Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2020, 16:37   #301
BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekCherian View Post
Congrats on the Carbon Steel TSi

Adding a very interesting picture of my Lapiz Blue TSi Highline Plus, that I took delivery of on Monday afternoon, in Bangalore. Had originally booked a Flash Red, but switched to the Lapiz Blue due to the long waiting period quoted for the Flash Red.

PS: We know each other from college, Raghavendra
Congratulations Vivek..I guess you caught me from my pic! just 3 days gap between our purchases! Says something about our Link with College & Tastes!
Just let me know where I can get a good reverse camera!

Last edited by IntoTheStorm : 10th July 2020 at 16:42.
IntoTheStorm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 17:50   #302
BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Quote:
Adding a very interesting picture of my Lapiz Blue TSi Highline Plus, that I took delivery of on Monday afternoon, in Bangalore. Had originally booked a Flash Red, but switched to the Lapiz Blue due to the long waiting period quoted for the Flash Red.
Congrats Vivek. The car looks Hot. The Lapiz Blue is a stunner. Wishing you many many miles with the Car. Looks like you were able to knock out a substantial amount from OTR.. Looking forward to Initial Ownership Thread about the beauty.
Thanos-VV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 19:05   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Congrats! Looks like your car kissed the road(or may be the lip spoiler) .
I think it missed. But I think the dealer really should add a layer on concrete there! Crazy not to.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 19:37   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

The Vento Comfortline is an even better deal than the Rapid Rider in my view! Various folks have posted here discounted ex-showroom prices being quoted around 8.4 lakhs and Loyalty/exchange/corporate bonuses of 35k or so, so the car retails around 8.05 lakhs ex-showroom versus the Rider at 7.49 lakhs. The Rider gets zero discounts as we all know.

So, for the 55K extra, you get:
- 15 inch Linas Diamond Cut Alloy Wheels
- Cruise Control
- Absolutely delicious Leather Wrapped Flat bottom steering wheel, same unit from Tiguan and T-Roc
- GTI honeycomb grill (Looks way better than Plain Jane Raider)
- Cooled glove box
- Rear Fog Lamps
- 3D effect smoked tail lamps
-Driver side seat height adjustment (a bad miss on the Rider)
- Plus a great other small features based on analysis of the brochures

All this is certainly worth more than 55K. Skoda charges 60K for the alloy wheels alone! So my conclusion is, for the astute buyer who can drive a bargain, the Comfortline TSI is a steal at current prices. I am not even talking about “Comfortline Plus” - such a model currently does not appear on the VW website and therefore I am not able to analyse its feature differences. If it does exist and has even more features like the touchscreen infotainment, that is incredible value indeed. In either case, I would just rush to get it if I was in the market.

There is always a small amount of added finesse and quality that VW provides on its own cars versus the Skoda equivalents. Some of us who have driven both cars extensively will tend to agree.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 10th July 2020 at 19:46.
84.monsoon is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 20:17   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
There is always a small amount of added finesse and quality that VW provides on its own cars versus the Skoda equivalents. Some of us who have driven both cars extensively will tend to agree.
Yes. Apart from these are there any difference in the rear suspension in Vento vs Rapid. I learned the Vento has an independent trail arm rear suspension. What setup does Rapid have?
Old 15th July 2020, 13:07   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheStorm View Post
I really love the carbon steel color.
Congrats IntoTheStorm on your latest acquisition

I don't know who mimics whom in the auto-world, but I remember that many manufacturers launched this shade simultaneously in India. Probably its the shape or the straight lines or just the sheer paint quality, the one on the Polo/Vento does stand out.

Wish you a happy & fuss-free motoring.

Quote:
Congrats on the Carbon Steel TSi

Adding a very interesting picture of my Lapiz Blue TSi Highline Plus, that I took delivery of on Monday afternoon, in Bangalore.
Congrats Vivek on your latest acquisition.

I know its just the angle from which the snap was taken, but boy it does make your car seem lowered from factory itself
I have the exact same shade and it does stand out from a sea of Reds & Whites in the crowd.

Wish you a happy & funfilled motoring.

P.S - Looking forward to both your ownership and driving experience thread.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 13:53   #307
BHPian

I am considering the Polo TSI or the Freestyle TDCi as my next car. Did a test drive of the Polo yesterday. Boy oh boy! What an impressive machine it is. It is fast and pulls so cleanly till the red line. Regarding the lag below 2000 RPM, truly I didn't feel it. Of course it is not as responsive in the low range as it is in its mid range, but it is still quite easy to drive in the city traffic and gets to move with a gentle tap (albeit with the right gear slotted in). I have seen actual turbo lags like the DDiS and the TSI is a breeze compared to it. In the first gear, it crosses the 2000 mark in no time, and when the turbo kicks, you get the felling of being pushed back in the seat. Adding to that, the car is so stable that one does not realize how fast it is going. I was driving in the 3rd, had a feeling the car was moving at 60 but when I looked at the console, the car was at 100 and planted without a fuss. The six speed gearbox is good to hold and shifts are quite good.

Cons:
  • Though it has good FE numbers, it is quite responsive to driving style. When the car was brought to me, the MID showed 16.1 KPL. After driving for around 15 km, it dropped to around 14.5.
  • I felt that the clutch, though being light travels a bit long for my preference. It may be a bit tiring in B2B traffic and one needs to get accustomed to the same.
  • The 165 mm GC does not inspire a lot of confidence especially in Indian roads. Tested the same while driving through an underpass where the roads are terribly bad due to the rains and there are huge potholes. Though the car went through the road easily without hitting the base, I didn't feel much confident while taking it though the same. It may be that I am overthinking given that I have the GC numbers in mind. I had driven the Freestyle over the same road, and could drive through those potholes without breaking a sweat.
SansGT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 10:38   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Autocar review of the Vento TSI is in:

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-417990

It seems to be tuned a bit more for efficiency as compared to the rapid, the 0-100 figure is off by 0.3 seconds or so (at 10.4 seconds).
Old 17th July 2020, 12:57   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
Cons:
  • Though it has good FE numbers, it is quite responsive to driving style. When the car was brought to me, the MID showed 16.1 KPL. After driving for around 15 km, it dropped to around 14.5.
Recently I drove from Chennai to Palakkad with 2+1 passengers & full of luggage, and i was doing around 90-100 most of the time (sometimes with the help of cruise control!) with occasionally touching 120-130 and i got overall FE of 17.1
I was surprised as my i20 used to give me 15-16 in the same route! with less load. Maybe its because of the older gen engine of i20 & Polo's 6th gear, as engine was doing a lazy ~1800 rpm at 90 kph
IntoTheStorm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 13:53   #310
BHPian

Just heard from an SA in Mumbai that the automatic Polos will be in the showrooms 1st week of August, and deliveries can begin from the second week. He sounded really shaky when I asked him about the feature set and differences between the HL+ and the GT (not mentioning the details, because he doesn't have any official info).

The pricing on the automatics is really pissing me off. What's the point of dropping the DSG to reach this price point, and not even offer the LED headlights that the Vento has... and automatic headlamps that Rapid gets.

Waiting for the official brochures now.
vinodbollini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 14:58   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodbollini View Post
Just heard from an SA in Mumbai that the automatic Polos will be in the showrooms 1st week of August, and deliveries can begin from the second week.
One of my friend is considering the Polo GT with the updated (TC) gearbox and was provided a very similar information by a SA. I also read/heard somewhere that the production of the TC gearbox for Polo GT/Vento/Rapid has not even commenced, so I really doubt if this would even get her by September or October at best!

Quote:
What's the point of dropping the DSG to reach this price point, and not even offer the LED headlights that the Vento has... and automatic headlamps that Rapid gets.
I really hope they offer something substantial over the regular TSI Highline Plus on GT to justify the price hike, other than some lame sticker jobs. Auto-headlight switch is less than 2k and one can order it online, however VW must consider providing LED headlights as an option.
Old 17th July 2020, 15:20   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The pricing on the automatics is really pissing me off. What's the point of dropping the DSG to reach this price point, and not even offer the LED headlights that the Vento has... and automatic headlamps that Rapid gets.

Never fear about VW pricing. It keeps oscillating based on demand, supply and competition. The Polo Highline Plus TSI Manual, which officially started at 8.05 lakhs at launch just 3 months ago, is widely being advertised now as being available for 7.39 lakhs by various dealers via whatsapp marketing. Even the official prices have been dropped to 7.89 lakhs. My guess is, we would see similar price drops or discounts on the Polo TSI Auto Highline Plus and should be able to get one around 8.5 lakhs ex-showroom.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 17:37   #313
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India video review

Old 23rd July 2020, 10:31   #314
BHPian

To the new owners here, as the Official Polo TSI review (Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review) says, the recommendation is 95 RON petrol. I would like to know the following:
  • Are you filling up with the recommended 95 Octane fuel or the normal 91 Octane?
  • Is it harmful for the engine in the long run if we continuously use 91 RON (Given the limited availability of 95 RON fuel stations)? What are the other issues related to the same?
  • Is it okay to switch between 91 and 95 petrol based on availability?
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:42   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also, don't forget that the ESP (electronic stability package) and TC are taken off too!
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed