Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2020, 13:50   #511
BHPian

Re: Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Frankly, Glanza/Baleno was something that ticked most of the boxes. Space, a smooth gearbox, refined engine, ABS & Airbags, and a PROFESSIONAL interaction experience with their team is what made me go for it. It all just adds up.
Is the car in your stable already? Mine came exactly a month ago and today was the 1 month service ( where they did nothing, because the dealer was short on staff due to Raksha Bandhan and miscommunication between the teleoperator and service guys).
1 thing I would like to highlight is that the VIN number too is of the MSIL series. When I got the VIN number, was trying to decode it using Toyota's serial interpreter, however the VIN on a Glanza is 17 digits, whereas other Toyota's have a 22 digit VIN.
I got a Feb 20 Vehicle in July 20 which was okay with me,as I didn't want to wait any further. ( I had passed on the Jazz CVT to my employee during Lockdown and was short on 1 vehicle at home)
After the BRV and City, the Glanza was such an attraction at home, just because of the 'posh' interiors and the Carplay compatible AVN .
The Car delivery was a low-key affair, with no puja ceremony at the showroom. A box of 'God-things' was handed over for a DIY puja at home.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 12:08   #512
BHPian

Hello Folks,
Apologies for not sharing the most exciting update for me, the car coming home. Let me try and share the entire experience:

The car: A Silver G CVT Variant. It gets all the regular features like projector headlamps, steering mounted controls, rear wipers, center armrest, alloys, Apple car play & Android Auto, etc. What it misses out mostly is on DRLs, Auto headlamps/wipers, rear camera, UV tint glass to name a few.

Toyota Lakozy Andheri East: The entire experience of dealing with this showroom has been top notch. My benchmark for service and responsiveness is Maruti and these guys are right there. I was negotiating the price with them & Millennium Toyota Santacruz & considering the final offer given by Lakozy & the fact that their outlet is a 5 min walk from my home, I decided to buy the car from them.

I walked in their showroom with a cheque book & the final price was negotiated in ten minutes as 90% of the price alignment was done on phone. I have been dealing with Mr Hiren who has been extremely professional, methodical and clear in communication. The day I booked the car, I got a clear list of docs to be shared. I took company car loan that got approved in a week. I got a 60K discount on the on-road price.

The day I paid the full money to Toyota, my ask was that the car should go for registration AFTER I do the PDI & I only opted for basic accessories like mats, mud flaps & asked them to fit the rear view camera as it was the only major feature I feel missing Vs the V variant.

Also, the day I paid them the money, I was added in a whatsapp group that has Hiren, The insurance guy, the service manager of that outlet & the dealership manager. I thought this was an extremely good gesture as they all are super responsive to any query I have. This just makes the entire experience so hassle free unlike some other companies where my experience was pathetic while I waited for weeks for simple reverts. In Insurance, I opted for RTI, zero dep & have taken the extended warranty, taking the total warranty to 5 years or 1 lac kms.

Day of PDI: It took me a week to pay them in full. I was kept well updated about the cars arrival. For the PDI, the car was kept inside the showroom. It took me 40 mins to complete the PDI after which the car was moved back to its parking area.

Delivery day: The next 5-6 days went by in completing few formalities and the delivery day arrived. By 12:30 me and my wife went to the showroom. All the documents were handed over, features were explained, Dos and Don'ts for an automatic were explained and in 30 mins we were out. I was not expecting them to do any pooja rituals considering the Pandemic situation.

The car: I come from a humble Ritz VDI that served me beautifully. It was my first car and will remain special to me for all my life. Compared to the Ritz, below are my observations:

- NVH. The basic difference between the diesel clatter & the petrol humm. Frankly, I love the diesel clatter, but my family loves the calmer more polished experience when it comes to NVH.
- Features: This is the first car I am owning which has a Day/Night auto IRVM, steering mounted controls & ACC & I am never going back to a car without these features. What a beautiful difference it makes in the whole driving experience. Especially the steering mounted controls & ACC. No more looking at the central console while driving.
- Space: The primary reason why we wanted a new car was the lack of space in Ritz. This has been covered enough so I won't elaborate more on this.
- The CVT: Loving it. At 80 the RPM needle is near 2K mark and it cruises so smoothly. I am learning the art of throttle input to get the best out of the CVT and considering that I live in Mumbai and won't ever do a drag race, this is just so perfect. CVT is MILES better than an AMT as I recall all my test drives of AMT equipped cars.
- Headlights: This car has LED Projectors and I find them way better than the Ritz but frankly, now that I am experiences rains, the yellow light is no match for the white LEDs. But it is not too bad either and in normal situation they are more than adequate.

Things that I am getting used to:
- The lower stance of the car: Ritz is a beautiful tall boy and it felt more airy, this doesn't. Vertical space is a compromise, length and width of the car is an upgrade.
- Throttle input: Coming from a Diesel, Petrols need more revving and I am learning it. The 1.3 Diesel was a breeze require mild inputs once it was in its Turbo range. Petrols need some more revving right from the word Go.

I have only driven it for 50 kms or so hence the list of dislikes will need more observation. I am never behind squeezing FEs from the cars but for those who are curious, I am getting 12 KMPL as of now as shown on MID. The upcoming Nasik/Pune trips will give a better idea.

This is the first automatic in my family, including my maternal & paternal first cousins. After driving it, I have come to a realization that 90% of irritation while driving was a result of our crazy traffic and the pain the legs went through. I now drive very calmly, letting the speed build up and I don't give a damn about anyone entering my lane or cutting me in traffic. For folks in metros, please do consider automatics if manuals have been your preference all this while.

Sharing some pictures. I think this color looks elegant.

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_20200728_130751-2.jpg

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 3961
Size:  646.6 KB

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-img_20200728_134126.jpg

Some observations on buying a car in a Pandemic: The sales guys are under pressure considering that people are struggle financially and emotionally and hence buying a new car is not a priority anymore. Footfalls in showrooms are down drastically and that is the only place where a new car is sold. Some pointers from my end:
  1. Its a great time to buy, be assertive on getting a good price. Don't be arrogant and demanding. As a sales profession in a non-essential category, it is a nightmarish time. I always spoke in a cool calm manner & I think I was offered a good discount. I am buying the car for many years and would want to keep wonderful relations with all the folks from whom I am buying it.
  2. Be patient. I could see that Hiren (the sales guy) was really multi-tasking. From getting me the forms, cars follow-up, document follow-up from me, etc. They are short on staff due to Covid and people are stretching their capacity to get work done. If there are a few days delays, be considerate. I consider myself blessed and lucky to be in a position to buy a car when many are trying to survive and trying to save their jobs. In my entire interaction with Toyota, I was very clear that they should ensure no Covid related safety compromises are done for me. I am buying a car, not a life saving urgent equipment, I can always wait and accept the delay.
  3. I gave detailed feedback whenever asked for. For us, its a trivial thing, but for them, getting a good feedback from customers/clients can be the difference between a great hike & an avg hike, or even a promotion. They did their part, I should do mine.

That is all from my end. Thank you!

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th August 2020 at 13:37. Reason: Correction - as requested
Dieselritzer is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 16:50   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I walked in their showroom with a cheque book & the final price was negotiated in ten minutes as 90% of the price alignment was done on phone. I have been dealing with Mr Hiren who has been extremely professional, methodical and clear in communication.

- Headlights: This car has LED Projectors and I find them way better than the Ritz but frankly, now that I am experiences rains, the yellow light is no match for the white LEDs. But it is not too bad either and in normal situation they are more than adequate.
Brilliant initial review, and the car looks excellent. This silver is probably my favourite shade - along with the blue.

Interestingly, the sales experience you seem to have had seems that much better handled than the Mercedes enquiry I had made.

Just one note on the lights: I actually found the halogens to offer better visibility than white Xenons / HIDs. Maybe a simple bulb upgrade could do some wonders.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 20:26   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarshi94 View Post

I am writing this Purchase experience after six months of usage. Pardon for the delay.
Quote:
Hello Folks,
Apologies for not sharing the most exciting update for me, the car coming home. Let me try and share the entire experience:
Nicely written reviews and wish you both many happy miles with your Glanzas. Why not write an initial ownership review to be put up in the Test Drives & initial Ownership Reviews section? You can update your ownership experiences regularly and I for one would be following them regularly.

Quote:
I won't write for Baleno as everything will be covered while writing for Glanza. Baleno ticked almost every box on our list but got dropped due to long waiting period and Maruti's service experience.
My colleague had purchased a Baleno Zeta 2020 and he was not happy with the experience and suggested staying away from Nexa.
He suggested Baleno is a great product but to take it from the Toyota stable.
We decided to visit Topsel again and had a look at Glanza.
Exactly, this is the reason why I chose the Glanza over Baleno. Visits to the local Maruti workshop on my FIL's Ignis always found it to be overcrowded, the SAs were stretched with work and as it was if we had to chase the SA everytime.

Two visits to the Toyota workshop and it has been very smooth so far.

Quote:
I was inclined towards G trim as the extra features in V didn't make me drool over it.[*]Auto wipers : I didn't require. If present, I won't use it.
The highest trim(V) of the Glanza is not equipped with auto wipers.

Quote:

Sharing some pictures. I think this color looks elegant.
It sure does!!! I am glad I chose to (rather, forced to) got with this colour( I had shortlisted White or Grey - a V MT in White wasn't available for immediate delivery, so chose to go with the Silver V MT). It looks really nice at twilight time.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 14:35   #515
BHPian

This weekend was the first drive of the car on the highways and below are my observations:

Route: Mumbai - Pune & back the next day.
Car occupancy: me and wife and a duffel bag. but on the return journey, we had the boot loaded with 11 big porcelain pots.

Avg: 16 while going and 17.5 on the way back. Includes city driving.

Speeds: On the expressway, constant between 110 and 118. The ting ting at 120 sure gets your attention and I personally felt 118 or so is a decent speed to cruise.

Cruising ability: On the expressway, there aren't many instances where you go pedal to the floor to overtake. Might be on the ghat to overtake that slow moving truck but most of the drive is just plain cruising. After driving a diesel for so many years, I am used to light throttle inputs that would get the car going, thanks to that Turbo. This being an NA Petrol engine, I have to be more generous with the throttle and that needs getting used to. The engine at 2500 RPM takes me to 110 kms. Till 120/130 it can cruise easily, beyond that the engine screams & the NVH isn't that great so I wont be touching those RPMs most of the times.

Ability to gain speeds while in motion: Needs efforts and one must understand the cars behavior. Frankly, I haven't driven it on undivided single lane highways yet but on the expressway I tried a few times to imagine a scenario where I want to overtake a slow moving vehicle. If you are at 80/90 and want to touch 100/110 for that overtake, it will take a very proper judgement as this won't be a quick affair. if you are at 50/60 and want to touch 80 or so, you can just press the A pedal more and the car quickly gains speed.

The Sports button: I'll say it improves things by 20%. It can be used for overtaking while on a gradient. For 95% of the times, you will NOT need to use it. In my entire journey I used it twice just to observe what happens and not because I needed to use it.

L mode: Did not use it even once till now. For those of you who know the Mumbai-Pune E-Way, for that kind of a gradient, you don't need the L mode. Adjust throttle inputs and you'll be fine.

By Gods grace, I haven't had to slam the brakes yet so cannot comment on it.

The entire drive was pleasant. Mild rains, lush greenery everywhere and not too much of traffic. On my way back, JVLR had a lot of traffic owing to the metro work and I felt glad for not having to deal with a clutch & the gears.

Last edited by Dieselritzer : 17th August 2020 at 14:53.
Dieselritzer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:38   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,
Firstly, congratulations on your new Beauty!
I have always been a fan of the Baleno for the way it looks, the sweet petrol motor and sheer cabin space which is better than some mid-sizers!
And I must say, your baby with the Toyota badge looks even better and inspires more confidence too
I can relate with your experiences as our story is pretty similar! We had a first gen Dzire Mjet for seven years (2010-2017) and then we upgraded to the 3rd gen Dzire Alpha K12 AMT in the silver shade.
The K12 is a butter smooth engine with instant performance on tap but we do sometimes miss the turbo kick and the excellent mid-range of the Multijet.

CVT+K12 is the smoothest duo in the Hatchback category right now along with the Jazzy Jazz.

Two questions from my side-
1.Any specific reason for not considering the capable Jazz?
2.Does your car have Suzuki's mild Hybrid tech?

Wishing you lacs of joyful and hassle-free miles with the Smooth operator!
Old 18th August 2020, 11:50   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This weekend was the first drive of the car on the highways and below are my observations:
Can you please try this in your car's Infotainment system? I don't know if it is a software bug or was it designed to work this way - Certain settings in the system automatically reset to default within 36-48 hours of being set in my Glanza.

1. The Clock(if set in 24 hour format) automatically resets to 12 hour format(AM/PM)
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-glanza_24hr-format.jpg
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-glanz_main-screen24-hr-format.jpg
The clock automatically resets to 12 hour format(AM/PM) around 36-48 hours after being set to 24 hour format. So the time would be shown as 11:24 AM in this case(after reset to default), 01:30 PM and so on(instead of 11:24, 13:30 etc).

2. Shortcuts(to settings) in pull down menu too reset to default
Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-glanza_drop-down-menu.jpg
^^ These shortcuts (marked in Red) disappear after 36-48 hours from the drop down menu and are replaced by the "+" Icons to add settings shortcuts. Oddly, the first "Paired Devices" shortcut stays.

This automatic reset happens 36-48 hours after I make the change in the settings. It is as if the system forgets this setting and reverts to default on its own. Number of times the vehicle is started in between these 36-48 hours does not matter. The settings work for minimum of 36 hours. But somewhere between 36-48 hours of the settings change, it resets to default.

However, No change was noticed to the Paired Devices settings- it remembers my mobile phone and the last song played over Bluetooth or through cable(for android Auto)

Last edited by skanchan95 : 18th August 2020 at 12:11.
Old 18th August 2020, 16:06   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
Two questions from my side-
1.Any specific reason for not considering the capable Jazz?
2.Does your car have Suzuki's mild Hybrid tech?

Wishing you lacs of joyful and hassle-free miles with the Smooth operator!
Thank you for your wishes sir. Below are the reasons for not considering the Jazz:
1. Lack of availability. Its been many months that Honda is not manufacturing it and I have no clue by when it will be available in the showrooms. I wanted a car ASAP so got the Glanza.

2. Pricing: The base Auto variant of Jazz is almost 70K expensive on road than Glanza. Add to it that the updated Jazz will get a price hike taking the difference much higher.

3. Lack of features: No adjustable rear headrest, halogen lights, manual IRVM, and to call it a premium hatch is a bit too rich.

4. With 4 adults on board Jazz sags quite a bit. Tested this and comparatively Glanza fares ok.

Glanza CVT does NOT get the mild hybrid.
Dieselritzer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 14:15   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota - Suzuki alliance enters S Africa with badge engineered cars!

Toyota Starlet Production Begins In India For African Markets.

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-toyotastarlet20202696x392.jpg

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-toyotastarlet202031068x601.jpg

Toyota Starlet premium hatchback is manufactured at Suzuki’s plant in Gujarat, and is the rebadged version of Glanza sold in India

Quote:
Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) introduced the Glanza midway through last year and it has become a decent seller for the Japanese manufacturer. The premium hatchback is the rebadged version of the Baleno, which is the top-selling model for Maruti Suzuki at the Nexa dealerships

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th August 2020 at 14:28.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 07:00   #520
BHPian

To the Glanza owners, do you'll think the suspension is super stiff? I know that the Baleno owners initially complained of a very hard suspension and later Maruti replaced it with a softer one. I feel that even my Ritz had a softer suspension vs Glanza.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 22:53   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To the Glanza owners, do you'll think the suspension is super stiff? I know that the Baleno owners initially complained of a very hard suspension and later Maruti replaced it with a softer one. I feel that even my Ritz had a softer suspension vs Glanza.
Hey congratulations on your new car. Not sure how I missed this.

Hope you have checked tyre pressure post delivery. Dealers over inflate the tyres for stocking in Yard. My car had 50PSI all around.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 16:16   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Hey congratulations on your new car. Not sure how I missed this.

Hope you have checked tyre pressure post delivery. Dealers over inflate the tyres for stocking in Yard. My car had 50PSI all around.

Regards,
Shashi
Hi,
the tyre pressure on the day of delivery was 40 something which i got it down to 32. I still find the ride quality to be very stiff, especially at the rear. Or is it coz I havent really driven with 4 onboard?
Old 28th August 2020, 16:31   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
the tyre pressure on the day of delivery was 40 something which i got it down to 32. I still find the ride quality to be very stiff, especially at the rear. Or is it coz I havent really driven with 4 onboard?
Is the recommended pressure 32? I have heard its 29PSI. Try 29 and please let me know.

Regards,
Shashi
Old 30th August 2020, 07:29   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I found it bit uncomfortable on bad patches when carrying less speed. Feels so hard when I am driving alone. But while I am moving with my family it feels comfortable.
In higher speeds same patches doesn’t feel that much hard but be careful as you might hear some annoying noise while crossing those bad patches due to lack of proper underbody insulation.
Recently rode a Scorpio S5 9 Seater option on same roads and I was tossed several times. (stiffer suspension due to 9 seater? Any clue?)
Whereas my Glanza never tossed me other than hitting hard on my heart with the “thuds”.

Toyota Glanza G MT BSVI
Old 30th August 2020, 09:26   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Recommended pressure is 29 on all 4 tyres even with full load. It is quite comfortable at 29. In fact I love the ride quality on good roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks