Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2019, 15:07   #3676
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Have you taken a TD of the Harrier yet?
No, I have not. However, the vehicle I have been driving for the past 6 years has a mirror the same size as the one on the Harrier. (I am just back from the showroom where I checked the mirror size).

The problem that folks seem to be experiencing is not the size itself, but the position of the mirror. Due to the rake angle of the windshield on the Harrier, the mirror has been placed a little backwards. This placement + size is something people are not used to, and hence are commenting about it. In the Storme, the mirror is the same size (except for the corner /outline). But it is place a little further forward because the windshield there is more up-right.

It is a matter of getting used to. If this had been that big a problem, then it would have come up in the development or the extensive road tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Unless you are driving in Pune, where people usually drive more on the wrong side rather than on the correct side.
Do you think the traffic situation in cities like Bangalore / Hyd / Chennai etc are any different ?
condor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 08:21   #3677
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
No, I have not. However, the vehicle I have been driving for the past 6 years has a mirror the same size as the one on the Harrier. (I am just back from the showroom where I checked the mirror size).
Slight correction. In the Storme the mirror though big in size, is placed far lower than the almost line of sight placement of the Harrier. Actually, the Storme window height is low and seat height is high. This combination means the orvm are actually placed as to not obstruct side vision. Similar case with the Dicor and the Hexa. The Hexa has a steeper rake on the windshield and a thick A pillar, but somehow the mirrors don't cause obstruction in the view because I think the stalks are longer.

In the Harrier I guess someone forgot and the mirror has actually become a pain point, creating a big blind spot (enough to hide a large car).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th April 2019 at 09:11. Reason: Quote trimmed
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 09:02   #3678
BHPian

There is a Tata Motors showroom In the same building as my office. One of my colleagues who has booked the Harrier wanted to clear some doubts so I accompanied him. During the conversation the SA was of the opinion that the automatic might be coming in the next 3 to 4 months. He was pretty confident of the same and reiterated that it would be the Hyundai unit already spoken about in the past.
Thebat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 09:38   #3679

Just took Td and booked the XZ white

However I took notice of the following which needed an upgrade right from showroom,

The headlamps are stock halogen bulbs h7 and fog lamps are h16
Tata should have given drl led fog lamp for top variants
I think a 5000k led should do a good job

The rear signal lamps are also stock bulbs ,py21w which should also be replaced with led

The usb below the dashboard if not connected to infotainment system, can be useful if attached to a rotatable usb hub as in image attached

Has any harrier owner put sun control film like 3m cr 70 or garware

GPS tracker is very essential today , was planning to install one but am not aware of wiring although safest bet would be obd direct

Dash cam is also needed in today's times especially on 2 lanes and 4 lanes without dividers

Wiring is a concern because it voids warranty
Obd connection is available only for 1 device ..so have to choose between dash cam and gps tracker
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190413092408.png  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img20190408wa0020.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img20190408wa0019.jpg  

sswami4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 10:18   #3680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswami4 View Post

Obd connection is available only for 1 device ..so have to choose between dash cam and gps tracker
Congrats, Swami4 ! Wishing you a long and happy ownership of the Harrier.

One doubt: why do you want to connect these to the OBD ? Or are you referring to the USB ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 10:33   #3681

Thanks Condor
Dash cam with vibration sensor attached to obd starts off on motion and records in park mode as well
And gps trackerin obd makes sense IMHO to avoid aftermarket wirings
GPS tracker connected to usb makes it very visible

I took test drives of XUV 500, and then the Harrier,

This is an upgrade from SX4 which I felt all these years had no replacement.
Here are my thoughts

I took test drives like I would drive in emergency situations in all above vehicles
Xuv500
Found it absolutely unstable , the showroom salesperson sitting in the left rear seat practically got pushed to the right side before he could realise that he needs to grab on to the grab rails
Too much body roll , sideways without reason .
I could not bank on XUV for narrow lanes rough driving

Shifting from a sedan to a vehicle like XUV definitely made me feel a downgrade in terms of driving experience except for the better road visibility.

Harrier
I took it till highway speeds on a 2 lane , but it never left its grip and there was practically very less body roll and it stopped within seconds on an emergency brake without losing its control at all

I feel there is a big engineering difference between these two vehicles
For me cosmetics don't matter much
I have been driving on Mumbai - Delhi - Badrinath stretch from last over 13 yrs
Previously in a Baleno and then in an SX4 and never felt to be out of control even on high speeds
But XUV was giving me jitters even at 90kmph
Probably The SUV world is not meant for speeds like an aerodynamic sedan
Having said that I felt Harrier to be a little lower than a sedan for high speeds but much higher than XUV

Last edited by SDP : 13th April 2019 at 12:33. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use Edit or MultiQuote rather than posting one post after another.
sswami4 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 11:49   #3682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took test drives like I would drive in emergency situations in all above vehicles...
I hope that was on a open stretch of road, with clear visibility to both sides. Moreover, I can't understand the need of such type of emergency TD unless you are expecting majority of runs to be like this. But if its the case then you must be in a job which allows for siren and flashing lights and probably a pilot car as well.

Last edited by SDP : 13th April 2019 at 12:32. Reason: Edited out high speed reference from quote
AutoNoob is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 13:24   #3683
BHPian

The Headlamps are HID and not halogen; the high beams are halogen lamps.

By stock, do you mean halogen lamps in the tail indicators? They might not require an upgrade and seems to be doing a decent job.

Quote:

However I took notice of the following which needed an upgrade right from showroom,

The headlamps are stock halogen bulbs h7 and fog lamps are h16
Tata should have given drl led fog lamp for top variants
I think a 5000k led should do a good job

The rear signal lamps are also stock bulbs ,py21w which should also be replaced with led
Update: I had been to the service center today to have my boot door issue fixed. They aligned the trunk latch and it now locks without any additional pressure. The click/knock sounds which I had mentioned in my review is apparently due to DMF, the same unit which the Jeep Compass ships along with.

I was wondering if any of the Compass owners had any luck in having this issue sorted?
soji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 15:04   #3684

Quote:
Originally Posted by soji View Post
The Headlamps are HID and not halogen; the high beams are halogen lamps.

By stock, do you mean halogen lamps in the tail indicators? They might not require an upgrade and seems to be doing a decent job.
Yes...I meant the high beams, haven't driven harrier in night time, but my Innova crysta hid projectors are not enough to drive , have to use fog lamps and high beam at occasions..

Tail indicators , yes I was referring to them , IMHO bulbs are kind of dated now... especially I felt it was not keeping upto the sleek modernistic tail lamp on the harrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I hope that was on a open stretch of road, with clear visibility to both sides. Moreover, I can't understand the need of such type of emergency TD unless you are expecting majority of runs to be like this. But if its the case then you must be in a job which allows for siren and flashing lights and probably a pilot car as well.
The reason for such Td is to actually get the pulse of the vehicle
Any new 2019 car would presumably run smooth may it be any make on a Td
The real quality for me would be when pushed to certain limits from start..
I drive in almost all terrains and the engineering speaks for itself only when pushed to some limit..

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th April 2019 at 15:13.
Old 13th April 2019, 15:43   #3685
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The reason for such Td is to actually get the pulse of the vehicle
Any new 2019 car would presumably run smooth may it be any make on a Td
The real quality for me would be when pushed to certain limits from start..
I drive in almost all terrains and the engineering speaks for itself only when pushed to some limit..

Now I am beginning to understand what the Range Rover prospective customer was thinking during the TD that went horribly wrong.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...s-injured.html (High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured)

I don't understand your logic in trying out an use-case (how does the car handle during emergency driving) during TD itself, the probability of which occuring may be 1-2% during the car's entire ownership tenure. Most people try to get a feel of the car in the most common use-cases . .how does it drive in city and how does it drive on highway.

But anyways, I don't want to take this thread off-topic.

Would love to hear more about your ownership experience instead. Why don't you start a proper detailed ownership thread? When is the delivery date?

Last edited by SDP : 13th April 2019 at 17:46.
SDP is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 16:29   #3686

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Now I am beginning to understand what the Range Rover prospective customer was thinking during the TD that went horribly wrong.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...s-injured.html (High-speed Range Rover Evoque test drive gone wrong; driver dead & passengers injured)
Thank you mods
And
With the post and images
190 on Td is way beyond my understanding as well
But I get the crux behind what you meant
Safe driving is something which should always be in the head

The delivery date is expected to be June 1st week
And would love an ownership thread
Thanks again mods

I'm a newbie to team bhp
Am unable to find how to start a new thread option
If anyone can assist
Thanks

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th April 2019 at 17:58. Reason: back to back posts merged. Not your mistake though.
sswami4 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th April 2019, 17:40   #3687
BHPian

Somewhere in Pune uniquely wrapped Tata Harrier. This time the wrap is not limited to roof.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-8a8b6f533ff54364b78224c766ca3fdb.jpeg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-4408e9f0e7b54c7bbe881663e3a6208b.jpeg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-d936856397c645c2a8040e39b52df1de.jpeg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-6a24b508af4649e7ad5d47a28e49748e.jpeg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-3b033637c5e84bb9818a6b6ce8845bfd.jpeg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-d1b7ab034915402caa885399c31ad230.jpeg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-76926f86b28e424d9d117331f1de84da.jpeg

Source
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 03:11   #3688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The usb below the dashboard if not connected to infotainment system, can be useful if attached to a rotatable usb hub as in image attached.

GPS tracker is very essential today

Dash cam is also needed

Wiring is a concern because it voids warranty
Actually you don't need to choose. Use the OBD for the Dashcam and the existing USB port for the infotainment system.

For all other purposes, you can add additional USB ports without voiding warranty. Check out the below thread on fuse tapping. Though this particular one is specific to the Ford Aspire, it will give you an idea of what needs to done.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4150915 (DIY Fuse Tapping the Figo/Aspire: A clean way to power accessories)

I have added 3 such ports - 1 in the front, 1 in the back and 1 hidden.

The GPS tracker can be hidden behind the dash or kept in the glovebox. You can also add 2 ports on the back, in the sides of the passenger seats.

All this would be DIY. The are a lot threads here on the forum to guide you in this. Specifically look for threads by paragsachania, arunphilip and Mr.Boss.

Alternatively, you could ask the TATA guys or any competent accessories store to do it for you.

PS: Forget about using USB hubs of any sort. I have tried a few and they never last. Loose connections, falling off, breaking, etc.
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 10:07   #3689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Somewhere in Pune uniquely wrapped Tata Harrier.
Looks good. And the design "treatment" flows through to the alloy wheels too.
The setup seems to be done inside a Tata showroom, with the Nexon et al seen in the background.

The funky bee hive shaped color wraps on the grill and the door panels, remind me of the Nexon Kraz (link) though.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 12:23   #3690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Looks good. And the design "treatment" flows through to the alloy wheels too.
The setup seems to be done inside a Tata showroom, with the Nexon et al seen in the background.

The funky bee hive shaped color wraps on the grill and the door panels, remind me of the Nexon Kraz (link) though.
This mod is being provided at dealer level for 25K onwards by few dealers. I saw the ad in cartorque. Harrier has a striking design by default. This additional dealer level mod will caters to the individual liking, making it more head turns on road.

Venkatesh.H is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks