Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2019, 13:16   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Awesome Preview. As a person who has not followed the Venue too closely, this preview gave me everything I needed to know and even more. Thanks Viddy.

Have no doubt that this will become another blockbuster for Hyundai (Even if it is priced at typical 'Hyundai' Levels). Seems to be a well rounded product with lot of bling and features backed by good engines and transmissions.

Disappointed to see the AT does not seem to have a Sports Mode. Considering it is a Turbo Petrol + DCT combo, a Sports Mode would have been really good.

The whole connected car thingy seems to be over-hyped. Don't see anything that is extremely useful or valuable in the current set up(For the owner). For Hyundai it is a start to tap into a gold mine of vehicle data based on which the services can be extended to something more useful for the owner. (Not great from a privacy perspective though).
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 13:59   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

The whole connected car thingy seems to be over-hyped. Don't see anything that is extremely useful or valuable in the current set up(For the owner). For Hyundai it is a start to tap into a gold mine of vehicle data based on which the services can be extended to something more useful for the owner. (Not great from a privacy perspective though).
Exactly, many car manufacturers had the connected features before not through telematics, but with Bluetooth via some app (Maruti's Suzuki connect or Mahindra's Bluesense). So the features are more or less similar but only the remote engine start and AC controls from outside Bluetooth range are more beneficial.

Remember this SOS feature after crash was already introduced in Mahindra XUV 500 (eCall as M&M coined the term). only improvement (and really important) in Venue is that this works even without pairing the phone via BT.

I feel somehow that Hyundai marketing has done a better job for creating such hype than other companies. And our market is more brand sensitive which makes it even easier.
saikarthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 17:22   #138
BANNED

1. Who pays for the SIM?
2. What if I port it to some other provider?
3. If I drive to my GF's, can my wife find out?
4. If my present employer gifts me a Venue, and I drive to attend a job interview?
5. If my employee removes the SIM from the car I gave him ...?
6. If a Venue causes a hit and run, can law enforcement poke into records of all Venues in the vicinity?

Venue is going to be the venue for an aadhar like battle over privacy. Or am I being too paranoid?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 17:27   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
1. Who pays for the SIM?
4. If my present employer gifts me a Venue, and I drive to attend a job interview?
6. If a Venue causes a hit and run, can law enforcement poke into records of all Venues in the vicinity?

Venue is going to be the venue for an aadhar like battle over privacy. Or am I being too paranoid?
Valid queries. I guess we will know once Hyundai clarifies there points or the initial owners take the initiative first. I am quite doubtful whether the sales advisers will be able to handle this in the beginning.

But most importantly, you should be worried about your wife finding out about your GF. That is more fatal, rather than just a breach/battle of privacy.
Myth_sx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 17:37   #140
BHPian

From what I understand (& I've read so far, somewhere):

Quote:
1. Who pays for the SIM?
The first 3 years are paid by Hyundai. Post that, I think the car owners will have to (or there is no incentive for Vodafone to provide this.

Quote:
I don't think you can(?), not sure though. It is an e-sim.

Quote:

The car can be monitored by the app. So if your wife checks your phone or has the app as well, she can.

Quote:

A gift implies transfer of ownership (generally) and good faith. That means you have access to the app and its data. The employer has no claim at all. So no, the employer won't be able to check when you go on other job interviews unless it was a bad faith gift (in which case, why were you with that company to begin with )

Quote:

Can't remove an e-sim.

Quote:

Through a court order? Yes, I think so. If the law enforcement agencies follow the proper channel, I don't see a problem. Privacy laws in India aren't much strong either and car makers should provide the information through legal channels.

Quote:
..Or am I being too paranoid?
I'd say a bit. But let's hope for the best, 'cos as of now everyone is in uncharted territory
ValarMorghulis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 17:47   #141
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
In the picture attached with this description - seems like the steering wrap has a tear just above the seam near 9 O' clock position and the foam is visible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainyamk95 View Post
It seems you're pointing at the sunlight falling on the left hand side of the wheel.
Here is the zoomed in portion of the picture, lacks clarity but if you do look at the original one posted in the Preview and zoom in you will be able to see this better.

This seems like a cut of about 1-2 inch length and the foam inside the wrap is visible (definitely seems like foam to my eye)
Position of the tear is more like near 10 O' clock position.
Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-p4170781.jpg

Last edited by NPV : 8th May 2019 at 17:49.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 17:52   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Here is the zoomed in portion of the picture, lacks clarity but if you do look at the original one posted in the Preview and zoom in you will be able to see this better.

This seems like a cut of about 1-2 inch length and the foam inside the wrap is visible (definitely seems like foam to my eye)
Position of the tear is more like near 10 O' clock position.
Attachment 1874569
It's the sun shining on the steering. no foam or anything was out of place in the cabin. It was well built overall.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 18:37   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The whole connected car thingy seems to be over-hyped. Don't see anything that is extremely useful or valuable in the current set up(For the owner).
Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
I feel somehow that Hyundai marketing has done a better job for creating such hype than other companies. And our market is more brand sensitive which makes it even easier.
I do agree with this over-hyped connected cars part, both for Hyundai Venue (33 connected features, 10 just for India) as well as MG Hector ( ~ 100 connected features).

But at the same time, there are a couple of features that I had thought about in my mind in the past. For example, those times when you head out of a restaurant after catching up with friends over lunch and get into the car parked under the sun. The feature of being able to start the car and switch on the AC say 10 mins prior would be very useful.

I used to open up all windows and let fresh air in and help with ventilation a bit, on my X1 using the remote keys while I would just stand under a tree nearby.
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 18:40   #144
BHPian

Quote:
1. Who pays for the SIM?

Let me throw some insight into these queries as much as I know.

When it comes to automotive applications, OEMs do not use regular sim cards. They use automotive grade eSIMs (embedded in PCB of the infotainment/ICE), so the arrangement is permanent and not accessible to customer. Typical life of these are around 10 years.

I will try to answer your questions in same serial number.

1. Good question. There are multiple ways depending upon the agreement made by OEM/service provider (like vodafone, airtel)/cloud space provider (where your data gets stored).
a. One time license cost paid (without choice) to OEM during vehicle purchase.
b. Like subscription - pay yearly to OEM (usually happens when OEMs improve software in your vehicle and add more features as years pass).
c. OEM absorbs the cost - can't confirm only assuming.

2. No can't do my friend. Can't port to different service provider.

3. Maybe, if the OEM allows tracking car real time and your wife has installed the official APP which is verified with your car.

4. No, I don't think so. Real time tracking may be restricted. (Points 3 & 4 are linked)

5. As explained before - can't do in my experience.

6. Possible, if proper FIR is filed. But i doubt if the cloud server will keep track of real time/past location data. This point has to be clarified by experts.
saikarthik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 21:29   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Has there been a more hyped car launch/release than the Venue in recent years? Just curious.

The Tata Harrier comes to my mind and that one was a disappointment. Fingers crossed for this one.
sharninder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 22:38   #146
Senior - BHPian

Got a call from Trident Hyundai Bangalore for a preview of the Venue. They said that they would want to come and personally give me an invite! I asked them if they had any invite thru mail, but they insisted on coming over. Finally asked them to call me on the weekend since I was at office!
I did not register for the Venue and neither did I make an enquiry. Just happened to have bought 2 Hyundai cars in the last 1 year, and hence no possibility of me buying another car for the next 4-5 years!
Old 9th May 2019, 09:31   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Who pays for the SIM?
1. Hyundai I assume, monthly charges applicable or not I'm not sure but may not be the case for a year or so.

2. Again, not sure.. depends on the tie-up with Hyundai so it may not be immediately possible. Vodafone is any day better in ethics than Airtel.

3. The car would be the least of your problems

4. The tracking goes only as far as the car, it wont triangulate you in the office cabin while giving an interview.. and any boss that "gifts" a car and takes control of its tracking features is like Google. Nuff said.

5. What if someone stole your phone and wallet? India-specific precautions are to be taken in this as well.

6. Its as simple as this, if you want to go off-grid, do not buy smart/connected ANYTHING. T.V, phones, cars, puters, etc.. also keep a lookout for CCTVs (both governmental and private) and circumvent them. Society today is more voyeuristic than ever (pardon the expression).

I'm an anti-tech guy myself, so don't think that I was knocking your paranoia.. just choose the balance that works best for you and stick with it. Lower the tech/connectedness the better.

Last edited by dark.knight : 9th May 2019 at 09:33.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 14:21   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
I booked the DCT SX+ last week but decided to not go ahead with the booking after checking the features list. Now the dealer is asking me to submit all documents and process the booking and only then can it be cancelled. I just don't see a point in submitting my ID and address proof when in all likelihood I will not purchase the car. I don't understand why Hyundai can accept an online booking but can not cancel it.

I called Hyundai customer care and they said that Hyundai accepts booking on behalf of the dealer so only the dealer can cancel the booking. And, I always thought dealers work on behalf of the company. :( I am not going to waste my time and documents in dealing with the dealer with whom I had never engaged while booking. Have written to Hyundai, let's see how they handle it.
Let us know how it goes. For what it's worth, I just checked with Trident Hyundai in Bangalore about the cancellation of booking and they told me that I needed to mail them the screenshot of booking and they will process the refund in 5-6 days. You could mention it to your dealer if it helps your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
One aspect we must take into consideration is that the samples they showcased during launch, could be pre-production units.
I believe you're right that those units were pre-production. A Trident Hyundai dealer just sent me the same exact list of features from Autocar India. Time to end wishful thinking on my part :(

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-screenshot_20190509141513__01.jpg

Last edited by kubectl : 9th May 2019 at 14:28.
kubectl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 23:24   #149
BHPian

With time at my Hands, tried to draw a correlation of the sizes of the Venue's Competition. (Matched the Width & Height to the exact Pixel size of the boxes below)

Turns out Venue is not in the same field as the Biggies of the bunch

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-size-comparison.jpg

It rather locks horn in size with the smaller 'tiny'SUVs of the world.

After the 1st Day Bookings of 2,000 nos. Awaiting the response of the 1st Week.

I believe it should be in excess of 10,000!

But Hyundai, if you really want to convert them to sales, Please don't act greedy and Price this sensibly.

Last edited by Moto$apien : 9th May 2019 at 23:25.
Moto$apien is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 10:51   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
Turns out Venue is not in the same field as the Biggies of the bunch...

It rather locks horn in size with the smaller 'tiny'SUVs of the world.
Well-spotted! Having said that, I suppose the shorter height translates into nicer handling and lesser body-roll, and I'm saying this not just for driving-pleasure purposes. A cousin of mine, for example, had to trade in his Q5 because the higher centre of gravity started hurting his neck.

I do hope the ground-clearance is decent though
Punatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks