Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2020, 22:28   #121
BHPian

Re: The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled

The KIA Sonet is reportedly all set for August/September launch. Interestingly, a diesel automatic is also on the cards.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-delays-417333
Col Mehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 23:24   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
The KIA Sonet is reportedly all set for August/September launch. Interestingly, a diesel automatic is also on the cards.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-delays-417333
Yes indeed, the Sonet is set to launch in the pre-festive season months. However, it would be quite interesting to see how diesel's they sell with a turbo-petrol being an option in the lineup.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 21:53   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Yes indeed, the Sonet is set to launch in the pre-festive season months. However, it would be quite interesting to see how diesel's they sell with a turbo-petrol being an option in the lineup.
I just hope that the launch they launch the Diesel automatic in a proper top-end variant & not one lower; as is the case with Hyundai Venue. One really feels short changed for spending all the way & missing out on some of the features.
Kia / Hyundai should offer these auto variants in proper top-end variants & leave the option to the customers to take their pick.
Hope atleast Kia listens to this.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 10:51   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Sonet with an AT diesel would be a killer product. With this, death bells are ringing loud and clear for the likes of Brezza.

There were reports earlier on it being an IMT. So we're not sure yet if there would be a torque converter.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th May 2020 at 10:59. Reason: addendum
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 11:16   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
There were reports earlier on it being an IMT. So we're not sure yet if there would be a torque converter.
The IMT Will come only for the 1.2 L Petrol Engine. I dont think the IMT is for the Diesel option.
Old 26th May 2020, 11:31   #126
Senior - BHPian

If they bring in a diesel with Torque Converter, this would sound death knell of all automatics south of Creta/Seltos. I hope they don't bring in an AMT, though. I never expected Hyundai to bring this jugad technology called AMT to India but they did with Santro. They don't want to live any segment out. Granted that their AMT is better than competition but there is only so much you can do with an AMT. A teambhpian somewhere commented that he found new Brezza's 4-speed TC much better than even Hyundai's improved AMT. About time, manufacturers buried this AMT thing.

Also, since Hyundai calls shots at Kia, would they allow Sonet to come with a diesel TC when they have no such thing with their own Venue?
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 12:00   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
The IMT Will come only for the 1.2 L Petrol Engine. I dont think the IMT is for the Diesel option.
Yes it's for the petrol. Just to clarify, I was referring to IMT being offered in place for DCT.

By the way, aren't there IMT set up for Diesel cars?

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 26th May 2020 at 12:05.
Old 12th June 2020, 15:10   #128
Senior - BHPian

Kia confirms launch plans of Kia Sonet. An interview with Manohar Bhat, Sales & Marketing Head of Kia. Clutchless Intelligent Manual transmission (IMT) is explained too.

The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled-screenshot_20200612150553_youtube.jpg

Source : Express Drives

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 12th June 2020 at 15:12.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 18:51   #129
BANNED

So it is a clutch pedal-less manual transmission and is not clutch-less transmission. It is similar to AMTs, only difference is gear selection, it is done by the driver instead of AMT's computer, and clutch engage/disengage is done by either electro-pneumatic or electro-hydraulic actuators. In other words we can call it a manual transmission with automatic clutch.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 20:54   #130

Hope the DCT will still be offered on Sonet?
Old 13th June 2020, 13:06   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
So it is a clutch pedal-less manual transmission and is not clutch-less transmission. It is similar to AMTs, only difference is gear selection, it is done by the driver instead of AMT's computer, and clutch engage/disengage is done by either electro-pneumatic or electro-hydraulic actuators. In other words we can call it a manual transmission with automatic clutch.
Guess it'll have the basic shift pattern laid out and marked on gearshift lever and only difference with a MT is the absence of clutch pedal from driving point of view. It would surely take some time to get a hang of it since it's neither like a conventional MT, AMT or AT.

Test drives would be interesting. I wonder if there would be few who will find it quite complex to change driving style and retune their muscle memory to the new set up. Hope it doesn't make them to say no to the car during test drive itself. Surely it's a matter of time before one gets adapted to it. May be Kia will have to give long test drives to tide over this potential mental block in the minds of prospective customers and make one to get accustomed to during the process.

I am really looking forward to it's launch and a test drive with it.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 13th June 2020 at 13:09.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 15:58   #132
BHPian

The KIA IMT Transmission reminds me of the old Mercedes A 160 Semi-Automatic.
Here's a video of one that I found on YouTube. The car has a standard manual-type gear lever but no clutch pedal. The video shows the car being driven around and gears being operated:
TejasKinger is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 13:55   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Clutchless Intelligent Manual transmission (IMT) is explained too.
So we are getting what is essentially the Saab "Sensonic" technology.

Here is a news article from 1998:
https://www.autonews.com/article/199...c-transmission

Excerpt: ...Saab will keep it on the shelf until customers are ready for it...

...We were ahead of our time,' Axon said. 'The system was launched in 1993 after six years of development and 1.6 million kilometers of road testing, but being an automotive pioneer is always difficult, and the market was not ready...

...Saab considered launching Sensonic with paddle controls, but product planners chose a floor shift 'because paddles would have been an even bigger shock to customers'...

I remember James May driving a Saab Sensonic and trying to park it resulting in distressful events. I am unable to find any video for it at this moment.

On a separate note, I have driven this thing as one of my friends had one, I found the experience a bit different in that my left leg would automatically reach to depress the clutch and then realize there is none but my hand would grab a gear lever and i would get confused . I gave up after a while.

Last edited by N33raj : 14th June 2020 at 13:56. Reason: Forgot to fix quote tags
N33raj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 14:54   #134
BHPian

I am eagerly waiting for this 'IMT' gearbox as it will be just perfect for families with two sets of people.
Take my family, for instance. My dad loves automatics (we have a Dzire AMT) mainly because of the absence of a clutch pedal and me and my brother being young enthusiasts love stick shift! Hyundai-Kia's clutchless MT can give you the joy of shifting gears while your left leg can still rest!
As some BHPians pointed out, it will surely take some time to get use to this gearbox as it's neither a conventional AT nor a proper manual transmission.
Few months back, a friend of mine told me that the IMT is also going to come with the new i20 which is a great news.
Nazaar25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 19:11   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
Few months back, a friend of mine told me that the IMT is also going to come with the new i20 which is a great news.
Thats right. A close fried of mine working at Hyundai plant has confirmed the same. Next gen i20 is getting IMT and DCT, also the Venue. My friend got a chance to drive the new i20 as well at the time of suspension tuning(this was petrol variant, but he doesn’t remember if it was 1.2NA or 1.0 GDI). They were benchmarking the Baleno when tuning the suspension for next gen i20. So by his words, a lot of models across Kia/Hyundai is set to receive this new transmission. He also said that the transmission had a noticeable lag in initial gears, but then I hope they would have done enough testing and perfected it by now.
Xaos636 is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks