Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2018, 01:12   #1981
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
There's no question of Harrier selling more with an AT option, but my point is "not by much "and certainly not like end of the world without an AT. What I don't understand is why so much fuss being made about one particular car not having an AT option. Clearly there are other vehicles, both below, par and above in the price spectrum.
Correct, it's not the end of the world till it's indeed the end of the world.
The reason why many of us are disappointed is that Tata led us on to believe that the Harrier would be available with an AT. Had they managed the expectation and been clear that it won't be available at the launch perhaps 'the world would have been a better place'. I'm sure they'd have known that AT would not be available at launch, had they made this clear many of us would not have booked the car.

I am certain they would've got feedback from several sources that many customers are demanding for an AT but still no confirmation if one is on the offing. AT transmission is no longer a luxury considering the traffic situation most of our cities have for most of us (including me) it's a deal breaker. I'm sure we are allowed to voice our disappointment here.
hiren.mistry is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 01:26   #1982
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
...On the downside, whats with a 400 odd litres boot on such a big car. Why dont Manufacturers give us a usable boot of atleast 500 litres .
Thought I was the only one who had apprehension about this. I read this vehicle is as big as the XUV, and still the boot size of Amaze which is less than 4m long? Where's all the space gone?!

Quote:
I think it will make sense only if you wanted to take more people. Just in terms of boot space, the Harrier has lot more than what XUV offers.
With XUV's last row folded (making it a 5 seater and even platform for comparison)? I am not sure how much boot space is released with last 2 seats folded, it's just 400L for XUV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Some critics seem to be jumping to conclusions in a hurry to post their dislike of the Harrier. No due diligence though - as in this video OD clearly states that there are discs on all four wheels...
The brochure from TATA says it's disc in the front and drums at the rear. But then if OD found out discs at the rear too, am sure TATA hasn't done their work proper; some heads deserve to roll !!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th December 2018 at 01:44.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 01:43   #1983
BHPian

Not Tata.. But its OD who have got it wrong. Rear is indeed drum only. (seen in several pics)

I reckon the cars used in the media drive are not the true top end (missing badges) and hope that the TOP variant shall have dual pane Sunroof / Auto climate control / Auto Wipers / Dual tone diamond cut 19" alloy / All Disc brakes ...
ah if wishes were horses

Also , Curious about the aspect ratio of the screen where the Harrier has Compass beat by its larger 8.8"inch screen, which is actually lesser in height than that of the Limited Plus.

How s t r e t c h e d would the rear camera display will be , in this spaced out screen?

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harriercompass.jpg

The Harrier is surely making the competition sweat ... With best compliments from the Big 'T'

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_7381.jpg

Source (My Toyota Harrier: A JDM adventure)
Moto$apien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 04:34   #1984
BHPian

Adding my few cents here.

Harrier looks smashing inside out. No Doubt. A huge leap for TATA in terms of design and features, but the OTR price of approx. 16L for the base version is too much asking, which as pointed out by Condor, is bare bones. It lacks most of the basic features. XT or XZ is the variant to go for. IMO, at least the 6 airbags, Multi-drive modes, and the terrain response modes should have been standard across all variants.

With TATA's aftersales still hit a or miss in many places (though improving at a snail pace), the high ex-showroom price, and the relative fewer to no features for the base variant will be a huge turn-off for many prospective buyers. There are a lot of alternatives in the same price band as the base variant that come with more bells and whistles.

Another turn down is the color palette. The Calisto copper is the only color that seems to be exciting on the harrier. Ignoring black in a color sentiment market like ours makes sense, but no shades of blue or red. Why TATA? Saving it for a facelift? or perhaps a special celebration edition? Harrier in the Arizona blue would look absolutely smashing.

Also, If I'm not mistaken, the engine is quite noisy[from outside] as seen in one of the videos on Facebook, Overdrive I guess.

Last edited by TangoSierra : 5th December 2018 at 04:57. Reason: Corrected typos
Old 5th December 2018, 04:51   #1985
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRONIX View Post
Harrier looks like a blend of LR Discovery Sport, Jaguar F-Pace and LR Velar to me. Especially the rear end seems to be heavily inspired by the Velar. Appreciate Tata for bringing in such a striking design for under 20L. The road presence of this vehicle is going to massive. For someone who can't afford anything from the LR stable can get a taste of it at a fraction of the cost. Those will be the prospective buyers of the Harrier in my opinion.
This is a nice point of view. Yes, in a way you’re right. For one thing as you have pointed out, the LR design inspiration is clearly there. Additionally, the vehicle platform itself is LR derived. And very clearly they seem to have paid a lot of attention to the interiors and facilities and make it even more LR-esque in that sense.

A person who aspires to a vehicle from the LR stable, but who perhaps cant afford one right now, will indeed be getting something similar and with some sort of “second cousinly” sort of DNA, in the form of the Tata Harrier and the best thing is, that the pricing is in the achievable range as compared with a full and proper LR.

Looking at it another way, I think the Harrier in today’s avatar has more in it than lots of other vehicles in its segment. Also, if one were to think differently, the Harrier does have more in it than many of the earlier generation LR’s themselves.

I believe that instead of condemning it out of hand in a cloud of negativity, before it is even out there in the market, people need to give it a sporting chance.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 07:29   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Well said! It is very important to acknowledge creativity, be it in making cars or a simple act of dabbing an empty canvas with paint. Creativity is what keeps the wheels of mankind moving forward. Personal likes and agendas aside, we must appreciate that the Harrier is a true evolution of form borrowing from its LR heritage. The engine is tuned very well, from what I hear. Let's stay positive and await more such exciting iterations from the Tata Motors stable.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 07:30   #1987
Distinguished - BHPian

The Fleet of Harrier - Media drive- Day 3.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1.jpg

Some initial media comments - take it with some risk though

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-2.jpg

ACI - Comparative specs. with competition. ( Creta, XUV & Compass)

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-33.jpg

CnB- First Look Video,

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th December 2018 at 07:57.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 07:59   #1988
Distinguished - BHPian

Was like when I first read the article, later made out they would be mentioning about 7 seater version.

Though the article erroneously mentions that both 5&7 seater launch is in 2020.

Source : Hindu metro plus - Wheels . Bangalore edition.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20181205_075252334_hdr.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 08:00   #1989
BHPian

Raking up the yet unknown and much discussed price discussion again.
Below are the ON-ROAD prices for Creta in Bangalore as per carwale.
  • So TATA will either start the Harrier pricing with the Creta 1.6D and go all the way above it.
Name:  2.png
Views: 4123
Size:  21.4 KB
Below are the ON-ROAD prices for Compass
  • Tata might be looking to undercut the Compass.
Name:  3.PNG
Views: 4147
Size:  32.4 KB
Disclaimer : Strictly comparing popular 5 seat SUVs around the declared price range of Harrier.

Last edited by coldice4u : 5th December 2018 at 08:07.
coldice4u is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 08:27   #1990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, suddenly from a country that predominantly runs on the VXi/VDIs and XM/XE, we have become a country that drives only top of the line automatic cars. Come on guys, the folks who go for the top variant of a smaller car is minuscule in comparison to the number of people who buy the basic/mid variant from the next segment. If you are in the former group, well and good; you made the right choice.

Just today, I ran into six different Nexons and barring one (which was an XZA+), all were XT/XM. In a similar context/discussion, somebody mentioned that they see lot of automatic Hexas but till today, I have seen just one or two XTAs. So, with this ground reality, I don't think Tata is losing much. Yes, there will be potential customers who would have only wanted AT, but I suspect the ratio will be too small. But it would have been still nice if they tell us what their plans for the AT are.

I will reserve rest of my opinion/prediction to post price-announcement!

Spot on! Missing the AT at launch may not be a big deal breaker. But they should announce that AT would be launched in 6 months time frame, to keep the interest alive.

However, more and more urban consumers are moving towards AT. Creta and XUV500 have a sizeable sales in the AT variants, more so in the Creta, which is possibly the new executive car in urban areas now. And that is where it would make a difference. People spending 18 lakhs on a Creta auto would not mind stretching another 1-2 lakhs for the Harrier if it had an auto. But lets give the benefit of doubt to Tata, I think they will surely launch an auto in the next 6-9 months.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 08:30   #1991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Raking up the yet unknown and much discussed price discussion again.
Disclaimer : Strictly comparing popular 5 seat SUVs around the declared price range of Harrier.
The XE trim on the Harrier has no infotainment and no park assist. The Creta has both on the SX Diesel manual. This is one major difference. The Creta also has a similarly priced S AT option. Its also a well established SUV. On the Compass there are too little sales to bother

Last edited by SDP : 5th December 2018 at 17:37. Reason: Typo
nainan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 09:39   #1992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroutlander View Post
One can probably forgive Tata for the lack of AT - maybe they weren't able to procure an effective auto-transmission in time or maybe they have some weird marketing strategy behind it (God knows what's that though ).

But how would they explain the relatively bland paint schemes, missing dual tone options, insipid alloys and the lack of a panoramic sunroof (bummer for a lot of people)?
My line of thinking goes like this - they definitely do not lack in the design department who can think of cosmetic upgrades like paint schemes and contrast roof colors etc. Nexon is proof of that.

They probably do not *want* to show all their cards at one go to keep the product fresh for a longer duration. I bet they have very regular 'updates' and 'special editions' planned for the Harrier life cycle to keep the interest going.
ihrishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 09:51   #1993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
The XE trim on the Harrier has no infotainment and no park assist. The Creta has both on the SX Diesel manual. This is one major difference. The Creta also has a similarly price S AT option. Its also a well established SUV. On the Compass there are too little sales to bother
The Harrier is also distinctly a class above in terms of size, displacement and POSSIBLY dynamics. The very fact that we are talking about Harrier, from a higher segment with Creta, a sub segment below, only cause of the pricing speaks volumes to the VFM equation provided by TATA.

On another note, I think for all discussions on any vehicles, we ought to have separate threads. One for discussing,comparing what is currently available with the vehicle on sale and another for the possibilities with the vehicle if the pricing was something else, if the features were something else, if the dealer/service network was something else
coldice4u is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 09:59   #1994
BANNED

I have a question Tata Harrier H5x does not have 4x4 and also would not have 7 seats. Does it really qualify to be called SUV I thought either of these should be there in an SUV or I am wrong ?
Old 5th December 2018, 10:03   #1995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
With XUV's last row folded (making it a 5 seater and even platform for comparison)? I am not sure how much boot space is released with last 2 seats folded, it's just 400L for XUV?
No, I am confident XUV will have more space with last row folded down. My point was specifically in the context of grocery shopping. Who would like to fold down the seats every time you go buy grocery. On the other hand, if you are not going to need the last row (at all), then Harrier can not only provide more leg space (I am guessing) for the front two rows but also has a decent boot.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks