Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2018, 10:35   #331
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

2019 would be 25th anniversary for Tata Motors as an indigenous SUV manufacturer in India, if we link this with Tata Sumo. Vision was great, but in between M&M had better execution and went far ahead. In terms of SUVs, M&M is still the king with Bolero, Scorpio and XUV500 in its fold.

In between the compact SUVs (pseudo SUV!) came in vogue. Starting from a capable offer in the name of Duster, today Brezza and Creta are ruling the roost. And then came Jeep Compass which threatened XUV500, Hexa and Tuscon likes more than the smaller SUVs.

Harrier in its 5 seater avatar may like to challenge both the segments together, with focus on destabilizing the Creta to Compass spread. Nexon will keep competing with Brezza. Unfortunately, no able competition visible from M&M stable.

So, in all probability don't expect Harrier to breach Creta's price offering model-wise, at least initially. While more capable models (4x4, automatic) may rub its shoulders with the Compass.

Pricing strategy for the 7 seater Harrier would be a tough thing as it may cannibalize its own product Hexa. Only if TM would be that serious about this very capable but under-selling SUV.

A lot of excitement in offering in next one year!
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2018, 11:36   #332
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
Unfortunately, no able competition visible from M&M stable.

So, in all probability don't expect Harrier to breach Creta's price offering model-wise, at least initially. While more capable models (4x4, automatic) may rub its shoulders with the Compass.

Pricing strategy for the 7 seater Harrier would be a tough thing as it may cannibalize its own product Hexa. Only if TM would be that serious about this very capable but under-selling SUV.

A lot of excitement in offering in next one year!
I fear the 5 seater will find the going difficult in a Creta dominated market with only its geniune SUV roots with a 4WD and sizing being the only major advantages so pricing it below the compass before it starts getting traction will be the best way to go. Against the Jeep which has a more powerful engine and a better brand name it is bound to fail.

Its the 7 seater which has to potential to perform as it will definitely outclass the ageing XUV 500 its only competitor. They only have to watch out to keep it below the range of the XUV 700 which has full size SUV dimensions and a more powerful engine and with Mahindra's badge else it might end up like the Aria.

The Hexa I feel has a different target buyer as its more MUV than SUV. Then again the diverse product portfolio might end up improving customer confidence and building up a brand image helping more sales.

Anyways I am excited as an ex Safari owner to see Tata upping the game. Eagerly awaiting more action on the 7 seater front as that is where I see Tata redeeming their SUV maker credentials. Unfair that they only talk about the 5 seater and giving the 7 seater stepmotherly treatment.

Last edited by nainan : 14th July 2018 at 11:39. Reason: Adding some more thoughts
nainan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 13:50   #333
BHPian

Came across this link:

https://www.cartoq.com/exclusive-tat...tll-look-like/
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharriersuvcartoqrenderfeatured.jpg  

Car-Agey is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 16:33   #334
Senior - BHPian

Harrier !! Can't they think of any other name? This is surely very sad name. Tata should really think on it and come up with some other name for this car. This car definitely has potential to do well in India, design looks neat. Please Tata, search for more names and come up with something better.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 16:38   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Harrier !! Can't they think of any other name? This is surely very sad name. Tata should really think on it and come up with some other name for this car. This car definitely has potential to do well in India, design looks neat. Please Tata, search for more names and come up with something better.
I think they are naming it after the Harrier jump jet or the bird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrier_Jump_Jet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrier_(bird)

I don't mind the name at all.
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 19:24   #336
BHPian

Tata HARRIER spotted camouflaged on the streets of Pune

kalleo4 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 20:06   #337
BHPian

I'm done waiting. It's been forever and I don't think they'll have something exponentially more exciting than the Creta.

I've waited fairly long & realised that unless Tata has a product that has instant success & further sustainably positions the car to capture & hold the imagination of the people, this will remain as just another mildly interesting Tata product.

For example, Tiago started off with providing excellent positioning & value. I don't see that happening with Harrier because people in that segment aren't as value conscious as they are conscious of the positioning & the Brand.

I'm not calling out its doom, but to me it might not be as exceptionally interesting enough to warrant further wait.
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 20:28   #338
Senior - BHPian

@WorkingGuru - We are very clear about the launch date (First quarter of 2019). We can't complain or accuse Tata.

Last edited by Latheesh : 19th July 2018 at 20:30.
Latheesh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 10:13   #339
BHPian

Just saw a video review of Motorbeam which is hosted on TATA motor's official pagehttps://harrier.tatamotors.com/#reviews. Reviewer says Harrier would be a premium offering and will be positioned above HEXA ! IIRC HEXA starts @ 12.5 for XE variant. If Harrier starts above this price point, TATA's marketing and sales team would have a tough time in a segment ruled by Creta.

For one, i hope this turns out false and TATA comes up with a WOW pricing for this WOW product (Why take only the engine from Compass take it's success formula as well)
vaasscit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 10:43   #340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
TATA's marketing and sales team would have a tough time in a segment ruled by Creta.

For one, i hope this turns out false and TATA comes up with a WOW pricing for this WOW product (Why take only the engine from Compass take it's success formula as well)
Why not? If Harrier is specced similar to the Compass including the engine - how can it be priced well below Creta?

I feel it should do well at Creta's price - the specs sheet is way superior to the Hyundai, which is a perfect SUV without even having a 4WD option.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th July 2018 at 10:44.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 10:45   #341
Senior - BHPian

Well, with that MJD 2.0 and Creta pricing, it would certainly do well. BUT if its priced on par with Compass, then it is going to be difficult as in that range, people do care about brand too. I am waiting for Harrier launch and ok even if its priced on par with Creta
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 11:18   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

New Tata Harrier H5X SUV rear drum brakes spied - speculated to be the base variant.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierh5xspiedreardrumbrake4750x430.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierh5xspiedreardrumbrake2750x430.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierh5xspiedreardrumbrake3.jpg

link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 11:38   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why not? If Harrier is specced similar to the Compass including the engine - how can it be priced well below Creta?

I feel it should do well at Creta's price - the specs sheet is way superior to the Hyundai, which is a perfect SUV without even having a 4WD option.
I'm not expecting it to be priced WELL below creta but on par (9 to I5L). Creta has become the Swift of the SUV world and to have a good chance of selling well, TATA should not only play the Spec card but the Price card as well.

IIRC Harrier would use 140 bhp version of 2.0 L MJ engine. Compass uses it in 170 bhp version.

Any speculation on the petrol motor which would be used on Harrier ?
vaasscit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 12:19   #344
Senior - BHPian

Harrier is easily wider and longer compared to Creta and expected to be more powerful as well. I still doubt if the real car will be as aggressive as the H5x concept but it surely is more premium than Creta.

As someone compared with Tiago, well this could very well repeat Tiago which is much premium compared to Celerio yet is priced similar.

With Harrier, i am sure Tata will be trying to eat into the Creta+XUV+Jeep sales. Personally i find HEXA to be a people mover and both Harrier and HEXA can co-exist.

It will be the 7 seater (H7x?) that might become their flagship beyond HEXA and compete with the likes of Fortuner/XUV700
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 12:26   #345
BHPian

In my opinion, TATA might look at undercutting the main rivals to start with, i.e. Creta and XUV with the 5 & 7 seaters respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
IIRC Harrier would use 140 bhp version of 2.0 L MJ engine. Compass uses it in 170 bhp version.
The lower tune of 140bhp is expected in the 5 seater and the higher tune of 171bhp with 350nm torque in the 7 seater as per chirping of the birdies!

In comparison, the Creta has 1.6 engine with 126bhp and 260nm torque, and, XUV has 2.2 engine with 153bhp and 360nm torque.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks