Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2019?
Maruti S-Presso 14 0.51%
Maruti WagonR 16 0.58%
Renault Triber 231 8.40%
Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 13 0.47%
Hyundai Venue 81 2.94%
Mahindra XUV300 73 2.65%
Nissan Kicks 8 0.29%
Kia Seltos 1499 54.49%
MG Hector 115 4.18%
Tata Harrier 431 15.67%
Honda Civic 57 2.07%
Hyundai Kona 130 4.73%
Toyota Camry 22 0.80%
BMW 3-Series 57 2.07%
Audi A6 4 0.15%
Voters: 2751. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2019, 08:06   #331
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2019. EDIT: It's the Kia Seltos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
I wonder who went home unhappy from this .

That's why team bhp ranks among the top when it comes to in your face interactions.
Nissan, VW and Skoda

They even awarded the Government
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 14:51   #332
BHPian

Hyundai Kona is my choice for the COTY 2019.

Though quite costly, it is a world class EV with a very low running cost.

The biggest plus is of course the fact that there are no emissions and being a resident of Delhi, I cannot begin to stress how important that is for our environment.

With the increase in adoption of EV's and more manufacturers getting into the frey, we can hope for the costs to come down in the years to come.

Hyundai has made a good start and this is a car which stands out for me in terms of all launches this year. It is, in the true sense, out of the ordinary.
Old 18th December 2019, 15:52   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[*]As has always been the case, we insist there will only be ONE Team-BHP Car of the Year. Why? Simply because we don't believe in handing out an award for the "DRL of the year" or "handbrake of the year" (as examples). Some award ceremonies have 25 awards to ensure there's one for each car manufacturer (aka advertiser) in India. We have no such inclination, and will only focus on the best, most important new car of 2019.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Winners at Autocar Awards 2020:

Car of the Year: Kia Seltos

Manufacturer of the Year: Kia

Performance Car of the Year: Porsche 911 (992-gen)
Looks like Autocar accepted the challenge.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th December 2019 at 19:29. Reason: You are requested to please quote relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
Senna4Ever is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 17:58   #334
GTB
BHPian

Quote:
Winners at Autocar Awards 2020:

Car of the Year: Kia Seltos

Bike of the Year: Suzuki Gixxer SF 250

Manufacturer of the Year: Kia

Luxury SUV of the Year: BMW X5

Performance Car of the Year: Porsche 911 (992-gen)

Motorsport Award: Jehan Daruvala

Safety Award: Ministry of Road Transport and Highways

Performance Bike of the Year: BMW S 1000 RR
I don't understand. Is every new launch or a facelift got an award? Or am I simply stupid as I am not aware of all these segments? If I may, I see it as Autocar sponsorship awards, No offence to anyone.

Nevertheless, I think Kia Seltos will be Car of the Year in every poll.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT :- Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 18th December 2019 at 19:31.
Old 19th December 2019, 09:35   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Nissan, VW and Skoda

They even awarded the Government
AC would have given,
  • Best front bumper and tail lights award to VW New Polo
  • Best long time no facelift award to Nissan Sunny
  • Best car sketches award to Skoda

Sorry if this offends anyone.
Old 19th December 2019, 12:22   #336
Senior - BHPian

With 11 days to go, the total number of votes cast has now equalled the 2011 COTY poll, which is the highest number of members voting on the COTY poll - 2626.

Lets hope that the trend continues, and that every year, more and more members participate.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 20:54   #337
Senior - BHPian

I knew that the KIA will be the most-voted car. I voted for the Kona yet. EV is what the world is shifting towards. The Hyundai hence makes a statement.
Old 19th December 2019, 21:07   #338
BHPian

I voted for the Harrier. Even though it wasn't able to succeed in making its mark in the market, it's the most revolutionary product I've seen in a long time from any Indian Manufacturer.
grimmreaper_gtr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 10:33   #339
BHPian

Voted Kia Seltos
I had the opportunity to drive a top of the line GTX+ Seltos after delivery from Guwahati to Dibrugarh a couple of months back for a colleague of mine.(Guwahati has the only dealer in Assam). I enjoyed it thoroughly throughout the journey. The awesome 1.4L turbocharged engine is good both in city and highway as the lag is less. Build quality and refinement is top notch, though the light coloured interiors may get dirty easily. Apart from everything else, I liked the Bose ICE and the HUD, the slick gearshifts and drivability of the car.
Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2019. EDIT: It's the Kia Seltos!-img20191013072830.jpg

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2019. EDIT: It's the Kia Seltos!-img20191013081441.jpg

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2019. EDIT: It's the Kia Seltos!-img20191013180824.jpg
Prakritij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 12:32   #340

Kia Seltos would be my pick. The fact that a new manufacturer comes to India with BS6 engines from the starting, competent engines and fairly good pricing shows the homework that they have done. Since now they have made a good first impression, people will be automatically excited about their upcoming launches.
Old 21st December 2019, 00:28   #341
BHPian

Hyundai Venue adjudged Indian Car of the year 2020

The Hyundai Venue was crowned the 2020 Indian Car of the Year. On behalf of the ICOTY 2020 jury, Dr Raghupati Singhania, Chairman & MD, JK Tyre & Industries Ltd., presented the ICOTY 2020 trophy to Mr Bryan Dong Huwy Park (Executive Director - Sales & Marketing) at Hyundai Motor India Ltd.). The Venue had to battle it out with some really strong contenders in the form of the Honda Civic, Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS, Tata Harrier, MG Hector, Nissan Kicks, Kia Seltos, Maruti Suzuki S-Presso, Renault Triber and the Maruti Suzuki WagonR but ultimately it took home the crown with 111 points. The Kia Seltos gave the Venue good competition and with 102 points, it took home second place. Behind the Seltos, the Renault Triber claimed the final spot on the podium with 56 points.

Source
http://www.icoty.org/

I expected Seltos to win this title, little surprised with Venue taking the crown.
vvivek85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 12:03   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Car of the Year 2018- Sales Data and Analysis

While all are in the process of announcing the Car of the Year, here is proof in terms of data announcing the best seller when comping the sales volumes of the cars launched in 2018.

Quote:
Since in 2019 the market de-grew, have taken industry de-growth figure as yardstick for assessment. For apple to apple comparison monthly average figure is considered.
Sales performer, among-st the cars launched in the year 2018 goes to…. Maruti Suzuki Ertiga!

Summary:

Name:  14.PNG
Views: 1832
Size:  185.9 KB

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 1819
Size:  153.0 KB

Report card of 2018 launches:

1. Honda CR-V:

Among the 10 best-selling cars in the world, but performance in India, is quite underwhelming
Name:  2.PNG
Views: 1817
Size:  75.8 KB

Irony, first two generations performed better than the current generation, even without diesel power plant, that too in a market which was far too less mature for premium petrol powered SUV.
Name:  3.PNG
Views: 1806
Size:  89.9 KB

And the high asking price has not gone well with Indian buyers at all, huge cash discounts (announced on website!), just corroborate this.

2Maruti Ertiga+XL6:

Maruti has basically used enriched ingredients for 2nd generation Ertiga – bigger, more powerful and fuel efficient engines (1.5L Petrol & 1.5L Diesel), more space for 3rd row of seat, distinct styling (different from siblings – Swift & Dzire), and then served at right price. And of course, a well thought out derivative in the form of XL6, which added incremental numbers in 2019.

Though it is an apple to orange comparison, but Ertiga has had garnered, much-much better sales volume, than Toyota Innova, that too in a challenging year.
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1799
Size:  80.0 KB

3. Honda Amaze:

It is performing better in 2019, in otherwise challenging market, where segment leader Maruti Dzire suffered severe volume loss on account of automobile industry recession.
Name:  4.PNG
Views: 1781
Size:  78.6 KB

Yet, Honda Amaze is far too distant from segment leader Maruti Dzire. Statistics shows, that Amaze has actually eaten into the market share of the weakest players.

Name:  5.PNG
Views: 1790
Size:  146.5 KB

4.Mahindra Alturas:

For an SUV – it is big, looks brute, has an inviting interior with all bells and whistles along with a powerful engine, and undercuts competitor’s price as well.
Still it is stuck, at one third mark of facelifted Ford Endeavour. Only reason that comes to mind is – Mahindra Badge Value or in other words – Brand image (how consumer perceive the brand, for example – Toyota Fortuner redeems the price premium it charges with good resale value, even without sunroof).
Name:  6.PNG
Views: 1773
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  7.PNG
Views: 1763
Size:  146.5 KB

Only time will tell or has Mahindra missed the opportunity to create a sub-brand (high stake) for premium category products?

5.Maruti Swift:

With every passing generation, Swift is becoming a much stronger brand in itself.

Name:  8.PNG
Views: 1754
Size:  79.5 KB
Quote:
As per Global NCAP ratings, current generation of Indian Swift (with 2 front airbags) is safer than the previous generation (test car with – 0 airbag). 2 star out of possible 5, is still disappointing for such a popular car, which by no means can be considered as cheap in India. And for those 2 stars, special thanks goes to, Ministry of Road Transport & Highways – India, forcing every passenger car maker to provide front airbag and ABS as mandatory safety equipment.
6.Hyundai Santro:

Considering it is a car from Hyundai, launched with lots of hype, can now be considered a flop.
Quote:
Legendry Santro, the product which build a company in India, transformed the PV industry, from sellers’ market to buyers’ market, sadly, is no more a legend in present avatar. Santro is struggling, to even keep up with the traditional rival – Wagon R’s second fiddle, Celerio.
Name:  9.PNG
Views: 1750
Size:  88.4 KB

Maruti still has its trump card – fuel efficient, refined petrol engine which are nice to drive – that’s a technological competence.

7.Mahindra Marzzo:

Mahindra identified a sweet spot in MUV segment, both in terms of price and size, and that is – positioning in between Maruti Ertiga and Toyota Innova.

Name:  10.PNG
Views: 1743
Size:  86.2 KB

But by then,the top car maker- Maruti has changed the rule of game, with the new generation Ertiga.
Ertiga offers similar in-cabin space, better 3rd row seating, slightly more boot space, similar equipment level, has much better fuel efficiency at the cost of power, and cost almost 3.5 lakhs INR less (diesel top-end).

Now Marazzo is stuck in a spot, which doesn’t seems sweet anymore.

8.Mitsubishi Outlander:

Mitsubishi brand still has cult following, but company is unfortunately not listening.

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 1722
Size:  67.2 KB

9.Toyota Yaris
Mother of all flops! Brought to you by Toyota, maker of mighty Fortuner and Innova. Car was certainly overpriced, seems slightly dated in company of Honda City, Hyundai Verna, and Maruti Ciaz, and that killed its chance, immediately on arrival.

Name:  12.PNG
Views: 1732
Size:  219.2 KB

Even Maruti, had a better run in the past.
Name:  13.PNG
Views: 1704
Size:  65.8 KB

Source:Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd December 2019 at 12:21.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 13:08   #343
BHPian

I voted for Renault Triber. Not my favourite in the list, nor do I plan to buy one but my vote is for bringing in something very different at that price point. Plenty of choices now a days in the market, but few years ago I used to wonder why the station wagons and other practical cars like Ford Fusion didn't do well. Indigo Marina, Baleno Altura to name a few. If I was considering my first car at a tight budget Triber would tick most of the boxes.
Biker Ram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 16:39   #344
BHPian

I voted for Kia Seltos although I don't think it's the absolute best in the price segment it caters to. But, the sheer launch experience that KIA gave the prospective customers deserves this. The choice of engines, Auto transmission (DCT, CVT and TC). NA Petrol, Turbo Petrol, etc. I don't think any other company has had a launch like this. Kia waited it out well, held onto pressure tactics from Tata and MG. They had initial hiccups at the plant and there were several delays right since the commissioning of the plant. But, they overcame all difficulties and came out to be a smash hit. Now, I am eagerly awaiting the launch of Carnival and Optima in India.

I am shocked/ surprised to see so fewer votes for Hyundai Venue. While the sale nos month on month depicts a totally different story. It's selling close to 9k units per month since launch. And it surely is a hit.
Old 24th December 2019, 14:10   #345
BHPian

Voted for the R Triber. It should have been the Kia, but the odds faced by the Triber simply puts it on top. Kia has a defined benchmark to best, in terms of specifications, market segment and a defined buyer profile. While the Triber had to eke out a segment by itself, create a buyer segment and fight in the bottom of the pit. Yet it has come out on top, blazed a path while looking good and performing at par if not the best. Recently met a couple of owners at Pachgani (Mahabaleshwar) who drove down (or up) from Mumbai and Gujarat. Both did it full house (7pax), only gripe was planning overtakes much before hand. Ghats didn't pose any problems at all!
And both the rides looked awesome to me. Yeah the Kia rides great, but looks like a Christmas Tree at night. I might end up buying the Kia, but heart is with the Renault Triber for our COTY19.

Last edited by jazzrockz : 24th December 2019 at 14:11.
jazzrockz is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks