Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2019, 12:29   #766
BHPian
 
Kannan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BLR/CJB/MAA
Posts: 77
Thanked: 41 Times
Default re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Hello everyone,

I use a TN registered vehicle and my present job requires me to work from Bengaluru.

Everyday it's a worry that traffic cop will pull me over demanding road tax.
While I searched this forum and it's mentioned that to pay road tax in Karnataka, NOC is not required, am not sure. Few sites say that NOC is required.

Can someone please confirm?
Kannan is offline  
Old 6th November 2019, 12:41   #767
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,075
Thanked: 7,132 Times
Default re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Have you shifted to Bangalore or do you drive back and forth from Chennai and stay in eg a guest house or hotel while in Bangalore?

You don't need a NOC to pay road tax in KA. You end up having paid road tax to TN and road tax to KA that way, and the KA road tax (lifetime tax) can't be refunded.

If you get a NOC from TN having shifted from there, you can pay road tax in KA, get a KA number, and once you've got that, apply to the concerned RTO in TN where your car was originally registered and ask for refund of your TN road tax.

The process takes months and a lot of running around. But road tax for even a lower end sedan is going to be tens of thousands to over a lakh rupees, so worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
Hello everyone,

I use a TN registered vehicle and my present job requires me to work from Bengaluru.

Everyday it's a worry that traffic cop will pull me over demanding road tax.
While I searched this forum and it's mentioned that to pay road tax in Karnataka, NOC is not required, am not sure. Few sites say that NOC is required.

Can someone please confirm?

Last edited by hserus : 6th November 2019 at 12:48.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 12:48   #768
BHPian
 
Kannan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BLR/CJB/MAA
Posts: 77
Thanked: 41 Times
Default re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Have you shifted to Bangalore or do you drive back and forth from Chennai and stay in eg a guest house or hotel while in Bangalore?

You don't need a NOC to pay road tax in KA. You end up having paid road tax to TN and road tax to KA that way, and the KA road tax (lifetime tax) can't be refunded.

If you get a NOC from TN having shifted from there, you can pay road tax in KA, get a KA number, and once you've got that, apply to the concerned RTO in TN where your car was originally registered and ask for refund of your TN road tax.

The process takes months and a lot of running around. But road tax for even a lower end sedan is going to be a few lakh rupees, so worth it.
I have shifted to Bengaluru, but I drive back and forth between Bengaluru and Chennai to visit my family.

The BS4 car is 10 years old and I believe the LTT I need to pay to KA would be around 20K.

I don't have intentions to register in KA since am planning to sell the car in an year or two. Also am not sure how long I would be staying in KA, but certainly I will be travelling to office using this car.
Kannan is offline  
Old 6th November 2019, 12:54   #769
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,075
Thanked: 7,132 Times
Default re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Drive it back and forth and keep a copy of your fastag statement to show that you are just visiting Bangalore.

Don't paste any flat or office parking stickers on your car windshield - keep them in your glovebox or somewhere and show the gate staff.

Keep copies of your DL, RC, insurance and a current pollution certificate always available in your car.

No sense re-registering this in KA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
I have shifted to Bengaluru, but I drive back and forth between Bengaluru and Chennai to visit my family.

The BS4 car is 10 years old and I believe the LTT I need to pay to KA would be around 20K.

I don't have intentions to register in KA since am planning to sell the car in an year or two. Also am not sure how long I would be staying in KA, but certainly I will be travelling to office using this car.
hserus is offline  
Old 6th November 2019, 14:22   #770
BHPian
 
Kannan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BLR/CJB/MAA
Posts: 77
Thanked: 41 Times
Default re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Drive it back and forth and keep a copy of your fastag statement to show that you are just visiting Bangalore.

Don't paste any flat or office parking stickers on your car windshield - keep them in your glovebox or somewhere and show the gate staff.

Keep copies of your DL, RC, insurance and a current pollution certificate always available in your car.

No sense re-registering this in KA.
Regarding the office sticker, the company has mandated and they stuck it in my windshield. Hence the reason I thought I will pay the road tax rather than explaining to the police officer every now and then.

Also Fastag will clearly show how long I have been staying in Bengaluru.
Kannan is offline  
Old 6th November 2019, 18:42   #771
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,075
Thanked: 7,132 Times
Default re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
Regarding the office sticker, the company has mandated and they stuck it in my windshield. Hence the reason I thought I will pay the road tax rather than explaining to the police officer every now and then.

Also Fastag will clearly show how long I have been staying in Bengaluru.
Cops usually won't bother with 10 year old beater cars. You have upto a year according to the motor vehicles act before you have to re-register the vehicle.

So by the time a year or so is up, drive your car to Chennai and sell it there (or leave it with some relative for them to use though you might get it back in a horrible condition if you do that, not everybody is good at taking care of cars).

Just manage with Uber or buy another used car for the time that you're in Bangalore.
hserus is offline  
Old 8th November 2019, 16:12   #772
BHPian
 
sibot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 201
Thanked: 148 Times
Default re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

I have a question which is not pertaining to moving my own car between states, but it has to do with purchasing an out of state car.

I am based in Delhi and I am interested in a Panipat, Haryana registered vehicle of 2011 vintage. I am not sure whether it is possible to transfer the ownership. Afaik cars which are Euro IV complaint are still being registered, in that case the Honda City of 2011 vintage should be okay.

Will I have to pay taxes again in Delhi? How will they assess the value for the calculation of taxes?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by sibot : 8th November 2019 at 16:18.
sibot is offline  
Old 8th November 2019, 17:07   #773
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,998
Thanked: 8,884 Times
Default re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
I Afaik cars which are Euro IV complaint are still being registered, in that case the Honda City of 2011 vintage should be okay.
Though I cannot help you out on this part of your query but I will let you know about the other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
Will I have to pay taxes again in Delhi? How will they assess the value for the calculation of taxes?
Yes, you will need to pay the Road tax for delhi if going the correct way. The correct way to go is to obtain NOC from the current RTO and apply for registration in your new RTO location with that NOC. They verify the NOC and calculate the amount of tax to be paid as per the invoice value of the car and the rate of tax prevailing in your state. The tax is to be paid only for the remainder of life of 15 years. For eg, if your car was originally registered in 2011, then you will have to pay road tax for only 7 years, since 8 years out of 15 have already gone.

While registering, you can choose to retain the old number or get a new number by paying a small fee.

Trust his helps.

Last edited by saket77 : 8th November 2019 at 17:09.
saket77 is offline  
Old 8th November 2019, 17:30   #774
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 225
Thanked: 533 Times
Default

I have a question. I am buying a car which is 1 year old (2018) registered in HImachal (HP) and I am located out of Gurgaon (HR).

Would this mean I will have to pay the road tax again in Haryana?
Do I need to pay full road tax in Haryana or is it prorata?
shravan2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 04:52   #775
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,075
Thanked: 7,132 Times
Default re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
I have a question. I am buying a car which is 1 year old (2018) registered in HImachal (HP) and I am located out of Gurgaon (HR).

Would this mean I will have to pay the road tax again in Haryana?
Do I need to pay full road tax in Haryana or is it prorata?
For a upto 3 year old car the rate is almost full, in most states. Then you will have to run from pillar to post to get road tax refunded from the HP RTO. Don't bother with it unless you have an address in HP and drive back and forth there.
hserus is offline  
Old 13th November 2019, 19:07   #776
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Dear Friends, got some query for which I am trying to find a quick solution for transporting my KA registered Car from Bangalore to New Delhi (Gaziabad)!

I have a Sokda Fabia Elegant 1.2 MPI registered in Nov 2010. I had initially planned to take this car to Delhi where I am relocating and register it there. However, while looking for information online, I am bit confused if I should sell the car in Bangalore or take it over to Delhi? Is it mandatory to get NOC here at Bangalore for registering at Delhi? Are there any restriction in Delhi for old car registration?

I am recently spent around 40K in painting and servicing the car.
ishaan_kone is offline  
Old 14th November 2019, 05:56   #777
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,075
Thanked: 7,132 Times
Default re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Yes you need a NOC and then you need to pay pro rata life tax for your car in Ghaziabad.

You will also soon run into the age limits for old cars.

Sell your car in Karnataka itself.
hserus is offline  
Old 14th November 2019, 06:58   #778
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,720
Thanked: 7,073 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Yes you need a NOC and then you need to pay pro rata life tax for your car in Ghaziabad.

You will also soon run into the age limits for old cars.

Sell your car in Karnataka itself.

I guess the FC for this Fabia will expire in 2025.
And yes I think also that with the tightening norms
in NCR region, it will be a pain in the near future to keep an old car.
However, I do empathise - because those Fabia cars from the 2006-2011 era were really good cars, though completely under rated and disrespected by the general mass market buying public.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 14th November 2019, 08:01   #779
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 12,886
Thanked: 8,408 Times
Default re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Yes you need a NOC and then you need to pay pro rata life tax for your car ..
Does the pro-rata thing work ? How was it in KA when you had moved your car from Chennai ?
condor is offline  
Old 19th November 2019, 22:36   #780
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 16
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Hello guys,

My dad got transferred from Hyderabad to Mumbai upon his job promotion and was provided with a new MH registered car (corporate registration) in November'19. He does not intend to use the car in Mumbai because i) He is stays about 500 meters away from his office. ii) Exorbitant parking rent in his locality. iii) Mumbai traffic.

So, we will be using the car in Hyderabad but cannot re-register the car and change the registration number up to 5 years after which the car will to transferred to my father.

1) What will be our options in using the vehicle in Hyderabad without any nuisance from the cops?

2) Can we use the MH registered vehicle without paying the road tax again here in Hyderabad?

We would be travelling to Mumbai back & forth every six months in this car to visit dad, so maintaining toll receipts/PUC will not be an issue.

Guys! I need help regarding this issue.

Thanks & regards,
robb.
adityarobb is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks