Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2020, 10:43   #841
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

The MV act says you have upto a year before you have to change registration.

As the below says some constables will shake down out of state vehicles a bit more aggressively for traffic fines .. stop them and verify all documents to see if a lapsed pollution certificate or no insurance xerox can be turned into a fine.

You can't sell the car in Gurgaon if it still has Karnataka plates and no HR road tax paid. Road tax is almost all that you will need to pay, with some % reduced based on the age of the car.

As the cops don't enquire too much stick to your KA registration, and bring it back to Karnataka when you are going to sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
He would say that as vehicle is non local, they will confiscate documents and come to court and all. He would be confusing you with a tourist. Tell them you live there only. Don't be scared, be firm and yield a little. Adjust maadi.
3) Not applicable.
4) Not changing (or even worrying about) registration is the best option, irrespective of where you wish to sell the car.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 16:39   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNG-motorhead View Post
I'm in the same boat, HR26 to KA process, could you help me with process? I'm already in Karnataka with the car, please if you could guide me. Also, was hiring the agent helpful?
You need to get the NOC from Gurgaon first, as others have mentioned, before you can start the process here.
I am yet to initiate the process in Bangalore and still talking to some guys to finalize on the agent. But intend to start transfer process soon. So PM next month and I should be able to share the details. Meanwhile you can go through this detailed process: https://sagaranjos.blogspot.com/2018...her-state.html, if not done already. I found this very informative
Old 13th December 2020, 17:17   #843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Transferred my car from HR to KA in 2018.
Below was the tax calculation break up.
Hope this helps.

Attachment 2092183
Did you get the refund of the tax from HR? Is it true that the refund is applicable only if the owner transfers the car to his/her name only when changing states and not if you sell the car in the new state? Anybody can clarify this if done already?
Old 13th December 2020, 19:40   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Did you get the refund of the tax from HR? Is it true that the refund is applicable only if the owner transfers the car to his/her name only when changing states and not if you sell the car in the new state? Anybody can clarify this if done already?
I have tried various avenues to get a refund from Faridabad RTO and the response that I get is there is no procedure to get a refund.

Any suggestions on how should I go about claiming the refund now?
Old 13th December 2020, 19:50   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
I have tried various avenues to get a refund from Faridabad RTO and the response that I get is there is no procedure to get a refund.

Of course there is a procedure once you have cancelled the registration in one state and moved your car's registration to another.

Long and complex process so search back in this thread for the posts I made. You need for example a CRTM certificate from the destination RTO where you re registered your car.
Old 13th December 2020, 21:18   #846
BHPian

Quote:
STEP 5 : APPLYING FOR REFUND FROM OLD RTO

DOCUMENTS
1) FORM DT (APPLICATION FOR REFUND OF TAX) *
2) Refund Request Letter (mentioning residential address and bank account details)
3) RC issued by new RTO (notarized copy)
4) RC issued by old RTO (notarized copy)
5) NOC issued by old RTO (copy)
6) Road Tax Receipt issued by old RTO (copy)
7) Road Tax Receipt issued by new RTO (copy)
8) Address proof in new state (copy)
9) PUC (copy)
10) Insurance (copy)
11) Cancelled cheque of the bank account
12) Pencil tracing of chassis number
13) CRTI intimation (applicable only if you are getting the refund from Karnataka)

This is from the link in my above post...The guy got the refund from RTO in Mumbai after transferring to Karnataka

Last edited by JKBKS : 13th December 2020 at 21:20.
JKBKS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 09:14   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post

DOCUMENTS
2) Refund Request Letter (mentioning residential address and bank account details)
9) PUC (copy)
10) Insurance (copy)
13) CRTI intimation (applicable only if you are getting the refund from Karnataka)

This is from the link in my above post...The guy got the refund from RTO in Mumbai after transferring to Karnataka
And can we estimate the refund amount? I'm assuming it will be pro-rata basis. So thinking if its even worth the effort..
Old 14th December 2020, 10:00   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post

DOCUMENTS
9) PUC (copy)
10) Insurance (copy)

Thanks for the details. The documents list and procedure I had found on this thread. But suggestions I would need is where to submit these documents? In RTO office folks say that refund is not possible.
Old 14th December 2020, 10:42   #849
BHPian

Quote:
And can we estimate the refund amount? I'm assuming it will be pro-rata basis. So thinking if its even worth the effort..
Theirs's a lifetime tax calculator tool on the link shared by me. It gives both the refund amount and tax to be paid once you fill in your vehicle related details
Old 14th December 2020, 10:45   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the details. The documents list and procedure I had found on this thread. But suggestions I would need is where to submit these documents? In RTO office folks say that refund is not possible.
You need to submit the refund documents (as per the list) at the original RTO. Then use the RTI to get them to process your refund. This process is also mentioned in the link, if read carefully
Old 14th December 2020, 10:46   #851
KPR
BANNED

Nowadays I'm seeing many ADs that say NOC can be arranged for buying used car/bike from other state too. If that is the case is NOC of seller is sufficient to re register to buyer's name from different state?
Old 14th December 2020, 17:19   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Nowadays I'm seeing many ADs that say NOC can be arranged for buying used car/bike from other state too. If that is the case is NOC of seller is sufficient to re register to buyer's name from different state?
Yes. But the rest of the re registration headache is yours.
Old 15th December 2020, 16:07   #853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No I just got the car here(situational necessity) So I like maintaining cars and have a 9.8 yr old Skoda Fabia, the residual tax refund from HR would be under 10K I assume, planning to let it go. Its in my dad’s name. NoC is costing abt 3K via agent. So id be able to apply in KA for a reregistration.

Plan is to get NoC, apply for transfer of ownership in KA(without my dad being here), pay LTT, get KA registration.

Planning to get the agent only for the NoC part. Rest self managed in KA.

Does this sound reasonable?
Almost did the same for my car.
However, the ownership transfer and NOC was done in HR. Only re registration was done in KA.

It would be easier and cheaper to do ownership transfer in HR rather than KA. The more steps you bring into KA, more expensive the whole deal will become.

Quote:
Thanks!! Did you self manage or got an agent to help out. Do refer the agent if he/she is reliable.
It was through an agent. My friend was buying a new car from showroom and the sales guy out of goodwill helped me with re registration along with the new car registration work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I didn't claim the refund from HR. I was informed that it will only get complicated and consume lot of effort/time which is not worth it.
Old 3rd January 2021, 11:53   #854
BHPian

Dilemma of an Indian Car lover

Hi All,

I believe this has been addressed multiple times here but still I have my own doubts. I have a DL vehicle and was driving in Bangalore for sometime. Came back to Delhi in October 2020 and may go back in late Jan or in Feb 2021. Now the dilemma is that I can drive my vehicle for 11 months but not sure if I am gonna be staying there for long, anyways this is still manageable. The bigger problem is mine is a diesel vehicle and is nearly 8 Years old. And even if I come back to Delhi, won't be able to drive it further as it would have aged out as per the current scenario of ban on 10years old Diesel Vehicles in Delhi

As far as I can see, I have two options:

1. Sell it in Delhi itself - Low resale value and hence loss
2. Do a Registration transfer to KA and then sell it there.. may get some better value. But the cost of re-registration + tax may equate with option 1 itself.

Another problem is I love to drive my car till date and given a choice wouldn't want to go for any of the above options..

PS: its a 2013 Diesel Ecosport
Mickey1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 15:06   #855
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dilemma of an Indian Car lover

Tough choice.
Personally, I avoid RTO/NOC stuff. If I have to move states I would sell it off and then buy another at the new location. I know it wastes money but I consider it a price for avoiding the hassles.

For your situation :
1. Assuming a stay of less than a year and a move back to Delhi : Check the resale value for a 9-10 year old Ecosport diesel in Bangalore, check the process and cost of RC transfer and evaluate if it makes sense to do it.
2. Assuming a stay of 2+ years in Bangalore : transfer the registration and get a KA number, sell it off with at least 3 years remaining.

Pretty harsh to let go of a perfectly fine car but not in our hands.
Only silver lining is that it gives a chance to try something different, hopefully better

Note : After reading a few TBHP threads on used cars like this, I am more inclined towards buying a used car at the next location and sell it off before moving again. Will I do it or not, I am not sure yet but this does make sense.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks