Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2023, 20:58   #976
BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Just applied for road tax refund in Delhi. Posting the document list below in case it helps someone.

1. Application for refund of Road Tax - there is no fixed format. You basically type a letter stating the facts and sign it. Do include your bank account number and your mailing address where you want to receive the refund check/draft
2. GAR-33 - this one's basically an internal government form required by the RTO to release the refund. However, you will need to sign and submit it during the application, even though it states that you've already received the refund. If you can't get the form online, have the RTO print it out for you. They did for me.
3. You will need to affix a revenue stamp on the GAR-33 form as well. So, take it along to the RTO. Else you will have to run to the post office to buy one.
4. Road tax paid at Delhi RTO during vehicle purchase. This should be there in your original vehicle papers.
5. Road tax paid at your new state. This you would have got when you got the new number + RC at the new state
6. Your Aadhaar - if it shows your new address, that'll be good
7. PAN Card
8. A cancelled check for the account in which you want the refund to verify the account belongs to you.
9. RC of vehicle from Delhi
10.RC of vehicle in new state. If you still haven't received your RC card, you can download it from Digilocker and submit a copy.
11. Your address proof in new state to show you have relocated to the new state
12. Current and valid PUC
13. Current and valid Insurance. Get the new registration number endorsed on the insurance certificate.
14. RTO Form 16 duly filled
15. Copy of NOC issued by Delhi RTO when you moved states
16. An affidavit stating that you are the first and original owner of the vehicle and that you were the one who paid the Road tax originally to Delhi government and that now you are the one applying for refund.

The affidavit should really not be required as all documents, including original and new RC and the road tax paid receipts are all in your name. But, who would argue with the babus.

Please self attest the documents.

No chassis print was required.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by rovingeye : 9th August 2023 at 21:07. Reason: Added missing detail
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 16:15   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
4. Road tax paid at Delhi RTO during vehicle purchase. This should be there in your original vehicle papers.
In my case, road tax was paid by the dealer through their account directly to the TN treasury department as part of online registration. So I had to get a letter from the dealer saying they paid Rs X on date Y to the treasury for registration (reference number / vehicle number etc details from the challan they received), and that car has been sold to Mr [my name] as the first owner of the vehicle. The TN RTO clerk showed me a standard format from some other person's car, which the dealer copied and got attested by his bank.

Quite a run around .. this procedure will happily vary as per the RTO and as per the clerk's whim.
Old 12th August 2023, 16:06   #978
BHPian

Last year, I transferred my father's XUV 500(which was over 9 years old then) registered in Noida, UP to Guwahati, Assam(hometown). The NOC at Noida RTO took around 5K INR(including under-the-table and tout fees). I paid a road tax of over 30K in Guwahati RTO and also got a new number. Even before asking for NOC, I asked the tout about the Refund process at Noida RTO. He said they don't handle refunds and it's almost impossible.

A few months later when I was back in Noida, I visited the RTO and called the tout. He told me to meet a few senior RTO officials. Later, they gave weird reasons as I should have applied for a refund immediately(within 60 days or so) after paying the road tax at Guwahati. Moreover, they said you have used over 9 years and the life of diesel vehicles is 10 years only. (Although the road tax duration as per official rules is for 15 years).

The same day I met the tout, he said the hassle is not worth because even if I am eligible for a refund of over 35K, a significant part of the refund due will have to be paid a bribe upfront.
skywalker18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 17:14   #979
BHPian

I am in the process of transferring the registration of my Wagon R from RTA 02 Mumbai to Hyderabad NZ. The vehicle has been inspected and the Life Time Tax has been paid on 30 August 2023. When returning the papers along with the receipt, the clerk mentioned that I need to do an online slot booking to be allotted a TS Regn No.

As I have not appointed an agent to get the transfer done, I visited the TS Transport Department website. However, I am unable to locate the service relating to the transfer from another state and in case of a fresh registration booking slot, which technically is what I am doing, requires a T/R NO.

Can anyone familiar with the navigation of this site assist. Frankly, after going through the grind, I am loathe to employ an agent at this late stage.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 17:08   #980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
I am in the process of transferring the registration of my Wagon R from RTA 02 Mumbai to Hyderabad NZ. The vehicle has been inspected and the Life Time Tax has been paid on 30 August 2023. When returning the papers along with the receipt, the clerk mentioned that I need to do an online slot booking to be allotted a TS Regn No.

As I have not appointed an agent to get the transfer done, I visited the TS Transport Department website. However, I am unable to locate the service relating to the transfer from another state and in case of a fresh registration booking slot, which technically is what I am doing, requires a T/R NO.

Can anyone familiar with the navigation of this site assist. Frankly, after going through the grind, I am loathe to employ an agent at this late stage.
Hello there, Please get in touch with the nearest meeseva branch, they might be of help. They used to accept payment for green tax few years back.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.-meeseva-rta-services.png  

irs_2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 04:06   #981

I am in Bangalore and am considering buying an old 1990's Japanese car currently registered in Mumbai. The Mumbai registration is valid till 2024. If I were to get an NOC from Mumbai will I be able to register the car in Bangalore in my name or will they make it impossible for me to register the car here? Will the car have to undergo a fitness test prior to registration in Bangalore and will they ask for the original invoice of the car to be produced? If anyone has done this before then will appreciate their inputs. I dont mind going through an agent but the agents over here are unscrupulous and they have not given me the confidence that they can register the car. I dont want to end up in a position of buying the car and then not being able to transfer it in my name but I do want this car so will appreciate any suggestions from anyone who knows if this can be done. Thank you.
Old 4th November 2023, 08:14   #982
BHPian

It is possible. You have to obtain NOC from the RTO in Mumbai where it is registered. With the NOC you have to apply at the jurisdictional RTO in Bangalore (depends on your address) for transfer of the vehicle to Bangalore. They will inform the amount of tax to be paid (depends on the age of the vehicle). The tax is calculated based on the value in the original invoice. After payment of tax you will have to produce the car for inspection. You will get the new RC within three months. The forms are available in shops near the RTO office. No need of going through agents. You will have to go to the RTO office two or three times.
jathin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 17:38   #983

Quote:
Originally Posted by jathin View Post
It is possible. You have to obtain NOC from the RTO in Mumbai where it is registered. With the NOC you have to apply at the jurisdictional RTO in Bangalore (depends on your address) for transfer of the vehicle to Bangalore. They will inform the amount of tax to be paid (depends on the age of the vehicle). The tax is calculated based on the value in the original invoice. After payment of tax you will have to produce the car for inspection. You will get the new RC within three months. The forms are available in shops near the RTO office. No need of going through agents. You will have to go to the RTO office two or three times.
Thanks very much! With regards to the tax being charged on original invoice value, is there any way to determine the original invoice value because I am sure the original invoice is not available as it its a 1990's model car plus its an import? Thats the one area where I am stuck because there is no original invoice available for an import so how do we handle this scenario?
Old 4th November 2023, 22:41   #984
BHPian

Cost of the vehicle in respect of an imported vehicle, is the value endorsed in the Bill of Entry assessed under the Customs Act together with the customs duty/penalty levied by the Customs Department. 13% to 18% of that cost is the lifetime tax at the time of registration of the new vehicle, depending on that cost. If the age of the vehicle from the month of registration is more than 14 years but less than 15 years, 29% of the life time tax is levied now.

So copy of the Bill of Entry will be required for calculating the tax.
The taxation schedule as on December 2018 is available in the link below:
https://transport.karnataka.gov.in/s...20Schedule.pdf.

It is better to contact the RTO office to know the updated tax rates and procedure.

For a 14 year old Hyundai i10, I paid about Rs.20,000 as tax and no other charges. I got the work done without any agent. An agent had quoted double that amount.
jathin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 17:26   #985
BHPian

I recently moved to Gurgaon for 2 years. I plan to buy a diesel, BS4 car, first registered in 2019. The RC says Registration Validity till 2034 which is now only 10 years till 2029 with the revised guidelines.

1. Say I register the car in 2023 in my name, will the new RC mention Registration Valid upto 2029?

2. Can I claim road tax refund in 2025 after I get the NOC from Gurgaon RTO and register in Bangalore? or is the refund only given to the first owner of the car who purchased it new?

3. If I request road tax refund in 2025, will the refund be pro rata for the balance 9 years or 4 years?

4. Or do I right away get the NOC for the car to Bangalore, register there and continue to use it in Gurgaon which could be 2 years or less? and request for refund now for the balance 11 years as per the current RC and the new RC which I will get in Bangalore after I pay the hefty road tax there? both will say Registration Validity until 2034. This will also help minimize RTO interaction to only one time and also help solve any hiccups in the refund process as I will be present in Gurgaon. Ownership change will also be only one time on the RC.

Look forward to your inputs.

Last edited by bharatbits : 27th November 2023 at 17:46.
Old 10th December 2023, 22:09   #986

Hi all,

I am from Jaipur and I am trying to get my recently bought pre owned car transferred to my company's name that I have bought recently from Kanpur. My company is in Jaipur, and the car is Kanpur registered.

As per my research and discussions, Kanpur RTO is not transferring my car on the firms name. They are, however, okay doing it on individuals name. Apparently they require the company's address proof that it has operations in Kanpur as well. I don't think there should be any issues if I get a rent agreement and show that as my address proof there in Kanpur, but this seems impossible as well. Would anyone be able to help? Or share some contacts from Kanpur RTO who would be able to cooperate?
Old 21st December 2023, 11:08   #987
BHPian

I transferred my Wagon R registration from MH 02 to TS 10. After completing all the formalities, which included payment of the road tax in TS, I filed Form 33 viz. Change of Address at which time the car was inspected a second time.

Yesterday, I received the Registration Certificate issued by TS and was taken aback surprised that the MH number continues as the Registration Number. Doesn't the Registration Number change when a car is transferred to a different state? If so, do I have to apply for a change of Registration Number?

Please advise as I don't want to have to pay penalties for driving around without correct number plates?
Old 1st January 2024, 01:19   #988
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Attached screenshot says that I can claim refund only if I am moving to a state charging road tax at a lower rate. Does this mean I can’t claim road tax refund if I am moving my car from Maharashtra to Karnataka ? Considering higher road tax rate in Karnataka
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.-img_6121.jpeg  

Old 1st January 2024, 12:50   #989

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
My safari has a MH registration and is here in Delhi/Gurgaon 2002. I've never been stopped till date by the RTO or the cops regarding road-tax issues. Touch-wood...!!
Having lived and known people from multiple states, this is not an issue in the North. Our first car was a Punjab registered car running in J&K. I had a J&K registered car and a motorcycle running in Maharashtra for over 6 years without issue. Move southwards (KA, KL, AP, TS) and you will be stopped for an out-of-state registered vehicle.

In the North, as long as you possess all the valid documents they won't ask anything else. During the lockdown, I moved my MH registered motorcycle to J&K for almost 2 years, no issue at all.
Old 16th January 2024, 23:42   #990
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I hope you are well. Here is my situation and I am hoping you can help me with this, please.

I moved from Mumbai to Bangalore in 2012. And I had taken the NOC in favour of KA51 from Mumbai RTO. However, we stayed in Bangalore for 2 years and under a different jurisdiction. So, I wasn't able to re-register the vehicles.

Now I have lived in Visakhapatnam, since 2014. My Bike's 15-year registration will expire in March and my Car has a couple of years of validity. For re-registering these, I need an NUC from Bangalore and then go to Mumbai to get new NOCs for AP31.

Would you know the cost of getting NUC from KA51, including any penalties as I am applying for these after 12 years? If it will be a lot of hassle, then I will look to scrap the vehicles here in due course. Please let me know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks