Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 14:23   #2206
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
Did you try KHT Brookefield? They were very prompt and got me a Hexa and the Storme for a test ride soon after I enquired. The sales guy also gave me quite a long drive encoraging me to push the vehicle till he was satisfied that he has demonstrated everything he wanted to.
Let me try that.. hope they don't mind reaching me @ ECity
Old 10th December 2018, 18:13   #2207
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Pre launch social media blitz is all good to get people interested and gauge sentiment, but TATA has to keep in mind one very big factor if its going any distance with Harrier, which is "Pricing". If TATA gets greedy they'll kill the product in fact it will pay them handsomely if they price it a notch lower than what the gossip suggests, this way they'll eat creta's lunch (a number cruncher) and XUV's cake again a winner with one sling shot. However if they choose to challenge Jeep they might not go very far with that strategy.

The press and everyone is over emphasizing the JLR platform, to a certain degree it is without doubt credible but that's not all... at the end of a day the value which XUV returned to its buyers was very good which kept it ticking & it was not based on any Godmother platform.

Mahindra solely focused on experience and value which made sense to customers and they flocked around it. This is the strategy TATA should run with " Build it a notch higher than competition (read Jeep compass) and price it a notch lower (read XUV) and bam you have a winner on your hands.

My 2 cents that's all

Last edited by ampere : 11th December 2018 at 09:53. Reason: compacted post
gurthvader is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 19:10   #2208
BHPian

Is it just me or the design is not just growing on me. Infact I am liking the Hexa better now!

ihrishi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 19:20   #2209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Is it just me or the design is not just growing on me. Infact I am liking the Hexa better now!

Same here, the front is is not done up to my taste. It lacks class in my opinion. Hexa has a nicely done front grille which enhances the class to a great extend.

Last edited by ampere : 11th December 2018 at 09:54. Reason: compacted quoted post
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 19:24   #2210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurthvader View Post
This is the strategy TATA should run with " Build it a notch higher than competition (read Jeep compass) and price it a notch lower (read XUV) and bam you have a winner on your hands.
Pricing could indeed be a tricky mistress. On one hand, with all the talk of pedigree and JLR underpinnings and creature comforts, if they price is low, it would appear that don't have enough confidence in their product and that they are relying on shock-and-awe pricing to lure in customers. On the other hand, if they price it high, they run the risk of their product labelled as 'not being VFM' and 'costly despite being a Tata'.

The latter argument is something that befuddles me to no end. Non-Indian OEMs who have had 90-100% localisation done, get a sort of license to keep inflated prices but Tata (or Mahindra, for that matter) cannot catch a break despite producing amazing vehicles that could easily stand on par with those from foreign OEMs
mroutlander is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 19:25   #2211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Same here, the front is is not done up to my taste. It lacks class in my opinion. Hexa has a nice done front grille which enhances the class to a great extend.
And I am seeing more and more similar looking Tucsons and liking the Hyundai's ! I am hoping seeing it in person might be helpful. We have also been overloaded with the orange colour and other subtle colours like silver or white might look good.
What if Hyundai cuts Tucsons price just for the heck of it

Last edited by srishiva : 10th December 2018 at 19:27.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 19:27   #2212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not just you, if it wasn't for all the Hype around the Land Rover platform, people would have said, its it looks like a bigger Nexon with Fiat engine.

Whats that point of Land Rover DNA (and other fancy words thrown around) if there is no AWD or AT option. Discovery looks like timeless and classy.

P.S: I own a Tata.

Last edited by ampere : 11th December 2018 at 09:55. Reason: compacted quoted post
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 19:34   #2213

Looks like fatigue is setting in among the enthusiasts!

I had paid my 30K and today got a message from the dealership that the test drive vehicle will be available by the end of this month.
Svetblr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 19:59   #2214
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. I don't want to hurt any potential buyer's sentiment, but, I am finding the style a bit too roundy and feminine too. Just, purely, my personal opinion. The orange isn't helping either.

Last edited by ampere : 11th December 2018 at 09:55. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 10th December 2018, 20:02   #2215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the contrary I love the design
The rear more than the front, but on the whole the car looks really smashing. It's a shame then that Tata will launch the Harrier in 5 colours. The Hexa blue would look great on this car.

I hope the news that AT might be available 6 months post the launch is true. Lack of an AT is the biggest deterrent for me.

hiren.mistry is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 20:11   #2216
BHPian

Quote:
Me too. I keep endlessly staring at the Harrier front end and wondering if they could have somehow made it more subtle and classy. I feel the clean lines project a sort of continuity on the sides and back of the vehicle, but the front is out of sync with that idea. Heck, the Hexa front looks classy in comparison. I really admire the designs of the Jeep front grille where they maintain their heritage design, but still make sure that it's not out of sync with the rest of the vehicle. Waiting to see Harrier in person and be proven wrong.

drjkonline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 21:40   #2217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
They have a facility in UK (I think not related to JLR) where a lot of testing is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
[b]Tata Harrier crash tested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm expecting Harrier to score nothing less than 5 star going by the brilliant results TATA is getting in safety tests these days
Official statement from Tata on Twitter in reply to Vikram Joshi regarding announcing GlobalNCAP results for Harrier during launch.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-20181210_213520.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 21:53   #2218
BHPian

All news on the lack of AWD on the Harrier/H7X and the costs of developing it got me reading about the same and guess what both the Evoque (built on D8) and the Compass use the GKN disconnected driveline:-

Quote:
And the key to the Compass, as well as the smaller Jeep Renegade, is an innovative fuel-saving disconnecting driveline system developed by GKN.

The first application of GKN's disconnecting all-wheel-drive system was with the launch of the Range Rover Evoque in mid-2011.
To grow globally, Jeep turned to driveline maker GKN

As per GKN :-

Quote:
The AWD system is simpler to integrate into smaller vehicle platforms thanks to GKN’s advanced system architecture. With only minor hardware and software changes, the AWD Disconnect system can be scaled to suit vehicles of different sizes and dynamic requirements. GKN’s control software enables models with the same hardware to deliver the right driving characteristics for each brand.
GKN’s Scalable AWD disconnect system goes on 2017 Jeep Compass

Now given the above I find it absurd that Tata cannot offer the same kit on the Harrier since the engine, manual gearbox and platform has a proven integration with the same.

This too proves the Autocar article on the Harrier development decisions was a completely fictionalized account and makes me wonder if anything other than what Tata has said publically so far is even true.

Last edited by nainan : 10th December 2018 at 21:56.
nainan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 08:00   #2219
BHPian

Aren't we all focusing on what's wrong in the Harrier? Why don't we focus on what's good like the LR platform, great suspension, driving dynamics, nice interiors, first in class 2 screens, strong build, proven engine and many things. Automatic is a miss for sure, but lack of affordable technology must have prevented Tata from launching it.

How many other than T Bhpian's actually care about sunroof, AWD? Sunroof can always be added later as was done with Hexa.

Again, people talk about the number of pre-bookings and pass judgement over the success of the vehicle. The prices are pure speculative.

Let the vehicle be launched, see it, drive it, feel it and then judge...

For many I think it's just matter of sour grapes

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th December 2018 at 11:33. Reason: Minor formatting
Palio_2005 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 09:50   #2220
BANNED

Quote:

I believe there is a big scope for improvement in the looks department, see the similarities between the Harrier and Discovery basic front layout.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-discovery-vs-harrier.jpg
pavi is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks