Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2020, 17:00   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Is there any “Informed” speculation at all as to the pricing of this 5 door variant of the Jimny?
If built in India would it perhaps sit around the 10- 12 lakh mark in its top spec AT 4WD Avatar?
I will not comment further on the Jimny for India until test mules are spotted here.

All articles tread on speculations that have been discussed before!
Old 6th June 2020, 18:45   #287

I think the sales numbers will definitely be higher in India than Pakistan, then why doesn't Suzuki launch Jimny in India when they have already launched it in Pakistan.
This baffles me
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-screenshot-20200606-6.40.14-pm.png  

chheringpal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 19:14   #288
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chheringpal View Post
I think the sales numbers will definitely be higher in India than Pakistan, then why doesn't Suzuki launch Jimny in India when they have already launched it in Pakistan.
This baffles me
Deeply irritating indeed. Of course The 3 door Jimny will sell many more in India than in Pakistan. But the difference is that Suzuki Motors directly operates in Pakistan and tends to bring in the same offerings to Pakistan as it offers in Nepal, Burma/Myanmar, Afghanistan and the GCC region.
Suzuki serves India via Maruti which is run totally differently and its focus is absolutely clear.
If they would just kindly import a few even in CBU form or CKD form, I would pay the premium and buy one in the AT 4WD avatar for sure. I will probably replace my Dad’s Glanza with this! He will also have fun with it!
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 17:30   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny for India delayed.

Quote:
Suzuki will build the three-door Jimny in India initially for exports but, come 2021, production of a larger, 5-door model will commence. It’s the latter version that will go on sale in our market. The yet-to-be-revealed model holds promise for the practicality-oriented Indian buyer. However, thanks to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic that has resulted in huge production delays and decreased demand, it remains to be seen when the Jimny finally reaches Maruti Suzuki showrooms in India.
Link
Old 8th July 2020, 19:04   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Deeply irritating indeed. Of course The 3 door Jimny will sell many more in India than in Pakistan. But the difference is that Suzuki Motors directly operates in Pakistan and tends to bring in the same offerings to Pakistan as it offers in Nepal, Burma/Myanmar, Afghanistan and the GCC region.
Suzuki serves India via Maruti which is run totally differently and its focus is absolutely clear.
If they would just kindly import a few even in CBU form or CKD form, I would pay the premium and buy one in the AT 4WD avatar for sure. I will probably replace my Dad’s Glanza with this! He will also have fun with it!
I was once told that this is because the true middle class - the one which can afford these cars and not our own definition of middle class - is larger in Pakistan, and even Indonesia. We have a larger middle class by many definitions but when it comes to being able to afford stuff that is a few lakhs, that shrinks a lot. I remember the Economist once carrying an article that explains this. I am no expert, so will wait for corrections or clarifications.
lawdgawd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 13:11   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdgawd View Post
I was once told that this is because the true middle class - the one which can afford these cars and not our own definition of middle class - is larger in Pakistan, and even Indonesia.
Pakistan is a car market that sold 11000 units in February 2020 (pre-covid). In a good month that can be 15000, and the best selling car is a 660cc Alto. Kia has shown that it can sell that many Seltoses in a month in India. Average ticket cost of a vehicle sold in India has been creeping up over the years. It is no longer a market where 80% of the sales are A-segment hatchbacks. Infact, the Rs 10 lakh sub 4m SUV segment is one of the largest in the country now. Launching Jimny, in Pakistan is like launching the Vellfire in India, a straight import/halo model with no sunk cost.

Indonesia is a big auto market but it is 1/3rd the size and again the average selling price is not too different from India.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th August 2020 at 16:45. Reason: Typo
avishar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 13:59   #292
Senior - BHPian

If seen for all car makers, maybe they might like to sell global cars without investing in India ?
The tax for CBU could be a problem. Investing in their own plant to keep the prices in check could be a problem and hence not many global models. Just an assumption.
Old 24th July 2020, 10:07   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Jimny Update: (speculative?)

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-j.png

Link (Nexa: 11 lakh customers up!)
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 20:12   #294
BHPian

Finally some news on the Jimny!

MSIL has imported multiple CKD kits of the Jimny at Gateway Rail Freight's Inland Container Depot in Gurgaon at Garhi Harsaru. Shipments awaiting customs clearance. Could either be test mules or units for the launch/unveil.

Last edited by AamodB : 27th July 2020 at 20:14.
AamodB is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 21:43   #295
BHPian

Suzuki had to withdraw Jimny from Europe to meet portfolio average emmision norms. It only makes sense to launch it in India now to recover the investment made. Will be intersesting if they name this as Jimny or Gypsy.
vivekz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 22:25   #296
Senior - BHPian

There's a YWD Door Line Project happening at MSIL.
YWD is the project code for Jimny and I'm guessing that a Door line project in India most likely should be for a 5 door version for India.
Fingers crossed
kpzen is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 13:57   #297
BHPian

I don't think it will do well in India. It will cost around 15-20 lakhs and i cant imagine many takers for such a small vehicle at that price. Looks really cool though. Maybe a 5 door version, but then obviously the price will keep on climbing. If the upcoming THAR is a hit, then suzuki is better off launching the Jimny somewhere else
Old 28th July 2020, 16:14   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
Suzuki had to withdraw Jimny from Europe to meet portfolio average emmision norms. It only makes sense to launch it in India now to recover the investment made. Will be intersesting if they name this as Jimny or Gypsy.
Kicked out of Europe, now it reminds of them of us? No, thank you. Where were they all these years? This was launched around mid-2018 worldwide. Heck, even Pakistan has already gotten it. This is how Suzuki rewards their biggest market in the world? I don't wish them any luck with this one car. In any case, Thar will be here much earlier and will knock the wind out of their sales (sic).
pgsagar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 20:38   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
Finally some news on the Jimny!

MSIL has imported multiple CKD kits of the Jimny at Gateway Rail Freight's Inland Container Depot in Gurgaon at Garhi Harsaru. Shipments awaiting customs clearance. Could either be test mules or units for the launch/unveil.
We (my company) does quite a bit of import handling for Maruti, would you know the source country for these? We did do around 20 feu import from various points in Europe just before the lockdown and another 14 are now in transit. Wondering.... I will have a look see at the BL's though to see if I can glean any info.
Old 28th July 2020, 22:00   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
We (my company) does quite a bit of import handling for Maruti, would you know the source country for these?
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to look at the B/L at our (Gateway Rail's) Gurgaon ICD but from the information shared by my colleagues, the shipments came from Japan via ONE.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks