Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2019, 21:34   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs

Very cool looking design! In a sea of boring sedans, this looks stylish. The rear looks a bit like Mazda 3 in a good way. I love it.
Old 21st December 2019, 22:02   #137
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Probably the design team showed these photos to the management and then later they sent another design to the engineering department
This design may be good for a low-slung 4.5m sedan, but not for a tall boy under 4m. Now I know how the new DZire is such a great achievement for Maruti in terms of design.
Old 21st December 2019, 23:59   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Minority opinion perhaps, but I think this iteration was a good opportunity for Hyundai to create a notchback (à la the Accent Viva), esp. with the turbo petrol motor.
I have said this many times. Rather than try to shrink the sedan to fit under 4m they should just stretch the hatch to a notchback opening.

I said it when Mahindra got the Verito Vibe with that ridiculous letter box opening boot, I said it when Tata got the Tigor and I was so sure it was a notchback till I saw it at the Expo.

I really don't think customers will mind a notchback over these ridiculous miniaturized sedans.

Accent Viva was a lovely option and that's what this Aura should have been. Infact they should have made a notch back and called it the Hyundai Viva!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd December 2019 at 11:57.
Vid6639 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 08:54   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Very cool looking design! In a sea of boring sedans, this looks stylish. The rear looks a bit like Mazda 3 in a good way. I love it.
I know it is a personal opinion, but for someone who loves the Mazda 3 design, comparing this abomination to it, is really hurtful!
Raghuwire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 09:51   #140
BHPian

Just when I thought the Grand i10 Nios had an interesting front, I took back my word when I saw it's bulbous rear. The proportions seemed off at the rear and lacked the similarity of the design language used along the other parts of the car.
Now Aura has taken it to another level! Looking at the car in the whole, even the front looks wierd now.
The front especially in the white shade has too many black bits especially that behemoth cheese grater grille.
Hyundai us just botching up their cars oflate. That grille started if with the facelifted Creta and has spoilt the Elantra and now the Aura.
Dreading the new Verna facelift and Creta landing on our soil early next year.
advenk999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 12:36   #141
BHPian

Yeah, I take back whatever I said about the Suzuki Espresso. This is now the poster car for bad design in India.

How did that rear-end ever get past even the initial mock-up stage? The original Xcent looks so much better in comparison.

Looks apart, the car is feature-loaded, like the Nios. Projector lamps, LED lighting, touch screen, the works. This is literally the car you should close your eyes and buy, and never look back. Seriously, park the car, get out and don't look back. It'll still be there when you get back.
vivekgk is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 14:50   #142
GTB
BHPian

I presume Aura is based on Grandi10 Nios. Could someone please make me understand, does boot space increase when making a hatchback into a sedan? All right, compact sedan.

Aura is just a competition for Dzire? Grandi10 Nios looks good and well proportionate. I find Aura is just like a first Generation Swift Dzire a hatchback converted into a sedan.
Old 22nd December 2019, 17:29   #143
Team-BHP Support

Date: 19 & 20 Dec 2019

Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-profile.jpg

Media preview was limited to the car’s exteriors, interior reveal and test drives will happen around the official launch in Jan 2020.

Things you'll like:
  • Projector headlamps (finally) and projector foglamps (first-in-segment).
  • Smart boomerang-shaped DRLs.
  • Nice alloy design.

Things you won't:
  • The rear! Overdone and bound to polarize opinion.
  • Budget grade tires even on the turbo-petrol variant.

Exterior

Front

Based on the Grand i10 Nios, its compact sedan sibling Aura has a similar front face with some modifications.
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-front-face.jpg

Projector headlamps and fog lamps are carried over from the Nios.
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-headlamp.jpg
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-foglamp.jpg

Front grille outline is finished in grey compared to the hatchback’s black, and has a hexagonal pattern on the top half and trapezoidal detailing on the bottom, compared to straight horizontal and vertical slats on the Nios.
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-front-grill-detailing.jpg

DRLs flanking the grille are a two-element boomerang design, compared to the single-element unit on the Nios.
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-drl.jpg

Side

Different alloy design from the Nios. Diamond cut 15-inchers shod with 175/60 MRF ZVTV Ecotred rubber.
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-alloy-wheel.jpg

Partial cladding in the front wheel well.
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-front-wheel-well.jpg

Almost none in the rear.
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-rear-wheel-well.jpg

Shoulder line tapers sharply upwards into the C-pillar, which is painted black to create a floating roof effect.
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-cpillar.jpg

Rear
Rear design is striking, but appears overdone and will divide opinion. Boot design and detailing seems inspired from the newly-launched Elantra, mod Suhaas thinks it’s copied from the Alpine A110.
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-rear.jpg

C-shaped LED tail-lamp outer guides. Halogen bulbs for parking, reverse and indicator lamps.
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-taillamps.jpg

Chrome + gloss black garnish across the boot door bottom edge, joining the taillamp clusters. Prominent Hyundai slanted H & Aura badging in the center.
Sharply contoured bumper bottom houses the number-plate, has a black bottom lip to break the monotony and is flanked by two reflectors. Two centrally-aligned reversing sensors are included, none on the edges.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear.jpg
Views:	3828
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	1947847

Reversing camera neatly tucked above the number-plate, flanked by two LED number plate lamps. No external boot release switch provided.
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-reverse-camera.jpg

Ribbed roof pattern, shark-fin antenna and HMSL.
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-roof.jpg

Powertrain

Three engine options (all BS6 compliant):
  1. 1.2L MPI Petrol/CNG: Updated 1.2L Kappa motor, 83 PS/116 NM (Petrol) and 72 PS/102 NM (CNG)
  2. 1.0L T-GDi Turbo Petrol: 100 PS/172 NM
  3. 1.2L EcoTorq Diesel: 75 PS/190 NM. Claimed 10% improved low-end torque. Uses Lean NOX Trap (LNT) and Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) for BS6 compliance.

Both 1.2L motors available with 5-speed Manual & AMT gearboxes. Hyundai's AMT uses electronic actuators for smoother shifts.

1.0L T-GDi available only with 5-MT.

Turbo badging on front grill for the T-GDi equipped variant. This motor could be a key differentiator in a segment that usually sees anemic NA petrol motors.
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-turbo-badge.jpg

Front three-quarter view:
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-front-threequarter-view.jpg

Rear three-quarter view:
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-rear-threequarter-view.jpg

Walk-around video of launch car:

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2019 at 17:29. Reason: Moving to live thread
Chetan_Rao is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 09:17   #144
BHPian

Are we missing the point,

This is the smallest Diesel Engine to go BS 6 compliant in the Passenger Car Segment. Kudos
athalaga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 10:11   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Accent Viva was a lovely option
+1.
The Accent Viva was the best of the Hyundai designs we had back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
...the Mazda 3 design, comparing this abomination to it...
.. somebody actually compared this to the Mazda 3 ??
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 10:33   #146
BHPian

Interesting to see Hyundai taking the initiative and revealing that they will go for a 1.2 l BS VI compliant diesel. Wonder what the pricing would be like. After all, every OEM is speculating the effect of having a DPF, OBD etc. on board.
https://www.livemint.com/companies/p...032279711.html
ds.raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 11:33   #147
Senior - BHPian

I am convinced the rear isn't that polarizing if the C pillar had body coloured panel
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 12:17   #148
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
I know it is a personal opinion, but for someone who loves the Mazda 3 design, comparing this abomination to it, is really hurtful!
Exactly. Comparing the Mazda 3 and this dirty "thing" is such a foolish act in itself unless you are a blind fan.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 13:36   #149
BHPian

This is an abomination. The piano black C pillar, claw shaped headlights, monstrous grille. It is a weird design and they name this contraption 'Aura'.

People will still buy it for the so called premium interior fit and finish.

Sad!
nasa_hubble is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 14:42   #150
BHPian

Comparing this "horror" to Mazda 3 sedan is like comparing Rakhi Sawant to Drew Barrymore ...
Heart_Revs is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks