Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2020, 18:22   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV

What does Magnite mean anyway? Does it stand for Megnetism, a magnet, magnate - maybe. Branding could have been better considering it's 'do or die' for Nissan
Old 1st July 2020, 19:13   #62
GBX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
What does Magnite mean anyway? Does it stand for Megnetism, a magnet, magnate - maybe. Branding could have been better considering it's 'do or die' for Nissan
Honestly, if Hyundai can strike gold with a name that I think is derived from "Cretin", I think Nissan should be just fine here.

With the exception of Tata naming cars after birds of prey, I don't think anyone has a good naming scheme going on right now.
GBX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 09:58   #63
Senior - BHPian

Anything that Nissan does seems to be a case of too little too late (atleast in India). I can't help but imagine why would they even bother bringing this car to India. The competition and the game has moved on already. This car should have been brought to India 5 years ago.

When I got the Micra back in 2010, I had high hopes from them. I was expecting to see much more exciting models in the last decade. Their cars are wonderful, no doubt; but the parent company is completely lost in India. They don't know their strengths and weaknesses, everything just seems a half hearted attempt at gaining the lost 0.5% market share.

They always seem to have the ammunition, but don't know when and how to use it. Why give a step motherly treatment to the Indian car market?
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:49   #64
Senior - BHPian

My take.

Drop Nissan brand in India. No purpose will be served by launching a Renault version first and then launching the Nissan version in 2021, it will already be too late. Nissan-Renault should not imagine themselves to be Hyundai-Kia, they do not have that heft to pull off a Creta-Seltos.

Instead, scrap Nissan. Concentrate fully on Renault. Renault is doing well and they deserve to be supported more from their parent company. Also, the Datsun brand needs to subsumed into Renault, slowly. Start off with naming them as "Renault Datsun" and later just Renault "Redi-go" etc.
Old 9th July 2020, 08:14   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan Magnite spied on test:

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-nissanmagnitespiedtestingindiasuvsmall2600x338.jpg

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-nissanmagnitespiedtestingindiasuvsmall4600x450.jpg

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-nissanmagnitespiedtestingindiasuvsmall5600x450.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th July 2020 at 08:15.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 08:44   #66
BHPian

Looks like the old Juke in the first picture. I think this will also do well like the Triber, since it'll have a low price.

Last edited by evoker : 9th July 2020 at 08:45.
Old 9th July 2020, 12:22   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Are those LED headlights?
Or (pardon my poor knowledge) are those matrix LEDs, which I honestly feel to be very unlikely in this segment?
Yes, but the unveil is for the Magnite 'concept' so it can wear the fancy matrix LED headlights, large and complex looking alloy wheel designs, low profile tyres, and all such fancy stuff to gather more attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Anything that Nissan does seems to be a case of too little too late (atleast in India). I can't help but imagine why would they even bother bringing this car to India. The competition and the game has moved on already. This car should have been brought to India 5 years ago.
Wait what? The SUV segment is the hot and happening segment in India, and there never was a better time to bring an SUV to the battle than today!

Kia Seltos, Hyundai Venue, Hyundai's new gen Creta, MG Hector were all launched last year and have been runaway blockbusters. Kia is bringing yet another compact SUV, while Tata's Hornbill will directly compete with this Magnite.

Nissan Magnite is going to be one of the most affordable compact SUVs, a segment that not many have even ventured into, and yet you are already writing it off?

Last edited by aravind.anand : 9th July 2020 at 12:26.
aravind.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 21:29   #68
BHPian

Looks like a hatchback from the pictures, not like a crossover and smaller than kiger. Still 7 more days to see how this looks without camouflage.

Last edited by RBalaM : 9th July 2020 at 21:51. Reason: Added crossover
Old 12th July 2020, 14:04   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Wait what? The SUV segment is the hot and happening segment in India, and there never was a better time to bring an SUV to the battle than today!
True the segment is hot and happening right now. My point was for the car, I feel that they should have got this car some 5 years ago, it would have had the first mover advantage. I am ready to write it off, because after the initial hype dies down in a couple of months or 2-3 years, the company will leave it orphaned and it will die a slow death like the Micra and the Sunny.
Old 12th July 2020, 17:09   #70
BHPian

Guys this car pictured above isn't even the magnite. Or at least that's what I feel. This looks like a tata h2x mule. Magnite is definitely bigger than this!!
Sagz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 19:16   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan Magnite unveil on July 16th, teased again!!

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-img_20200713_152800_916.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 19:33   #72
BHPian

It'll be interesting to see how Nissan will manage to sell this erstwhile Datsun. I think even non enthusiasts will realise that the design language is similar to the 2020 Redigo. Let's hope the Nissan badging helps this car and it's own fortunes.
Old 13th July 2020, 20:11   #73
GBX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Nissan Magnite unveil on July 16th, teased again!!
So the Renault is the one that's coming to market earlier, but they're unveiling this first? Bad move, now the car will look stale by the time it hits the market.

Nissan really can't catch a break(from themselves).
Old 14th July 2020, 14:53   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Another teaser from Nissan!

The Nissan Magnite subcompact SUV-nissanmagnite2020860x474.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th July 2020 at 14:57.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 20:51   #75
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th July 2020 at 12:36.
VIGNESHSP is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed