Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2018, 10:22   #2116
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartyasg View Post
Highlights the off road capability and terrain response, something OD and ACI haven't covered well.

The motorbeam reviewer also says that the Harrier will be priced at 16-21 lacs OTR MUMBAI.. so that means that they have considered the road tax as per Mumbai. So roughly that should translate into 13.5-18 lacs ex showroom as per my estimate. Any Mumbaikars here can share the exact road tax details so we can arrive at more accurate ex showroom prices!
In the motorbeam review It was great that the reviewer tested it in sand and actually was quite happy. The Harrier was able to get out of sandy pits which my Compass 4x2 typically gets stuck in! Guess electronics can help a bit in rough road mode even with a 4x2.
I do hope that Tata do come out with an Auto version soon and also a 4x4 variant!

Last edited by SDP : 7th December 2018 at 22:39. Reason: Removing video link from quoted part
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 10:29   #2117
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Two questions:
  1. Engine performance - How difficult would it be to have a 170HP remap?
  2. Why is no one comparing the Harrier with the Hexa? Both are expected to have a significant price overlap. Would be great to see the ladder on frame go head to head with the Omega platform.
sprocket is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 10:45   #2118
Senior - BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Watched the Autocar review today morning. Is it only me or Autocar reviews have generally been overly critical of Tata.

I would actually give it to Hormazd here. He probably called a spade a spade. Off late Autocar reviews were sounding like paid advertisements and this review was refreshing.

Honestly, the Harrier is more car per car.

Assuming the top spec retails for 17 lakhs ex showroom, remove the 45% GST,that would leave TATA with 10-12 lakhs (including any input credits) for the Harrier. At this price point I guess Tata has got most things right with the Harrier. The minor issues/omissions,we have to live with, considering the price points. I was not expecting anything earth shattering with this car. My two cents.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 7th December 2018 at 11:08.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 10:47   #2119
BHPian

Not having proper noise insulation seems to be the only real concern that is evident in every review. Eagerly waiting for TBHP review since Harrier being a Tata product

I just realise, NONE of the video reviewers talk about the positioning of the arm rest which means its OK and acceptable. As a matter of fact, it looks comfortable when someone is driving as the arm rest supports you with the right reach to gear stick. I believe, this would put rest to further speculation on arm rest position!

My guess is that we would soon have XZ+ variant with all the missing goodies like Sunroof, Auto-dimming IRVM, possibly powered seat adjustments, etc.

Automatic Transmission - There is every possibility that Hyundai would have delayed this in purpose!

Pricing - Instead of speculating further more, lets wait for the real launch from the brand.

Prem.

Last edited by kaviprem : 7th December 2018 at 10:55.
kaviprem is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 11:51   #2120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Two questions:
  1. Why is no one comparing the Harrier with the Hexa? Both are expected to have a significant price overlap. Would be great to see the ladder on frame go head to head with the Omega platform.

Yep! I'm eagerly waiting for the official review from Mods as well and in that, I'd really appreciate a dedicated section that compares the Harrier with the Hexa.

Although, the lack of AT helps scratch the Harrier off of my list and tips the scale squarely in favor of the Hexa XTA. There's a part of me that's still in love w/ the Harrier's interior. Hard to let go.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 12:03   #2121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Punch Powerglide makes transmissions only for longitudinal mount engines,
So I had a look at the ZF transmissions portfolio and the eligible models for a transverse mounted engine was the 9 speed auto model in the higher end of their portfolio. Being a 9-speed auto, it is also bound to be pretty expensive and so far has been adopted only by FCA. I guess cheaper automatic options for transverse mounted engine is limited. Hyundai being a direct competitor is also a dicey bargain. If Tata wasn't plagued by JLR issues, they would have surely preferred an auto plant in India itself.
lurker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 12:06   #2122
BHPian

Read/ watched the reviews and as some people have said above, am a bit underwhelmed. So without sounding negative, here's my wish list for a future 'Harrier Sport' variant :

a) AWD
b) 180 hp tune
c) Auto GB
d) Panaromic sunroof
e) Powered driver seat
f) 18" alloys
g) Better cabin insulation

And I'll be willing to pay 25 L on road!! Deal ? How difficult could it be to have these options for a price ?
Inder7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 12:10   #2123
BHPian

Superb product by Tata, no doubt. As far as exteriors go, I felt that the rear could have been a bit better, had they spaced out the things that are all in the middle now. I am talking about the Tata Logo, Number plate and the HARRIER badge...all in middle one below the other. That area just looks too busy compared to the rest of the clean back.

IMHO, it would have looked better if they had put the HARRIER badge in a spaced out manner....
H.........A. ..........R. ........... R. ........ I. ...... ..... E. .......... R

But then it could just be me
Rodie09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 12:16   #2124
BHPian

I want to cancel my online booking, since there is no AT. As posted by someone few pages back, I sent an email to customercare@tatamotors.com with the subject Tata Harrier Cancellation Do I need to do anything else? Does anyone have any idea/experience about this? Appreciate your help.
Old 7th December 2018, 12:20   #2125
BHPian

Based on the reviews so far, I don’t think the AT version of the Harrier is going to be a great car to drive. Noisy engine with a slightly laggy gear box is going to be pretty harsh to drive atleast in the stop n go city traffic IMO. Infact I feel that my Tucson’s gearbox sucks up a lot of power and Tucson’s powerful/smooth engine masks the shortcomings of the gearbox to a certain extent. But when the same gearbox is mated to a less torquey more noisier engine, things may get worse.
ece2k2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 13:03   #2126
Senior - BHPian

The Outside rear view mirrors in the Harrier seem to be placed a bit higher than usual. Plus they are very large. Those mirrors are definitely going to create a blind spot while driving around bends and corners. A safety hazard for sure. Tata better change the design and placement of the ORVMs.

Just 425 litres of bootspace? It seems too small for an MUV of this size. Also its going to be a tight fit if they are planning a variant with a third row in that space.

Overall it looks like a good and competent Creta competitor

Last edited by for_cars1 : 7th December 2018 at 13:16.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 13:39   #2127
BHPian

Rush Lane review.

Summing it up:*It is clear that the Harrier is a driver's car – period. It was a pleasant surprise and a revelation behind the wheel and the development engineers at Tata seem to have nearly nailed it on the head when it comes to driving dynamics and ride comfort. The Tata Harrier is a brilliant package and is engaging to drive with handling characteristics which are not expected from a car of it's footprint. What's more, the OmegaArc is a modular platform, 4WD ready and the current version in it's top trim is already loaded with electronic wizardry which is often seen on AWD/4WD cars – get the drift?

Kitna deti hai, you ask?*During our enthusiastic jaunt, the real time FE dropped to about 11 kmpl. While driven sanely around 80-90, the Harrier's MID read 18.5+ kmpl. Expect it to deliver around 13-14 kmpl with mix of Highway and City traffic conditions.

Should you buy Tata Harrier?*Tata Harrier has JLR's legendary pedigree, stylish exteriors, luxurious and spacious interiors, powerful engine, advanced technology integrations and some of the best safety and security features. It offers superior performance and durability. However, there are minor issues like the plastic quality in some places is not on par with the overall quality of the car, fit and finish is not consistent in some places, missing features like automatic transmission, petrol option, sunroof and AWD / 4×4.

Competition is tough and unless a new car offers more value than existing rivals, it will be a challenge to remain relevant in the market. Nevertheless, this is not only the best Tata car, but is also the best driver's car made by any Indian car maker till date.
bageherath is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 13:46   #2128
BHPian

Harrier may be a 5 star rated car, now that Nexon became the first Indian car to score 5 star rating. Kudos Tata!!!

jpcoolguy is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 14:21   #2129
A M
BHPian

Just saw a couple of reviews.

This car seems to have road presence. And this is one reason why I see it as a hit in the markets of Panjab and Haryana. Will be the next hot favourite in the University campuses.

As being pointed out that the car could do with better noise insulation, I hope Tata takes this feedback home and fixes it in customer cars.

I do see a winner at Tata's hands.
A M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 14:21   #2130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Harrier may be a 5 star rated car, now that Nexon became the first Indian car to score 5 star rating. Kudos Tata!!!
This is a commendable effort. Looks like they take safety seriously. It is sad that average Indian consumers aren't safety savvy. It takes effort to convince family members to wear seatbelts even after they have been in minor accidents!

See the comment by Guenter Butschek (full interview here).

"In almost all other markets the industry drives the technological advancements of the products but not in India. In India, technological advancement is driven by the regulatory environment. As long as the regulator does not demand a second airbag the vehicle does not get a second airbag."

The interview sheds light on Tata's aspirations for their brand after launching products like the Harrier.
puntOOs is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks