Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2020, 14:32   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

https://www.rushlane.com/maruti-suzu...-12378204.html

The picture from the production floor looks to be like a RHD Jimny..
Old 8th October 2020, 14:41   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
The picture from the production floor looks to be like a RHD Jimny..
Maybe, but the article mentions this image as a file photo. So this could also be from some other manufacturing plant.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 11:01   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

New insights to the 5 door Suzuki Jimny theory:

- Five-Door Suzuki Jimny Coming As Junior Jeep Wrangler

- Three door Jimny will come in 2021, while the 5 door in 2022.

-The little SUV is yet to be released in India where it is expected to debut in a commercial-oriented configuration, unlike the comparatively luxurious model on sale elsewhere

-Jimny will be offered in a super-cool looking five-door version, which means more space and practicality; perfect for the Indian market.

- The five-door car will be co-developed by Suzuki and Toyota and will make use of the Raize compact SUV architecture.

-The larger car will fill the shoes of the legendary Suzuki Gypsy and is expected to be powered by the same naturally-aspirated 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine found in other models of the Suzuki models in India

-Power will be sent to the rear wheels, with a selectable four-wheel-drive system on standby.

-Expect the five door version to make its debut in 2022, following the Indian debut of the three door version

- Will a replica of the Jimny be shared with Toyota ? Could be for certain export markets ?

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th October 2020 at 11:09.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 13:02   #364
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
New insights to the 5 door Suzuki Jimny theory:

1- Five-Door Suzuki Jimny Coming As Junior Jeep Wrangler

2- Three door Jimny will come in 2021, while the 5 door in 2022.

3-The little SUV is yet to be released in India where it is expected to debut in a commercial-oriented configuration, unlike the comparatively luxurious model on sale elsewhere

4-Jimny will be offered in a super-cool looking five-door version, which means more space and practicality; perfect for the Indian market.

5- The five-door car will be co-developed by Suzuki and Toyota and will make use of the Raize compact SUV architecture.

6-The larger car will fill the shoes of the legendary Suzuki Gypsy and is expected to be powered by the same naturally-aspirated 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine found in other models of the Suzuki models in India

-Power will be sent to the rear wheels, with a selectable four-wheel-drive system on standby.

-Expect the five door version to make its debut in 2022, following the Indian debut of the three door version

- Will a replica of the Jimny be shared with Toyota ? Could be for certain export markets ?

Link

1- First and foremost, I thought who in their right mind would compare a Jimny to a Wrangler, given that we have another car(or something that rhymes with car) thats much more similar, until I reached the end of your post, and saw that it was by an American website.

3- And all of the analysis seems as if its done by a new intern, who's never set a foot in the jimny. I mean who in their right mind would call Jimny "luxurious". Its even more stripped down than a Thar.
And mark my words, if this car is not being capable of being 'White number-plated', it will sink like a stone. There is not a chance that this will be commercial only.

4- "super-cool looking" Wow. Didnt know 13 year olds could get a job in CarBuzz.

5-6- I actually doubt that the Jimny will be on a new platform. And can the Raize platform even take a 4x4? And as for the 1.5 Petrol, we all know that it would, since the Brezza also gets it.

This is an article written by a 13 year old, based on the render of a 5-door Jimny by an indian blog called "IndianAutosBlog", who's post they have very kindly included in their "article".

There's not a word here that's to be taken even remotely seriously, and wonder why are we citing articles from a country where, leave aside Jimny, even the brand Suzuki doesn't exist.

TL;DR trash worthless article written by someone who's not very knowledgeable per se.
turbo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 13:19   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Link
The 5 door Jimny shown in that picture will give a fright to Trax Toofan from Force Motors, at first. Then they will laugh it off once they realize it is a petrol van and lot smaller too.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 21:37   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
-The little SUV is yet to be released in India where it is expected to debut in a commercial-oriented configuration, unlike the comparatively luxurious model on sale elsewhere

- The five-door car will be co-developed by Suzuki and Toyota and will make use of the Raize compact SUV architecture.

Lots of doubts!

Commercial oriented? As in no rear seats? Or a panel Van version?

If there is a market for a more luxurious version of Jimny, it has to be India!!!
Who would buy a commercially oriented Jimny with a 1.5l petrol engine?
Maybe a LWB version, but in this current configuration the engine bay and front seats take up more room than the loading bay.

Co-developed with Toyota on Raize platform?
Looks interesting, maybe explains rumours of 5door Jimny for India may have a front wheel drive version.

Though I guess, the writer may have mixed up the Raize based Creta rival for the 5 door Jimny.

Power will be sent to the rear wheels

If they are going to base the 5 door Jimny on the Raize, then how come will it have a rear wheel drive version?
The Raize on the DNGA monocoque platform is primarily a front wheel drive car.
Ofcourse it has an AWD option, but it's primarily front driven.

The whole article looks like a hyper enthusiastic Jimny fan wanting it in the USA and getting hold of every tidbit about the 5 door version on Instagram.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 22:40   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post

And mark my words, if this car is not being capable of being 'White number-plated', it will sink like a stone. There is not a chance that this will be commercial only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The 5 door Jimny shown in that picture will give a fright to Trax Toofan from Force Motors, at first. Then they will laugh it off once they realize it is a petrol van and lot smaller too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Lots of doubts!

Commercial oriented? As in no rear seats? Or a panel Van version?

If there is a market for a more luxurious version of Jimny, it has to be India!!!
Who would buy a commercially oriented Jimny with a 1.5l petrol engine?
Maybe a LWB version, but in this current configuration the engine bay and front seats take up more room than the loading bay.
On the other hand, I have a view that Maruti should be targetting the commercial segment only. The lifestyle "private" vehicle space is still very small for the Jimny to be really feasible as such. And maruti would want to make money rather than position this as a halo product(we all know the strength of the badge here).

A commercial Jimny will be a really good rival to the likes of the Bolero, TUV300/+ and this is a space where there's potential for good profits and volumes both. Maruti has not been doing well in the commercial sector till now and they might want to make a mark there. It's worth taking the risk I reckon.

Quote:

4- "super-cool looking" Wow. Didnt know 13 year olds could get a job at CarBuzz

This is an article written by a 13 year old, based on the render of a 5-door Jimny by an indian blog called "IndianAutosBlog", who's post they have very kindly included in their "article".

Sir, I'd kindly ask you to not pass such comments in the future. Knowledge has nothing to do with age and we can see so many examples just on the forum in the form of young, although very knowledgeable BHPians
sodapop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 06:02   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
1- First and foremost, I thought who in their right mind would compare a Jimny to a Wrangler, given that we have another car(or something that rhymes with car) thats much more similar, until I reached the end of your post, and saw that it was by an American website.
Well, the renders of the 5 door from all over the world suggest that the car might give Jeep Wrangler vibes and so did he! What's wrong with that?

Quote:
3- And all of the analysis seems as if its done by a new intern, who's never set a foot in the jimny. I mean who in their right mind would call Jimny "luxurious". Its even more stripped down than a Thar.
I think you need to have a careful look at the original post! I have quoted the original post here-
Quote:
The little SUV is yet to be released in India where it is expected to debut in a commercial-oriented configuration, unlike the comparatively luxurious model on sale elsewhere
and it clearly mentions that the article writer is clearly just comparing the car with the stripped down version India is expected to get!

Quote:
4- "super-cool looking" Wow. Didnt know 13 year olds could get a job in CarBuzz.
Kindly please be a careful reader before you say such things about someone!
Yes, the Americans have always been very over-enthusiastic about the little Jimny, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that as even a lot of our fellow BHPians and journalists have been way too over-enthusiastic about the likes of the Mahindra Thar or the Tata Harrier!

Quote:
5-6- I actually doubt that the Jimny will be on a new platform. And can the Raize platform even take a 4x4?
Why shouldn't the Jimny get a new platform?
I mean the 3 door version is a '3 star rated' Heartect-based product and we need a safer version but the Brezza's Global-C platform is a little too old (nearly 7 years!)
Also, the Raize already gets an AWD version and not to forget that Suzuki did manage to fit a proper 4X4 in their rally-spec Brezza, so I don't think that the Raize should be a problem either!

Quote:
There's not a word here that's to be taken even remotely seriously, and wonder why are we citing articles from a country where, leave aside Jimny, even the brand Suzuki doesn't exist.

TL;DR trash worthless article written by someone who's not very knowledgeable per se.
Kindly refrain from such remarks in the future!
theAutomaniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 12:25   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
On the other hand, I have a view that Maruti should be targetting the commercial segment only.

A commercial Jimny will be a really good rival to the likes of the Bolero, TUV300/+ and this is a space where there's potential for good profits and volumes both.
I guess you meant the taxi, fleet, government sales market of the Bolero and TUV300.

I had meant commercial market as in Commercial Vehicle. Load carrying ones. The current Jimny as it is, is not practical as a load carrying vehicle.
Maybe a LWB version like our Gypsy and a diesel engines then it will start making sense.

About the Jimny taking Bolero, TUV300 market.
Ofcourse. A 5 door version with the 1.5l diesel engine.
Bolero and TUV300 market would be snatched overnight with such a vehicle.
Maybe not huge volumes spike like a monocoque crossover or more refined vehicle would get, but it would have sustained long term sales like the Eeco and Bolero has now.

But
The 1.5l diesel has to come back for that.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 12:45   #370
BHPian

AFAIK, the Raize is based on the FWD DNGA platform (AWD is optional).
What makes the Jimny/Gypsy special is that it's a compact 4x4 BoF vehicle with solid axles both front and back, an off-road enthusiast's dream.
Just leave the Jimny alone and launch the 3 door as is. Why do all the hard work of making another vehicle based on the DNGA platform and market it as the Jimny?
TaurusSHO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 18:10   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusSHO View Post
AFAIK, the Raize is based on the FWD DNGA platform (AWD is optional).
What makes the Jimny/Gypsy special is that it's a compact 4x4 BoF vehicle with solid axles both front and back, an off-road enthusiast's dream.
Just leave the Jimny alone and launch the 3 door as is. Why do all the hard work of making another vehicle based on the DNGA platform and market it as the Jimny?
True.

Daihatsu has worked real hard to design this vehicle from the ground up. Compared to other Toyota or Daihatsu vehicles, the Raize has a newly formulated monocoque design and front suspension (among other things).

It's designed for comfort, safety and handling. The Jimny on the other hand, is a hugely offroad capable vehicle with a body mounted on a seperate chassis. It's also blessed with with a solid axle up front, which, by the way makes it a bit uninspiring to take that corner at a 100kmph, but then the Jimny wasn't meant to do that.

Now, after spending a good amount of money in design, engineering and testing, it does not make sense to merge this crossover with something worlds apart like the Jimny.

About the number of doors Suzuki has in mind for the Jimny, that's something we will definately have to wait and see. If they feel 5 doors will be a better sales proposition, then they WILL lean in that direction.
Old 18th October 2020, 09:46   #372

Suzuki Jimny found testing in India for the first time

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-jimnyfront.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-tracks.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-sideofthecar.jpg

A video of the car being spotted up close and being chased was posted on the Youtube channel Kar DIY

RohitAK96 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 19:09   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohitAK96 View Post
Suzuki Jimny found testing in India for the first time
Finally! This one though, is a 3 door version. Could there be any chance that Maruti might launch the 3 door version here in order to get some pie from the potential market share which the Thar might capture until they develop the 5 door version?

Also, considering the fact that the Indian Army has still not been able to replace the aged Gypsy, could it be that Maruti might bring this here in order to get hold of some contracts from the Army?
theAutomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 19:33   #374
BHPian

The 3 door is not coming to India. It is for exports only. The 5 door is coming to India.
Carma2017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 20:02   #375
Senior - BHPian

After looking at the 2020 Thar, I had lost interest in Jimny but after reading about Thar's ride quality and dynamics, Jimny again has my interest
giri1.8 is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks