Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2019, 09:06   #76
BHPian

re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

We all will bash it front and back, left and right. But once it is launched we will see it set the sales chart on fire, because it's Maruti. They exactly know what customers at the entry segment want. Curious to know what are those Enhanced 10+ " Safety Features ". Just for the heck of it, will there be a electric version of this ? Looks like a perfect use case

On the positive side, hope it revives the falling Auto industry by inducing some positive sentiment.
Sk8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 13:03   #77
Senior - BHPian

I hope it has dual air bags and ABS as standard in all variants. Isn't it compulsory from 2020 to have these as part of OE equipment?
Old 26th August 2019, 13:08   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I hope it has dual air bags and ABS as standard in all variants. Isn't it compulsory from 2020 to have these as part of OE equipment?
Even the Eeco and Alto gets a single airbag and ABS as standard.

Almost all Maruti cars from the Alto to the S Cross have an upper limit of just 2 airbags, its time Maruti Suzuki start offering 6 airbags and other safety aids atleast in their higher variants.
Aditya_Bhp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 13:33   #79
BHPian

However the final production version of this car turns out, one thing is for sure that it will sell in good numbers being a Maruti. It might not be good looking, safe or well built but that won't matter much. People will end up in hordes at the MS showroom to buy this. Will be pricier than the current Alto though.
rajvardhanraje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 11:37   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Even the Eeco and Alto gets a single airbag and ABS as standard.

Almost all Maruti cars from the Alto to the S Cross have an upper limit of just 2 airbags, its time Maruti Suzuki start offering 6 airbags and other safety aids atleast in their higher variants.
In my opinion - in cars like Eeco, Alto and most definitely the S-Presso, number of airbags is actually not going to make any difference in the outcome of a high speed head on crash.

In an unfortunate accident with head-on intensity where the SRS airbag would come into picture - the rest of the bodyshell is going to crumple so bad that airbag will be rendered redundant. The safety offered by the body and chassis is so poor that the SRS has no primary safety to "suppliment" by airbag at all.

The first thing that always fails in light Marutis is the pathetically designed and built A-Pillar & roof angle. It literally buckles with slightest of force & the cabin simply crumples. The A pillar is supposed to stay strong and keep the cabin shape intact in frontal crashes. It doesn't in Marutis. Thats why many of these cars come with a "Body unstable" remark if tested in any NCAP.

(This is first hand experience. My Alto's A pillar is BENT and dented by a very small dry branch falling on it. Its now structurally failed & I need to get it "repaired" at bodyshop which will only make it look normal but won't have original structural rigidity (just over zero i.e.) anyway. Indica gen 1 parked besides it has been taking those hits since 15 years without as much as a scratch.)

So in a way Maruti is right in saving money by giving only the mandatory number of airbags. Its to tick the box. Not to really save too many lives in real world. Nothing wrong in it. Its a profit making and job providing business afterall. Its the customers who should be making an educated decision to choose life.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2019 at 09:55. Reason: Spacing
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 11:45   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
In my opinion - in cars like Eeco, Alto and most definitely the S-Presso, number of airbags is actually not going to make any difference in the outcome of a high speed head on crash.
Yes, but that is not limited to the above cars. All cars including Hyundais are Tatas are having this risk. Remember Princess Diana? Even an MB couldn't save her.

Bringing a good balance between the price, customer demands and govt safety requirements is the big thing. Bringing all techs into the smallest of the cars and making it unreachable for the poor bikewalas is also a crime, IMO.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th August 2019 at 11:50.
Old 27th August 2019, 11:50   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Yes, but that is not limited to the above cars. All cars including Hyundais are Tatas are having this risk. Remember Princess Diana? Even an MB couldn't save her.
I know we are going off topic. So sorry about that.

But factually - Late Princess Diana came out alive from the MB. She passed away later in the hospital due to internal injuries. She was on the rear seat without airbags (so thats out of question) and I think the coroners have mentioned that had she been wearing a seat belt - she might have survived the imact. The fatalities in that crash actually occured due to internal shock trauma rather than blunt force. The body shell of the car didn't look like those on our roads do after accidents at all.

And only the SCross & Brezza in the current MSIL line up can be compared to Tata, VW, Skoda, Mahindra when it comes to strong build quality. Rest are "Kitna deti hai" cars. Nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Bringing a good balance between the price, customer requirements, govt safety requirements and the actual car's safety is the big thing. Bringing all techs into the smallest of the cars and making it unreachable for the poor bikewalas is also a crime, IMO.
Correct. Thats what I meant in the post above. Its the customer that needs to be smart enough to decide whether to stay a bike-wala with helmet or insist on getting a cheap car and put family's life on the highway in it.

When I had an Omni - I never took it on the highway. Used public transport for out-station travels. I knew the limits of it & risks associated.

Thats not the case in most households where the S-Presso might well be the only car for all purposes.

Last edited by Reinhard : 27th August 2019 at 11:54.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 12:23   #83
BHPian

So many comments indicate that it will sell no matter what because it is Maruti and that people will buy it with closed eyes. That's an opaque picture without understanding ground reality. Agreed that there is a general consensus regarding consumer sentiments with MSIL cars but it has been result of pure hard work from MSIL to know the pulse of Indians and cater to it. But there have been exceptions as well. Ignis, S-Cross, Zen Estilo, A-star, Vitara, Celerio Diesel, even Ritz-- None of these were blockbuster cars. People are very much aware of what they are buying. Here also people will make a calculated judgement after car is released and decide it's fate.
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 15:19   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Bringing back the topic to the car's looks.

Looking at the overall curvy design of this car it seems quite against the trend. Agreed that the Future-S concept also had quite curvy profile. But then other than the curvy nature hardly much is resembling with the S-Presso as its much smaller overall. The silhouette so far looks quite dull - I know its under wraps and sans any of Maruti's favourite claddings.

All said - I have a feeling that the upcoming KWID Facelift will really make life hard for this car. MSIL is going to have its work cut out. Giving SmartPlayStudio alone will not make the deal. The new KWID surely is a stunner overall for the segment. With its sharp cuts and quite chizzled looks, it might ace the S-Presso come the launches!
Old 27th August 2019, 16:02   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

S -Presso spied on tests in Delhi, gets a micro-SUV stance.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-marutisuzukispresso660.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-spressorear660fin.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 17:08   #86
BHPian

MSIL already have Ignis, which they do not call a hatchback ('None of a kind') and competes with micro SUVs like KUV100, with high GC and flat bonnet etc.

So, I do not understand the need of S Presso here. I see 4 options to position it :

1. Replace Ignis (which is not great success as per MSIL sales chart) and compete in the same segment, taking whatever share KUV is having.
2. Replace CelerioX to do away with the impression of "Cosmetic Change" by providing a gound-up design to attract more customers.
3. Replace Alto with SUV-ish styling to add some flare in this NextGen avatar and gain further market share, also taking away substantial share from Kwid.
4. Keep Alto, Ignis and S Presso all together with overlapping price bracket. But this may not increase the total sale volume of MSIL, because the new launch would have the maximum possibility of eating away sales from the existing MSIL products only.

Already they have too many cars in the non-premium hatchback segment (Alto, Alto K10, Celerio, CelerioX, WagonR, Ignis, Swift).

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2019 at 09:58. Reason: Extra line break / spacing
Old 28th August 2019, 17:14   #87
Senior - BHPian

Why do I get the feeling that the new Kwid will be a better and wholesome package than this S-Presso, we all know which will sell, any how. Lets keep our fingers crossed and the espresso hot and await the new 'Kwid on the block'!
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 19:48   #88
BANNED

This got me thinking!!!! Will all the cars of future be in the shape of an SUV, matchbox on wheels. Obsession for low slung, corner carving, sexy sedans has been transformed into high ground clearance, SUVish designs. I hope manufacturers won’t come up with SUVish versions of sedans, please don’t. Even enthusiasts are now more tilted towards ‘tackling a pothole’ than ‘tackling a corner’. I sincerely pray, may the sedans remain in the market.

Note: I am a person who loves to see a Lancer kind of designed sedan in the market.

Last edited by pavi : 28th August 2019 at 19:50.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 19:58   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I hope manufacturers won't come up with SUVish versions of sedans, please don't.
Ever seen the Volvo S60 cross country ? It's only a matter of time for others to follow suit
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 20:30   #90
BHPian

Kwid today is the last resort of Suzuki haters and exterior styling lovers. Else the name does not have too much credibility left in the market. The slew of incremental updates have upset a lot of initial Kwid buyers.

Coming to this micro Suzuki, I have seen the car up close and it is difficult to love the styling. But it's a typical no non sense Suzuki with Cost being the biggest USP.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2019 at 09:58. Reason: Spacing
Carma2017 is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks