Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2018, 23:35   #2086
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Absolutely right. Couldn't have said it better. The lack of disk brakes at the rear, the missing 3 pointed seat belt for the rear centre passenger (although the creta and compass don't offer them either) and no isofix seats for lower variants make it feel cheap and old. I sort of expected these features to be standard, given the fact that the Harrier is based on the Land Rover Discovery Sport.
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 00:18   #2087
Sac
BHPian

I hope you realize that the Discovery Sport you guys referring to, even after localization, retails at 45L Ex-showroom. So essentially you're getting the same chassis and body structure at 1/3rd price. Of course the equipment levels will be lower but the overall body stiffness which is essential for any off roading, more than those AWDs will be an inherent attribute of the Omega platform. I expect the reviews to indicate as much.
Sac is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 00:40   #2088
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac View Post
I hope you realize that the Discovery Sport you guys referring to, even after localization, retails at 45L Ex-showroom. So essentially you're getting the same chassis and body structure at 1/3rd price. Of course the equipment levels will be lower but the overall body stiffness which is essential for any off roading, more than those AWDs will be an inherent attribute of the Omega platform. I expect the reviews to indicate as much.
Not exactly, the Harrier is not the first car to share a platform and certainly wont be the last "MQB anyone" but its more about what alterations do you do to lower the cost than anything else. For example certain high mass redundant structures can be deleted to reduce weight and price "Goal expectation are reduced thus reducing overall complexity/weight/price"
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 00:45   #2089
BHPian

Like I said - I wont even rationalize that this is 1/3d or 1/4th the price of the Discovery Sport or the fact that competitors don't provide them. Both competitors are deliberately de-contented to save pennies. Will they be able to sell this in the International Market or even their own home markets like this?
IMHO, if Tata want to prove they can provide us a world class product, it has to be world class in every respect, especially safety. Not in a 'oh yes we can add a,b and c' and it'll be world class' kind of way. Sorry for the rant.
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 02:38   #2090
BHPian

kalleo4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 04:08   #2091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
Like I said - I wont even rationalize that this is 1/3d or 1/4th the price of the Discovery Sport or the fact that competitors don't provide them. Both competitors are deliberately de-contented to save pennies. Will they be able to sell this in the International Market or even their own home markets like this?
IMHO, if Tata want to prove they can provide us a world class product, it has to be world class in every respect, especially safety. Not in a 'oh yes we can add a,b and c' and it'll be world class' kind of way. Sorry for the rant.
To be honest this is a rant because the market does not care whether the middle passenger seat belt is a lap belt or a proper seat belt. They are too happy that they got two screens, one in the middle and one in the instrument console (Not saying its a bad thing though). If anyone cares though, Tata's safety record has been one of the best in India, if not the best.

We buy more than half a million structurally unsafe Swift and its offsprings every year. It makes no difference what so ever.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 7th December 2018 at 04:12.
extreme_torque is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 06:12   #2092
BHPian

Reviews are up

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-410647

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2019-tat...-drive-review/

Last edited by coldice4u : 7th December 2018 at 06:24.
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 06:13   #2093
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing. The large Tata logo in front is standing out like a sore thumb. It could have been integrated nicely into the front grill or could have been smaller - or even tucked in a corner like a Landie. This is just one of those boxes that the designer needed to tick so he did just that. Could have been better thought out I feel. The handbrake pull action looks like it could give me some wrist pain, have to check it out in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleo4 View Post

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th December 2018 at 14:03. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 7th December 2018, 07:21   #2094
BHPian

This thread makes it clear that we all want Tata to offer feature list that's union of top variant of all it's competitors and price it starting ecosport top-end model territory.

I don't think that Creta is even remotely a competition for Harrier. When people on this forum compare a hatchback on stilts with a land Rover Discovery platform derived Harrier, it amazes and baffles me in equal measure. I rejected Creta even in comparison to S cross. Just because Creta is Korean, it is entitled to atrocious pricing and Indian car maker is not even allowed to make reasonable margins.

Compass is a thoroughly competent product but offers very little space. I looked at limited plus at launch and rear bench is really tight for anyone who is chauffered. Also, Jeep Wrangler just score 1 in Europe ncap. Jeep is a one product company and will not survive the harrier onslaught.

The platform, interior class & quality, exterior styling, safety features, space and comfort, ride and handling - Tata has nailed it. Xz+ should come out soon, hopefully. Given compass and Creta history and trends, Harrier will sell very very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20181206221202.jpg  

Last edited by 5kmiles : 7th December 2018 at 07:24.
5kmiles is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 07:33   #2095
Senior - BHPian

So with the embargo out of the way, reviews have started pouring in .

ZigWheels:

Autocar:

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th December 2018 at 07:35.
SoumenD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 07:37   #2096
BHPian

Good to see OD and AC reviews up. Its a feel good factor that neither of these renowned reviewers compare Harrier with Creta and correctly so.
Like the post above, AT is the only one missing and am sure, TML would get it few months from now.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 07:44   #2097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
The autocar text review is critical, but their YouTube review is Gaga over the Harrier. Not sure if it's poor editing and quality control or there are actually two reviewers who feel differently.

Last edited by ampere : 8th December 2018 at 13:59. Reason: Video link already post above
AirbusCapt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 07:51   #2098
Senior - BHPian

It does seem like a very good car and the large transmission tunnel proves it will get AWD at a later date. Also Hormazd mentioned AT will be available only a year later.
Old 7th December 2018, 07:54   #2099
BHPian

Ouch!! 3 points -
A. No apple car play, only Android for now
B. This one's big - the auto will be available a year down the road!!!!!
C. Noisy cabin, and it feels like the reviews are not going out on a limb to praise the power dynamics.

I just watched one review btw.

Someone here had said the Harrier may sell more than the Hexa. I think I would have agreed outright, only if Tata had not deleted features from the Hexa AND upgraded the ICE.

Last edited by SDP : 7th December 2018 at 18:28. Reason: Typo
rovingeye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 07:56   #2100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
It does seem like a very good car and the large transmission tunnel proves it will get AWD at a later date. Also Hormazd mentioned AT will be available only a year later.
Seems like the review was forced upon him. No enthusiasm from his part. Also he made a blunder by mentioning taillights as headlights two times in the video.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks