Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2019, 20:46   #3556
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
2. Infotainment system failure - Went off without warning. Restarted after 45 minutes on its own.
Attachment 1864348

3. Occasionally, the auto folding of the mirrors did not happen when the car was unlocked.
I have faced these two issues in my Nexon too. The former occurred a couple of times (haven't faced this so far after a software upgrade) and once the mirrors refused to open. So, possibly the same software and the same bug?
prakash_ajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 09:14   #3557
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

I have had this car for more than a week now and driven it for close to 500kms. In general, I love the car, but there certainly are some niggles, which I think I need to get used to or might just improve over time.

Pros:
- Very smooth and powerful engine. (I have rarely used the Sports mode though). The car is well insulated from the wind and tire noise. The engine noise is the only noise which gets in at high rpm. I have done relatively high speeds in city mode and on a slight foot on the pedal, and there was no considerable noise as the initial reviews have mentioned. When I had test driven this car in January, even I felt the boominess of the engine in Sports mode, but I don't feel the same in this car.
Disclaimer: I have not driven this car at high rpms and was always gradually building up speed, and the previous car which I had in comparison was the 2008 Hyundai Verna Diesel.
- Steering feels really good and gives the driver awesome control.
- Very good handling in city and especially on the highway.
- Killer looks, the presence on the road, parking lot is really good.
- Interior comfort front/rear is amazing.
- Audio setup is awesome.

Cons:
- Even though the gears looks short and appealing, they are not convenient to use, and are not smooth at all. I really hope this improves over time.
- The steering is very light at high speeds, which I consider a risk factor.
- In city mode, the engine stresses when going over a huge bump on the 2nd gear and sometimes stalls. And at this time, you can definitely feel the vibrations on the clutch pedal. I don't know if this would be the same in I had used Sports mode, or if I had set the Rough roads mode. This happened when I was on rough roads, but I had not set that mode.
- Blind spots because of the large mirrors and RVMs. This is my first SUV, so I still get intimidated every time I try to park this car, but on the road, the handling inspires confidence.
- I really wished this car had 2 USBs which connected to the infotainment system. I find the audio quality to be crisp when played from USB, rather than BT through saavn. And if I need the maps from Android Auto, then I don't have that option to use USB audio. And since the USB slot is practically hidden, it's not easy to swap the pen drive and the USB cable. Is there any alternative to have both a pen drive and the USB data cable connected at all times?

I have not faced any of the issues which GTO has mentioned though, i.e. Drive mode malfunction, Infotainment system failure, issues with the auto folding on the mirrors, or issues with the boot release button. I think it could be that these issues were fixed in the software update, or there are actual production differences between each month. My car is the February make.

Last edited by SDP : 1st April 2019 at 11:56. Reason: Edited out high speed reference. Please do not mention illegal speeds
micraft is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 12:14   #3558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[

• The Compass’ kerb weight is about the same as the Harrier. Yet, the Compass feels more agile while cornering. The Jeep is a LOT more fun to drive fast.

]
For Someone coming from a Duster would you call it an upgrade for ride and handling? Or is it a compromise?

Last edited by soumobakshi : 1st April 2019 at 12:20.
Old 1st April 2019, 12:16   #3559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft View Post
I really wished this car had 2 USBs which connected to the infotainment system. I find the audio quality to be crisp when played from USB, rather than BT through saavn. And if I need the maps from Android Auto, then I don't have that option to use USB audio. And since the USB slot is practically hidden, it's not easy to swap the pen drive and the USB cable. Is there any alternative to have both a pen drive and the USB data cable connected at all times?
Not sure if this will work - but you could try using a USB hub.
ihrishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 12:37   #3560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft View Post
Is there any alternative to have both a pen drive and the USB data cable connected at all times?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Not sure if this will work - but you could try using a USB hub.
Another option could be to use your phone or phones expanded storage to store songs. That way you could keep the USB cable plugged in at all times.

Glad to hear that you have faced fewer issues as a customer. I hope other owners will chip in with their experiences to make it a comprehensive and diverse data set. Tata really needs to sort these things out immediately and retrospectively.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 16:05   #3561
BHPian

I have been on the look out for a car to replace my aging swift and had been considering all options right from ecosport to Creta. Since the time Harrier details started surfacing, I decided to wait. No auto & large size were a bummer, but I still went ahead with a TD with great anticipation.

However, I was disappointed. While the car looks premium inside, had a chiller AC & VERY spacious - the engine noise and vibrations inside the car killed it for me. Not expected for a car for which you are shelling out 20 lakhs.

Could be down to initial cars or a poorly maintained TD vehicle, but for me, Harrier is out of contention.

Creta is the front runner now - hoping KIA launches a sensibly priced car.
funkyp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:54   #3562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
For Someone coming from a Duster would you call it an upgrade for ride and handling? Or is it a compromise?
Not sure you missed this piece. From his post,
Quote:
Ride quality is mature, but has a firm edge to it. It’s compliant…yet not what I would call plush like the Duster & Hexa. No comparison. The sharpness of potholes is felt inside and even at expressway speeds, you will always be aware of the kind of road you are driving on. This isn’t a car that will flatten bad roads like the Duster or Hexa. Don’t get me wrong – it is COMPLIANT and my passengers had no complaints, but it’s not plush.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4564872 (Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs)

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd April 2019 at 21:55.
Old 2nd April 2019, 22:07   #3563
BANNED

Tata Harrier Vs Hyundai Creta Vs Jeep Compass.

pavi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 20:33   #3564
BHPian

Tata Harrier sells more than Compass and XUV500 in month of March.

Quote:
Entering into a segment which was dominated by the likes of XUV500 & Compass at the higher range and Creta at the lower range was not an easy task. However; Harrier started off slow in the first month and registered a sale of 1,449 units in Feb’19. Tata seems to have scaled up production and was able to dispatch 2,492 units of Harrier in Mar’19. It was >500 units than the rival XUV500 & almost 1000 nos more than the Jeep’s Compass.

Harrier jumps to the third spot and registered a sale of ~2.5k units. It makes a strong entry into the ranking table and would be interesting to see how Tata could sustain the demand and synchronize its production accordingly.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-2.jpg

Source
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 21:35   #3565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Tata Harrier Vs Hyundai Creta Vs Jeep Compass
Probably this is the first time that the Harrier is getting a new definition of its value proposition - that of a near-perfect balance between the Creta and the Compass (no XUV, only 5-seaters for comparison)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Tata Harrier sells more than Compass and XUV500 in month of March
Well, well! Good signs, but hope they don't fade away too soon.
Compass will get stressed further if it doesn't quickly re-structure its pricing.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 22:00   #3566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Tata Harrier sells more than Compass and XUV500 in month of March.
No Hexa numbers here.

I guess Innova and Hexa are considered MUVs.

Last edited by discoverwild : 3rd April 2019 at 22:02.
Old 3rd April 2019, 22:00   #3567
BHPian

Yesterday i went to the showroom with a friend to check out the Harrier. For reference, i took the Hexa and my friend drove the Creta; i wanted to check the Harrier against both these cars. I have the Hexa XTA and Creta SX+ petrol auto.

The dealer had the orange colour car on display as well as for TD. Took a long TD as i wanted to check the car performance on my usual and familiar routes. So some horrible traffic roads, broken roads, 4 lane highway, road sections that have those rumble strips on them and bridges with bad expansion joints. What i saw and felt are:
1. Massive road presence! Vehicles move out of the way when they see you coming. But you in a Harrier will move out of the way when you will see a Hexa bearing down on you.

2. Car looks super in white. A customer was taking delivery in this colour. I liked it very much.

3. Cannot flatten bad roads like the Hexa. I have the XTA and even with that tyre and wheel combo it dismisses rumble strips and poor joints.

4. The Creta is good for me to go on tour by myself or with colleagues and associated luggage. The Harrier is better i felt in this regard; however, when i travel with the wife and the 3 year old terrorist, it is the Hexa that is used. For me, the Hexa is a 5 seater with a cave for a boot that can swallow his trike, pushbike, other toys and luggage. The Harrier won't cut it.

5. Both the Hexa and Creta have better interiors (but thats just me and i am biased!)

6. I find the lack of an auto model as surprising; perhaps i would have liked the car more if it was an automatic.

7. Better NVH would be nice; as would be redesigned wing mirrors. And while you are at it Tata, how about better wheel designs?

8. I did not face the "left leg" issue but the infotainment system did restart by itself.

9. Seats are nice but the Hexa seats are better suited for me; i am 6'1'' and 100kg. The interiors are very nice but they are no Creta/Hexa beater, quality of touch surfaces needs to improve.

10. The headlights have a good spread and throw; they are much better compared to the Hexa although the Creta with its single bi halogen projector setup was equally good. OT: I prefer powerful halogen + projector or 4300k HID system + projector over LED systems any day. Have driven my wife's swift Z+ that comes with LED projectors on a rainy night and it was not effective at all.

11. Tyres are noisy especially on those new fangled concrete highway roads but a change of rubber should make it better.

So if i was shopping around for a car now, would i buy the Harrier? Not yet i won't. Like GTO stated in his short review let them sort out the issues and then perhaps it can fill the empty slot in the garage. Yes i said the same thing in my 310RR review;let a few lots go by. Till then let the slot be empty or who knows, something better might come along!
N33raj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 00:01   #3568
BHPian

TATA despatches 2492 units of Harrier. Looks a promising volume for what is an imperfect TATA SUV costing 2 millions. Beats both Compass & XUV 500.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-2.jpg  

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 4th April 2019 at 00:03.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 00:42   #3569
BHPian

Selling close to 2.5K units per month is surely a big achievement for the Harrier and I am sure the numbers will further increase once Tata was able to ramp up the production. What caught my eye is that the big Tata was able to outsell even the MSIL's S-Cross, which was selling more than 3K units throughout last year after the facelift launch, but has now selling in the 2K levels in current year - might be the Harrier effect.

Kicks has settled around sub 1000 units as expected, however both the Compass and Creta, with which Harrier was competing at the either end of the price spectrums, has increased their sales this month compared to last month, denoting that the segment as such has grown as a whole.
Old 4th April 2019, 03:28   #3570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
TATA despatches 2492 units of Harrier. Looks a promising volume for what is an imperfect TATA SUV costing 2 millions. Beats both Compass & XUV 500.
These are initial dispatches, and while I hope for Tatas sake that this is a trend, I fear these may taper off a bit based on the reported quality inconsistency and issues.

These issues - though minor - may affect the brand in its nascent stage of changing perception. What would really hurt Tata would be if the niggles lead to unreliability.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks