Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2018, 12:57   #421
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
This looks very interesting
My guess is that because its not a proper production model, smaller things like mirror adjustment electricals might not be integrated in the car yet, but they are still needed to adjust mirrors of a test mule, so the manual stalks.

The information console I was expecting it to be a full LCD TFT screen, so this car might be the one of base or middle level model.
Apart from that, there is nothing much to think about for now :( Waiting for Tata to officially unveil the production version, so that we can sleep in peace.

As some-one mentioned about JLR's Ingenium engine for Harrier, apart from other reasons, the Ingenium engine might be using expensive materials/tech hence will shoot the price of this car. I just read on Wikipedia about it and found the literature too complicated to fit in a car that will be priced around 15L INR

Last edited by NiInJa : 1st August 2018 at 12:58.
NiInJa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 13:37   #422
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

This statement "The SUV will be available in 2WD and 4WD variants priced between Rs 12- 16 lakhs." from ET seems too strong as if they know the pricing
I would word it as "expected to be priced b/w".
kaviprem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 13:41   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
...Harrier is speculated to be priced between Rs 12L to 16L,

They have not mentioned the source or any other basis of their speculation but looks spot on.
The source for most of these sites is thbp. And this particular info is most probably gleaned from this very thread.
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 14:47   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I cannot fathom why Tata cannot use the 2.0 ingenium diesel and has to go to Fiat and pay them royalties to user their engine when there is one in house and a better one at that too. No customer is going to cross shop between a harrier and a Land Rover Discovery. They can use different branding for the engine and use the detuned state because even in detuned state it has got more power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I doubt Ingenium engine is made in India. So import will be costlier + potentially arms length pricing rules etc.

Fiat might be supplying same engine in India with ready parts support at far lesser
True. Even if locally made it cannot match the volume of the Fiat 1.6 given that the 1.6 is current used in the Compass and slated to be used in the upcoming Suzuki Vitara. The volumes would mean a support and a pricing that the JLR Ingenium would be hard pressed to match.

And given that JLR is a luxury brand, the engine would be built to a different cost structure as opposed to the Fiat which is targeted at lower priced offerings.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 15:58   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
The tata 2.2 lit engine has a 85 Bore 96 stroke which at .885 is at the upper end of optimum ratio for Medium speed diesels. Mahindra and Ford also use the same dimension in their 2.2 Lit engines. There is lot of scope to improve this engine further, another fact is that they also have the option of using the Fiat 2 Lit in place of their own 2.2 Lit in the euro VI version.
Hyundai is planning on assembling its 6 speed gearbox in India, with in house requirement in adequate to sustain the assembly operation, they have to sell to others.
Punch powerglide which supplies transmission for Hexa, GM India and Isuzu MUX may not have an engine suitable for a engine with lesser torque.
Rahul
Regarding the engine part - while I generally agree with your post, I think some substantiation is also required. Much has been discussed on this and other threads on why TML should have used the 2.2 Varicor and not the 2L Fiat engine. I think the reasons are more commercial than technical in nature.On the 2.2 varicor. This engine in its latest avatar does duty on the Hexa and is a very reasonably refined and responsive unit with excellent torque and for the first time no issues are being reported, even by the most finicky owners. But with regard to application on the JLR D8 platform:-

Constraint 1

The design of the cylinder block and engine mounting points is such, as to accomodate a longitudinal mount only. No doubt, the mounting points can be modified for a transverse mount as well (as in the case of M&M's mHawk engine - Transverse for XUV & Longitudinal for Scorpio). However, any such effort would require not just a redesign of the block, but also a repetition of the entire battery of engine validation and endurance testing (bench test as well as vehicle endurance). All this calls for investment and 2-3 yrs time. Given TML's financial situation and large capex committment for future model lineup, TML has to be very judicious on investment calls. Now, TML's entire lineup of ladderframe passenger vehicles (Sumo in all variants, Xenon, Safari and Hexa) provide enough volumes to keep TML's engine foundries occupied with sufficient volume of 2.2 Varicor. The H5X/H7X volumes will only be incremental and volatile (cant really be sure how the sales numbers will materialise).

Constraint 2

TML is an equal equity partner in the Fiat powertrain plant at Ranjangaon. The mainstay of this plant is the 1.3L Multijet engine. TML has already moved away from this engine in the Tiago/Tigor/Nexon and the engine itself is expected to be be phased out post BS6. This will severely deplete plant utilization if the volume of 2L engine is not ramped up to fill the void. This is certainly not possible with the Compass' volumes. Being an invested partner, financial loss of an underutilised plant would accrue to TML as well. However, in case TML can provide additional volumes for the 2L Multijet, this situation can be avoided.

Now, the JLR D8 platform that TML will use for the H5X/H7X is a Transverse engine FWD/AWD configuration.The Fiat 2L Multijet is also configured for a transferse mount. Adoption of this engine can mitigate the above 2 constraints. Therefore TML went the Fiat way.

TML's own 2.2 Varicor will live in its other lineups and also evolve with BS6 in those product lines. Overtime, if TML's financial fortunes light up, maybe in the next iteration, they will use their own engine & possibly with a DCT (as rumored by ACI mag).
aditya79india is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 18:31   #426
Senior - BHPian

@aditya79india
I did not get why you adressed the above reply to me.

I was only commenting on the lines of discussions going on when the topic had viered off to chances of Hyundai transmission, and discontinuation of Hexa when Euro-VI norms become applicable.

In my opinion Tata should stick to proven torque converters for transmission, and not go the DCT way until the gremlins in the DCT control software are resolved. I'm adding that Tata has recently grown out of the negative marketing against them, many people still do not believe that Tata cars are of quality at par and in some cases better than other foreign brands in the same price range. This is not the time for Tata to experience any thing negative, and trusting any dual clutch now is a big risk.
I had also said that though the 2.2 has scope of further improvement, in case it is not Euro VI ready by March 2019, Tata can use the Fiat 2 lit engine in the Hexa for the time period.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 21:49   #427
BHPian

@Rahul Rao

I second every point you made. I just quoted your post to continue on the engine subject.
aditya79india is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 10:40   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Where do you see this image? I am not able to locate it with the other 2 spy shots.
In this post. I had just cropped the image to highlight that feature.
kpkeerthi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 11:31   #429
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Abhijeet Sharma for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Am guessing the 1.2T is a typo.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-image1-1.jpeg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-image2.jpeg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 11:50   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Abhijeet Sharma for sending these images in.
Clicking on the link throws up error page.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-screenshot_20180802115208__01.jpg  

BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:16   #431
BHPian

https://harrier.tatamotors.com/#catchaglimpse
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Clicking on the link throws up error page.
It's working fine. There are a few photos

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 2nd August 2018 at 12:18.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 19:18   #432
Senior - BHPian

Managed to click this blurry snap of the interior. The overall interior layout is pretty similar to the concept car. With a large sceen at the center, i can assure that this is the best Tata interior design till date.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img20180802wa0034.jpg  

tushky is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 22:22   #433
Senior - BHPian

Few renderings by SRK of IAB
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrier.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrier1.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-harrier2.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 07:57   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Few renderings by SRK of IAB
SRK really makes amazing renderings and they often look much better than the real cars! If only the car companies would take his inputs to design the cars too.
His version of the H5X actually looks very good!
Behemoth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 09:25   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Managed to click this blurry snap of the interior. The overall interior layout is pretty similar to the concept car. With a large sceen at the center, i can assure that this is the best Tata interior design till date.
The mirror adjustment stalk is present in this car too. What could be that hole on the A-Pillar (top)?
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks