Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2019, 21:25   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Unless, I get convincing answers to the above , I am afraid my money stays in the bank. And SIAM, the Government and all the other Pillars of Democracy can bid a small Source of Revenue - good bye! I encourage others to bite the bullet - and call the bluff that is being foisted on us. Remember, if there's one truth - it's this - MONEY TALKS.
I agree with the sentiment behind your post. And yes since the PUC and insurance would also be a challenge, hence would most likely have to sell the car for peanuts at end of 10 years. What is most frustrating is that no one is talking about the refund of those extra 5 years if tax collected from us.

But having said all that, it is still not practical for many to be able to live without a car. Uber/Ola can only go a certain mile and not very practical for daily usage having multiple stops/errands to run. What I am worried about is that since they cannot deal with the problem of pollution at hand in any logical concrete way, soon enough petrol cars also might see the ban extend to them too.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 08:27   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What I am worried about is that since they cannot deal with the problem of pollution at hand in any logical concrete way, soon enough petrol cars also might see the ban extend to them too.
Unlikely to happen. This anti diesel sentiment from the government is all about optics rather than real empirical data based action. Diesels are optically more polluting , and irrespective of whether or not that corresponds with reality, banning older diesel cars makes it look like addressing a genuine problem.

Petrol does not yet have that image of being an unclean fuel, hence stringency of actions is likely to be more muted when it comes to petrol cars.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 12:10   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Petrol does not yet have that image of being an unclean fuel, hence stringency of actions is likely to be more muted when it comes to petrol cars.
Beg to disagree sir. The NGT and SC of I may very well, bring out a rule making 10 year old petrol vehicles persona non grata not only in NCR, but also other metros and other cities. It's coming.
The core problem of pollution in densely populated areas will stay unaddressed.

Having said that - Here's a perspective.

I would like to share an experience with all - when Delhi used to be relatively traffic free back in 1990-94, I used to come back home each weekend from my college. I recall, standing at ISBT, Kashmiri Gate, my eyes used to start watering.
Here in Delhi in 2019, my eyes still water the moment I step out in the morning.
What changed in the intervening ~30 years?
Yes more cars BUT my eyes don't water more for that fact. That is simply told- there was pollution back then too - allergens which would trigger an immune response.

What was the pollution due to then (and now)?
Remember crop burning in our neighboring states? Remember scores of open chulhas buring cowdung? Remember Badarpur Thermal Power Plant and the fly-ash deposited on your wall and terraces each morning?

What exactly has the National Green Tribunal done to enforce a ban on these polluting activities?
Why have they picked on the urban middle class , honest tax paying , law abiding citizens?The answer is very simple. They have to show progress. And the easiest way to do so is by counting the NOCs issued by Delhi State. NOCs applied by law abiding citizens that unfortunately have a RC, an Aadhar, a PAN, and a DL - thus countable.

I for one, have not seen any published statistics of number of crop fires prevented, or farmers being booked, or road-side chulhas being demolished. Even the Thermal Power Plant continues to operate with impunity.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th March 2019 at 12:26. Reason: spelling
joybhowmik is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 12:34   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Beg to disagree sir. The NGT and SC of I may very well, bring out a rule making 10 year old petrol vehicles persona non grata not only in NCR, but also other metros and other cities. It's coming.
The core problem of pollution in densely populated areas will stay unaddressed.
There is no doubt that it is coming. It has been coming for years, and is not a recent phenomenon, nor unforeseen. However, there is also no question about the fact that government tends to view diesel as being a source of greater evil than petrol, notwithstanding that evidence to arrive at this perspective is inconclusive. The very fact that NCR has given five more years to petrol vehicles than diesels is clearly indicative of the regulators' myopic reasoning. Cars and their de-compulsory registration happens to be a softer target, and therefore, larger issues like the ones you have mentioned will continue to languish unattended.

And yes, it is but a matter of time when internal combustion engines become a relic of the past. It may take five, ten or a few more years, but it will happen, and given this, the diesel or petrol debate will become moot very soon. Time to enjoy the last hurrah of IC engines before they give way to electric fans under the bonnet.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 26th March 2019 at 12:37.
Old 26th March 2019, 12:44   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And yes, it is but a matter of time when internal combustion engines become a relic of the past. It may take five, ten or a few more years, but it will happen, and given this, the diesel or petrol debate will become moot very soon. Time to enjoy the last hurrah of IC engines before they give way to electric fans under the bonnet.
Nothing that is in the works indicates that electric support infra will be ready in the next 5-10 years. Not even in the cities, even Delhi.
Add to this the fact that we are not an energy surplus nation.

This is just the usual clap-trap of going after the weakest members. They will make it 5 years in the next round and we will keep buying IC cars for the next 30 years after scrapping the ones we have after 5 years, because there will not still not be electric infra in the country. The monkeys in power are still in the planning stage, and will continue to be in the same for the foreseeable future.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 12:45   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not to mention the end of vacations with long drives in inhospitable terrains.

I would truly like to see an EV with enough charge in it to do Kaza to Manali.
And perhaps the NGT will mandate an electric charging station at 18000 feet in Khardungla, where one may stop 8 hours for getting a full charge. And woe betide anyone that gets Altitude Sickness and dies!
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 14:18   #82
BHPian

I own a Dec'11 XUV 500 with 110,000 Kms on odo. It is in pristine condition and every time I travel with my family no ,matter where and how long is the trip it brings the smile on our faces.

With BS6 coming into effect I have 21 months to decide its replacement but I was thinking that BS6 is applicable only on engine. Could we plonk a new BS6 engine into the same body (If it can) and enjoy it for another 10 years. It may not cost ~ 6 Lac but now even New WagonR comes in the range of 6 Lac.

I bought XUV W6 at Rs. 11,99,500/- on road at that time. Today no other vehicle at this price, can match it comfort, power and ability to munch miles on road irrespective of road conditions.

Is it legal and will it need to be re-registered, pay again 10% registration fee ?
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:33   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy73US View Post
I own a Dec'11 XUV 500 with 110,000 Kms on odo. It is in pristine condition ….

With BS6 coming into effect I have 21 months to decide its replacement but I was thinking that BS6 is applicable only on engine. Could we plonk a new BS6 engine into the same body (If it can) and enjoy it for another 10 years. It may not cost ~ 6 Lac but now even New WagonR comes in the range of 6 Lac.

I bought XUV W6 at Rs. 11,99,500/- on road at that time. Today no other vehicle at this price, can match it comfort, power and ability to munch miles on road irrespective of road conditions.

Is it legal and will it need to be re-registered, pay again 10% registration fee ?
Yes it is legal - and you can get the car registration updated and buy a few years. But - and there's always a Big BUT...
Have you found out whether with the replacement engine will
a) you won't run out of space in the engine bay?
b) what would be the impact to attachments in the engine bay and the exhaust system?
c) Will it mate with the existing gear box ?
d) The "package" will be accepted by the RTO as a roadworthy car?

I suspect the impact to wallet will be more than the price of a new car if this endeavor is carried out to it's logical conclusion.
Easier to let it go - unless you want to wait for the SLP being considered for filing by MORTH @ the SCI - and that could be a long wait. But you do have 21 months.
Old 14th May 2019, 10:36   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I am afraid my money stays in the bank. And SIAM, the Government and all the other Pillars of Democracy can bid a small Source of Revenue - good bye! I encourage others to bite the bullet - and call the bluff that is being foisted on us. Remember, if there's one truth - it's this - MONEY TALKS.
Quote:
Demand for new vehicles has been under a tremendous pressure over the past few months and has been worsening in the run-up to the elections, leading to production cuts as inventory with dealers piles up.

Companies are expecting the market strain to remain in the new fiscal as price escalation on the back of migration to new emission norms from April 2020 as well as bad consumer sentiment will continue to depress demand.
Cumulative sales of passenger vehicles, which comprises cars , SUVS and vans, were down by 17% in April, the sharpest fall since a 20% crash in October 2011, according to numbers released by industry body SIAM. Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai, Mahindra & Mahindra and Toyota as demand remains abysmally low.
Source : The Times of India, May 14th, 2019

It has started to happen!!
Now I'll sit back, relax and watch the big boys , dance to the music.
joybhowmik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 11:40   #85
BHPian

Reduction in Auto sales in this financial year is not something that I foresee to be a continuing trend.
Auto companies will take a hit on their bottom line; however they will still run on profit but not to the level they had in FY18 & FY17.
Companies with smaller market shares will face the heat on profitability of India operations; revenues may not suffice to meet their operating expenses. For them volume increase is the key. i.e. Renault India,Nissan mainly.

Link to Article --> Business Standard - Renault India

MSIL, Tata, Hyundai, M&M will be able to absorb this temporary dip in sales.
Old 14th May 2019, 17:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercloud View Post
Reduction in Auto sales in this financial year is not something that I foresee to be a continuing trend.
Auto companies will take a hit on their bottom line;

MSIL, Tata, Hyundai, M&M will be able to absorb this temporary dip in sales.
Oh undoubtedly! I never did want them to go belly up forever more!
Now that would be counter-productive.
What's important is that the Indian consumer had to send them a loud and clear message to mend their ways.
I think that message has started to sink in. And yes, they will need to dig deep into their coffers to make compliant cars, that do not cost as much as a space ship, and practical.
So be it.
It's what we all wanted in the first place.
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 23:14   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

I have one query regarding this ban. The car in question is a 2011 diesel Altis which has a valid RC till 2026 with due road tax paid, as was the norm back in the day. So now with this NGT rule, I can only drive this car till 2021 i.e. 10 years from date of registration. What happens if I decide to just keep driving this car beyond that specially in regard to the insurance policy.

1. Would the Insurance company issue me a policy post 10th year since I have a valid RC till 15 years.

2. Even if they do, would they honour a claim later if a situation arises? Or would they hide behind the excuse that as per NGT order, the vehicle was not fit to be on the road.
Old 17th May 2019, 23:19   #88
BHPian

Quote:
1. Would the Insurance company issue me a policy post 10th year since I have a valid RC till 15 years.

2. Even if they do, would they honour a claim later if a situation arises? Or would they hide behind the excuse that as per NGT order, the vehicle was not fit to be on the road.
1. Your RC will get cancelled as soon as your vehicle crosses 10 years. It'll get de-registered from the MVD's database, so your physical RC would stand expired, irrespective of the date mentioned on it. So I don't think insurance companies would issue a policy for an unregistered car.

2. You won't have insurance in the first place. Even if they don't look at the RC and issue insurance (after an under the table exchange), the policy will be void ab initio due to it being issued against false registration details.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by boniver : 17th May 2019 at 23:22. Reason: added more to 2nd point
boniver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 19:47   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
1. Your RC will get cancelled as soon as your vehicle crosses 10 years. It'll get de-registered from the MVD's database, so your physical RC would stand expired, irrespective of the date mentioned on it. So I don't think insurance companies would issue a policy for an unregistered car.

2. You won't have insurance in the first place. Even if they don't look at the RC and issue insurance (after an under the table exchange), the policy will be void ab initio due to it being issued against false registration details.

Hope this helps!
So in response to my post above, another BHPian shared his experience with this rule and it kind of is the exact opposite to what you have stated. The confusion continues!

Quote:

I have a Swift diesel of 2007 . Registered for 15 year. I have been able to get insurance and poc till date. My RC is till up as I recently got a challan .

Issue will only start after 15 years . When it will be scrapped.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 20:48   #90
BHPian

Quote:
So in response to my post above, another BHPian shared his experience with this rule and it kind of is the exact opposite to what you have stated. The confusion continues!
I was under the impression that the ban has already been enforced. Can Delhi BHPians confirm whether old vehicles have started getting de-registered?

What I stated was my interpretation of the law. According to the judgement, the Delhi MVD is to de-register diesel vehicles as soon as they turn 10 years old and petrol vehicles as soon as they turn 15. Once these vehicles are de-registered, they cease to have a valid RC, which is when the points stated in my previous post hold true.
However, if the MVD themselves don't follow the judgement, none one can predict what's going to happen.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks