Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2020, 14:42   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

A LWB (Long Wheel Base) also improves the PROPORTIONS apart from liberating space for a usable/practical Boot.
Attached Images

Last edited by payeng : 12th February 2020 at 14:43.
payeng is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 15:29   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't understand why do people require a 5 door variant or a LWB variant, im pretty clear that i love the JIMNY as is & any variation from the original Japanese dimension will be a deal breaker for me (im sure most enthusiasts will agree).
karan561 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 15:34   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I don't understand why do people require a 5 door variant or a LWB variant, im pretty clear that i love the JIMNY as is & any variation from the original Japanese dimension will be a deal breaker for me (im sure most enthusiasts will agree).
True that. An SUV like Jimny with a small footprint will be anyday better than many large SUVs on sale in market. The Jimny should stay the way it is. Any plans to lengthen it means overhangs will increase and so will the wheelbase. It should be small car type SUV, a go anywhere car.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 15:38   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guess Maruti wants to widen the appeal of the Jimny. They want to bring in a product which is accepted by all. I'm sure all enthusiasts love the Jimny Sierra in the current form and they won't like any deviation from the original form. Clearly one size fits all concept won't work here.

What Maruti can do is have two body options for India:

Original 3 door form for enthusiasts

LWB/5 door for people who also need practicality out of it. This version can also cater to Army requirements, and thus completely eliminate the need of old Gypsy(no need to keep producing two separate models/platforms).

They may also put as many drivetrain option as they want, like 1.2L 2WD, 1.5L 2WD and 1.5L 4WD, thus widening its appeal.

Keeping original and LWB version in simultaneous production shouldn't be too expensive as a lot of parts will be shared between the two.

Whatever they do, one variant should definitely be the 1.5L 4WD in original 3 door form. Others, we don't care about.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 16:47   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Because both are as similar as CHALK and CHEESE.

Because the Brezza can't play the MOUNTAIN GOAT.

Beacause the Breazza is a Family Car, and the Jimny isn't.

Rather than 5 Doors, if Suzuki can develop/launch a LWB (Long Wheel Base version that keeps the overall lenght to <4000 mm) which'll free some usable boot space without folding down the rear seats; it'll be a very interesting proposition.

I understand they are two different cars, point is why would Maruti invest in bringing new platform and extend it to accommodate 5 doors for a car which will not be bought by majority of buyers.

What next remove 4X4. Will it be Jimny then?

I will be more than happy, if they can launch it at least in its current avatar.

Anyways discussion has no meaning, unless we hear something from Maruti officials on the launch.
shashant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 12:53   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Stock size is a prefect small car. Please don't change it for the mass market.

The market for the existing car is niche so just get it as CBU and test the waters. Use the 2500 car import limit that is there. What is stopping them from getting the car against 100% advance.

If the process to import cars is easy and straight forward, I would have imported it myself. Based on autocar India news article, Jimny sales in Europe will be stopped due to revised emission norms. This maybe a small ray of hope. We get to be the dumping ground for those lost sales

Last edited by indian21r : 13th February 2020 at 12:54.
indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 14:15   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Boot of the Current Jimny is Non-Existant with 4 Passengers.

In its current (Kei Car Category) form the Jimny will most probably be the SECOND Car for Indians.

A Usable Boot (LWB Version) with 4 Passengers will make the Jimny little bit more practical for someone (like myself) who won't own mutiple vehicles at a time.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 14:59   #173
Senior - BHPian

Despite being in love with the Jimny (old version) since the time I first tried it over a decade back in Ireland, and then eagerly waiting for this to get launched here, I think I will PASS on this product.

The ONLY REASON - https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/suzuki/jimny/33370
Old 13th February 2020, 15:07   #174
BHPian

If I need a <4m, 5-door, body-on-frame, 2WD SUV, I would buy a Bolero or TUV300. The desireability and USP of Jimny is its current form. There is no other car like it in the Indian market. Jimny will always be a niche car. If Mahindra, Isuzu & Force Motors can offer lifestyle cars (Thar, V-Cross & Gurkha respectively), then Maruti should grow some ....., and just offer it. Due to its market presence, I think Maruti will have much more success than those three manufacturers. But for Maruti, I guess success means 5000+ cars per month. I wish some other manufacturer had Jimny in their international portfolio instead of Suzuki.
Comrade is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 10:58   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Jimny India-launch will finally happen in November 2020.

@Leoshashi
Quote:
Could it come as a CBU, taking advantage of the 2500 units to gauge market response?

Likely to be the 3 door Jimny Sierra as displayed at the Auto Expo.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki Jimny not as a NEXA product as it was initially reported, but as a regular Maruti Suzuki ARENA model.
Maruti Suzuki dealership networks have received an official notification on the same.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th February 2020 at 11:05.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 11:02   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Keeping my fingers crossed. If it's true, Maruti should be bringing the Jimny as sold elsewhere - 3 door with 1.5 engine. (The way it should be launched). I doubt there is enough time to do a redesign with longer wheelbase and 5 doors.
Old 20th February 2020, 11:02   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
What Maruti can do is have two body options for India:

Highly doubt that Maruti will do any such thing to cater for the neglected enthusiast community within their target demographic. They are much more interested in having a one size fits all product, and what better way than to project it as a family car, which can take the family places, rather than the sweet two door thingy that it is now.
Old 20th February 2020, 11:45   #178
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
If this news is correct, the chance is that it will be imported and will cost around 18L. The product will bomb like the Kizashi, and the Maruti officials will declare again that India is not matured to have such a product.

Better to launch it as an India-made car, and price around 8-10L. I can assure Maruti that there will a monthly sale of 5K units.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 12:06   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

The 3 door will not be a CBU, that's for sure. My guess is it will come as a CKD with some components locally built. Just like the Gypsy. For those of you who don't know, the Gypsy even after so many years used many body panels which were imported from Japan. The hood, firewall, doors etc are still imported, and thus cost a bomb. I expect the Jimny to follow similar line, at the very least.

Maruti is modifying its existing assembly lines for Jimny and while I'm not sure about the dates of commencement of production, most likely from April 2020, exports will start soon for 3 door model.

Why I had said earlier about multiple body styles coming our way, was because if Maruti manufactures 3 door for exports, it will be offered for sure even if it's a limited scope variant, just like the Baleno RS or the Ciaz S with Black interiors. All such models are basically spin offs from export specific spares.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 12:53   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it will be well worth it to just buy this car on launch.

Because a year down the line they will pull the plug on this baby like they have done on the Kizashi and the Baleno RS.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks