Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2020, 16:52   #241
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Only a Diesel in an SUV will do. I don't want to be revving the pants out of a petrol SUV with aerodynamics of a brick, which when revved will give me dismissal mileage + no fun at all.

Like Kartik Aryan Says to Sara Ali Khan in Love Aaj Kal 'Aana hai toh puri tarah aana ya toh aana hi mat'.

Maruti Diesel also please! 5 doors and Diesel, take my cheque right now!
Going by your description, you should have gotten the Brezza 5 doors and diesel.

The Jimny 1.5L engine + 5 speed gearbox and overall engineering is not for on road but off road.

A small diesel engine with turbo lag and weight plus the robustness of such a vehicle to go anywhere means there was a reason Suzuki stuck with K15 engine.

I wouldn't want a diesel or a 5 door Jimny. Give me the old school K15 NA engine with a slow shifting 4 speed AT for my daily commute as well as go anywhere requirement.
Vid6639 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 11:21   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Looks like you've never driven a Maruti Gypsy. The 1.3 MPFi was a beast.

Here's what he Jimny can do
Hey I have seen these videos before too, I mean, I have been following up on the Jimny quite a bit.

The point is, the petrol can do all of what you posted video links of, but for most of us, it will be our everyday car or maybe our only car, we will drive around for road trips in this, go to work in this, with that brick like aerodynamics, the 138 NM of torque at 4400 rpm, a lot of revving will be required on the normal highways while overtaking etc to get some meaningful speed out of it, leading to dismissal mileage. Look at the video below.

At 120-130, he was getting 11 liters per 100 kilometers on the MID. That is less than 10 per liter on the highway for a car which is matchbox sized.

At 100 kilometers/hr his rpm was 4000. I mean, I would never drive something like this for road trips. Look at the engine noise at 100-120.

Just for reference, my Swift D does 100 kmph at around 2300-2400 rpm, that is what I mean by having a diesel which will give it long legs and low end torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Going by your description, you should have gotten the Brezza 5 doors and diesel.
I like the Brezza, but Brezza is not Jimny like XUV300 is not Thar

Quote:
The Jimny 1.5L engine + 5 speed gearbox and overall engineering is not for on road but off road.

A small diesel engine with turbo lag and weight plus the robustness of such a vehicle to go anywhere means there was a reason Suzuki stuck with K15 engine.

I wouldn't want a diesel or a 5 door Jimny. Give me the old school K15 NA engine with a slow shifting 4 speed AT for my daily commute as well as go anywhere requirement.
Yes, but if they wanted only to launch an offroad vehicle, they would have done so with the 2 door one and made you lot happy, but the thing is, there are more of us wanting an everyday car than you lot wanting an offroad car

I would never buy a 2 door Jimny with a petrol and never with a 4 speed AT even in a Diesel. Just my opinion

Last edited by humyum : 25th April 2020 at 11:24.
Old 25th April 2020, 11:46   #243
BHPian

Quote:
The point is, the petrol can do all of what you posted video links of, but for most of us, it will be our everyday car or maybe our only car, we will drive around for road trips in this

At 100 kilometers/hr his rpm was 4000. I mean, I would never drive something like this for road trips. Look at the engine noise at 100-120.

Yes, but if they wanted only to launch an offroad vehicle, they would have done so with the 2 door one and made you lot happy, but the thing is, there are more of us wanting an everyday car than you lot wanting an offroad car

I would never buy a 2 door Jimny with a petrol and never with a 4 speed AT even in a Diesel. Just my opinion
The 2 door Jimny is the holy grail. A 4 door option may possibly dilute the offering in some unknown way (without going too much into the technicalities).

I disagree with your opinion, The Jimny has never been marketed or sold as a mile muncher, an aesthetic thing on wheels or something which renders dollops of comfort. It is a proper off road automobile and someone making a conscious decision to put their money into such a vehicle would use it as such. There are countless other vehicles which can eat up miles and also do the occasional traverse over dilapidated roads or winding hills. Buying a Jimny and expecting it to transform it into an aerodynamic beast is too much to ask for.

The Jimny will be bought and projected (through Nexa) as a lifestyle vehicle for anyone who can afford it. It doesn't fit into an everyday car role and disappointments for someone as garnered post the buy will solely be an onus of the bad decision made.
sandx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 12:51   #244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Just for reference, my Swift D does 100 kmph at around 2300-2400 rpm, that is what I mean by having a diesel which will give it long legs and low end torque.
The Jimny is not meant for road trips on highway. See the suspension in the video from Johnny. It's is S-O-F-T for off road use. If not the engine, the suspension with body roll and wallowy ride will tire you on a road trip.

Your swift does 100 kmph @ lower rpm cause it does not need to climb rocks and obstacles and go off road. If you give the Jimny tall gear ratios, it's as good as useless off road. The whole point is to have low end torque and short gearing to climb where no SWift can even imagine going.

Quote:
I like the Brezza, but Brezza is not Jimny like XUV300 is not Thar

This is why the Jimny is not for you

It's for those who want a recreational vehicle with off road capability. Or lifestyle vehicle in city. Not as a comfortable family car.

If the requirement would be to have a diesel engine, with taller gearing, stiffer suspension and better on road manners. That's not a Jimny then.

Why would any manufacturer sacrifice dynamics, steering, gearing and on road behaviour that too knowingly? Simple. Because the car is designed, engineered and developed for a purpose.

If you dilute the off road prowess then it is not a Jimny. The Gypsy was similar.

That's why I said if you want better dynamics, 5 doors and diesel, the Brezza was the choice cause then you also don't need 4WD.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th April 2020 at 17:49.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 16:02   #245
Senior - BHPian

50 years of the Suzuki Jimny

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...i-jimny-417018

source : Autocar India
Old 25th April 2020, 16:21   #246
Senior - BHPian

TUV300 could have been India's answer to Jimny. Mahindra really blew an opportunity. They could have made a 3-door TUV with proper 4-pot engine, proper AT and beefier tyres. Don't they follow international news how Jimny was making waves in global markets? With those old-school ruler straight lines, high-GC, sub-4 metre length, spare-wheel on the back, TUV is the closest to Jimny in looks than any other car in India is. Sure, it would have been a niche car but there would have been many takers for such cars. More so because of lower price tag it would have come at, being all domestic.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 17:33   #247
BANNED

Quote:

Which means that it is a short geared vehicle. Which in turn means that the gearing is oriented to torque in the low end more that the top end, which in turn means better off-road performance.
turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 19:00   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
TUV300 could have been India's answer to Jimny. Mahindra really blew an opportunity. They could have made a 3-door TUV with proper 4-pot engine, proper AT and beefier tyres.....
They had already blown away whatever opportunity they had, when they first launched it with an 80bhp 3 pot and refused to add 4X4 to the ready platform, just so as to save the Thar and Scorpio from being cannibalised.

Though I love 3 doors, a 3 door version of the TUV is a pipe dream, Mahindra will direct you towards the Thar.

But yes. They can plonk in the 2.2 from the TUV+, or even a detuned version of the on-development 2.0l diesel, plonk in the 4X4 system, upgrade it to crash test levels, and you would have a Jimny rival in no time.

But Mahindra won't do that. Partially, cause of the tax benefits the TUV would loose with a >1.5l engine and mostly to help the Thar, which would be more profitable.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 19:02   #249
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know that Maruti is seriously considering the Jimny for India. 5 door automatic with 4x4 AT would be fantastic. That should satiate my 4x4 desire without having to go big on size just for AT.

Quote:

The person probably switched off OD in the video you saw, there is a switch on the gear stick. With OD the Jimny auto does 100kph at 2900 RPM.

Sankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 19:45   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Will Maruti Suzuki offer both the 3 door and 5 door variants of the Jimny to the Indian market as both will be manufactured here?

Name:  12.PNG
Views: 2489
Size:  162.9 KB

Name:  13.PNG
Views: 2476
Size:  205.4 KB

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 23:10   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Will Maruti Suzuki offer both the 3 door and 5 door variants of the Jimny to the Indian market as both will be manufactured here?
They should launch both 3-door as well as 5-door. The more, the merrier. They should take a leaf out of koreans' books. Just as there is a Creta and Seltos for everyone, from 9.xx to 17.xx rupees ex-showroom. Students, singles, empty nesters, childless couple may look at 3-door and the rest at 5-door. Similarly, a proper AT from day one. They must broaden the range and consequent appeal.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 02:11   #252
BHPian

I don’t know, I’m not sure if they’ll launch the 3 door here. Hyundai exported the i20 coupe for years from India but never launched it here. Dealers won’t order it, so the company doesn’t bother launching it is my guess.

I’d love the see the 3 door here, personally. I’m falling in love with the Jimny, the 3 door in particular but I don’t see a lot of takers here. But if Mahindra can make a business case for a 3 door Thar, I’m sure Maruti can.
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 12:13   #253
Senior - BHPian

I guess there is hardly any market for a 5-door Jimny here. From what I know of it, it won't be a good long distance tourer (unless launched with a powerful diesel) or a comfortable people mover. I'd much rather buy an Ertiga for that! The Jimny pulls heart strings of enthusiasts, and they would prefer a 3-door for sure, to serve as a convenient city ride and those trail drives.
Old 26th April 2020, 16:38   #254
BHPian

I cannot help comparing the 5 door version to the Force Trax. It looks all utilitarian with that boxy 5 door design!

On the contrary, the 3 door version looks so masculine and would stand out in the ground. It’s probably what our ancestors felt when they first saw the Gypsy back in ‘86!
The worst part is that there is a major difference in the wheelbase of the 5 door and 3 door versions, so even an aftermarket conversion would make things out of proportion.
MS should stop thinking about making everything practical or family use, especially for a product that was never intended to. :(
dr.aviansh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 00:04   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
The 2 door Jimny is the holy grail. A 4 door option may possibly dilute the offering in some unknown way (without going too much into the technicalities).

I disagree with your opinion, The Jimny has never been marketed or sold as a mile muncher, an aesthetic thing on wheels or something which renders dollops of comfort. It is a proper off road automobile and someone making a conscious decision to put their money into such a vehicle would use it as such. There are countless other vehicles which can eat up miles and also do the occasional traverse over dilapidated roads or winding hills. Buying a Jimny and expecting it to transform it into an aerodynamic beast is too much to ask for.

The Jimny will be bought and projected (through Nexa) as a lifestyle vehicle for anyone who can afford it. It doesn't fit into an everyday car role and disappointments for someone as garnered post the buy will solely be an onus of the bad decision made.
Quote:
The Jimny is not meant for road trips on highway. See the suspension in the video from Johnny. It's is S-O-F-T for off road use. If not the engine, the suspension with body roll and wallowy ride will tire you on a road trip.

Your swift does 100 kmph @ lower rpm cause it does not need to climb rocks and obstacles and go off road. If you give the Jimny tall gear ratios, it's as good as useless off road. The whole point is to have low end torque and short gearing to climb where no SWift can even imagine going.

This is why the Jimny is not for you

It's for those who want a recreational vehicle with off road capability. Or lifestyle vehicle in city. Not as a comfortable family car.

If the requirement would be to have a diesel engine, with taller gearing, stiffer suspension and better on road manners. That's not a Jimny then.

Why would any manufacturer sacrifice dynamics, steering, gearing and on road behaviour that too knowingly? Simple. Because the car is designed, engineered and developed for a purpose.

If you dilute the off road prowess then it is not a Jimny. The Gypsy was similar.

That's why I said if you want better dynamics, 5 doors and diesel, the Brezza was the choice cause then you also don't need 4WD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Which means that it is a short geared vehicle. Which in turn means that the gearing is oriented to torque in the low end more that the top end, which in turn means better off-road performance.

Guys Guys, I can understand all of you as off-roading fans what you want. What as a Maruti fan (who wonders what will happen to him if he had to buy a Non-maruti car because of decades of Maruti's in our house) wants something like a Thar from a Maruti and a Diesel Jimny looks like a close contender for that.

Anyway, that is just my product requirement and from the looks of it, it will never be met. So
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks