Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2020, 15:43   #226
BHPian

Re: The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
This was supposed to be launched under datsun brand along with new redigo. But the global Nissan Next 2024 team decided to phase out datsun from the market slowly. So at the last minute they decided to launch this with Nissan brand with extra premium. If they had scrapped the Datsun grill and updated with Nissan's V motion design language, Magnite would be seen as a stellar. Also this would have taken down the image of datsuness from the magnite.
True that. In addition, I do not think this could really be worthy to compete with products like Sonet, Venue, Nexon, EcoSport etc. No matter how good it looks, this certainly is like a beefed-up version of KWID and nothing more than that. But again, that would be apt for that segment. I hope they will price it right with a good built and engine combo. Otherwise, with this could turn out to be another flop from Nissan India and may expedite their way out from the Indian market as they might not have anything left to try.

Hope things will work well for Nissan this time.
Old 12th October 2020, 15:48   #227
Senior - BHPian

Production-spec Nissan Magnite spotted during TVC shoot

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-smartselect_20201012154646_lite.jpg

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-smartselect_20201012154636_lite.jpg

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-smartselect_20201012154653_lite.jpg

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-smartselect_20201012154701_lite.jpg

Source : Autocar India
Venkatesh is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 16:21   #228
BHPian

The magnite sure looks good in photos. But I was wondering what was the point of launching a mass market product without the distribution network that would reach the mass market.

So I did a quick google search and found that Nissan still has about 164 dealers in India. For comparison Kia has about 154. These figures come from cardekho website.

https://www.cardekho.com/Nissan/cardealers
https://www.cardekho.com/Kia/cardealers

Unless those numbers are wrong, it seems that although many Nissan dealerships are closing giving a perception of dwindling dealership network, Nissan still has reach similar to Kia when looked at pan India network.

So it seems it's not just a case of less dealerships but also the case of a tarnished brand. Nissan would need some serious marketing/promotions to improve the brand image on top of an excellent product and value proposition.
NT56 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 16:31   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Attachment 2066805

Oh hey, hello XUV300!
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 17:21   #230
BHPian

They have definitely kept the car almost unchanged from the one showcased earlier.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th October 2020 at 10:58. Reason: Typo
Old 12th October 2020, 17:23   #231
BHPian

Looks amazing in the pictures, but I am not sure how Nissan will attract mass customers where the brand itself has not created enough dent in the Indian market. I think Nissan has to 1st focus on increasing the sales and service stations pan Indian and then on products to have a long term sustainability.

I wish that Magnite fares well against the fierce competition in this sub compact SUV space. Lets wait and see
Carz77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 21:12   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
True that. In addition, I do not think this could really be worthy to compete with products like Sonet, Venue, Nexon, EcoSport etc. No matter how good it looks, this certainly is like a beefed-up version of KWID and nothing more than that. But again, that would be apt for that segment. I hope they will price it right with a good built and engine combo. Otherwise, with this could turn out to be another flop from Nissan India and may expedite their way out from the Indian market as they might not have anything left to try.

Hope things will work well for Nissan this time.
Well Kwid offered what it could do on the price it offers, So I don't understand what makes it inferior to its rival if it comes with a modular platform which shares with an A-segment vehicle. Triber stands on the same platform and offers the best value for money. Never heard any serious quality concerns regarding their platform/rideability.

Their CMF platforms are now widely used around the globe for both Nissan as well as Renault entity. It is not a cheap/quality less version intended to India market. Moreover, both this Kiger & Magnite are planned to export to their new AMIEO market from India.

Let's hope Nissan India comes back creating more competition means a customer-controlled market.
starke is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 04:11   #233
BHPian

This has to be the best looking sub 4m crossover. I just wish Nissan gets to taste success with the Magnite and we get a range topping version with the 1.3 turbo petrol sometime in near future.
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 12:11   #234
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2066803

Attachment 2066804

Attachment 2066805

Attachment 2066806

Is the blue car carrying 'DCi' monogram on the boot? Diesel mill expected?

The red one is clearly seen carrying the 'CVT' badge though.
Old 13th October 2020, 13:05   #235
Senior - BHPian

Nissan brand needs an image makeover at the earliest. Their cars may be great but not every consumer is brave enough to vote with their wallets esp. with no clear sight of their future in India.

May be Nissan can offer buyback schemes just like MG did for Hector, to gain back some customer confidence. Also, they should consider to bring back some of their international offerings to India. They will not sell in volumes, but as others in this thread had articulated, it will ensure the brand image doesn't take a beating.

Unfortunately, the customers today are falling for aggressive marketing than for the worth of the car itself. Some of the recent releases had followed the same pattern, and the result is that the cars are a runaway success today. Low sticker price(without compromising build) and aggressive marketing will at least ensure some footfall to Nissan showrooms.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 14:21   #236
BHPian

Though it resembles Datsun products, styling is really good except the wheels which look smaller and those fancy alloys
Old 13th October 2020, 16:28   #237
Senior - BHPian

In my limited opinion, what Nissan India needs to do is understand Indian 4 wheeler market better and bring more desirable and practical models to India. Nissan has a great product catalogue internationally, yet they shy away from bringing some to India (at the right product-price mix).

There is enough data available from the 4 wheeler passenger car market, data need to be mined and intelligence has to be gathered. If Nissan is unwilling to do that, little choice exists than to wrap up and leave. Cause with their current strategy, i don't understand how their dealers will not (eventually).

One manufacturer I'd be happy to be proven wrong with any turnaround. Nissan does make very good and desirable + functional passenger cars.
k_ajay is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 00:25   #238
BHPian

Quote:

If this is coming to customer's hands then this is inarguably the most stunning sub-compact SUV in Indian market, well ahead of recently launched Sonet or even Tata Nexon...!
rocketfinger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:28   #239
BHPian

Would have been so cool if they have retained the ORVM design which was present in the concept car. It is sad to see that they switched to a more conventional design with production model. The interiors also looks so cool in the pictures and definitely stands out from the rest of the cars from this segment. I am not sure whether this design appeals to everyone. But all this makes this car unique. Whether Datsun or Nissan, at the end of the day, definitely the design team deserves an applause. I pray that they don't dilute the design of the interior to make it more acceptable for the masses. Now eagerly waiting for prices to be released in October 21!
Attached Images

Old 14th October 2020, 14:46   #240
BHPian

Quote:
A quick check on the vehicle registration shows this!
The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-screenshot-20201014-2.43.13-pm.png

What am I missing here?
Is it fine to register with a different model name altogether (this is registered as Kicks)
Or swapping number plates?
shishir333 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed