Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2020, 16:16   #211
BHPian

Re: The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV

This model was initially planned under the brand of Datsun. The Datsun'ish front gril (hexagon) & "L" shaped DRLs (Redi-GO) are from Datsun's design books. Something went wrong probably, they decided to give this car a Nissan badge, thereby ignoring the Nissan's design language (V grills).

With Datsun, Nissan & Renault cars produced at their Renault-Nissan factory at Chennai, am bit skeptical what else is in store of Datsun brand, or is it the end of road for much hyped revival of Datsun brand.

Also, considering the current situation of Nissan, they may have to position it cleverly like how Renault did with Triber.
Will this car be a competition the likes of Sonnet, Ecosport, Venue, Nexon etc, especially when compact SUV segment stretches from 8 lacs to 15 lacs OTR band, offering plethora of features & powertrain combinations?
redbaron91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 17:19   #212
BHPian

The citroen c5 and magnite shares similar looking alloys
The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-20200901_141606.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4877028
jeganatu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 19:14   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
Nissan has released a new promo video on Magnite...
I really like what I see!! The car is definitely gorgeous and love those alloy wheels too. I'd have loved to see a diesel option too. Which segment is this? I thought this will sit below Terrano?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 19:27   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I really like what I see!! The car is definitely gorgeous and love those alloy wheels too. I'd have loved to see a diesel option too. Which segment is this? I thought this will sit below Terrano?
No Diesel engine will be released as the company has no engine compliant to BS6 emission rules.

The segment will be CSUV for sure, but the pricing remains the key element. As per the speculations, it will be priced from 6-10 lakhs.
Old 10th October 2020, 20:28   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
No Diesel engine will be released as the company has no engine compliant to BS6 emission rules.

The segment will be CSUV for sure, but the pricing remains the key element. As per the speculations, it will be priced from 6-10 lakhs.
They (The alliance) already have updated large diesels for their international markets, but won't bend to bring it here. Costing and mileage will take a hit bringing here. But there is a huge scope if they bring here as they can share among the alliance.

I expect they price it in the range of 4.9- 9.5 lakhs similar to Triber. Remember, Triber is a 3 row seater micro MUV.

We are not yet sure about 1.0 turbo petrol in Magnite at this moment. However there is a strong possibility of CVT as already they use it for the Datsuns.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th October 2020 at 17:27. Reason: typos
jeganatu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 20:36   #216
BHPian

Very promising signs!. But very few have ever doubted their cars. They are strongly built, run fabulously and owners will have a ball. It is always their pricing/dealerships which have a question mark .

Just a Magnite is not sufficient. They also need a magnet to bring in footfalls into their limited number of showrooms . The Sonet is another blockbuster product from Kia. Nissan has to price the Magnite very very aggressively to slowly make people look around at other options.

They seriously need to ramp up their service network, for starters. Typically, a once in a year visit is all cars nowadays do to a service center. But just feels mentally reassuring that a few more are around when we go out on those long drives with families.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 21:16   #217
BHPian

My two cents. Being close to the industry, I can provide some legitimate insights. No. of touch points is no more a worry and Kia success is testimony to that. So that negates the need to brag about service availability as a key success factor. Secondly, if Nissan was not committed to India, why would they still not give up, when the market continues to blindly reject their products.

Nissan is a globally acclaimed company but unfortunately, hasn't go their due. Sometimes, even we petrolheads have also been a bit too harsh sometimes!
As many of us feel, Magnite is certainly showing promising signs!
ganadrive16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 21:26   #218
BHPian

I would be amazed if Magnite does 20% of Sonet, Venue or Brezza MoM sales. Though product might contain some segment first features and a great price tag but still it’s an uphill task to dethrone segment leaders.
Old 10th October 2020, 21:54   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
They (The alliance) already have updated large diesels for their international markets, but won't bend to bring it here. Costing and milegae will take a hit bringing here. But there is a huge scope if they bring here as they can share among the alliance.

I expect they price it in the range of 4.9- 9.5 lakhs similar to Triber. Remember, triber is a 3 row seater micro muv.

We are not yet sure about 1.0 turbo petrol in magnite at this moment. However there is a strong possiblity of CVT as already they use it for the datsuns.
Well, the capex related to implementation of their famous k9k diesel will never break even considering their market acceptance. Also when we say alliance, here one part of the group is only having sales numbers(Renault) where the other is struggling (Nissan). Better they put more investment into new launches and reduce business risk.

And it is confirmed already that both magnite and kiger will have the 1.0 Turbo engine.
starke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 22:48   #220
BHPian

What a nice design! Very tasteful I must say - a quick glance reminds me of the face in the below picture. If it is indeed priced around the 6lakh range for the base version, it would give a run to a lot of the B2 segment cars?

Picture source : google search for outlander
Attached Thumbnails
The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-images-4.jpeg  

Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 08:37   #221
BHPian

More spy shots.
Source: https://shifting-gears.com/2020-niss...-spyshots/amp/

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-img20201012wa0007.jpg

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-img20201012wa0006.jpg

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-img20201012wa0004.jpg

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-img20201012wa0005.jpg

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-img20201012wa0003.jpg

Last edited by jeganatu : 12th October 2020 at 09:01.
jeganatu is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 10:55   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
If it is indeed priced around the 6lakh range for the base version, it would give a run to a lot of the B2 segment cars?
The Magnite will definitely be priced very aggressively but Nissan’s top most priority at this moment should be to increase its dealerships across the country!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 12:03   #223
BHPian

Front face looks more like a bigger version of the Redi-Go.

This should make an impact, If priced around 5 Lakhs INR.Still Nissan's a$$ remains gamble.
Old 12th October 2020, 12:05   #224
BHPian

This car definitely looks good no doubt about that. And I truly hope this can bring some much-needed sales volume to Nissan India.

Probably India is the only country where Nissan really struggles to sell their products. In most other markets, they have good offerings in almost all segments. India is a very sensitive market in almost all aspects, price, tax and what not. It is a really tough job to survive in such conditions. Especially considering the competition offered by Maruti, Hyundai and now TATA as well.

Speaking of the looks of this car, this is unmistakably a Datsun. The front looks more like a redi-Go to me. And I truly hope Nissan won't screw it with the flimsy built that was offered on almost all Datsun cars sold in India.*

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th October 2020 at 16:38. Reason: typos
Old 12th October 2020, 14:36   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
Speaking of the looks of this car, this is unmistakably a Datsun. The front looks more like a redi-Go to me. And I truly hope Nissan won't screw it with the flimsy built that was offered on almost all Datsun cars sold in India.*
This was supposed to be launched under Datsun brand along with new redi-Go. But the global Nissan Next 2024 team decided to phase out Datsun from the market slowly. So at the last minute they decided to launch this with Nissan brand with extra premium. If they had scrapped the Datsun grill and updated with Nissan's V motion design language, Magnite would be seen as a stellar. Also this would have taken down the image of Datsun-ness from the magnite.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th October 2020 at 16:37. Reason: typos.
jeganatu is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed