Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2018, 13:30   #2191
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Rushlane has said some really stupid things in the past (such as 'breaking news' on the Harrier AT offering 'creep' function, Harrier taking sharp turns at 120 KMPH etc) and I wouldn't take their report very seriously.
Ohh! Thankfully, I don't follow them unless an article of theirs pops on my Google Feed (triggered by some automotive keywords). And thank God for TBHP and BHPians like you for saving us from incorrect, inconsequential information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
While the system on the Harrier is undoubtedly better than the regular 2WD, it cannot match the 4WD.
That was precisely my thought. Couldn't understand why would they fan such fallacies. That couldn't have been the official Tata statement on AWD/4WD. Now that you mentioned about Rushlane, it could have been the handiwork of one over-excited but under-informed journo over there.
mroutlander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 14:00   #2192
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

After watching all the reviews and opinions after the harrier launch, i feel the following:

Let us try to judge the Harrier on a checklist for it to be called a premium SUV:

1. Looks and road presence: Apart from the overdone front, looks great and premium - CHECK
2. Size, space, comfort: no doubts here - CHECK
3. Interior quality: Its good especially given the price - CHECK
4. Safety: specifications are good and like Nexon, we expect this to score 5 star rating as well - Yet to be proven but seems good
5. Refinement and cabin Insulation: noisy engine and not so good NVH as per most of the reviews - Not good but can be fixed by Tata
6. AWD and AT: those options must be added in the future to qualify as a premium SUV
7. Ride and Handling: seems good from the reviews - CHECK
8. Engine and gearbox: more power and refinement is desirable along with the option for AT but current specs seem acceptable for the price

Conclusion:

So in my opinion,
1. Harrier seems to be better value for money and definitely a better buy for people who want SUV looks and have the budgets around top variants of Creta, hence a better buy than the Creta. I will say it seems better than the XUV also except for the AT/AWD variants.
2. For people who dont mind little MPVish looks, Hexa still seems a more premium and better package at 20 L
3. Jeep Compass seems to justify the premium SUV tag better than Harrier as of now though at slightly higher prices.
4. Harrier still needs some work in the areas mentioned above to truly justify that premium SUV tag but as of now it seems good enough to make a significant damage to Creta's sales numbers but not that of Compass's.
5. If Tata can improve upon the Refinement, NVH, cabin insulation and provide a top spec variant with AWD, AT, sunroof, xenons/LEDs, etc. Harrier can seriously be called a Premium SUV and it can even justify a price tag of 25 L on road.
46TheDoctor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 14:17   #2193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
MG, no matter how much they try to play up their legacy, is a Chinese vehicle.
Absolutely. No doubts on that! I don't think they are trying to hide that fact either - flying out the largest media contingent to have ever been flown overseas to China for seeing their facilities and cars, as reported by Suhas just last week here.

Although I think its best to decide if its a good or bad thing being Chinese after the final product hits the market - same like we expect TATA to bring value to the market, MG might just offer even better value to overcome that 'Chinese' tag.

Although their first product is most likely to be based on the Baojun 530, which seems rather mediocre - here's the HS SUV (crossover rather) that is reportedly getting ready for a 2019 launch as well in the Indian market to take on the likes of TATA Harrier and Jeep Compass, and will be powered by the same 2.0 Multijet. Rajeev Chaba has also clearly stated on record that there are eyeing for a 5 star safety rating before their product hits the market. Will need to keep a watch at the corner of an eye.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-sean9811-1.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-sean9884-1.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th December 2018 at 14:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 15:39   #2194
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to Tata for bringing in such a wonderful product. It is more bang for the buck compared to the Creta. If the Nexon with two airbags can land a 5 star rating, I have no doubt in my mind how the Harrier with side and curtain airbags will end up. It is atleast two sizes bigger than the Creta and much more feature loaded. Tata have left no stone unturned as far as the interiors are concerned. Top class materials have been used, be it for the seats, the dashboard, the instrument console. Space is comparable to a football field. NVH is a minor issue which can be handled outside too. Overall a brilliant effort from Tata. You can no longer blame them for not trying. Over to the market now.
longhorn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 18:41   #2195
BHPian

Quote:
Tata Harrier Automatic Expected Around Mid-2019

The Tata Harrier will get a 6-speed torque converter sourced from Hyundai
The Tata Harrier, which is set to go on sale in January 2019, will initially be offered with a diesel-manual FWD combo
A Hyundai-sourced 6-speed torque convertor unit will be offered at a later date
Currently, only the Hexa offers a conventional automatic gearbox; the rest of Tata’s lineup get AMTs instead
The Harrier is expected to be priced in the range of Rs 13 lakh - Rs 18 lakh (ex-showroom)

Tata’s upcoming flagship SUV, the Harrier, is set to launch in January 2019 with a single powertrain option - a 2.0-litre Fiat-sourced diesel engine mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox that drives the front wheels. However, Tata Motors has now confirmed that the Harrier will get an automatic gearbox by mid-2019.

The transmission in question is a 6-speed torque converter which will be sourced from South Korean major, Hyundai. This transmission can currently be found on the Tucson, which is one of the Harrier’s primary rivals. Like the Harrier’s Fiat-sourced 6-speed manual ‘box, the automatic too will drive the front wheels as Tata Motors is not keen on bringing an AWD variant anytime soon due to miniscule demand for 4X4 SUVs.

Currently, the Hexa is the only vehicle in Tata’s lineup to offer a conventional automatic transmission - a 6-speed torque converter. Tata Motors sources the Hexa’s 6L50 6-speed AT from Punch Powerglide Strasbourg (PPS) France, a former General Motors company.

It must be noted that the Harrier features a transverse engine configuration while the Hexa gets a longitudinally-mounted unit. This means that the Hexa’s 6L50 gearbox does not fit the Harrier’s Fiat-sourced motor. The placement of the 2.0-litre engine also limits the number of gearbox options for the Harrier. While Tata Motors could have gone with a 9-speed automatic from ZF, this would have put the Harrier at a severe disadvantage in terms of cost. Coincidentally, the Harrier’s biggest rival, the Jeep Compass, is available with the same 2.0-litre engine and 9-speed ZF automatic in international markets.

As far as the Rs 15 lakh to Rs 21 lakh diesel SUV segment is concerned, only the Hyundai Tucson and the Mahindra XUV 500 are available with a diesel-auto combo. Jeep is set to join the ranks with the launch of the Compass Trailhawk equipped with the above mentioned 9-speed automatic early next year. Expect automatic variants of the Tata Harrier to retail somewhere in between Rs 19 lakh to Rs 20 lakh (ex-showroom).
source

Some good news for those who were disappointed with no automatic at launch.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th December 2018 at 11:35. Reason: Minor formatting
nainan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 20:08   #2196
Senior - BHPian

While I don't have an immediate requirement to replace my current TUV3OO, Tata Harrier has generated some interest and I might end up doing a test drive once it is available. I have watched number of reviews and car looks promising. With Tata Nexon securing Global NCAP five star rating, hope Tata Harrier will at least match it. Safety will be a key requirement in my next car.
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 21:28   #2197
BHPian

My two cents based on what I see customers in India and comments in this thread
1. Lack of a sunroof - I personally don't like sunroof since the primary use people put it to is for kids to stand with their heads out. I agree this will hit sales but is actually better.
2. Lack of Isofix - Again agreed this is important but how many kids do you see in child seats or even seated on the rear seat. Normally, kids sit in the front seat on an adults lap. Further, how many adults Belt themselves in the rear seat? After a couple of months, the rear seat belts are tucked into the seats so that they do not poke into people's rears.
3. From what I have seen Tata cars, they are praised during test drives for ride quality and features and even price (E.g. The Indigoes, Manza). However, this does not seem to translate into sales. I sincerely hope Tata does not meet this fate with the Harrier.
adits is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 09:09   #2198
BHPian

Tata Harrier crash tested before launch – Scores top safety points

Quote:
India does not have a star rating system for car safety as of now. So there is no safety rating available. But the Harrier has been crash tested, and it has scored the highest points in all types of safety tests conducted.
Source
JS Kwt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 09:28   #2199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
Tata Harrier crash tested before launch – Scores top safety points

Source
Nothing much in that article - it looks just a filler. Tata has been crash-testing their cars for quite some time now. They have a facility in UK (I think not related to JLR) where a lot of testing is done. And in this day & age, that article does not make sense at all.
condor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 09:36   #2200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And in this day & age, that article does not make sense at all.
True. 'Passing' Bharat NCAP tests mean nothing. Swift had claimed to have passed the tests - but all that meant is an unstable structure and 2 star rating with dual airbags.

I'm expecting Harrier to score nothing less than 5 star going by the brilliant results TATA is getting in safety tests these days - just that this article and that 'pass' result means nothing, yet.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 09:38   #2201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Nothing much in that article - it looks just a filler. Tata has been crash-testing their cars for quite some time now. They have a facility in UK (I think not related to JLR) where a lot of testing is done. And in this day & age, that article does not make sense at all.
Rushlane at it again! I think they just guess and write articles to fill the pages.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 12:11   #2202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Unfortunate but true Nainan! Most mfrs (including TML and M&M) have been offering pseudo SUVs/ soft-roaders/ X-overs - call them what you will - but basically under all the spin-doctoring and the media bling, they are just large hatches-on-stilts-and-steroids!
This is so true but I wonder if its so expensive to build a 4wd for a vehicle that has a large enough engine bay a transmission tunnel and space for the differentials. I also like to think what else is eating up cost and whether the compromise is worth it.

My expectation with the Harrier and the H7X has been to have improved on the dated looks, the rubbery manual gearshift better fit and finish while retaining the good bits of ride, handling essentially an incremental improvement over the very capable Hexa minus the baggage of the Aria with a bit more SUV DNA.

But at least looking at the leaked pricing Tata seems to be progressing towards taking the premium tag a tad too seriously and in the proposition losing value.

I still reserve my verdict on the Harrier as too less is known and I have not driven it but do wonder if the leaked pricing has done them more harm than benefit and if the premium tag is more asset or liability when they are looking at the Harrier making them a consistent no: 3 in the PV market by volume.

I also feel the capability aspect of land rover is what needs to be the focus rather than the premium aspect.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 12:29   #2203
BHPian

My two cents. I own a Safari Storme early version and have been very happy with that. Barring the lack of disco effect instrument cluster, the floating entertainment unit and ofcourse 6 airbags (i dont miss them yet), i have had no problems to date while putting out nearly 80k on the odo. The truck has done multiple long distance runs and about 60% of the miles crunched has been on national, state highways and dirt tracks. I thought i erred on not buying the 4WD but then it has continued sedately and does its duty

Harrier - Lack of AWD - I wonder of the 3000+ bookings done, how many will actually use the AWD given that a lot of it will be on motorable roads. Unless you are a rally beast running on beaten down tracks, this will not make any noticeable difference. Also, seeing the media launch drives on sands of Rajasthan, i think AWD is non essential now

Harrier - AMT - In big cities wherein bookings will come this is a must. Esp cities like Bangalore, Gurugram (read NCR), Mumbai. Again, joy of driving is in shift changes. I am sure as some of the report suggests Tata will bring the AMT mid of next year as the initial booking hype reduces.

Getting a vehicle with a JLR platform at a substantially reduced cost may make a big difference to people.

My best in Harrier till date
1. Overall looks. I remember when i drove the Storme very early in its life in Bangalore, i had everybody turn around look at it and the bikers moving away to give way to the truck. Road presence is must for a lot of us and Harrier does its job well here

2. Platform and engineering has been high quality as of now based on reports. For an Indian mnfr who lined up trucks, minis and cars that sounded like trucks this is a significant change. Also, compared to Creta this is definitely miles ahead on engineering

3. As someone said in one of the earlier posts - a lot of fringe benefits will be missed in the 1st week and then from week 4 onwards you would have learnt to drive without it.

4. Hydraulic steer - Oh my, how i enjoyed the Fusion with its hydraulic steer. To feel the road in your hands was an awesome feel and to this day EPS does not pass muster. Tata has retained this on the Harrier and that is the best part of the vehicle.

5. The wheel sizes could have been a notch bigger to fill the big arches. But there is always aftermarket fits.

6. Space seems to be oodles and compared to the Jeep seems 3 on the rear bench is possible. So another one point checked out

7. The disappointing part is the power output. On a compatitive with Jeep which uses the same engine and a similar body weight the output is at least 30bhp lower. This wouldve made the difference for enthusiasts.

I think the vehicle would cater to segments who are Tata fans, people who are looking for a vehicle in the range below Jeep with most of the creature comforts and safety compared to the Creta.

Now, if only the Storme had been developed on a similar platform and with some of the bells and whistles it would have been awesome move. I still wait for the day when there would be a replacement to Storme with a top notch SUV in an affordable price range. (Not closer to the Fortuners, Endeavours )
subraiyr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 12:57   #2204
BHPian

Finally, the covers are off Harrier. And it has got mixed reviews.

If we, for a moment, keep aside the Auto and AWD, then here are the issues reported:

- NVH - Big issue, but can be improved with damping material. It could be the car media cars were with minimum sound dampening materials.
- Sunroof - High possibility that it could be offered as an accessory
- Dual color scheme - same as above, could be offered at the time of price launch
- Color options - More colors could be added in Mid Year update (as they did with Hexa, Urban brown was added)
- Ergonomic issues - There are some, it could be make or break for few people but I believe many would not mind it (just my thoughts)
- No All wheel disc brakes - Could be included later on

Now whats going for Harrier (Factors which people consider while buying, 90% will be driven on tarmac):

- Great design, with amazing road presence
- Almost all the features are available barring few, no auto seats, no heated mirrors - dont see as a deal breaker
- Great ride quality with different drive modes
- Great interior (in a 5 seater SUV/c-SUV) segment
- Good Power and Torque ratings
- All the safety features included

Now, everything will boil down to price, here are the features missing from Hexa:

- Not a 7 seater
- No All wheel disc brakes
- No AWD
- No AT
- Engine of lesser rating
- No heated mirrors
- NVH not at par with Hexa
- Wheels only 17" and not as flashy as Hexa

Now if I were TML, I would in no way position Harrier above Hexa. So my guess is:

Assuming the pricing was released for AT and AWD version i.e., from 16 L to 21 L OTR.

I am speculating Harrier to be priced Between INR 11.85 to 16.2 L (Ex showroom)

-PK

Last edited by pk_del : 10th December 2018 at 13:01.
pk_del is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 13:00   #2205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peus017 View Post
On a similar note - I enquired about Hexa almost 6 months ago for Blore location, and looks like I am yet to receive a TD vehicle.
Did you try KHT Brookefield? They were very prompt and got me a Hexa and the Storme for a test ride soon after I enquired. The sales guy also gave me quite a long drive encoraging me to push the vehicle till he was satisfied that he has demonstrated everything he wanted to.
nainan is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks