wishing team TATA all success with the fabulous product.

Couldn't agree more. If priced on par with the Creta or there about, around 600+ dealerships across the country, the Harrier has the capability to do atleast 6k dispatches a month.

The only draw back is that it has no auto transmission at launch and could be perceived as too big for the city.

The Creta will surely feel the heat.

Jeep now has to offer discounts and bring in the automatic diesel from as low as the longitude variant. The Compass dimensions are just perfect for the city and the highway, or in classic FCA style they can still remain a profitable company by just selling their engines.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 09:00   #1884
BHPian

ACI brings a first look Video on the Harrier. Its got grab handles on the dash similar to new Jags and Land Rover. Things do look great and Tata has done a marvelous job indeed! Only if they could have given a slightly better alloy design, they've done it already in Hexa

Last edited by PrasunBannerjee : 4th December 2018 at 09:01.
PrasunBannerjee is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 09:43   #1885
BHPian

One touch I really appreciate - they have a usable middle seat in the second row. Unlike the Compass where the center looks a bit narrow and not usable.

Is it just me or the front arm rest does not seem very usable? It was one of the biggest irritants in the Hexa and seems like it is carried forward. In each of the pics it seems so far back that even resting an elbow on it does not seem possible.

Overall though, my mind is made up, but looks like I will have to wait before they launch the following non-negotiable items for me:
1. AT
2. Red color
3. Sunroof
ihrishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 10:01   #1886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
Is it just me or there is no rear AC vent? Not able to spot in any pictures/videos.
It's on the b pillar if you look closely. The picture is there somewhere couple of pages back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post

Is it just me or the front arm rest does not seem very usable? It was one of the biggest irritants in the Hexa and seems like it is carried forward. In each of the pics it seems so far back that even resting an elbow on it does not seem possible.
+1. I had the same impression looking at the pictures. I was however hoping the armrest could slide back and forth to adjust. Not sure.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th December 2018 at 10:46. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 10:06   #1887
Senior - BHPian

While I don't have any issues with the expected pricing or the premium-ness of the car, i am now beginning to think that the harrier will certainly make XUV500 appear more VFM.

For similar price, I can go for an automatic with equally powerful engine and similar footprint and as a bonus i will get additional seats for those occasional shopping mall duties.

Also the harrier might force Mahindra to offer discounts on XUV and make it a better deal.

Honestly, I expected the harrier to come with AT to justify all that the premium-ness
rajshenoy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 10:10   #1888
BHPian

Harrier looks smashing, both from the inside as well as outside. There is a massive sense of premium and desirability in this. Couple of years ago, it was Nexon which managed to turn heads with its striking design. Harrier takes it up by a few notches. However, with the confirmed lack of AWD, AT and being a front-wheel drive, I don't think this competes with Compass in any way, except for sharing the same engine. This is a Creta / XUV competitor for sure. Of course, XUV gets AWD and AT while Creta gets AT. Considering all this, there is no way Tata can price this 4x2 manual too high. My guess is that current top-end of Harrier will be launched at 15.5-16 lakh ex-showroom, in the same territory as Creta and competing with XUV.

As for the wonderful features on-offer, call me pessimistic but I can already see Harrier losing tiny conveniences here and there in a year to accommodate the increase in price due to AWD and AT, if and when they launch.
ksameer1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 10:17   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Tata for bringing out such a wonderful Product. Now over to Tata for pricing it reasonably. They have to keep in mind that they do not have Brand name like Jeep to price it at Par with the Compass. They have to give some pricing space for the 7 Seater Harrier too.

On the downside, whats with a 400 odd litres boot on such a big car. Why dont Manufacturers give us a usable boot of atleast 500 litres .
karanraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 10:44   #1890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
While I don't have any issues with the expected pricing or the premium-ness of the car, i am now beginning to think that the harrier will certainly make XUV500 appear more VFM.
I tend to agree with you.

I am slowly but surely getting a feeling that the expectations Harrier created for itself, through strategic or otherwise leaks, are slowly proving to be its largest foe.

- Lack of AT (especially when the Hyundai six box news has been circulating for a long time)
- Murmurs about the colours on offer not being bold enough (Saw a few tweets already)
- Some are reporting that the space on the inside is not as spacious/comfortable as it looks from the outside
- Bits and pieces carried forward from the smaller siblings (Tiago, Nexon etc) that ain't so premium for a car that is positioned to be premium
- Simple misses like auto dimming IRVM, front armrest etc

If the game boils down to the TATA on-field sales team doing the pitch and converting prospects to customers then I fear that the plot is lost. The Harrier should sell by itself. Now hopefully, TATA pulls one out of the hat and absolutely nails it with pricing.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks