Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2020, 22:13   #31
BHPian

Re: What is your ideal three car garage under ₹1,00,00,000 (1 Crore)?

This thread has kept me thinking the entire day and I think I finally have an answer. Since OP is going by ex-showroom prices so will I.

1. BMW 6 Series GT M Sport - ₹75.89 lakh.
2. Kia Seltos HTX IVT G - ₹14.34 lakh.
3. Mahindra Thar CRDe ABS - ₹9.74 lakh

The BMW for long travel etc. The Kia is the daily driver and the Thar for the countryside.
adwaith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 00:23   #32
BHPian

I just need 2 of them or i can say Crore can buy this much only

1) Daily Driver - Used Estoril Blue color 320D M sport coz estoril blue doesnt come anymore with Mocha Interiors ( Seat Upholstery) - 30 Lacs
2) Hills & Outstation - Used XC90 R Design in Crystal White Pearl Metallic with that awesome Bowers & Wilkins 19 Speaker system 70 Lacs
Puneet0051 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 00:32   #33
BHPian

A lot of BMWs, especially the 330i M Sport. Seems like there are a lot of BMW fans, just like me. Even in my dreams I have at least one BMW in the garage preferably an X5, couldn’t even replace it with anything.
Also I see some tasty choices in the replies like Mini Cooper JCW, Porsche Cayman, Carrera (sweet!), Mustang (undoubtedly), etc. even with strict limitations.

I know it was a tight budget to fit in a dream car (brand new) & 2 regular cars (potentially practical & somewhat luxurious). This idea of a Three Car Dream Garage, I think I may have picked up from the old days of Top Gear (my all time favourite car show) with the original hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond & James May. But they did not have a budget to contend with. Since we live in India & most often than not, budget is how we decide things, I thought why not? A crore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
This thread has kept me thinking the entire day and I think I finally have an answer. Since OP is going by ex-showroom prices so will I.
I made a mistake where I mentioned 330i’s price in Ex-Showroom & the rest on-road. I intended to mention everything in Ex-Showroom price. If on-road & service packs for Germans are considered, it’d be at the very least go beyond ₹1.2 Cr.

Thank you everyone for the replies, it was great to read in the different perspectives. I had fun, hope you guys did too.

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 01:20   #34
BHPian

That is a lot of Money to buy and keep cars. But then since we all love anything on wheels - I find myself always wondering which cars and bikes will I buy if and when I have a lot of money to spare

I have never bought a new car/bike. Pre-worshiped is what has been my choice always. So with that I will try to have the following in my parking space:

1) My current ride - 3rd Gen Honda City Arrow design. My first car purchase. Bought used and loving every bit of it. Will keep it until it dies. So part of that money will go in maintaining the car when it grows to vintage age. No money to spend upfront.

2) Innova Crysta for Family comfort and for self comfort when I want someone else to drive. Spacious, powerful enough and rugged to take abuse that our roads usually throw at our cars. Not to forget this thing also commands good respect on the high from fellow drivers. A good and recent used one can be had at 15 lacs.

3) A used but well maintained Mini Cooper JCW for that go-kart feeling. Should cost about 25 lacs. This will be a great fun to drive car and will be a better experience than a 3 series or a C-class AMG. It may not be as comfortable as those but I don't need that here.

This takes care of nostalgia, utility and fun-to-drive factors when it comes to cars. But I am still left with 60 lacs and that is a lot of money for bikes. The only thing that is missing here is lux badge but I am not very keen on one. A used German is hard to maintain if it is old and expensive to buy if it is recent. So no point in getting one. Lux Japs or others don't have that badge value and are typically boring to ride.

But if I have to add one for whatever reason (and there can be many reasons to buy a car when you have the money. Say for example Family wanting one or my desire changing with age and experience) - I will add a used X5 Diesel. This has looks, power, image and comfort. Everything needed in one package. A new one comes for about 90L so a good used one should come for about 50L. For the rest of the 10L - I will just keep money to enjoy my rides and accessorize them if needed.

However, this isn't the end of the story

I am unlikely to add the X5 to the garage given my current desires and I am more than likely to spend the money on bikes. So I will add:

1) A DIY Yamaha RX100 fully restored and improved upon. Let us say it will cost me about 1L for everything to get it road worthy.

2) A used Ducati Multistrada 1260 Enduro. Nothing beats the charm, the adrenaline rush and the experience of owing and riding one. A well kitted new one comes for about 25L+ on-road so lets say a used one will set me back by 15L.

3) A used Ninja H2R - Who calls himself a bike lower and doesn't want a fully fared supercharged monster in their garage? Tell me, is there a person like that? For those rare track days, this garage queen will be all that will ever be needed. Kawasaki has done to bikes what Suzuki, with their Hayabusa, had done decades back. It is on the poster on the back of the door of every bike lover's room. The last one was about 90L on-road in India and the new one will cost nearly the same, if not more. So I should get one for the left over 44L, shouldn't I? Some may say that the S1000RR, RSV4 or even teh Panigale V4 will server the purpose. But hey, we are talking about getting the best here with all the money.

4) Now I am running short of money. Please lend me more. If possible, at 0% interest rates please. The list of my dream bikes is not small. And for regular errands, I already have an Activa at home to carry those grocery bags.

Last edited by sunilch : 4th August 2020 at 01:25.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 08:57   #35
BHPian

The list includes 2 cars and a motorcycle.

1. Range Rover Defender - 70 Lakhs
The go anywhere car, offroad, on-road,hills,pond,river what ever you name it. This I will buy a new one as it should stays with me for at least 10 years.

2. TATA Altroz - 7 Lakhs
Wifey's car and for all local errands. You might be thinking why I want for a premium car for this? Safety. When you are rich enough to spend 10M, why compromise safety on other sides? GNCAP rating for the Altroz is the checkpoint.

3. Triumph Tiger - 20 Lakhs
A fully loaded top end with all fancy accessories which should carry me around the nation without hurdles.

Now I request someone transfer the 10MINR to my account so that I can make the booking tomorrow
starke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 10:04   #36
BHPian

It is difficult to select the 3 car garage even with an imaginary 1crore budget. My choices will be as follows;

1. BMW 330i M sport - for my sheer driving pleasure. ~60 lakhs

2. Innova Crysta 2.4ZX AT 7 seater - for the family outings. ~30 lakhs

3. Used Duster AWD - for city runabout and mild off-road drives. 5-7 Lakhs (provided it's in good condition)

I'm not a bike guy so remaining amount will be used for scooters for shorter commute.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 10:14   #37
BHPian

So all the cars im gonna list are used as new car prices are nuts in India with all the tax imposed on them.

1. BMW E92 M3(preferably manual) around 35 lakhs.

2. Land Cruiser 200, 2010 models are going for around 40 lakhs.

3. Honda Civic FD for around 5 lakhs .

Rest of the money for mods and maintenance.
Revmatch99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 10:37   #38
BHPian

We have a family of 4 (including the parents) in which only me and the wifey drives. The ideal garage for us in 1 crore (which is a lot of money btw) would be:

1. A Bmw 320d sport (BMW has just launched it quitely at 42.10 lakh ex-showroom), for some driving pleasure. Will prefer it over 330i just for a diesel engine.

2. A skoda kodiaq (for that affordable luxurious SUV feel).

3. A pre-owned but well maintained Mahindra Thar (for the take it anywhere confidence).

4. I’d slip in a Tiago as well in the mix if a hatch is required (not very likely though, 3 cars are more than enough)
ShivWason17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 10:45   #39
BHPian

Interesting thread, it will be combination of 4 & 2 wheels for me.

1) Abarth Punto (1.1 mio)
2) Toyota Fortuner 4X4 MT (4 mio)
3) MG ZS EV Exclusive (3 mio)
4) KTM Duke 390 (0.3 mio)
5) Ducati Multistrada 1260S (2 mio)

This will cover all my requirements - city commutes, spirited highway drives & off road adventures. Hot hatch, 4X4 SUV, EV, Street fighter naked bike and fully loaded enduro bike.
Swap_Abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 11:17   #40

I would like to go the Preowned way
1. Used S60 Polestar-42L((finding one is a huge problem), for that enthusiastic weekend drive
2. Used GLE350-48L, for visits to parties and other ceremonies
3. Used Innova (2013-2014 model Maybe), for regular visits to my farm.
TwinTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 11:21   #41
BHPian

I am assuming I do not get to retain my Volvo S60, W-RV & Glanza CVT, There are only two cars i will go for, i am somehow so comfortable driving a full size SUV in narrow lanes that i do not feel the need of a smaller car, I would add a Polo to the list just in case i realize the need later

1. Ford Endeavor - Rs 40 Lakhs
2. BMW 530i M Sport - Rs 60 Lakhs
M.Dua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 11:21   #42
BHPian

My pick would be,

CARS:
1. Kia Seltos DCT (~18 Lakhs) - The daily driver.

2. Ford Endeavour/ Toyota Fortuner (~40 Lakhs) - For the off-road enthusiast in me and for family road trips

3. Honda City ZX Diesel (~17 Lakhs) - Chauffeur driven Family car and for Highway cruising.

BIKES:
1. Honda CBR1000R/ Kawasaki ZX-10RR (~ 20 Lakhs) - I'm a huge fan of Litre class bikes and will be used for Weekend rides

2. RE Himalayan (~2 Lakh) - For daily city rides and for off-road trails
mr_freakky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 11:30   #43
Team-BHP Support

This isn't as tough as I initially thought, when I properly looked at the budget and it was 1cr, and the question is just restricted to cars. I'm a sucker for having different vehicles in the garage for different roles, rather than have one car trying to be a jack of all, master of none. Since this is just a dream list anyway, here goes:

1. A fast rocket sedan - BMW M2 Competition - either preworshipped or else a new one under heavy discounts/negotiations when they have their clearance sales. 410hp monster sedan with rear wheel drive for all the fun one can ever imagine, on tarmac. I don't really need the rear seats since it is always a 2-seater for me when out on the open roads. M2's luggage space is good enough even for long trips for a couple. This will be the primary weekend fun tool. I'd budget 80L for this (hey this is just hypothetical anyway ).

2. A Rugged go anywhere 4x4 vehicle like the Thar 4x4 Crde, either the old one or the new one, I don't care. Initially I was always a sedan guy and never a SUV fan, but after the better half's craze for one and the subsequent purchase and usage of the Thar for our travelling started, I have grown to respect its versatile abilities. Minimal electronics, minimal fuss, ability to take it and travel anywhere and everywhere without batting an eyelid. Heck, will go offroading as well. I don't like big, fancy SUVs or the additional electronics. Service? Cheap. Problems? No issues, every small town in every nook and corner of the country has a Mahindra garage. I'll budget 15L for this, assuming the upcoming generation Thar is probably 5L more than the outgoing gen.

3. A City beater hatch with peppy driveability and preferably an automatic. Should be a reasonably fun pocket rocket whilst also being fuss-free on maintenance and should be practical for multi-tasking. I'd go with something like a Brio automatic or a Polo GT TSI for this. I'd prefer a preworshipped option and budget 5L for this role. These three add up to 1cr totally, leaving me with nothing in the pocket, lol!

Twist in the tale: We already have the Thar and the Brio AT bought in the recent 2 years, so I'll use the full 1cr budget for the M2 Competition and attain nirvana by completing the garage!

P.S - fallback option in case the M2 doesn't work out - 330i M Sport, or M340i if they launch it here.

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th August 2020 at 11:35.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 11:32   #44
BHPian

This question is difficult to answer as we all know there are so many fantastic options to choose from but here are my three cars under 1 crore
1) Skoda kodiaq (33 lakhs) - For the weekend trips with family
2) Nexon ev (18 lakhs ) - This would be my daily driver in the city
3) Skoda Octavia vrs(45 lakhs) - This would be my go to for spirited drives and I would spend the money left for performance mods on the vrs
aansh singhania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 11:35   #45
BHPian

My Garage (all new) with consist of the following.

1. BMW 330 i Sport Petrol : ~ 50 Lakhs with discount. For personal driving pleasure & the star of the garage

2. Hyundai Kona Electric: ~ 26 Lakhs. City / Daily Work Run about. Will be the most used car so might as well spend a bit more than the Nexon EV

3. Toyota Innova Crysta GX AT : ~22 Lakhs. People mover for those long journeys + My family will kill me If I drive around in a BMW and all they get is a Renault Triber or Ertiga.

+ Scooter for short runs,
+ RE Interceptor.

Last edited by charanreddy : 4th August 2020 at 11:36.
charanreddy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed