Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 12:12   #556
BHPian

Re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Happy to see SAFARI is back. But, I don't feel that this version can be lovingly called "the TRUCK". That Bold, Rugged look will be surely missed. Only our ORVM will say what it feels like having it in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
If they really wanted to bring back the Safari , they could have gone to Land Rover and borrowed the new Defender , a SUV that looks like a modern Safari. Made it a bit less luxuries and priced it at 25 - 30 lacs as a Halo product.
Other option is to bring back the Safari Storme, with redesigned interiors and a refined engine. There was never a question on how it looks in the outside.

Last edited by saisree : 7th January 2021 at 12:17.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:25   #557
rpm
BHPian

Slightly , but this reminds me of the Last of Us part 2, which split the fanbase like the new Safari has. The game had excellent graphics and art, but it didn't manage to tug at the heartstrings of as many people as the first one did because the core of what made the first game the Last of Us, was its story and characters, and the part II to it was a frustrating, unenjoyable story to a sizable audience. It wasn't a sales dud either, but the franchise as a whole wasn't the same anymore.

Through the H7X's, Cassini's, Buzzard's, Gravitas' and finally the Safari, it almost feels like a case of lost identity. It wasn't built up to be the 'new Safari' and when it came out, Safari it was not. When I think of Safari, something like a Harrier Plus isn't the image that comes to my mind, not by a long shot. The fact that quite a few of us have to think hard to rationalize the 'new Safari' to ourselves and others isn't very reassuring either. The business perspective is just what it sounds like: business, doesn't make me appreciate the product any more.

First glance at the product leads me to a state of denial. Mind you, it isn't that the product is bad, what with its capable D8 derived platform and already respected gearbox+engine combo, it just doesn't look the part. It isn't unique and butch like the Safari was, it is just an elongated version of an already existing product, the Harrier, which although is a great product in and of itself, doesn't scream Safari.

The eerie similarity is ticking me off, and it's not as if Tata can't design a modern looking Safari which still pays homage to its forefathers; just one look at the Sierra concept and I was completely spellbound by what Tata can do. I don't mind the monocoque (even the mighty Defender has adopted one) or the absence of 4×4, but it atleast deserved to retain its own unique Safari look, even if the underpinnings were shared. A 4×4 or AWD could have been added on the go if there was a sizable interest in the product.

As it stands, I'm not liking how the Safari moniker only warranted a buttlift with an additional row of seats and a slight increase in length over the harrier. It should have had a new face as well.

It's frustrating because Tata makes good products and I want them to succeed, but some of their decisions are just a hard pill to swallow I do wish the product does well because it's not an incompetent one at all, but the Safari nameplate being bestowed on it at the very last moment seems like a cheap shot typical of big businesses.

Last edited by rpm : 7th January 2021 at 12:52.
rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 12:26   #558
BHPian

The comments on this thread are hilarious! How does it matter if it gets it eyeballs?
You say you're "offended" and "insulted" that Tata's reviving the Safari moniker knowing very well that no one would be actually ready to let their money talk and actually plonk 30 big ones on a 4x4 Safari.

Look at the Hexa's sales - Wasn't it objectively better than the Innova? How many Hexas did Tata sell every month on average? How many people are buying the Figo twins from Ford or the Tata's safe, spacious and VFM Tigor vis-a-vis the tin cans from Maruti? Didn't India welcome a Chinese car that has nothing of substance to offer but a panoramic sunroof and a Tesla-esque screen?

Let's just get one thing out of the way - This market doesn't reward enthusiast focused cars. Why should they work hard, invest a ton more dough on a Safari that won't sell? Placating keyboard warriors isn't a good reason to throw money into a pit.

It makes all the marketing sense in the world to call this the Safari. They'd be inane to call it anything else. I welcome it. For me, the Safari needs to look handsome, ride well, be well built and not break the bank. This checks all those boxes and more. I hope Tata arms it with some bells and whistles to make it compelling for people who need to be wooed. Welcome back, Safari!

Last edited by DeKay : 7th January 2021 at 12:28.
DeKay is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 12:33   #559
BHPian

When I filled in the team bhp registration form , if I recollect correctly,
I mentioned Safari as the vehicle that pulls my heart strings.

While that might have slightly changed with other cars joining the club, it still has a special place. Even when I bought my Zest, I test drove the Safari Storme and it was super easy to drive. My whole family loved it.

I quite like how the Gravitas looks (or its personality) and I think it would make a great Safari.

The only concern/complain, if anyone from Tata is reading, is that - Why do these launches seem so Haphazard? Why can't Tata Marketing/Branding get their act sorted?

The product design team is doing wonders, it's time you got on board.

Certain things that Tata need to ensure, according to me
1. It needs to have a very positive differentiator from the Harrier (I Assume the exteriors have been frozen, if only ... )
2. Run an aggressive ad campaign making all Safari fans super nostalgic. A couple of videos won't do. Churn social media.
3. Ensure Nil or very few niggles are present on launch. Harrier would have helped iron out most, if not all. if the launch is not followed by horror stories, they should do well.

- Slick
Slick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 12:55   #560
Senior - BHPian

Love it or Hate it, the Safari name plate is already doing what Tata wanted - it is making people take notice. Just look at this thread, the last 6-7 pages are all about the Safari name plate - no new spy pictures, no new information at all - just the name.

This is what brand Safari can do, and Tata needs this attention the most to make a splash in the murky waters it is setting foot right now. Back then only the Scorpio was standing in the Safari's way. But now in the next one year almost all the big players will have a rival for the H7X, and to face this Tata needs the Safari now, more than ever !

#ReclaimTheSUVSpace
aravind.anand is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 12:59   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
The comments on this thread are hilarious! How does it matter if it gets it eyeballs?
You say you're "offended" and "insulted" that Tata's reviving the Safari moniker knowing very well that no one would be actually ready to let their money talk and actually plonk 30 big ones on a 4x4 Safari.

Look at the Hexa's sales - Wasn't it objectively better than the Innova? How many Hexas did Tata sell every month on average? How many people are buying the Figo twins from Ford or the Tata's safe, spacious and VFM Tigor vis-a-vis the tin cans from Maruti? Didn't India welcome a Chinese car that has nothing of substance to offer but a panoramic sunroof and a Tesla-esque screen?

Let's just get one thing out of the way - This market doesn't reward enthusiast focused cars. Why should they work hard, invest a ton more dough on a Safari that won't sell? Placating keyboard warriors isn't a good reason to throw money into a pit.

It makes all the marketing sense in the world to call this the Safari. They'd be inane to call it anything else. I welcome it. For me, the Safari needs to look handsome, ride well, be well built and not break the bank. This checks all those boxes and more. I hope Tata arms it with some bells and whistles to make it compelling for people who need to be wooed. Welcome back, Safari!
The biggest mistake that the companies could do is by assuming that the customer would be putting in any kind of money without getting comfortable with the value proposition.

90% or more buyers care about going one place to another in a) Most comfortable way possible b) Most efficient way possible c) Have a road presence and d) service support and peace of mind. After taking cognizance and balancing these out, the car would be bought.

It may then be the good old MS, Tata or for that matter the "Chinese" car. If the companies can get a good value prop in market, it will sell. Tata had started to figure it out with Harrier AT, hope Safari continues and they figure out a good ASS support. Otherwise it will be a Hexa.
Blackjack is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 13:46   #562
BHPian

Gravitas / Safari etc are all fine as long as the marketing campaign is aligned with product development. See for example how much of attention Scorpio and XUV next gens are grabbing without even being showcased. It would have helped if Tata Motors had laid down the high level roadmap in advance and not keep things for last minute. It helps build the aspiration aspect since Safari has a good brand recall.
Old 7th January 2021, 13:51   #563
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
How many would have actually ran to showroom with Cheque books dangling if it had a 4X4 on launch. My guess will be maybe 5-10% of the total bookings it will receive. Which in real life numbers would hardly be anything.

7 Seater with a competent engine, and with Harrier V2 already proven in the market, this is the best thing Tata could have done. We might actually get a near niggle free product from V1 itself, that is a befitting tribute to a legendary name.
Agreed. It is clear that the total market share of 4WD vehicles in mid size SUV segment below ₹ 30L in India is less than 5%. So 4WD is clearly not a sales enabler in India, as it never was, historically too. Period. Thar is probably an exception, but then it is a niche/purposeful off-reading vehicle and not a mainstream car.

Besides Hexa-Safari-edition BS6 will give that 4WD option soon in 2021. Let’s see how many of those sell in India.

Also, addition of features like electronic park brakes, All disc brakes, bigger alloys and possibly Connected Car tech(we have leaks of Altroz turbo getting it, so new Gravitas/Safari should hopefully get it too), is definitely a step up from Harrier. So with similar macho looks of Harrier, Safari name is justified I guess.
Napalm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 13:56   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Love it or Hate it, the Safari name plate is already doing what Tata wanted - it is making people take notice.
True. Only yesterday i tweeted about this. Checked the interest on the search term TATA SAFARI vs TOYOTA FORTUNER as both news were released on same day. Interest for Safari overtook Fortuner. Though it might not sustain this way for long but looks like brand SAFARI is getting the eyeballs for Tata already.

Regards
Dev
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-screen-shot-20210106-8.50.43-pm.png  

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-screen-shot-20210106-8.54.43-pm.png  

irdevanand is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 14:00   #565
BHPian

Doesnt surprise me one bit. Tata doesn’t seem to have any interest in developing a product and sticking with it.

Does anyone remember the bolt, how about zest ? Soon we can add Tiago, tigor and Harrier to the list. Instead of incrementally building a brand they are desperately looking for a jackpot which they will never get
Old 7th January 2021, 14:09   #566
BHPian

Like many of you out here, the TATA Safari has always been the car that has pulled my heart strings ever since I saw one when I was 5. I vividly remember the tail mounted spare wheel, it was the first thing I saw in a Safari.

Well, a lot of mixed opinions, which TATA would have definitely hoped for.

1. But, let's face it. The brand SAFARI has a pull more than the brand TATA. TATA knows this and is making use of this.

2. This is a brilliant decision in terms of marketing. But, purists will have a different say.

3. The Gravitas is all that the Safari needs in this age. It is refined, loaded with features, looks butch, rides and handles well, and most of all, a thoroughly modern vehicle, meeting the current standards.

4. It may not please the purists out there, but that's just them.

5. Finally, it's the Safari. The brand should just live on. TATA should not have killed this brand. Now, they have recreated it.

IMO, The Safari has just Reclaimed its Life.

Wishing the Safari a happy second innings. Long Live the Safari !!

Regards,
Vaishak Murugesan.
vaish9925 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 14:26   #567
Distinguished - BHPian

Safari did have a weight problem - that is solved, it had a power train problem - that is solved, Manual - automatic - all in now. Then they have to satisfy the GNCAP fans, that is also solved. The sunroof problem with old one having an overhead AC, guess that is now solved - panoramic sunroof as well. What else? Yes the baby seats make way for proper front facing seats as well - I see.

In the end, they fixed all Safari`s problem by simply losing Safari altogether - Top work Tata. Yes it will sell I think, it wont be a Safari though.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 14:32   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting branding strategy. And I am surprised that so many people feel that the new Gravitas with its Land Rover derived monocoque will not live up to the Safari name because it is not a 4WD.

In my opinion, the Safari looked great when it was first launched - but it was a classic example of style over substance. I found the car underpowered (even by the standards of its day), especially given how overweight it was. While the Harrier has had its share of niggles, it is a far superior product to the Safari, even when you benchmark it to the competition it faces. So a 7 seater Harrier being called a Safari probably does disservice to the Harrier 7 - but obviously there is an audience for the brand, and the name works better for an SUV than the Gravitas moniker would. I do hope it has fewer niggles than the Harrier did at launch.
Hayek is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 14:43   #569
BHPian

As a 2018 Safari Strome owner, I am happy with this development.

In my humble opinion, the 2021 Safari has only one shortcoming, the 4x4 hardware; otherwise is a rather contemporary product. I read somewhere that it's got no sunroof, that could be a bummer for a whole lot of buyers. As long as they provide a roadmap to the 4x4 option, things should be okay.

In 2018, I very briefly considered going for the 4x4, since "why buy this thing without a 4x4", and even though the cost delta wasn't too much, I chose not to. I have absolutely no plans to go off-roading or climb unpaved roads in the mountains/hills, so why lug the extra weight, maintenance, and cost.

Through its iconic advertisements, Safari was urging us to be free - from a boring, tied down, forced life - and Safari can be our tool to achieve that. A 4x4 hardware certainly adds cred in such a messaging, so it is important to have a 4x4 option. But, people like me will still buy the 4x2.

Am happy that now there's an upgrade option after I have run my elephant for 10 years.

Good move Tata !!!

cheers
lazy

Last edited by lazy : 7th January 2021 at 14:44.
lazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 15:44   #570
BHPian

Regardless of what you will call it, fact is that this will be priced higher than the Harrier and within striking distance of the Innova Crysta. That alone is the Safari alias Buzzard’s Achilles heel.

The Safari name deserves a better effort than an after thought naming for an almost existing product. BUT it won’t make or break the purchase decision. The purchase decision is about value and it is very hard to ignore a market phenomena like the Crysta with perceived bullet proof reliability and a user list that extends to movie stars , politicians , business men etc etc.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks