Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2020, 22:22   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

That 7000 is going to be very likely used to create a bogus address proof in Gurgaon using which you can register the car.

Stay away from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
I am looking at a pre-used car registered in Gurgaon. Spoke with an agent about the potential transfer process and he mentioned it’s cumbersome because all my residence proofs bear a Delhi address. And rental agreements are not accepted by RTO office.

His idea was that he will get it done if I pay 7000 extra.

Any idea if his points are valid? And is there a way out of this without spending such a huge amount for an administrative process.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 23:09   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
That 7000 is going to be very likely used to create a bogus address proof in Gurgaon using which you can register the car.

Stay away from this.
Yeah sounds shady, right. So I went through the website of Haryana transport department. Seems rent agreement is acceptable as proof of residence. Worth giving a shot.

https://haryanatransport.gov.in/en/c...ership-vehicle
Old 15th September 2020, 23:16   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah sounds shady, right. So I went through the website of Haryana transport department. Seems rent agreement is acceptable as proof of residence. Worth giving a shot.

Issuing a noc from Gurgaon to Delhi is easy

Re registering the car in Delhi is just as easy

What is difficult is paying road tax on the vehicle in Delhi - you’ll end up giving the Delhi RTO a DD for a large percentage of the original tax paid on the car based on its age.

What is even more difficult is claiming a refund on the Haryana life tax from the Gurgaon RTO once you have re registered the car in Delhi.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 23:55   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I think then you should initiate the NOC formalities soon, as the car is nearing the 10yr mark at which RTO might cancel the registration. It's practically impossible to get a NOC once the registration has been cancelled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulok View Post
Have been following his purchase of the Fortuner and transferring it to his hometown, Imphal (Manipur). But he is based at Noida and he must had a lot of time to wait for the NOC to be issued after which he transferred the car. Tulok
NO problem with you taking back the car to your final destination/state. However, to apply NOC, you would need the chassis imprint as one of the document. So, I suggest you better have that taken and handed over to your agent (or) to the RTO before you leave.

I was lucky to manage to get the NOC just in nick of time, precisely in the final day of 10 years of its registration i.e, 8th Sept 2020 (car was registered on 8th Sep 2010), though I had applied for NOC a month ago. The delay was because the insurance company didn't do its job of updating the new policy in the parivahan sewa website, due to which it got rejected. I kept calling the insurance company to update but its was a pathetic experience (national insurance) and it got only updated in early morning 8th Sept 2020 (final day of its NCR life) that too, using an insurance agent and paying 2000 bucks.

And I don't know if it is luck or a new policy that is followed - When I applied for re-registration (with smart card RC) of my car in my home state, I was not charged any tax, but just Rs 1300 bucks:
Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.-fortuner1.gif

And tax exempted for remaining 5 years (as the original owner had paid life time - 15 years in the DL registration).
Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.-fortuner2.gif

From all my knowledge, I have only heard RTO charging road tax on pro-rata basis (or even full 10/15 years) for inter-state transferred pre-owned vehicles and my experience is a first. Mention be made that just after purchasing the car in Feb 2020, I had transferred the car in my name and address in Delhi (took a month) before applying for re-registration in my native state. So, my native RTO might have taken that into account (i.e., same owner, re-registering in native address/state) and hence exempted the LTT tax.

Last edited by iTNerd : 16th September 2020 at 00:03.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 00:22   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Issuing a noc from Gurgaon to Delhi is easy

Re registering the car in Delhi is just as easy

What is difficult is paying road tax on the vehicle in Delhi - you’ll end up giving the Delhi RTO a DD for a large percentage of the original tax paid on the car based on its age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
NO problem with you taking back the car to your final destination/state.
Maybe I wasn’t clear but I don’t intend to register the car in a Delhi RTO. As Hserus mentioned, the hefty road tax just makes it economically non-sensical.

I stay in Gurgaon, and as address proof - have a proper rental agreement and a landline bill. I plan to use these as residence proofs to transfer ownership of the car at the existing (Gurgaon) RTO. Do you guys see any challenges in doing that?
Old 16th September 2020, 01:37   #816
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I stay in Gurgaon, and as address proof - have a proper rental agreement and a landline bill. I plan to use these as residence proofs to transfer ownership of the car at the existing (Gurgaon) RTO. Do you guys see any challenges in doing that?
I am sure if you go directly to the authorities with a rental agreement they will ask more like here in Chandigarh, such agreements have to be registered in court.

If you are living in Gurgaon, get your Adhaar updated first and then you should be good. If you want to change back to Delhi later, it will be easy too. Else, find another agent. They must have some expense at RTO as well, usually they charge 4-5 k so maybe he is asking additional for rental agreement charge etc.

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th September 2020 at 01:38.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 09:18   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Landline bill especially BSNL landline is perfectly acceptable as address proof. So is rent agreement.

You can additionally get a certificate from your office stating your address as registered with them is xxxx apartments sector yyy Gurgaon, + an attested copy of your ID card, but two address proofs is just fine.

Don't change your aadhaar outside your permanent address, if you update a rental house there you have to update it again when you shift out.

Transfering within the same state or even better same RTO is straightforward, don't waste your time getting an agent to do this, you can initiate the transfer and pay the fee on the Parivahan site itself, and print out the concerned documents.

Then put the car's chassis number imprint pencil trace on the side of the forms you print out and take it to the RTO at whatever time specified.

Last edited by hserus : 16th September 2020 at 09:21.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 16:56   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I am sure if you go directly to the authorities with a rental agreement they will ask more like here in Chandigarh, such agreements have to be registered in court.

If you are living in Gurgaon, get your Adhaar updated first and then you should be good. If you want to change back to Delhi later, it will be easy too. Else, find another agent. They must have some expense at RTO as well, usually they charge 4-5 k so maybe he is asking additional for rental agreement charge etc.
Quote:
Landline bill especially BSNL landline is perfectly acceptable as address proof. So is rent agreement.

You can additionally get a certificate from your office stating your address as registered with them is xxxx apartments sector yyy Gurgaon, + an attested copy of your ID card, but two address proofs is just fine.

Don't change your aadhaar outside your permanent address, if you update a rental house there you have to update it again when you shift out.
Thank you both. My takeaway based on these posts is that there is a certain level of discretion the RTO guys have. And showing them their own website as a rulebook will most probably won't work.

If the deal for this car goes through, I am going to try for ownership transfer using rental agreement and landline bill only (and maybe letter from the office). If it does not work with these documents, only then will I consider updating Adhaar address.

On a different note - I was going through the process to update address in Adhaar and was surprised at how simple have they have made it. Not sure how it works in real life but on paper, looked very efficient.
Old 7th October 2020, 00:23   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you both. My takeaway based on these posts is that there is a certain level of discretion the RTO guys have. And showing them their own website as a rulebook will most probably won't work.

If the deal for this car goes through, I am going to try for ownership transfer using rental agreement and landline bill only (and maybe letter from the office). If it does not work with these documents, only then will I consider updating Adhaar address.
So an update based on my recent experience with Gurgaon RTO. I had applied for the ownership transfer online and tried to follow the due process mentioned on the website:
1. I was asked to provide at least two local address proofs
2. Notarised rent agreement is not considered as acceptable address proof by RTO (even though website says it’s acceptable)
3. I was asked to produce signed affidavit showing the sale. Guess what - this documentation requirement is nowhere written on the website
4. Don’t bother explaining to the babus on what the rules on their own website state

My final take - The online application process is a good step but you still have to wade through the bureaucracy for the final submission. Do the process yourself only if your documentation is watertight (Aadhar, passport etc at a local address). Better consult an RTO agent if you are a migrant.

Last edited by warrioraks : 7th October 2020 at 00:26.
Old 7th October 2020, 08:18   #820
BHPian

Guys, my manager is planning to sell his DL registered Fortuner which he picked brand new in 2011. With NGT rules, he cannot use it from next year in Gurgaon and Delhi. So he is planning to sell it off at the earliest. He casually mentioned it to me yesterday and I am seriously contemplating on purchasing it and bring it down to Hyderabad and register it here.

I drove the car when I was in Gurgaon, we also had many trips to the north (Leh, Manali, Udaipur, etc) the car is a 2011 August 4x4 MT. It only clocked 68,000 km so far with very detailed service records all at Toyota service centers. The car is stock and only modification is a music upgrade. touch screen music system and component speakers. The car is very well maintained, wears pirelli scorpion tyres with decent grip. He is quoting 11 lakhs for it.

My question here is, is it wise to spend 11 lakhs on a 9 year old car?

How much road tax do I have to pay to Hyderabad RTO ? Would it be on initial invoice of the car or due to 9 years of depreciation do I have to pay fraction of the road tax?

I don't have any doubts on the car as I'm already familiar with Toyotas as we owned multiple Toyotas over the years and I drove this particular Fortuner and it still feels just like the running in is finished. The car is in top notch condition, apart from swirls and scratches from Delhi traffic.
Old 7th October 2020, 11:14   #821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
My question here is, is it wise to spend 11 lakhs on a 9 year old car?

First of all he is asking a lot. These go for around 6-8L in Delhi. iTNerd here (see his posts above) paid around 7L if I remember correctly. So please bring it down to 6-8L depending on the condition.
Old 7th October 2020, 13:20   #822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
First of all he is asking a lot. These go for around 6-8L in Delhi. iTNerd here (see his posts above) paid around 7L if I remember correctly. So please bring it down to 6-8L depending on the condition.
Second - you will pay a certain percentage of the road tax, not the whole amount, to re register it in Hyderabad.
Old 15th October 2020, 14:07   #823
BHPian

How do you interpret the info on the following website:

https://www.bankbazaar.com/tax/karna...-on-4-wheelers

where in the last 3 rows in that table (for cars less than 5 years old), I see outrageous figures like 75-93% road tax rates! How do we interpret the last 3 rows in conjunction with the first few rows?

Last 3 rows is for used cars? I didn't know road tax needs to be paid when purchasing a used car in the same state. And that too at such steep rates like 93%?? That would make it more expensive than a new car, no? What am I missing?
Old 2nd November 2020, 10:10   #824
BHPian

Friends I need to re-register my car in Bangalore. I have applied for NOC from Haryana RTO that should come this week.Spoke to one of the agents in Bangalore who quoted a total expense of Rs.11000 including his fee and all the other different fees payable at Bangalore RTO but this excludes the Road Tax.

Do you guys think this is a reasonable quote or should I look elsewhere? Any other option that I can look at will be highly appreciated?
Old 16th November 2020, 14:41   #825
BHPian

I've been seeing a lot of HR 98 registered cars in Gurgaon. A friend of mine got a Seltos recently and was told HR 26 won't be used from now on due to some reason. HR 98 doesn't show any results on Google. Does anyone have any context?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks