Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2019, 21:32   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So if one has a meticulously maintained carefully serviced PUC compliant Private car, then that also is going to have to be “dumped” eh?
I wish we NCR prople could keep our older, well maintained car for more than 10/15 years. Only option (as of now) is to sell it after 9 years (diesel) to someone in other states/UTs.

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 22nd December 2019 at 21:40.
Old 29th December 2019, 23:20   #137
BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

Is there clarity on how the age of the car is being calculated under the ruling? 10 years from date of manufacture or date of registration? Would really appreciate someone can point to a written reference.
Old 30th December 2019, 00:14   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
Is there clarity on how the age of the car is being calculated under the ruling?
10/15 years from the date of registration for diesel/ petrol cars.
Old 30th December 2019, 09:18   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
10/15 years from the date of registration for diesel/ petrol cars.
Thank you for the clarity. Is that something clarified in the ruling? I am trying to find a written reference from supreme court or NGT that states date of registration and not manufacture but no luck yet. Would appreciate if you have found the reference and if you can share it here
Old 30th December 2019, 09:45   #140
Senior - BHPian

It is always from the date of registration of the vehicle since that is the data available on record and is mentioned on the RC. Immaterial when the vehicle was manufactured.

Its a speaking order not open to interpretation.

Last edited by bigron : 30th December 2019 at 09:48.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 10:03   #141
BHPian

It is still unclear under what law a court can prevent the rightful owner from using his vehicle because of its age. Govt must bring in a rational law - not penalizing car owners who maintain their old cars well.

Also, even if there is such a law, it must be applied only to new cars bought after the ruling. If I buy a new car today and the terms and conditions state only 10 years of usage, then I can make the right decision whether to invest so much for only 10 years of usage or not. Instead what we see here is people bought cars with expectation that it can be used for any period as long as it complies to fitness and emission regulations. This is total betrayal of citizens' trust. What if tomorrow, court rules all buildings older than 25 years must be demolished? Half of the Indian population will be homeless.
  1. In my opinion, Petrol vehicles don't pollute anywhere near as much as a diesel vehicle. Does a 5-year-old Diesel vehicle pollute less than a 16-year-old petrol car? Correct me if I'm wrong here.
  2. Emission standards aside, a nicely maintained old vehicle pollutes less than badly maintained new vehicles, but who will make the judges understand?
  3. Commercial Vehicles (Goods and passenger) pollute a lot more than private vehicles due to bad maintenance. State transport busses will not be scrutinized because traffic police is from state govt. Other private players will do away with some bribes. Law is not the issue, the implementation is.
  4. Heavy industries including thermal power plants, stubble burning contribute a lot more to pollution. Did the court consider this fact, before ruling heavily over tax-paying Aam Junta?
  5. The famous odd-even rule has not shown any measurable result. Why do they think, simply banning older cars will magically reduce pollution levels?

To me, this is just a knee-jerk reaction of the courts not knowing how to tackle pollution. Remember the sun-film banning diktat? Any statistics on the reduction of crime-rate due to banning of sun-film?
manjunathkl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 15:17   #142
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

All these draconian laws in India are absolutely stupid.

Let them first get those highly polluting state buses and dirty lorries off the roads. Along with the various jugaad mobiles and bikes and mopeds that are held together by string and spit and faith and which run on a strange admixture of kerosene, castor oil, lamp oil with a smidgen of petrol.

Then let them talk to the public about well maintained private vehicles.

It would be sensible if they institute a membership renewable every 3-5 years, which allows the owners of old well maintained vehicles, to use them. Supported by simple things like a valid annual vehicle inspection and testing report (like the MOT in the UK).

But then, when have our draconian, power drunk judiciary and other authorities and powers that be ever had much sense or even cared?
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 14:41   #143
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know if the ban applies to two-wheelers as well?

My bike has just completed 15 years, and does anyone know whether it is possible to apply for an NOC to transfer it to another state or if it now just scrap and should be sold to a scrap dealer?
Old 19th February 2020, 15:02   #144
BHPian

One question why I had and have not got a good answer to is: The RC of our S-Cross Smart Hybrid Diesel classifies it as a "Diesel/Hybrid" and the validity is for 15 years (2019 to 2034).
I have seen other RC's of the S-Cross which do not have the SVHS system and their validity is for 10 years.

So, is it a fact that the car really has a validity of 15 years? Or even though the RC states 15 years, in actual it is for 10 years only. (And a fine can be imposed by a traffic cop if driven after 10 years)
(Though there is a good amount of time to go, getting clarity would be good.)

I do intend to drive the car for as long as I can (I had an Alto which we drove for 14 years and then had to let go of it due to the SC guidelines applicable in Delhi; it was good for many more years though)
anand_roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 17:44   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So if one has a meticulously maintained carefully serviced PUC compliant Private car, then that also is going to have to be “dumped” eh?
I wish they would give us a chance - by instituting some kind of certification process to enable and allow deserving people who dont want to unnecessarily shell out on a brand new car, to keep their carefully maintained much loved automobiles.
I have seen similar concerns on other car forums, and based on the discussions, I think (but don't know for sure) that the court ruling (upholding NGT's order) supersedes what's on the RC. My advice would be to check with the RTO.
Old 3rd March 2020, 01:11   #146
BHPian

Conundrum of vehicle ban is deterring new vehicle sales as well, you don't know for how much time you will be allowed to use it before compulsorily scrapping it.
Government should not implement forceful scrapping based on age in its forthcoming scrapping policy, which in my opinion will be fruitful for everyone.
Old 3rd March 2020, 05:19   #147
BHPian

I think we should wait till April 2020 when the new emission norms are declared and then see what the government is up to.
Old 3rd March 2020, 09:11   #148
BHPian

I have a well maintained 2004 Honda City GXi which has done only 82000 kms over 15 years. However, due to the NGT ruling, I am unable to use it in Delhi NCR. I hope better sense prevails and this order is re-examined by the Supreme Court. Forcing the general public to scrap a well maintained, sparsely run non-polluting vehicle is totally unacceptable!
Old 3rd March 2020, 09:28   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
I have a well maintained 2004 Honda City GXi which has done only 82000 kms over 15 years. However, due to the NGT ruling, I am unable to use it in Delhi NCR.
I agree with you - emission testing must be stringent - and transparent. Vehicles that meet the norms should not have been scrapped, but I dont think SC / NGT will review the order. The new scrapping policy that looks to be for commercial vehicles in the larger area seems more sensible.

Btw, Your Honda City being 16 years now, if Delhi registered, would have already been de-registered by the RTO ? :(
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 21:15   #150
BHPian

Can someone help me understand why a 9 year old DL registered Fortuner still commands such high resale value (considering the 10 year old diesel ban)? A colleague of mine was considering a change of cars and we assumed that Toyota Fortuners aged around 10 years would be sumptuously priced ( so that we can re-register in my home state), but there's obviously some reason that I haven't understood.

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 18th April 2020 at 21:55. Reason: Mod note attached.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks