Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2020, 15:41   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV

Mod Note: Our Nissan Magnite Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

The new Nissan subcompact SUV will be launched later this year in the first half of 2020.

The SUV will compete with the likes of Hyundai Venue, Mahindra XUV 3OO, Tata Nexon, and Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza among others.

The company made an important announcement wherein it mentioned launching one new model every year.

Quote:
This all-new SUV from Nissan will be based on an all-new platform that has been designed in Japan with extensive inputs from India. The company confirms that the SUV, that will be manufactured at the Oragadam plant near Chennai, will be primarily sold in the Indian markets. However, it will also be exported to other countries as well.

While the design of this SUV is expected to take styling cues from the company's bigger SUVs, the cabin trims and the features list will have a premium touch.

The powertrain and transmission options too will be all-new, and nothing of that will be shared with Renault, ending the speculation of a Renault SUV based on the same platform.

Quote:
based on the teaser image revealed by the company, it is likely to look like a baby Kicks.
The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-nissanbsuv.jpg

Link

Last edited by Aditya : 21st October 2020 at 13:39. Reason: Adding link to report
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 15:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV

The scales at which these two partners are operating, it doesn’t make sense to continue unless one company fully amalgamated its portfolio into the other ie, Nissan cars are sold by Renault, who seems to have a slightly better brand connect , while Nissan cars ( non-Datsun)themselves are slightly superior as a product. A Renault Kicks instead of a Captur would have done the job.
fhdowntheline is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 16:11   #3
BHPian

It's quite surprising to see that the model will be launched in first half of 2020. Shouldn't someone have spotted some test mules by now? Especially considering the fact that it's an all new product being targeted specifically at India. I really hope that they do enough testing before the launch. One good thing is that now we can temporarily put the rumors of Nissan shutting shop to rest.

Also the statement about all new powertrain option not being shared with Renault doesn't really make any sense. Triber is said to get an all new turbo petrol. Logically, it should also be a good match to the Nissan C-SUV. Why would they want to develop another engine just for Nissan portfolio? It's just going to drive up the R&D costs

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 27th January 2020 at 16:21.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 16:41   #4
BHPian

No test mules seen yet, i am doubtful whether it'll be launched in 2020 first half. Also, happy to see Nissan hasn't given up and started packing it's bags like Chevrolet.

Competition is always good, especially when we have a company like suzuki ruling the market ( nobody needs introduction to their nefarious practices ).

I think this is the result of people like Mr. Srivastava joining the ranks. I sincerely do hope we see a rejuvenated Nissan taking the fight to the rest of the market.
SaiSW is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 17:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
Also the statement about all new powertrain option not being shared with Renault doesn't really make any sense. Triber is said to get an all new turbo petrol. Logically, it should also be a good match to the Nissan C-SUV. Why would they want to develop another engine just for Nissan portfolio? It's just going to drive up the R&D costs
Nissan and Renault though global partners are now like a Husband and Wife not living together anymore and having separate kitchens. Until better sense prevails or the divorce comes through its going to be like this. The Carlos Ghosn escapade has not done any favours either
sreedotk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 19:17   #6
BHPian

I drove the Nissan Rogue for over 2000 miles in the US last year.

- The shape of the rear windows of this teaser closely resembles the Rogue.
- The chrome at the edges are similar to the Rogue too.
- The spoiler is something that was missing in the one that I drove, but I am attaching an image of one that has a spoiler.

The Rogue comes with a 2.5 L petrol engine, which I felt was grossly underpowered, even compared to the 1.5L iVTEC that my BR-V has.

I believe it's going to be a smaller version of the Rogue. The Rogue sells like crazy in the US, but that's because Nissan's operating profits were down to as low as 1%.

Let's see if Mr Srivastava gets this product right!
Attached Images

sdaityari is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 20:58   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan's Press release:

NISSAN TO LAUNCH AN ALL-NEW, TECHNOLOGY-RICH AND STYLISH SUV IN 2020.

Nissan will launch its first made for India Compact SUV on the philosophy of “Make in India, Make for the World”.

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-teaser1.jpg.ximg.l_12_m.smart.jpg

Quote:
Building on Nissan’s global SUV heritage and advanced technology, the New Compact SUV is designed for tomorrow’s journey as a feature-rich premium offering with stylish design for a strong and dynamic road presence. Nissan’s new SUV features the latest technology as a part of Nissan Intelligent Mobility, the company’s vision as to how vehicles are powered, driven and integrated into society.

The Compact SUV is a testimony to Nissan’s Global SUV DNA spirit of relentless innovation and Japanese engineering, building on Nissan’s iconic models such as the Patrol, Pathfinder, Armada, X-Trail, Juke, Qashqai and KICKS.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th January 2020 at 21:11.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 21:06   #8
BHPian

So they're finally out of their slumber.. or are they? Launch in first half of 2020 with no mules seen as of yet, and an all new platform and engines, all of that sounds a little weird. Still hoping against common sense that they prove all this right.

And please Nissan! Get a better marketing team this time, because a competent kicks became a flop majorly due to your botch-up in marketing it properly. Food luck
Skorp_Knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 21:28   #9
BHPian

From what i know, this was supposed to be a Datsun offering. Now with Datsun leaving us for good (almost), this will get Nissan branding. I just pray that it is not on the CMF-A/B platform.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 21:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Maybe the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross spotted here was running the Nissan test bench underneath.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 09:28   #11
BHPian

Looks like Kumbakarna has woken up. Even in Ramayana, elephants were used to wake him up. Nissan needed someone like Mr Rakesh I think.

I think Indian car market is the easiest to crack. More bling and features, gizmos, Kitna Deti hai, looks that can please most, space inside and a few more.

Technology, platform, engineering are for us to discuss here .
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 09:46   #12
BHPian

So this new vehicle looks (to my untrained eye) like the Kicks which looks like the Terrano in return.
Pardon my ignorance here, but how does this qualify as an all-new SUV?
Old 28th January 2020, 10:58   #13
BHPian

Its not completely their fault since the HQ has limited money for R&D. Even halo models in USA have not received proper updates and all are limited to facelifts or minor tidbits changes.
Old 28th January 2020, 11:47   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Because Nissan is drowning, it will HAVE to ensure that its small SUV is:

- Vastly superior to the others.

- Priced so well that Nissan-averse customers cannot say no.

It cannot sell a product that is similar to that of the big boys, at a similar price. There has to be a reason for customers to choose a car from a damaged brand over the others. It has to have USPs & an irresistible price.

Must say, I appreciate Nissan still trying with another product - related thread (Nissan India Deathwatch - Will Nissan exit India?). Sort of reminds me of all those Rocky movies where Sylvester Stallone would get up, even after being on the verge of collapse with bruises + injuries.

GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 13:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It cannot sell a product that is similar to that of the big boys, at a similar price. There has to be a reason for customers to choose a car from a damaged brand over the others. It has to have USPs & an irresistible price.
Totally agree. In our price-sensitive market, we look for a VFM product with all bells and whistles so yes they have to price this new compact SUV really aggressively. Take baby steps; lower your margins, try to acquire a reasonable market share and then increase prices.

And yes I do appreciate their efforts. And that's what I always teach my little avengers, try, try but never cry.

Nissan India has a tough road ahead but good to see they are gearing up.
theguardian is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks