Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2019, 19:48   #3706
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Stuck Harrier needs 2 Tiagos to pull it out

It is easy to get stuck in this kind of mud. I even got the Compass 4*4 stuck in a similar way.: Towed out with a tractor.

Moral of the story do not get into mud if the water has been stagnant. Flowing streams is a different ball game. The front end of the car just sinks in due to the engine weight.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 16th April 2019 at 19:58.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 20:45   #3707
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
I think most of the MUVs ans SUVs without proper 4x4 setup will stuck in this scenario and so is the case with Harrier. It does not have any feature to manage such challenging conditions.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 20:51   #3708
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Very funny of them to drive straight in to deep slush on a 2WD car. May be they wanted to test the 'terrain response system'.
@roby_dk Harrier has some kind of system which manages the traction and controls the free spinning of a wheel electronically. But I guess for that to work, at least one of the front wheels has to be on a hard surface.

Last edited by Guna : 16th April 2019 at 20:54.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 21:41   #3709
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at the video, it seems the driver didn't know the basics of offroading. The mud/slush is neither excessive nor so slushly that the car sank into it. A gentle throttle input in reverse, with slight wriggling on the front wheels would unstick it. In the worst case a couple of floor mats behind the front tyres would help it gain traction and recover. Even the drive modes provided are not required.
AirbusCapt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 12:05   #3710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumalkar View Post
The Hunt Begins ..

Anyway, this is just the beginning and hope to create lots of beautiful memories with my HARRIER.
Hi,

Congratulations Sumalkar for the Harrier purchase. Wish you a happy motoring.

No doubt Harrier is a smart looking SUV on an Indian road at this price range, which ticks most of the boxes.

I am waiting for Harrier auto gear. Thanks for the update on drive modes.

Venkatesh.H
Venkatesh.H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 15:45   #3711
BHPian

Hi,

I am posting this as I am facing an issue with my Harrier which I nor the Service Centre guys are able to understand. And as a preface, please note that I have recently graduated from a Hyundai Verna to the Harrier.

The issue is that when I am driving my vehicle on a highway at speeds varying from 80-120 kmph and take my hands off the steering wheel, the vehicle starts to drift to the left. Earlier I thought that it was a wheel alignment issue and got the alignment done at the service centre but with no real improvement. On re-checking with the service manager he mentioned that the drift/pull to the left is natural given the weight of the vehicle and the natural road gradient (which is done to ensure that there is no water logging in case of rains).

Is this actually true or am I overreacting ? My comparison point is with my Verna which showed no such inclination of a drift. Also, could this be the effect of the "light weight steering" at highway speeds that many BHPians have mentioned about in earlier posts ?
Old 17th April 2019, 16:25   #3712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukriss View Post
Hi,
Is this actually true or am I overreacting ? My comparison point is with my Verna which showed no such inclination of a drift. Also, could this be the effect of the "light weight steering" at highway speeds that many BHPians have mentioned about in earlier posts ?
This might actually be an issue with steering wheel alignment. I believe what you are trying to say is the car drifts to left when the steering is held straight. If this is the case, then while doing wheel alginment, the technician might not have put a lock on steering wheel.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 16:29   #3713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. the vehicle starts to drift to the left.
How severe is the drift ?

Try to swap front wheels and check if it still happens.

Get the wheel balancing and alignment checked outside at a competent shop.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 16:32   #3714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
This might actually be an issue with steering wheel alignment. I believe what you are trying to say is the car drifts to left when the steering is held straight. If this is the case, then while doing wheel alginment, the technician might not have put a lock on steering wheel.
No, he didn't say while holding the steering straight. If that was the case, its clearly a mis-alignment issue. He says it happens when his hands are off the steering.

If the car goes left at generous speeds with steering too turning slightly, i would say it is a case of road gradient which is common on highways. Try doing the same thing when the highway curves to the right. Am sure the car will pull to the right as well.

Nevertheless, it can be checked again at a different service center to be on the safer side.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 16:34   #3715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Yes, the car drifts while keeping the steering wheel straight and me taking my hands off them. However, even if i have a single finger pressure on the wheel, its stays on course

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
How severe is the drift ?

Try to swap front wheels and check if it still happens.

Get the wheel balancing and alignment checked outside at a competent shop.
I shall definitely get it checked outside as two visits to the service centre had not helped solve this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
If the car goes left at generous speeds with steering too turning slightly, i would say it is a case of road gradient which is common on highways. Try doing the same thing when the highway curves to the right. Am sure the car will pull to the right as well.

Nevertheless, it can be checked again at a different service center to be on the safer side.
The car does not veer right on a similar right gradient. Had checked that out as well. It keeps going left even on a right gradient.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th April 2019 at 16:51.
madhukriss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 17:22   #3716
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the car drifts while keeping the steering wheel straight and me taking my hands off them. However, even if i have a single finger pressure on the wheel, its stays on course
To confirm that it is nothing wrong with a car, try to find an empty road and drive on the right side - remember, only on an empty road. If the car now drifts to the right, there's nothing wrong.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 17:54   #3717
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Hi,

The issue is that when I am driving my vehicle on a highway at speeds varying from 80-120 kmph and take my hands off the steering wheel, the vehicle starts to drift to the left.

Verna has electric steering, the harrier has hydraulic steering. The latter is more sensitive to providing all info about any asymmetry w.r.t the front wheels. It should not happen on a perfectly flat road, though. If on a road with slope towards right it still pulls left or remains straight, then you have camber/caster/toe issue. Wheel alignment centers adjust only toe - for camber/caster issues, only the service center can correct.

Last edited by venkyhere : 17th April 2019 at 17:55.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 21:49   #3718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the car drifts while keeping the steering wheel straight and me taking my hands off them. However, even if i have a single finger pressure on the wheel, its stays on course.

The car does not veer right on a similar right gradient. Had checked that out as well. It keeps going left even on a right gradient.

Considering your second part, going left even when on right side of the road, then it is either a alignment or tire issue. Try swapping only the front tires, if no change exchange positions of rear tires. If there is a change the issue is with one tire, and a warranty replacement should be requested. If not the issue is with alignment, get it checked at another Tata service station or outside.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 08:07   #3719
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I am posting this as I am facing an issue with my Harrier which I nor the Service Centre guys are able to understand. And as a preface, please note that I have recently graduated from a Hyundai Verna to the Harrier.

The issue is that when I am driving my vehicle on a highway at speeds varying from 80-120 kmph and take my hands off the steering wheel, the vehicle starts to drift to the left. Earlier I thought that it was a wheel alignme ?
Hi Madhukriss,

- Try swapping only front tyres. From left to right and check the drive. If problem is associated with tyres, then drifting will naturally shifts from left to right. Then you can troubleshoot by inspecting those wheels closely and carry out wheel balancing and wheel balancing at competent wheel balancing centre.

- Ask service centre to inspect steering gear assembly for more backlash in gears than the nominal clearances, a lapse in quality of gears at the time of assembly. Chances are less though due to brand new vehicle. There is no harm in getting these things checked.

Venkatesh.H
Venkatesh.H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 10:25   #3720
BHPian

Did you notice any difference of efforts between Left & Right? If there is noticeable difference, then it might be the steering spool valve setting issue. There is a test to check the hydraulic pressure to confirm this.

If there is no difference between efforts, then it is wheel alignment issue. Also as other members have suggested, try swapping of front wheels. Some times, wheel balancing might be out of place. There are multiple checks you can do yourself in a simple wheel alignment garage.
Please PM me if you want more details, as I don't want to bore everyone here.
speedguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks