Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2017, 09:56   #631
BANNED

re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

@hserus; KA was paranoid about TN plates. In Bangalore even a casual visitor from TN would be hauled up and harassed.

I think with Pan India sales tax (oops GST) here it is high time that all India unrestricted movement of vehicles should be made a reality. Also, I am seeing an undercurrent for common taxation on fuel.
Old 30th August 2017, 09:58   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@hserus; KA was paranoid about TN plates. In Bangalore even a casual visitor from TN would be hauled up and harassed.

I think with Pan India sales tax (oops GST) here it is high time that all India unrestricted movement of vehicles should be made a reality. Also, I am seeing an undercurrent for common taxation on fuel.
Yes sir, aware :(

I had to migrate my TN license plate to a KA one and then get my TN road tax refunded due to this.

The problem is of course that GST doesn't apply to vehicle lifetime tax and stamp duty, two of the states' biggest money spinners, revenue wise. If they were brought under GST they'd become central government funds.

Taxation of fuel is a central government thing so that is another disgusting kettle of spoiled fish, with crude prices falling and fuel prices paradoxically rising.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 15:03   #633
BHPian

Need some feedback

I have a Pune registered Punto 2010, but have moved to Bangalore now. Around a year back I paid the KA Road tax, but didn’t get the number changed since I didn’t have the opportunity to go get a NOC from the Pune RTO.

I am looking to sell the car now and wanted to understand which is the best option amongst the following:

1. Get NOC from pune RTO, sell the car In Bangalore. The process of reregistering to the new buyer will include the number change. So sale, reregister, new KA number happens in one step (is this even possible?)
2. Get NOC from pune and apply for KA no (Road tax is already paid). Once I get the new no. then sell the car in Bangalore and go through the process of reregistering it to a new buyer. (How long does it take to get a new no.? I heard it could take 3 months)
3. Transfer the car to pune and sell it there
4. Sell it to an agency like cars24 in Bangalore which buys cars across states

My understanding is selling the car in KA will fetch more resale thanks to higher road tax. What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by Silverfire : 1st October 2017 at 15:05.
Old 1st October 2017, 17:07   #634
Senior - BHPian

As your rc is still from Pune and you have a MH number take the car back to Pune and sell it there.

If you had a NOC from Pune you have no option other than to subsequently get a KA number and then sell in KA - issuing the NOC means your MH number stands invalidated.
Old 4th October 2017, 16:00   #635
Senior - BHPian

Folks I have a query that I have desperately been trying to solve for a while now I am very keen on buying a Forester in Pune. The car is a May 2003 one. I need to know how much it will cost me to transfer to Bangalore. Some people are telling me to consider lifetime tax as 18% of invoice value for 15 years divided by 15 for 1 year, others are telling me 33% of lifetime tax. The numbers are varying between 20k to 80k. Need to know which is which. Also, is there any way to just pay the road tax, re registration and green tax in may of 2018? If so how do I calculate that amount?

I am aware that this is a complex situation but finding a good deal on a Forester is very tough and also I have lined up everything in terms of spares and maintenance for the car it is just this state transfer process which is hassling me now.
Old 4th October 2017, 18:31   #636
Senior - BHPian

The value is pro rata based on

1. Age of the vehicle (so some % of the invoice value for a 0-3 year car, 3-5 year car etc). They will not consider discounts etc you may have bought the car under, they have tables with them for most models.

2. Invoice value - assuming you have the original sale invoice of the vehicle

Your best bet is to take the vehicle to the RTO and get an estimate from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Folks I have a query that I have desperately been trying to solve for a while now I am very keen on buying a Forester in Pune. The car is a May 2003 one. I need to know how much it will cost me to transfer to Bangalore. Some people are telling me to consider lifetime tax as 18% of invoice value for 15 years divided by 15 for 1 year, others are telling me 33% of lifetime tax. The numbers are varying between 20k to 80k. Need to know which is which. Also, is there any way to just pay the road tax, re registration and green tax in may of 2018? If so how do I calculate that amount?

I am aware that this is a complex situation but finding a good deal on a Forester is very tough and also I have lined up everything in terms of spares and maintenance for the car it is just this state transfer process which is hassling me now.
Old 25th November 2017, 19:16   #637
BHPian

Hi Folks,
Can someone who has recently gotten an NOC done (especially from Bangalore) comment on how much time one has to spend at the RTO to get the paperwork (CMV 28) done, i.e. can it be done the same day or does one have to come back. Do they ask for a clearance certificate from the local police station that no case is pending or does the RTO do that?

Once the forms are submitted, how long does it take for them to issue the NOC? If I am getting an NOC from Bangalore to be used in Kolkata, will they mail it to my Kolkata address?

And finally, how long is the NOC valid?

Apologies if these questions have already been answered, in a hurry so posting all questions at once.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 10:17   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi Folks,
Can someone who has recently gotten an NOC done (especially from Bangalore) comment on how much time one has to spend at the RTO to get the paperwork (CMV 28) done, i.e. can it be done the same day or does one have to come back. Do they ask for a clearance certificate from the local police station that no case is pending or does the RTO do that?

Once the forms are submitted, how long does it take for them to issue the NOC? If I am getting an NOC from Bangalore to be used in Kolkata, will they mail it to my Kolkata address?

And finally, how long is the NOC valid?

Apologies if these questions have already been answered, in a hurry so posting all questions at once.
Adding to the above query.
Please suggest a good RTO agent who can help get NOC from bangalore and approximate charges. Can he also help in getting refund once the whole process of re-registration is completed?
Owner and car have moved out of bangalore and it will be a hassle to go back in person.

Thanks a lot
Old 25th December 2017, 16:42   #639
Senior - BHPian

It will take several months of patient followup

Do you need to re register the car in another state? If so why - is the local police / RTO raising objections or “just in case”?
Old 25th December 2017, 17:26   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
It will take several months of patient followup

Do you need to re register the car in another state? If so why - is the local police / RTO raising objections or “just in case”?
No issues with local cops.
Just that I am sure that I'll never go back to Bangalore.
Hence finish the pending job for once and all.

OT : just read Waseem's new thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-road-tax.html
Should I wait? car is 2008 september registered
Old 25th December 2017, 18:10   #641
Senior - BHPian

Take the car back to Bangalore and sell it for whatever it receives. Good fun sort of road trip anyway.
Old 25th December 2017, 18:54   #642
BHPian

Bhpians,
I am buying 2nd hand car in DL/HR for about 20L. I live in Pune (MH) and intend to register and use in Pune. I have been told by agents that RTO tax 5L is payable in Pune. Is there legal way to avoid paying 5L?
Please respond quickly. Thank you.
viva
Old 25th December 2017, 20:18   #643
VKS
BHPian

The road tax is 11 % on invoice value for Diesel vehicle, you do get some depreciation benefit and this was the rate last year when I re-registered.

Rule book says you should re register within 12 months of moving to a new place, but here at Pune RTO Will charge penalty for every month of delay in registering. The NOC from previous RTO was considered as entry date into MH.

Legally there is no other way than paying the tax.
VKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 22:30   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva View Post
Bhpians,
I am buying 2nd hand car in DL/HR for about 20L. I live in Pune (MH) and intend to register and use in Pune. I have been told by agents that RTO tax 5L is payable in Pune. Is there legal way to avoid paying 5L?
Please respond quickly. Thank you.
viva
Apparently the RTO have their own valuation for used cars and doesn’t usually go by the price you paid. Hence would be hard to figure out the exact tax until you get it assessed by an RTO official or perhaps agents know what the calculation metric is. The depreciation is not much from what I heard.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 22:37   #645
BHPian

Thanks, Sahil.
I discovered that for 6 year old car, OTT payable is 81% of new car OTT which works out to 5L plus in this case. Effectively, not feasible to buy car outside MH.
viva

Most Viewed