Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2019, 22:50   #151
BHPian

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Spotted a camouflaged MG Hector doing the rounds of BKC today..
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img_6298.jpg  

docprashant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 23:58   #152
Team-BHP Support

A new teaser released - MG Hector | Ready to take on the Indian roads

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 12:02   #153
BHPian

Hector will be a looker except for those wheels, they just seem to be a size too small for a car of this size. Did not they think about it?
Old 26th March 2019, 12:15   #154
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Someone may have mentioned in the past 11 pages but could someone tell me the price bracket this vehicle will compete in?
Is it a Jeep Compass or more of a Creta competitor?

Thank you.
Old 26th March 2019, 12:35   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Someone may have mentioned in the past 11 pages but could someone tell me the price bracket this vehicle will compete in?

Thank you.
It should be around the compass.
sreejinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 23:15   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
One close-up shot of the MG Hector's rear, possibly from it's UK media shoot session:
The complete picture, with the good Doctor inside:

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-80336770gy1g124935ltuj22zl1zqnph.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-80336770gy1g1248uurjwj22zk1zpnpk.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-80336770gy1g12490b7ohj21zp2zke87.jpg

And, guess who surfaced at the 2019 Bangkok Motor Show as a rebadged Baojun 530/Wuling Almaz/MG Hector:

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-bims2019_chevrolet_captiva11200x703.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-bims2019_chevrolet_captiva31200x703.jpg

The all-new Chevrolet Captiva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
It should be slightly below the Compass lineup, against the Harrier & XUV500's mid-variants and the Hexa.

Ballpark - 14 lakhs to 19 lakhs.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 05:28   #157
BHPian

Why on earth did Chevy leave a market with an established brand, just to reintroduce another brand? Why not have 2 cars like the Cruze and the Captiva?
Old 28th March 2019, 09:51   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Why on earth did Chevy leave a market with an established brand, just to reintroduce another brand? Why not have 2 cars like the Cruze and the Captiva?
You got it wrong brother. Chevrolet (GM) is not reintroducing another brand. Its SAIC (Shanghai Automotive Industry Crporation) who is introducing MG.

Chevrolet has a tie up with SAIC, and as a part of the tie up SAIC is allowing them to rebadge the Baojun 530 as the Chevrolet Captiva.
It feels like if it was the same car, why couldn't chevrolet introduce it but Chevrolet had failed in India and didn't want to go further whereas SAIC wanted to establish themselves in India.

PS: Chevrolet didn't leave India to make way for MG. They left because of they just couldn't sell cars.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th March 2019 at 10:10. Reason: formatting
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:08   #159
BHPian

Thanks! Looks like India is market where there no one survives with a halfhearted attempt. Is there any non-luxury brand that has survived without a full blown product portfolio?

Guess this what will separate the successful players. Tata has almost 3-4 product launches this year, more planned from Maruti and Hyundai (with updates). VW/Skoda building 10 year plans written in stone and ignoring the present opportunities (trust me, I work for a big German). Kia at least has a road map; wonder whats the plan with SAIC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
You got it wrong brother. Chevrolet (GM) is not reintroducing another brand. Its SAIC (Shanghai Automotive Industry Crporation) who is introducing MG.

Chevrolet has a tie up with SAIC, and as a part of the tie up SAIC is allowing them to rebadge the Baojun 530 as the Chevrolet Captiva.

It feels like if it was the same car, why couldn't chevrolet introduce it but Chevrolet had failed in India and didn't want to go further whereas SAIC wanted to establish themselves in India.

PS: Chevrolet didn't leave India to make way for MG. They left because of they just couldn't sell cars.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th March 2019 at 10:10.
Old 28th March 2019, 10:20   #160
BHPian

Now that these are the final pics, i can safely say that this will not pose any threat whatsoever to the Harrier, Compass crowd, based on LOOKs only. This is no way a clean design. it might sell just like the rebadged Force SUV did initially. I dont even recall the name of the Force SUV now.
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:32   #161
Senior - BHPian

The gray/silver one (with Chevy badge) looks less bulkier(at the rear) than the red one. In red, the tail lamps are getting blended with the body colour and adds to the bulk. They should really look at providing fatter/taller wheels.
MG has better looking grill design than the Chevy, and overall Hector should be decent looker. But when one takes a closer look, it is going win over with it's superb fit and finish, attention to details and overall well executed interior.
Many people are writing it off, but if they manage the pricing bit (which should be in between Harrier and Compass), it is going to be remarkably successful IMHO.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 12:26   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Now that these are the final pics, i can safely say that this will not pose any threat whatsoever to the Harrier, Compass crowd, based on LOOKs only. This is no way a clean design. it might sell just like the rebadged Force SUV did initially. I dont even recall the name of the Force SUV now.
Really how won't it post a threat to Compass & Harrier ?

Its almost the same dimensions of the Harrier (Hector is slightly bigger). Both Harrier & Hector will come with a 7 seater option in the future. Features wise it seems to be well equipped. Its not like I hate the Harrier, I almost bought it, but no Automatic in diesel made me change my mind. Also missing in the Harrier are powered seats, panoramic sunroof and other minor creature comforts. Apparently Hector is gonna come with all this for the same price as Harrier. As a potential buyer I really would feel interested in checking out the Hector before writing it off.

In comparison to the Compass I do agree Jeep brand holds more value but its been almost 2 years since the Compass is launched and the face-lift might just be around the corner (Searching for that corner for almost a year to find the Trailhawk diesel auto hidden behind it, but alas !). The Compass is more compact as well and you know how majority of us fancy more for less. Besides the price of the Compass is higher. The Limited plus is definitely a worthy buy though.
deepjaju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 16:20   #163
BHPian

I would love if they manage to provide a diesel automatic at the launch. I am sure the fit and finish would be good. If drives and rides good, I would book a diesel automatic.
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 16:37   #164
BHPian

It looks like the rear suspension is multilink based on Chevy Captiva picture above.I hope they retain this in the India spec.
Old 28th March 2019, 16:43   #165
BHPian

Pricing will be the key for Hector's success. I would pick up on if it comes under 15 L on road.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks