Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2022, 20:12   #991
BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
It’s your fault due to an over active imagination.
Seriously!?
My bad

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-screenshot_20220817200741_dolphin.jpg

Last edited by Emvi : 17th August 2022 at 20:15. Reason: Attached screenshot resized
Emvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 20:29   #992
Team-BHP Support

Jimny and Thar captured in the same frame -

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-autodose_indiaphoto2022_08_17_20_26.jpg
Source

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-cyrusdhabharphoto2022_08_17_20_26.jpg
Source

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th August 2022 at 20:31.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 21:46   #993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
But Jimny is a small car,
Compact, yes. But the Thar isnt great in terms of space, IMO. Will help get better info only if there is a launch. (Coming from comparing a Gypsy and the jeeps)
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 02:29   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Jimny and Thar captured in the same frame -

Attachment 2347613
Source

Attachment 2347614
Source
After watching this image, I got to say, or the Jimny isn't so small, or the thar isn't so big

I can see the arches of the thar make the room for driver and passenger, smaller than you can think, but makes the car "look" bigger

It makes me remember the day I visited a dealership where there was a Jimny, and a 5 door Jeep Wrangler

I can say without a doubt, you got more room for you to move on the seat in the Jimny than Jeep, maybe With the thar is the same
wacso is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 07:55   #995
BHPian

The Thar is 3,985 mm L x 1,820-1,855 mm W x 1,844-1,896 mm.

The 3 door Suzuki Jimny is 3645mm long, 1645mm wide and 1725mm tall.

If you define those as almost the same, then you are good.

To me it appeared that the vehicles were intentionally positioned for photography to create the same size illusion in the first two pics, but the 3rd pic gives away the reality.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 18th August 2022 at 07:59.
ajayc123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 08:23   #996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Jimny 5-door version confirmation and launch timeline?

Attachment 2347262
Here is his review of the 3 door Jimny:

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-2.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-1.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-3.jpg

Quote:
Turns out there is but the new generation Jimny has long been one of the mythical car launches that somehow does not happen finally.
Quote:
Thing is, it might happen soon but after being shown at the last Auto Expo and taking so long to come, we took matters into our own hands or rather one person who imported an example into India.
Quote:
In the flesh, it looks fantastic and not just because of this loud shade but also the proper old-school charm and the upright stance. It is just cool and I hope the five-door version carries that same message across design-wise.
Quote:
Some design bits are recognizable from the Gypsy with the rugged grille design and round headlamps while the massive wheel arches are also big in the traditional SUV sense. This is no usual compact SUV stuff. The underpinnings are different too and that is the key to Jimny's appeal. This is no Heartect but a proper ladder frame chassis and a 3-link rigid axle suspension along with the AllGrip Pro 4WD (not to be confused with AllGRIP AWD on the Grand Vitara).
It is the proper successor to the Gypsy which served as a compact yet fun off-roader but unlike that old Gypsy, the new Jimny also comes with modern luxuries.

Quote:
In India, the Jimny will sell in huge numbers going by how much attention this car draws and off-road ability along with the coolness that this SUV has is enough for it to be a mainstream success. Let us hope there isn't much waiting to do anymore.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 11:17   #997
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Compact, yes. But the Thar isnt great in terms of space, IMO.
I agree. Japanese are very good at optimizing internal space given the same or small exterior dimensions. Case in point is when you compare the Scorpio Classic with the earlier Innova, the Scorpio is much bigger on the outside but the Innova has much more space on the inside.

I am almost certain that despite being a tad smaller than the Thar, the Jimny will have more space on the inside.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th August 2022 at 21:36. Reason: Typo
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 13:17   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
The Thar is 3,985 mm L x 1,820-1,855 mm W x 1,844-1,896 mm.

The 3 door Suzuki Jimny is 3645mm long, 1645mm wide and 1725mm tall.

If you define those as almost the same, then you are good.

To me it appeared that the vehicles were intentionally positioned for photography to create the same size illusion in the first two pics, but the 3rd pic gives away the reality.
How much shorter will the Thar be, if we remove that front bumper?

How much narrower will the Thar be if we remove those wheel arches?

As I said before, in a car like 5 door Jeep wrangler, you’ve got less room for you when you are sit on the car seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I agree. Japanese are very good at optimizing internal space given the same or small exterior dimensions. Case in point is when you compare the Scorpio Classic with the earlier Innova, the Scorpio is much bigger on the outside but the Innova has much more space on the inside.

I am almost certain that despite being a tad smaller than the Thar, the Jimney will have more space on the inside.
I agree with you. I was surprised how such a small car can have such space, and how a car so big (5 door wrangler), can have such a bad interior space.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd August 2022 at 08:34. Reason: Minor editing to fix capitalisation, some language fix etc.
wacso is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 15:58   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacso View Post
How much shorter Will be the thar, if we remove that front bumper?

How narrower Will be the thar if we remove those wheel arches?

As i said before, in a car like 5 door Jeep wrangler, you got less room for you when you are sit on the car seat
You have an interesting point regarding the bumper and arches. It will get closer to the said dimensions of the 3 door Jimny. But since we are likely to get the 5 door Jimny, it might be more useful to look at the dimensions of 5 door Jimny.
Quote:
We had reported about a leaked specifications sheet of vehicle a while ago that claimed that the 5-door Jimny would be 3,850mm in length, 1,645mm in width and 1,730mm in height. It will get a wheelbase of 2,550mm which is 300mm more than the standard 3-door variant of the vehicle.
Link
Old 18th August 2022, 16:09   #1000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How narrower Will be the thar if we remove those wheel arches?
What would be the advantages of removing the wheel arches?

The arches are aligned with the wheels, so removing the arches will not reduce the overall width much. Also drag will increase quite a bit due to the exposed wheels, which will then protrude outside. Not to mention the amount of muck that will be thrown up by the wheels on to the body - may be even at the front windows.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd August 2022 at 08:33. Reason: Very minor edits (upper case and spacing).
Old 18th August 2022, 17:57   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
what would be the advantages of removing the wheel arches ?

The arches are aligned with the wheels, so removing the arches will not reduce the overall width much. Also drag will increase quite a bit due to the exposed wheels, which will then protrude outside. Not to mention the amount of muck that will be thrown up by the wheels on to the body - may be even at the front windows.

Could be, but I will try to explain you my point:

The wheel arches are also a waste of space in the air that could be filled with more room for the passengers, or maybe the engine.

Imagine this: now we design a thar, without arches, and make the axles narrower, aligned with the body.

How much narrower Will that thar be?
Not far away from Jimny.

On the other hand, imagine now we design another Thar, also without arches, but in this case, we stretch the body of the car, to cover the wheels.

How much room for passengers have we have gained? How much more room in the engine bay have we got?
That will sure be a clearly bigger car.

That's what I'm trying to explain, and that's why I compare it. On paper, it's bigger, sure, but in reality, it's not much bigger. The Jimny on the other hand, it's more adjusted at his size

That's my thoughts.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd August 2022 at 08:44. Reason: Editing for punctuation, spellings, formatting, uppercase text etc.
Old 19th August 2022, 11:47   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Spotted somewhere in Bombay
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-299956945_10159928517724709_5785093114962008619_n.jpg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-300049705_10159928517704709_6106479658818327484_n.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 11:56   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Could be, but I will try to explain you my point:

The wheel arches are also a waste of space in the air that could be filled with more room for the passengers, or maybe the engine.

Imagine this: now we design a thar, without arches, and make the axles narrower, aligned with the body.

How much narrower Will that thar be?
Not far away from Jimny.
If I look carefully at the pictures of Jimny, I can also see that it has wheel arches and footsteps, that don't look much smaller than those of Thar. I am not an expert, but tempted to think there may be a design reason to keep such arches in such vehicles.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd August 2022 at 08:44. Reason: Aligning quoted text to edited version and also trimming quote a bit.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 20:35   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
If I look carefully at the pictures of Jimny, I can also see that it has wheel arches and footsteps, that don't look much smaller than those of Thar. I am not an expert, but tempted to think there may be a design reason to keep such arches in such vehicles.
It's pretty simple, in the Thar, they are a design reference, as said before, it is a lifestyle vehicle, and "It looks good". In the Jimny its because Suzuki uses the body of the original "kei car" Jimny, to make it more stable, more wide, to make it safer, because instead of the 3 cyl turbo With 64hp, this one got 102hp, and with one body, they sell two variants of the car.

Do not forget, the original Suzuki Jimny, is this:

3cyl turbo, 660cc With 64hp, limited in size by the japanese laws.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-2019suzukijimnyofficialimage.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-suzukijimnyjapon9.jpg

And here you can compare it to the international model with the Big engine and the "wide-body".

Name:  suzukikimny2019oficialdesvelado201847547_4.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  EfOnoeMXYAAWNXh.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  84.4 KB

From one to the other there are 9cm (4,5 each side) of extra wide wheel track

I don't know the exact size of the Thar, but looking at the front (the rear not so much really) where half wheel arch is painted, and half not, I think. If we remove the wheel arch completely, and make a narrow wheel track, a Thar will be, if not equal, smaller than Jimny.

Those are my thoughts.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd August 2022 at 08:39. Reason: Editing for punctuation, spellings, formatting, uppercase text etc.
wacso is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 07:09   #1005
BHPian

There's also some buzz about the 7 seater Jimny in future?
Quote:
The production of the five-door Jimny would start around March or April 2023 according to the report. The brand is planning to manufacture around 75,000 units of the Jimny for India in its initial years while the seven-seater could be priced aggressively upon its launch in the future.
Link

Last edited by libranof1987 : 23rd August 2022 at 15:39. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks