Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2020, 10:17   #151
BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Something is amiss here. All those cosmetics (spoiler, dual tone roof etc.) wouldn't cost more than few thousands at the factory. Why are they charging 1.57L more than Highline Plus variant? Do they expect GT variant to sell solely on the sub-brand name built so far?
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 11:04   #152
BHPian

Re: VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Something is amiss here. All those cosmetics (spoiler, dual tone roof etc.) wouldn't cost more than few thousands at the factory. Why are they charging 1.57L more than Highline Plus variant? Do they expect GT variant to sell solely on the sub-brand name built so far?
Highline Plus variant is offered both in Manual & AT gear box. Cost difference between Highline Plus AT & GT AT is around 40,000. So for extra 40,000 you get GT badge along with few cosmetics. 1.57 is the difference between Highline Plus MT & GT AT.

Last edited by karan0009 : 30th April 2020 at 11:10. Reason: additional info added
Old 30th April 2020, 11:28   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I think the Highline comes with lower tune (109 bhp?) and the GT would be of a higher tune (115 bhp). Can someone please confirm? GT also gets ESP and Traction control.
Old 30th April 2020, 11:40   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
Cost difference between Highline Plus AT & GT AT is around 40,000.
VW's website mentions 6-MT for GT everywhere. I guess we can't rely on VW website as it has been incorrect in the past too. I hope its TC and price difference is really 40k. Else, it sounds ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I think the Highline comes with lower tune (109 bhp?) and the GT would be of a higher tune (115 bhp). Can someone please confirm? GT also gets ESP and Traction control.
VW mention's same tune for Highline & GT (110 PS & 175 Nm). I think ESP & TC were part of DSG package because GT TDI never got them. Not sure if new GT would be getting them if Highline with same drivetrain did not get them.

Last edited by Comrade : 30th April 2020 at 11:41.
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 11:42   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Polo GT: Polo Highline Plus seems a better value proposition.

Priced at Rs 9.60 lakh, the BS6 Polo GT costs a whopping Rs 1.57 lakh more than the manual gearbox-equipped Polo Highline Plus.
I have probably been lucky enough to buy some marque variants with just my pure gut feeling.

- I bought Getz 1.3 back in 2010, which was the last of the bigger 1300cc N.A motors, when the entire market had hopped onto to the <1.2 liter band wagon.
- I bought 1.6 GT TDI in 2014, which was the first and the last of the truly mainstream oil burner hot hatches.
- I bought 1.5 GT TDi in 2019, which had nothing exclusive about it. But, mine does not have that nagging 80 Km/hr and 120 Km/hr speed alert beeps, which in itself is a great thing!!

However, I got Polo GT TDI with 1500 cc Diesel Engine at an Ex-Showroom price of ₹ 9.89 Lakhs, with all the necessary features.
Now VW calls these as "Premium GT Features", which has not changed since the first iteration of Polo facelift:

Polo GT gets all the features and safety kits available on the Highline Plus, but adds a larger rear spoiler, blacked-out outside rearview mirrors, a black contrast roof, GT badges on the grille and tailgate, and a decal on the C-pillar.

If I am buying GT in 2020, VW better offer something more than just some badges and wraps for 1.57 lakhs.

In fact, one can get their Highline variant bumped up with lot more useful stuff for that kind of money over the GT!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 30th April 2020 at 11:44.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 21:26   #156
BHPian

VW introduced Polo tsi and vento tsi special editions, with decent price tags.
Polo 7.89
Vento 10.99

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...aunched-417223

Polo seems priced pretty aggressively. If someone is looking for car in that segment, this special edition seems pretty sweet deal.

They are able to give at this price because of engine capacity < 1L ?
Old 11th May 2020, 22:03   #157
Senior - BHPian

To clear all confusions:

Polo TSI AT is only available in two trims
  • Highline plus (INR 9,12,600)
  • GT or GT TSI or GT Line whatever it is called (INR 9,59,500)

The equipment list is ditto same as it was for 2019 BS4 editions.
The GT Line adds the following for INR 38,000 extra
  • GT badge on grille
  • 2* GT TSI stickers one each on LH and RH C pillars
  • Chrome GT TSI badging on boot lid
  • GT TSI scuff plates
  • sporty metallic pedals
  • Black rear spoiler
  • Black ORVM cap
  • Black roof wrap
  • GT Line badge on fender
  • GT Line decals under both front doors
What you don't get in GT Line though
  • Front armrest
  • Rear AC vent
  • GT TSI only has 5 colours-flash red, sunset red, white, blue and dark grey
  • Highline plus gets all these shades plus silver and dark brown
in Highline plus, you can also order black roof wrap option for white, sunset red, flash red and dark blue shades.

The TSI edition is normal highline plus in 1.0 TSI Manual transmission with black spoiler, the decals and black mirror caps and priced INR 13,000 cheaper.

Last edited by sidindica : 11th May 2020 at 22:05.
sidindica is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 22:31   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
  • Front armrest
  • Rear AC vent
Thanks for the information buddy. But this add more confusion for me on what VW is thinking!

Why on earth will GT line have to lose Front Armrest and Rear AC Vent?

As if it was not enough losing the DSG gearbox!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:35. Reason: Formatting
Old 11th May 2020, 22:33   #159
BHPian

Quote:

• Front armrest
  • Rear AC vent
I would trade all the extra features offered in GT variant for Highline plus, just for these two important features. Armrest and Rear AC vents are real convenient and useful features instead of the useless decals and stickering.

I have spoken with VW sale executive today, he said roof spoiler and black roof wrapping can be added for Rs. 28000/-

I wont mind not having GT badging, even if I want we can get that at any accessory shop. Not just GT, we can have GTI badge as well
RaceHorse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 01:28   #160
BHPian

Quote:
To clear all confusions:
Thanks for the clarification. Now, the 1.2 GT TSI had ESP and hill hold assist. Not available any more on the The 'New' Polo GT

Quote:
  • Front armrest
  • Rear AC vent
I am not sure why anyone would go for the GT TSI instead of the Highline Plus variant. It does not make any sense.

I am looking for a small hatchback with a decent automatic gearbox. Since a Diesel TC automatic is not available within 10L INR, I will probably have to go for the brand new, just 10 years old, Highline Plus version of Polo GT
Old 12th May 2020, 09:34   #161
BHPian

As expected, new GT is just a sticker job on highline AT. More underwhelming if they also deleted couple of useful features like rear A/C and front armrest. If I had to buy Polo AT, I would rather buy highline variant, and leave out useless GT stickering.
Old 12th May 2020, 13:49   #162
BANNED

Here is a nice comparo of TSI with Nios turbo-
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...parison-417216
Old 12th May 2020, 17:42   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The equipment list is ditto same as it was for 2019 BS4 editions. The GT Line adds the following for INR 38,000 extra
Why can't they get the point that badges and trim are worthless?

Perhaps because buyers haven't got that point yet, I suppose. Wising-up needed!

I'll admit that the spoiler on my GT TDI does look nice. I have no idea whether or not it actually has any aerodynamic effectiveness. But, as for the rest of the list, it is the lacks (for which they are charging extra) that are more note-worthy than the gains.

The entire point to the GT range is not worthless badges: it is enhanced performance. If the same performance is available from Highline then I seriously hope that buyers teach VW a lesson by letting the GTs rust in the stockyards.

(I have no foreseeable plan to buy a new car ( :-( ), so I do skim-read this news: excuse if I made any mistakes)
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 15:53   #164
Senior - BHPian

Are there any reviews on 1.0L TSI motor review with Polo/Vento yet? All reviews point out to new gen Polo. I think one will have to wait for long time for a review of TSi + torque converter which is unique to India.
Old 14th May 2020, 19:18   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Are there any reviews on 1.0L TSI motor review with Polo/Vento yet? All reviews point out to new gen Polo. I think one will have to wait for long time for a review of TSi + torque converter which is unique to India.
The car didn't reach dealers yet. I was told in Chennai that the company will ship once the lockdown ended on May 4, and then it will take 2 weeks to reach here. And that was before the lockdown got extended. I would guess that any cars would only reach dealers by end of May. I'm waiting on a test drive myself.

Most Viewed