Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2020, 22:30   #496
BHPian

Re: Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
My F-in-L is considering buying one Also, we fear Toyota service centres may be paying more attention to pricey Fortuners and Innovas . Glanza would be at lowest end of their car spectrum. Whatsay guys?
I give my 13 year old Alto for service at Nexa. They treat me as they treat me when I leave my Ciaz!

The service cost is same for both of these cars. I get the same treatment, at least as much as I can see.
Old 1st March 2020, 22:38   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
I was of the impression that Glanza can be serviced at MS service centres, atleast after the warranty period. Isn't it possible?
Not sure about that. But it would be good if that happens because I still feel Maruti A.S.S. has better experience at working on Baleno than guys at Toyota. In another 2 years, Toyota service personnel may have gained enough experience on Baleno but as things stand right now I think Maruti has an edge. Don't know if one can buy Glanza spares at Maruti (and vice versa) and also if there is any price difference between spares of these Siamese twins.
Old 2nd March 2020, 12:48   #498
BHPian

The option of removing Toyota badges and replacing them with Suzuki should help in getting the Glanza serviced at MS And then confidently, we can slap Suzuki badges on Fortuner and some or other way get it serviced at Suzuki service centers.
It would serve a good lesson to Toyota for the rebadging effort!
PNTLovesNano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 13:42   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Not sure about that....

These days I get my Skoda serviced in a Maruti ASS (I am done with Skoda Service). Not a dealership run workshop though, but one listed in their site. Should'nt be a problem for Glanza.
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 10:43   #500
Distinguished - BHPian

March sales /dispatches, Glanza figures stand at 2104 for March.

Source: Maruti Suzuki
Old 30th June 2020, 07:13   #501
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota's venture with Suzuki in the badge engineered Glanza proves a success for the team.

-Toyota has sold over 25,000 units of the Glanza in its first year ( estimated ~ 24k units)

-Almost 40-60 percent of Glanza buyers are first time Toyota owners

- Base G variant of the Glanza is seeing the highest demand

- Around 21-24 percent of Glanza customers are choosing the hybrid option

Quote:
Toyota's ease of service, roadside assistance and warranty are other factors which have helped enhance the value proposition and close the deal.
Quote:
Spurred by the success of the Glanza, Toyota is now gearing up to launch the second product under its collaboration with Suzuki. Slated to be dubbed the Urban Cruiser, the rebadged version of the Maruti Vitara Brezza will sport greater product differentiation through some mild styling tweaks
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th June 2020 at 07:15.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 21:20   #502
BHPian

Today I've booked the G CVT Glanza. Booked it for 9.4L on road. Car is in stock. My loan process should get completed in a week.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 23:02   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Today I've booked the G CVT Glanza. Booked it for 9.4L on road. Car is in stock. My loan process should get completed in a week.
Did you select Glanza because of the rear seat space. I remember your plans to test drive nexon with family
NICHE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 23:20   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Starting from Brezza to evaluating Nexon/Jazz and then finally settling for Glanza, you epitomise the confusions that a car-lover on a budget endures to get one home.
Most probably there is a web of family discussions and interesting tales (that happened in the background), which you can spin into a story and share with us on how did you meet your Toyota!

Congratulations on your choice and wishing you many happy miles!
Old 11th July 2020, 23:44   #505
BHPian

I tried really hard to buy the Nexon. 2 months of follow-up didn't get me a proper quote or a test drive vehicle. It felt as if I was dealing with some college kids who are trying to be dealers. It was really frustrating. Even went till their dealerships sales GM but nothing worked. What was more frustrating was that 4 dealers with whom I was in touch have all shut shops in recent past. In past few days I spoke to 5 folks who own a Nexon AMT in Mumbai and their overall tone was that this is what is to be expected. Expect to followup for everything. Finally, when their Worli showroom agreed to get the car, in few hours the SA called to say the car broke down and part is not available. I lost hopes of getting the car home for my family to sit in it. Finally, someone was visiting our neighbours who got a Nexon. I immediately requested the keys and made my family sit in it. They rejected the rear seat comfort because the seat corners don't meet the doors and hence the folks sitting in corners have one thigh not sitting on the bench and that was the same story with my Ritz and my family was in no mood to settle for it. The folks in the corner have to sit a little side ways and that was a big No from family, though they loved its build.

Honda Jazz. Have been in touch with Honda folks since a month and they confirmed that City production is delayed and hence Jazz will hit showrooms somewhere near October. I simply cannot wait that long. The SA also confirmed that the car would be around 10.3 on road for the lower CVT. That's almost a lac expensive than the Glanza. Today morning saw a 2017, 34000km run Jazz CVT. He quoted 6.6, i offered 5.5, he didn't budge below 6.

The day my family tried Nexon, same day Toyota folks hot home the Baleno for a drive. My family instantly likes the fact that all the 3 occupants in the back had their backs properly resting on the seat and they all had under thigh support. They instantly approved of it. Toyota people have been amazing. Timely follow-ups, instant reverts, the whole experience was just so professional and hassle free, unlike Tata. Today after I came back from seeing the Jazz, I had lunch and then walked to the Lakozy Toyota near my house. Finished the final nego and walked out with a booking.

Frankly, Glanza/Baleno was something that ticked most of the boxes. Space, a smooth gearbox, refined engine, ABS & Airbags, and a PROFESSIONAL interaction experience with their team is what made me go for it. It all just adds up.

For anyone who feels my write-up of Tata is exaggerated, pls PM me. I will share the conversation snapshots. Even my friends who are Tata fans and were keeping a track of my car purchase told me that it's high time you approach folks who are more responsive. Couldn't beg to buy anymore. Hoping for a smooth ownership experience of Glanza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Starting from Brezza to evaluating Nexon/Jazz and then finally settling for Glanza, you epitomise the confusions that a car-lover on a budget endures to get one home.
Most probably there is a web of family discussions and interesting tales (that happened in the background), which you can spin into a story and share with us on how did you meet your Toyota!

Congratulations on your choice and wishing you many happy miles!
Dieselritzer is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 23:57   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Frankly, Glanza/Baleno was something that ticked most of the boxes. Space, a smooth gearbox, refined engine, ABS & Airbags, and a PROFESSIONAL interaction experience with their team is what made me go for it. It all just adds up.
Good choice Dieselritzer. Going for a proper automatic from a segment below is way better than going for an AMT. You may have already understood from the ownership threads that an AMT experience is a 50-50 game in case of all the top 4 manufacturers. I am sure that CVT will be far more dependable and enjoyable to drive compared to Nexon AMT.

About Tata sales, they are still a long way away from providing a uniform experience in dealerships. Some dealerships go out of their way to serve you, while some behave like they don't care at all. This is something that Toyota has mastered and that is one of the reasons why they are able to sell their cars at a premium.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 16:56   #507
BHPian

Quote:
I tried really hard to buy the Nexon. 2 months of follow-up didn't get me a proper quote or a test drive vehicle. It felt as if I was .
Congrats on your new purchase.

I can echo your TATA sales experience. Not a long ago, I was looking to TD Nexon Diesel AMT. I called up the dealership and shared my buying interest. They called me and proposed to arrange a TD near my house. I was given the day and time for TD. The dealership is just 15 min walk from my place. However, I did not want to go there due to current situation. They never showed up and called me on the agreed time. I called the next day and again, I was promised the new meet time. Again, no one showed up or even had a courtesy to call me. I called couple of times and finally gave up as they did not seem interested. Also I decided to go 'used car' route and bought Honda City CVT.
daredevil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:32   #508
BHPian

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1747.jpg

I am writing this Purchase experience after six months of usage. Pardon for the delay.

Behind the scene:
I was quite happy with my pre-owned Volkswagen Polo TDI Highline 2012. But that german inspired happiness did not last long when I realized that my expenditure was touching half a lakh in one year just to maintain that bad boy. Greetings from coolant leakage, glowing plug light, glowing engine light, blinking airbag indicators, and ABS warning lights were like my morning cup of coffee. Obviously staff at OSL Exclusive ( Volkswagen ASS in Kolkata) became very good friends of mine as I used to have evening coffee at the service center most of the time.
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1087.jpg

Saying bye to my german friend:
On January 15th I took a decision to sell my Volkswagen and settle for a reliable machine.
I visited a few second-hand dealers in Kolkata and found out my VW was worth just 60 grands which was shocking and I dropped the idea of selling it to a dealer.
Later I found out OLX Cash my car outlet in Newtown, Kolkata and managed to bag a healthy 1.5 Lakhs.

The decision:
The very next day I simply took an uber and visited Topsel Toyota in Ruby, Kolkata. Things in my mind were crystal clear. I wanted a car which will be reliable and won't decide my coffee dates at service stations.

First consideration: Toyota Yaris J MT 2020 BSVI
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1096.jpg
I chose this as a option because it's the Toyota which I could afford with the maximum hole in my pocket.
  • Projectors and alloys are standard across range
  • Good legspace due to long wheelbase
  • Drives smooth (Keep in mind, I came from a diesel VW)
  • Cabin fit and finish was great
  • Front and Rear design is great
Loved
  • The way it handled on high speeds
  • Sure footed nature
  • Dual tone dash felt great
  • Effortless Engine
Dislikes
  • The underbody noise while in bad roads
  • Gearbox throw was kind of awkard for me ( I took double attempts while slotting into 2 & 3)
  • Cheap Looking gearknob and internal door handles in J trim
  • No auto AC ( Didn't expect in base trim but expected in a 10 lakh car)
  • Brakes had dual personality (atleast in the test drive vehicle)
Dropped because
  • On Road price was coming near 10.5 Lakhs which was a big hole in my small pocket
  • 9-10 Kmpl real life fuel efficiency
  • Very less features in J trim
Visited Honda and got electrified while learning the on-road cost of a new City.
After dropping Yaris and City I was convinced that this is not the age to run a sedan. Sedans will be costlier to purchase and gallop more fuel resulting in a broken bank statement.
Switched to searching for hatchbacks.
Few considerations were Swift, Figo, and Baleno.
  • No! Glanza was not in my list as every friend of mine shouted "Instead of rebadged maruti take the original maruti."
  • No VW due to a panic factor related to reliability & maintenance
  • No TATA due to reliability and maintenance factor
SWIFT:
  • Drives awesome
  • Best steering wheel in a hatchback
  • I liked the new look of current gen
  • But had to drop because non existent rear space. My parent's aren't happy since I bought Polo. No second mistake.
Figo:
  • Figo drove awesome. I loved the way it handles.
  • Very attractive maintenance programmes
  • Dropped because my dad did't like the styling.
  • I wasn't happy with halogen reflectors in 2020 either.
I won't write for Baleno as everything will be covered while writing for Glanza. Baleno ticked almost every box on our list but got dropped due to long waiting period and Maruti's service experience.
My colleague had purchased a Baleno Zeta 2020 and he was not happy with the experience and suggested staying away from Nexa.
He suggested Baleno is a great product but to take it from the Toyota stable.
We decided to visit Topsel again and had a look at Glanza.

Glanza 2020
First Impressions:
  • Baleno with a different grille
  • New Insta Blue colour is something totally different
  • Better Warranty offered
  • Cheaper than Baleno
  • Only two trims mean less confusion
  • Less than a week of waiting
  • No change in the car other than Toyota Logo.

I was inclined towards G trim as the extra features in V didn't make me drool over it.
  • Auto wipers : I didn't require. If present, I won't use it.
  • Auto Headlamps: Not my requirement
  • UV Cut glasses: I prefer installing Garware sun protection with 70% visibility on four windows. Using in all our cars.
  • DRL: I don't find it worth the extra penny
  • Rear Tail lamp LED: Not a deal maker
  • Rear camera: Was being offered as OEm accessory with G trim

First drive experience:
  • Steering is super smooth in city limits
  • Engine is almost silent in city, I had to check RPM again and again
  • Clutch is light ( releif from diesel VW pain)
  • Gearbox is smooth and clicky
  • Noise insulation isn't great. Tyre & wind noise prominent after 70 KMPH
  • Spacious. Acres of legroom in rear seats. Happy parents.
  • Loaded with features
  • White projectors lit up the road with ease.

Booking
I booked my Glanza G MT BSVI in Insta Blue colour on 22nd January 2020.
The booking amount was INR 50,000 (chosen by me, there was option from INR 10,000).
They informed me that my vehicle will reach the dealer on 26th January and I can expect the delivery on 1st February.
The booking process was super smooth. I personally found the Topsel Toyota salespeople to be frank. Those gentlemen didn't force me for accessories. There was a nice interactive display in the dealership which shows each accessory and the look of the vehicle after fitment.
I chose accessories of my own choice and they quoted me the price of approximately INR8,80,000/- on-road after rough calculations.

I was called on 27th January 2020 in the morning for pre-delivery inspection. I visited their showroom with the Teambhp checklist and found everything to be perfect.
They sent the car for registration as HDFC Bank was kind enough to dispatch the loan amount within correct date.
Shockingly they were on time. The dealership called me and confirmed the delivery date on 1st February 2020.

Delivery Day 1st February 2020, Topsel Toyota Kolkata
Everything was arranged. We arrived the dealership around 10:30 AM and the delivery was completed within next 30 minutes. Kudos to the efficiency of Toyota people.

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1754.jpg
Details of the Car
Car : Toyota Glanza
Trim : G (MT)
Colour : Insta Blue
Engine : Four Cylinder, 16 Valve DOHC 1197cc K-series VVT BS6 (Petrol)
Fuel Tank Capacity : 37 Liters
Wheels/Tyres : 195/55 R16 Alloy
Max Power : 82bhp
Boot Space : 339 liters
Year of Manufacture : 2020 (January)
Dealer: Topsel Toyota, Kolkata

On Road Price Glanza G MT BSVI in Kolkata
Ex-showroom price - INR 7,05,000/-
Insurance INR 60,476/- 3 Years (Zero Dep from Iffco Tokio - Toyota Protect)
Registration INR 1040/-
Road Tax INR 72950/- (15 Years)
Handling Charges - INR 2000/-
Toyota Genuine Accessories Package^ INR 25,000/-
Paint Protection(6 Inspection/correction free) - INR 5050/-
Extended Warranty(4th & 5th year/1,00,000 kms) INR 10,999/-
Fastag (HDFC) INR 500/-

Total Cost INR 8,83,015/-

Discounts:
Corporate discount : INR 5000/-
Dealer Discount: INR 5000/-
Effective Cost: 8,73,015/-

Freebies:
- Underbody coating(5 years warranty)
- Surprisingly Half a tank fuel was there at delivery

^Toyota Genuine Accessories Package:
- High Quality Floor Mats (4 Pcs)
- OEM Reverse Camera
- 3D Trunk Mat
- Chrome Garnish on Trunk
- Chrome Bumper Protector
- Chrome Body side lining
- Chrome rear bumper protector
- Mud Flaps - 4pcs (Rear ones are too small)
- Door Visiors (4 Pcs)
- Car Cover
Some pictures of my new ride.
Front looks cute in my opinion. Circular lines and rounded shape gives me happy vibes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1747.JPG
Views:	1203
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	2032148

Even I am not a big fan of chrome, side profile looks cooler with chrome inserts. Chrome provides nice contrast with dark body colour.
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1750.jpg

I really appreciate the bumper protection design and placement. Unusual design.
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1749.jpg

I did not take seat covers from the dealership as I wanted them to be in a lighter shade as the interior was in black.
The dealership had only black coloured seat covers to offer.
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1799.jpg

Important task: Handover the vehicle to Captain America.
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1763.jpg

How can I forget that awesome cookie box from Toyota.
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1760.jpg

The real part: The review
I will start from inside. The car is all black from inside. Build quality is typical of Maruti (yes I know it's Glanza).
I like the seats. They are well supportive and comfortable. Felt it is better than my old Polo.
Definitely big thumbs up for the beautiful multi-information display.

Icy cool blue colour on MID looks brilliant. I like those interactive fuel economy figures.
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1758.jpg

Instrument console is lightened up whenever you start your car. Nothing changes in night/when head lamps switched on.
Notice the proper Glanza replica inside MID to show driver door is open.
It shows exactly which door is open (including boot).
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1808.jpg

LED guidelines act as parking lights. Looks striking.
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1865.jpg

Projectors look very good and enhance the overall look of the vehicle.
Visibility in night is very good.
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1863.jpg

Low beam is strong. Works better in dark/badly lit roads.
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_2130.jpg

High beam is strong too.
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_2129.jpg

I quite like the exeterior of Glanza. It has some minimalistic tasteful design language. Personally I do not prefer overdone styling on my car.
But when it comes to the colour, I like to stand out with a subtle taste at the traffic signal. Insta blue is one shade that caught my eyes.

This Insta Blue shade looks awesome on Glanza.
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1784.jpg
The car stands out in traffic without being flashy or whacky. ( I don't mind a Lambo in Mint green )
How it drives?

1. Totally silent below 2k RPM mark. In city traffic, you never hear your engine. In lonely roads with 40kmph you might feel like in an electric vehicle.
  2. In daily commute it picks up pace quite effortlessly from stand still. Especially in gear 1 & 2.
  3. Drives so good till 80-90 Kmph
  4. Cornering performance is quite good for a premium family hatchback.
  5. It has a bit stiffer suspension setup. Changing direction is easy even on high speeds.
  6. Light steering wheel makes it easy to manoeuvre in city traffic.

Dislikes:
  1. Brakes are great but while breaking rear of the car becomes unstable. This occurs while I am alone in the car. Doesn't occur when my family is in.
  2. Steering doesn't feel connected. My old polo steering had a much more connective feeling.
  3. Not always sure-footed. Sometimes the car behaves strangely while trying to steer enthusiastically. I think it's normal for a family car.
  4. Pickup in 4th and 5th gear is slow. The engine takes it's sweet time to react whenever you floor the accelerator.
  5. This is a light car. Doesn't feel inspiring beyond 90 KMPH.
  6. Sound isolation is pathetic. You hear everything happening out of your car.
  7. All black interior in a family vehicle. My mom always complaints against claustrophobic feeling.
Must need points in next update of te vehicle:
  1. Dual tone interior with better quality materials.
  2. Better sheet metal. Existing one is thin as weafer.
  3. Better ABS calibration. The current one is inconsistent.

Thought to shoot few photos against my friend's Suzuki Baleno Zeta.
Twins stand side by side. No difference other than grille.
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1761.jpg

Some more photo of the twins. Might help folks, confused between Balno & Glanza.
Front:
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1783.jpg

Rear:
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_1797.jpg

Update 1:
Took my car to first service on 25 Feb 2020 with 1300KMs on ODO.
Topsel Toyota did it under express maintenance and gave me a Zero amount bill.

Update 2:
Took my car to second free service on 30 May 2020 with 5103 KMs on ODO.
Topsel Toyota charged INR 1388/- for car sanitization.
Breakup:
Bactakleen INR 1062/-
Sanitization INR 325/-

Rest of the work was not billed.
Total Bill INR 1388/-

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd August 2020 at 21:14. Reason: Extra smileys deleted
rajarshi94 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 13:16   #509
Senior - BHPian

If it turns out Maruti has the better resale value of the two, just change a few emblems and the front grille and you have got a Maruti right there

Jokes apart, I quite like the Baleno and therefore the Glanza. Overall Toyota dealerships have better reviews than Maruti so you got that covered as well. Congrats on your purchase.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 13:28   #510
Senior - BHPian

Should be great for Toyota to get new customers into their dealerships. But the upgrade path for them within Toyota is not existent. They need a Ciaz derivative with proper changes in the interior to upsell.

Or they could work with Maruti to get a proper mid size crossover without the weird design cues like angular panels that Toyota is know for. Maybe they should ask Maruti to do the external design on one of their existing platforms

Most Viewed