Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2020, 21:49   #151
BHPian

Re: The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV

Magnite looks deadly and if the production version is 80% of what is seen here, Nissan have a winner in their hands. This will not beat the hell out of any of it's competitors, but it will bring a new lease of life for Nissan India. I haven't drooled at any car like this ever since Lancer. Boy, it has that SUV presence.

I for one, if in market for CSUV and Magnite is launched with this stunning red color, I would book it.(Ofcourse after TD but I assume it's nissan, so it rides well)
xcentrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 09:01   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but the Venue/Sonet aren't exactly safe cars, far from being the epitome of safety in the segment. Both of these are based on the Santro's K1 platform which has performed poorly and the structure was rated unstable.
I'm sorry for being in a "bubble", but if these are really based on Santro K1 platform then the price they command is to simply put it, outlandish!

However, that is no excuse for Nissan taking the same route when they already have better global platforms. Pretty sure even the oold Micra is safer than their Datsun platform. Someone here mentioned Magnite is not based on Datsun platform and has been developed on comparatively safer one which seems like a consolation until the NCAP results come in. And until that happens, demanding a high price would be an instant suicide for Magnite, not that Nissan is doing so well here anyway. Saying this because most people would not look beyond Maruti / Hyundai and anyone with an inch of enthusiast within them will look at the safety ratings.

Its a shame because I'm a big fan of Nissans especially after we got the Micra which is my wife's primary and the Sunny as well. I regularly pester them on their social media pages asking about their global model releases in India.

Last edited by jagzrk : 29th August 2020 at 09:04. Reason: adding context
jagzrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 09:42   #153
Senior - BHPian

Just a reminder guys, just because a vehicle is based around a platform doesn't mean all cars from the said platform are identical. The word platform in automobile engineering means architecture at the time of R&D phase. It doesn't mean the Santro and the Venue share the same chassis. So there is no basis to judge safety viz a viz the lower model.
Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 10:12   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, being based on a specific Chassis / design does not mean that all cars on that platform are unsafe. A specific modular design like this is meant to standardize the tools and jigs required for the key components. After the tools are made, the sheet metal used - thickness and strength are key factors in the structural rigidity of the car. The same tools can be used for different sheet thickness as well as High strength steel. So the same modular platform can be used to generate different cars with different structural strength!
The Hyundai Venue is a 4 star rated car and I feel the Sonet in comparable versions will be safer if not equal to the Venue.
https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-rati...i/venue/cfd06a
Behemoth is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 12:21   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The Hyundai Venue is a 4 star rated car and I feel the Sonet in comparable versions will be safer if not equal to the Venue.
https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-rati...i/venue/cfd06a
As has been said many a time, this rating is not applicable to the Indian Venue. The Venue tested here was built on the global accent (verna) platform, while the one we get in India is built on the Santro platform. The difference is probably due to the Indian Venue being proportionally smaller in order to keep it sub-4m.
RoadMonkey is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 12:52   #156
Senior - BHPian

Wish they could carry this design language into kicks class.
They have to undercut the Hyundai/Kia combination to attract attention. Put a panoramic glass and price it at sonet level. That should give them some visibility
Old 29th August 2020, 19:55   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Just a reminder guys, just because a vehicle is based around a platform doesn't mean all cars from the said platform are identical. The word platform in automobile engineering means architecture at the time of R&D phase. It doesn't mean the Santro and the Venue share the same chassis. So there is no basis to judge safety viz a viz the lower model.
I believe you cannot alter the stiffness or crash worthiness of a platform by simply adding some extra bits, it needs multiple exhaustive changes and the core may still not be stable. An example would be Maruti's heartect platform, all cars using the particular platform are unsafe. And if Magnite is priced in the range of the Sonet and likes it would be a cheap move by Nissan to use the same platform as that of an entry level hatchback.
Let's not try to cover up manufacturers trying to cut costs in safety, it would only lead to worse quality and poor safety vehicles. I apologize if I sounded harsh, just requesting as a fellow BHPian.

Lowflyer23

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 29th August 2020 at 20:07. Reason: Including information
Lowflyer23 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 00:15   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
I believe you cannot alter the stiffness or crash worthiness of a platform by simply adding some extra bits, it needs multiple exhaustive changes and the core may still not be stable. An example would be Maruti's heartect platform, all cars using the particular platform are unsafe. And if Magnite is priced in the range of the Sonet and likes it would be a cheap move by Nissan to use the same platform as that of an entry level hatchback.

Lowflyer23
Like I said. A platform isn't a physical entity. Its an engineering term that denotes "architecture". Like in the case of a computer chip of which many variants can stem from one architecture. That doesn't necessarily mean the cheaper model is the whole base for the top of the line chip from the same architecture or that performance or endurance of lower chip is the standard for top chip. Just because the cheaper chip came first it doesn't mean the top chips are based on it. They were all designed together at some point.

Most manufacturers plan this from the start on how many products can be built out of a common platform. Its not like they start from a weak base and move to the top. Often it starts from the top and gets trimmed to the bottom. Trickle down effect as they say.

This is how automotive/mechanical analysis software works these days when designing cars to a cost or say reducing material to a minimum when analyzing the build.
You may want to see motorsport engineering documentary for further research on this.

Unfortunately this myth of platform sharing =chassis sharing seems to be doing rounds on even enthusiasts forum.

And yes you can alter chassis rigidity or stiffness by playing with materials and welds as you go. That's exactly what Mitsubishi did with the Evos and Honda with the Type Rs. But to conclude "platform share =/= chassis swap"

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 30th August 2020 at 00:20.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 10:58   #159
BHPian

Well, Nissan has got a tough job at their hand to make this one a grand success and they better do this time after the failure of Kicks. The car looks quite premium unless seen in person.

Also heard it has got some segment first features and going to be very very aggressively priced but, it has to face strong competition from likes of Brezza, Venue, Sonet, XUV 3OO etc. and please Nissan, Pls get your marketing right this time.

Also, I wonder why would they launch it after the festive season?
Old 30th August 2020, 11:31   #160
BHPian

Agree that the Magnite was supposed to be a Datsun product before Nissan had change of minds but the design elements looks strikingly similar to the new Redi GO facelift. The headlights, chrome around the grill, the DRL’s etc. I am not sure if I would like this from a neutral standpoint.
Attached Thumbnails
The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-2ef19228c870448791aca4ec94979314.jpeg  

Xaos636 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 18:54   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Unfortunately this myth of platform sharing =chassis sharing seems to be doing rounds on even enthusiasts forum.

And yes you can alter chassis rigidity or stiffness by playing with materials and welds as you go. That's exactly what Mitsubishi did with the Evos and Honda with the Type Rs. But to conclude "platform share =/= chassis swap"
So going by your analysis does that mean Maruti, Datsun etc. are too lazy to make significant changes to their "SIMILAR ARCHITECTURES" used in different cars. Also can you give the explanation for a VGA PQ25 platform car getting a good safety score but Maruti cars with heartect platform still not able to match the score costing even more than them.

Lowflyer23
Lowflyer23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 19:20   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
So going by your analysis does that mean Maruti, Datsun etc. are too lazy to make significant changes to their "SIMILAR ARCHITECTURES" used in different cars. Also can you give the explanation for a VGA PQ25 platform car getting a good safety score but Maruti cars with heartect platform still not able to match the score costing even more than them.

Lowflyer23
If you speak to any automobile engineer they will tell you what a platform is and what are the benefits of sharing one which is mostly cutting down costs at development phase i.e., R&D phase.

If the target buyer is after fuel efficiency of a Maruti or a Datsun why would they improve their cars for safety when any material added to improve it negates fuel efficiency which is their only trump card?

Is the VGA platform and the Heartect platform built under the same roof by a common set of manufacturers? No.
Again comparing different platforms from different manufacturers or even comparing products from same platform in different segment makes no sense.
The Japanese Mazda Flair aka Suzuki Hustler scored 4 stars in JNcap. The Indian Alto based on the same platform scored 0. Would you say that the Heartect platform is safe because the Hustler passed the test?

Another example of this is a car based on same platform scoring 0 stars in Asia and atleast 3 stars in Europe. Manufacturers can always modify it to suit different markets and pricing. That's why they call it a platform where they can stand still and board as many product trains to different countries as possible from a common point.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 30th August 2020 at 19:22.
Nithesh_M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:35   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan Magnite and Renault Kiger spied together. One launching soon while the other in 2021.

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-renaultkigernissanmagnite11068x712.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd September 2020 at 12:36.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:37   #164
BHPian

Wow, the Kiger's tail split-tail lamps looks very attractive due to its 3D construction than the conventional plain glass chamber. But those narrow wheels may give an ugly look from the back due to its raised stance.
Old 5th September 2020, 10:31   #165
BHPian

Nissan Renault needs to work on customer needs and pricing. They provide good engines and suspension, but these days people are not looking much into long term reliability of engine. They need come up with new design and features.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed