Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2022, 08:48   #901
BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Hello friends,

I am looking to register my 4+ year old POLO GT TSI in Bangalore. Purchase was in Delhi. I know I can drive for one year and so far, in last few months no one has stopped the car for the number plate. However, for peace of mind, it might be best to get this registered and cleaned up. No plans to sell the car as the car is a hoot drive and many memories attached to it.

I wanted to know how best to estimate the tax to be paid in bangalore for the 4 year old car. Has any one successfully registered the car in Bangalore from other state (esp Delhi) and managed to get the taxes back?

Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 17:47   #902
BHPian

Dear all,

I am in the process of buying a used car. I am buying the car from Gujarat and the current owner is helping me with obtaining the NOC.

I am reaching out to you to see if you can guide me regarding the re-registration process in TN and if it is worth my time and effort to do it in person or should I get an agent ?
The current owner has only a scanned copy of the original Invoice of the car is this okay ?
How will the road be calculated here ? It says 6% of invoice value on some websites, but some agents were mentioning 8%. The car is 2009 manufactured and 2009 registed in Gujarat.

Looking forward to your guidance.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 18:02   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
Hello friends,

I am looking to register my 4+ year old POLO GT TSI in Bangalore. Purchase was in Delhi. I know I can drive for one year and so far, in last few months no one has stopped the car for the number plate. However, for peace of mind, it might be best to get this registered and cleaned up. No plans to sell the car as the car is a hoot drive and many memories attached to it.

I wanted to know how best to estimate the tax to be paid in bangalore for the 4 year old car. Has any one successfully registered the car in Bangalore from other state (esp Delhi) and managed to get the taxes back?

Thanks
I moved from Pune to Bangalore around 6 months back. Got the NoC for the car and bike from Pune (two different RTOs), paid the tax in Blore (KR Puram) and registered it all on my own. An agent had quoted me 40K for doing both which I thought was on the far higher side and hence propelled me to do things on my own.

The tax I paid on an 8 year car in Blore was higher than what I had paid for it brand new in Pune though!

For your 4-5 year old car, you would need to pay 75% of the current road tax in Blore. For e.g, if your invoice values was 10 lakhs or more, the current tax rate in Blore is 17% which is 170000. The figure you would be looking is 75% of that which would be 127500 + Registration Charges

Got the RC recently for both but the numbers didnt change. So have a MH numbered vehicle with registering authority as KR Puram and RC issued by Government of Karnataka!

Yet to check the process for getting the tax refund back from Pune though.

Last edited by JayKis : 24th February 2022 at 18:13.
JayKis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 11:24   #904
BHPian

Re: Transferring a TN registered car to KL - full detailed process

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Transferring a car from one state to another should be something that is simple and easily done online. Especially today, when the Govt has not only linked State RTOs into Parivahan, but also has access to all information about you, your vehicle, it's insurance, its Pollution Under Check (PUC) certificate etc.
Thanks for the amazing toolkit.

Just a query.

I have highlighted three places in your post above when address proofs are required. What documents are acceptable as this proof?

Also, which place's address proof is to be submitted? Old in TN and new in Kerala?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th March 2022 at 12:08. Reason: quote content trimmed
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 11:31   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
The tax I paid on an 8 year car in Blore was higher than what I had paid for it brand new in Pune though!

The figure you would be looking is 75% of that which would be 127500 + Registration Charges

Yet to check the process for getting the tax refund back from Pune though.
How was your tax in KA more than the tax in MH? That too for a depreciated car in years. Surprising.

In addition to the depreciated road tax, there is also a cess of 11% on the computed tax which will applicable along with the registration charges.

Getting a refund from MH is a painful task. One of the BHPians had done this for a MH RTO and it took him almost an year + had to resort to using RTI. Although things have been simplified in the Parivahan portal, this is one area which still hasnt been touched by the govt unfortunately making the inter state transfers seamless. I guess thats the reason the govt came out with BH registrations, no need for the state tax refunds or payments.
Old 14th March 2022, 23:29   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Pay the required taxes and fees at RTO. New RC should reach you in a week.
The Kerala part could be done yourself and is straightforward - no need for any agents or bribe. Atleast not in KL-31 RTO.

Hope this helps.

Can I ask you how much road tax you paid in Kerala. The website mentions 7% and below based only on the age of the vehicle but does not mention any extra charges based on the initial invoice value. Normally a car with invoice above 20l is charged around 20% of invoice as registration tax. I'm wondering if I could buy a higher end 2 year old used car from outside the state and re-register it in Kerala by paying just 5-6% of invoice value as roadtax or whether it will be be 18%.
Old 15th March 2022, 00:49   #907
BHPian

It’s surprising how I stumbled across this thread today.
We recently shifted to Pune from Hyderabad and I decided to take my Ninja out for a little spin and also do some chores.
I decided to keep a copy of invoice of movers and packers highlighting transfer of my bike from Hyderabad to Pune happened in January 2022.
As my luck would have it, cops decided to stop me and demanded for papers, I provided them with all the documents then they requested to see NOC. I politely informed that I recently shifted in Pune and bike has been brought here in January I.e 2 months back. They took my bike’s keys out and weren’t willing to let go until I got in touch with few of my contacts. They were adamant that you need to have NOC from RTO as soon as you leave a city, there is no such rule as 12 months grace period.
Last week twice my car was stopped because of TS numberplate and on Friday it was almost towed away while other cars in same area weren’t even touched.

The problem is that my current car has running loan in Hyderabad and it would be a huge financial burden to close it, then get it registered here and pay road tax again, hence I have decided to sell off my Car. I plan on getting my Ninja transferred to MH as soon as possible.

Last edited by BleueNinja : 15th March 2022 at 00:51.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 12:16   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How was your tax in KA more than the tax in MH? That too for a depreciated car in years. Surprising.

In addition to the depreciated road tax, there is also a cess of 11% on the computed tax which will applicable along with the registration charges.

Getting a refund from MH is a painful task. One of the BHPians had done this for a MH RTO and it took him almost an year + had to resort to using RTI. Although things have been simplified in the Parivahan portal, this is one area which still hasnt been touched by the govt unfortunately making the inter state transfers seamless. I guess thats the reason the govt came out with BH registrations, no need for the state tax refunds or payments.
When I bought the car in Pune, the road tax was 9%. The current road tax in Karnataka for an equivalently priced car is 14%.
The road tax for a old car (7 years when NOC was issued) is 59% of that.
So 59% of that 14% makes 8.26% of Invoice. Plus additional CESS of 11% makes it 9.17%.

9.17 > 9.00

Yeah, I need to get a refund from the MH RTO which is the most cumbersome activity.
Having checked Parivahan, couldnt find any thing on getting a RTO Tax refund. Hope that I dont have to go to Pune to submit the documents.
Also MH has this ridiculous rule that the RTO tax refund should be applied within 6 months of issuing the NoC.

Last edited by JayKis : 15th March 2022 at 12:26.
JayKis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 13:44   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I bought the car in Pune, the road tax was 9%. The current road tax in Karnataka for an equivalently priced car is 14%.
The road tax for a old car (7 years when NOC was issued) is 59% of that.
So 59% of that 14% makes 8.26% of Invoice. Plus additional CESS of 11% makes it 9.17%.

9.17 > 9.00
You are comparing apples with oranges actually. Different time periods actually.

Quote:
Hope that I dont have to go to Pune to submit the documents.
Also MH has this ridiculous rule that the RTO tax refund should be applied within 6 months of issuing the NoC.
Unfortunately you will need to go to Pune for submitting the documents, handle the unwanted glares, maybe grease some palms too if you need that amount. all this within 6 months or else you can goodbye your tax paid amount.
Old 15th March 2022, 17:00   #910
BHPian

Mods: If you believe some thread in the What Car section is more apt, kindly move this post there.

We have a 2011 i10 (with CNG kit) lying in NCR. The car has done appx 190000 KM. Although it is somewhat beaten down, but it still drives alright.

It's not getting driven much as there is no one to drive it nowadays.

As the life here in Bangalore getting back to 'normal', we were pondering to get it here so that my wife could drive it. It's going to supplement the Activa for shorter/within city distances.

Motivation:
1) While we plan to buy electric/auto car down the road, I want my wife to learn stick shift cars first. I consider this as a life skill (for emergencies and sharing load on long drives).
2) This is a known car.
3) We'll not need to spend a lot on LTT (invoice value was 4.1 L).
4) As there isn't much of an upfront cost, we could keep it for as much long we want and buy something new with exchanging it, whenever we want (ideally before renewal in Oct 2026).

Hesitation:
1) Old car on CNG

Question:
1) What will be the cost for agent for the transfer for this car?
2) How many of you can recommend driving such old car down south from NCR? In most ways, cargo seems better option, but, I'll some time available in May if I want to do this.
Old 17th March 2022, 13:49   #911

Friends, I am considering making an offer to purchase my an Audi A8 (Delhi) 2014 model, first owner, for use in Karnataka.

I foresee a road tax payment of approximately 10L to register the car here in Bangalore.

Could anyone shed light on what the approximate road tax refund in Delhi could be? The ex showroom price is approximately 80L. I plan to factor this refund amount in the offer I make for the car.

Also, has anyone here successfully received their refund from a Delhi RTO through the application + RTI route? What was the time frame involved?

Thank you for your inputs and time.
Old 18th March 2022, 14:42   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
I have highlighted three places in your post above when address proofs are required. What documents are acceptable as this proof?
Also, which place's address proof is to be submitted? Old in TN and new in Kerala?
IIRC, old address proof in TN & new in KL. (In TN, I think I gave my Passport copy. In KL, I think they insist on Aadhar.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Can I ask you how much road tax you paid in Kerala. The website mentions 7% and below based only on the age of the vehicle but does not mention any extra charges based on the initial invoice value. Normally a car with invoice above 20l is charged around 20% of invoice as registration tax. I'm wondering if I could buy a higher end 2 year old used car from outside the state and re-register it in Kerala by paying just 5-6% of invoice value as roadtax or whether it will be be 18%.
Well, my car had completed the 15-year life-tax life when I moved it to Kerala. And here in Kerala for re-registering any car (be it Alto or Merc)
after the initial 15 years, the tax for next 5 years is the same Rs8700, which is what I paid. I am sorry, I don't know about tax for 2-year old cars.

NOTE :With roadTax being a state subject, different states tax differently. Eg the lifetime tax on a new car/bike is literally for life in TN.
So after the 15year period when you re-register the vehicle, you don't need to pay any tax for the next 5 years.

But in KL, you have to pay ₹8700 (be it Alto or Merc) for the next 5 years. And then ₹8700 for every further block of 5 years.

So it's cheaper to renew your car in Tamilnadu.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 18th March 2022 at 14:44.
Old 1st April 2022, 14:45   #913
BHPian

Quote:
I moved from Pune to Bangalore around 6 months back. Got the NoC for the car and bike from Pune (two different RTOs), paid the tax in Blore (KR Puram) and registered it all on my own.
I am exactly in the same boat and need to get my car re-registered in KR Puram RTO. How much time and visits it took you? The relevant officers?

Tried to PM you but your inbox seems to be full. Would be great if we could connect for a bit.
Old 9th April 2022, 16:35   #914
BHPian

Mods: Please move this to an appropriate forum if any. Apologies if I am in violation, did not find a parallel thread for motorcycles.

Dear BHPians, I am in a bit of fix and need your expert advice.

Context and issues: I have a 2019 Bangalore (KA03) registered RE Thunderbird 350x. I am currently in Kolkata continuing to work from home, and will probably get a formal transfer as well to the city. The bike is doing absolutely great but call it my ageing (about to be in the mid-thirties) or the deteriorating Indian road conditions, I have been feeling the roads too much these days. The bike usually runs city errands as well as long rides (anything between 400-1000 kms) occasionally. It's especially during the long rides, where I feel more unsettled and being thrown around quite a lot. I have tried adjusting the pre-load and will wait for some more time to see the results. In parallel, I am thinking of upgrading to an ADV with plusher suspensions and better ride quality which means that the current one will have to make way for the same. The bike is on loan currently but the same will be paid off in the next 2-3 months.

Options:

1. Go to Bangalore sometime, stay for few days and sell the bike there.

2. Catch hold of an agent, get the paperwork done (hypothecation removal, obtain NOC) virtually, re-register in Kolkata and sell/exchange the bike here. I casually enquired from an agent about the re-registration cost and it could be to the tune of 30-35k.

3. Follow the steps in #2 but keep the bike. I know this option is emotional and impractical, because it could be a challenge for parking space, and there's no solid rational to have two bikes along with a car as well.

Will you please advise me what could be the best and cost effective way forward?
Old 9th April 2022, 17:18   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetarin View Post
I have a 2019 Bangalore (KA03) registered RE Thunderbird 350x. I am currently in Kolkata continuing to work from home, and will probably get a formal transfer as well to the city. The bike is doing absolutely great but call it my ageing...
If you plan to sell the bike, then option-1. Not worth the jhamela of option-2 & transporting the bike to WB only to sell it there.

If you plan to keep & use it in Calcutta then :
a) If Calcutta cops don't bother about other-state vehicles, just use it there with KA plates.
Eg, Kerala cops don't harass you for out-of-state plates - just that all papers (RC, Insurance, PUC) need to be in order.

b) If Calcutta cops are a PIA in this regard, better to do option-2 & make it a WB plate.
But only if this is going to be your sole ride (pointless to have 2 bikes - I can bet that you will use only the new one & this will just rust in peace).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 9th April 2022 at 17:19.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks