Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2021, 19:56   #451
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEnthusiast10 View Post
Hello everybody, we pre booked JC 2021 . Had been researching since mid 2019. Will write separately about the process we went through a detailed post. Coming back to the booking- we eventually zeroed on the JC 2021 , Petrol DDCT Limited variant - Techno green .
Congratulations! This is the exact variant, engine and colour combination I was hoping to get before the pricing played spoilsport!

Yes, you should definitely go for the extended warranty, PPF is also good-to-have but get it done externally not through the Jeep guys. You'll get better deals and better quality materials being used - check the Mumbai Directory on Team BHP you'll find good recommendations!

Mind sharing the final on-road price in Mumbai?
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 21:36   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The BMW's use a ZF8 gearbox that sends power to the rear wheels. The compass uses a ZF9 that sends power to the front and is meant for AWD applications.

The ZF9 has a short 1st gear for offroad situations.

Overall, it is a combination of poor tuning as well as gearbox itself.

The ZF9 in Compass is shared with the Honda C-RV, Range Rover Evoque and other applications but not with BMW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_9HP_transmission
Being in USA i get to drive various cars from the FCA stable with different engines and gearbox combination. Let me put down my observations and experience.

1. I own a dodge charger AWD which has a 3.6 v6 and ZF8 box. With 300 horses on tap plus heavy weight and AWD i get a superb performance and mileage of 26-28 mpg on highways at great speeds and spirited driving.

2. I had a compass for 3 weeks. This was an outright disappointing car. the 4 cylinder 2.4 engine is lethargic and the ZF9 is the worst gearbox in combination with this car. The gearshifts were irritating and the car was never in powerband. With almost half the horses and less weight and boring performance one would expect better mileage right ? but no, the real world mileage figures were very poor ranging from 21-24 mpg max. Not to mention catastrophic rear passenger space. My family hated the rear.

3. I had the the dodge rebel 3.6 v6 for 2 weeks. This has the same engine and gearbox as my charger, but the performance was a bit lower owing to the weight which is acceptable. But it was more fun than compass and was returning a mileage of 21-23 mpg.

4. Right now i have a Chrysler Voyager with 3.6 v6 engine around 280bhp mark , a front wheel drive and here is the interesting part. It has the same Zf9 speed gearbox. This one is a mammoth, but the performance is too good, the engine is very smooth and the combination of this powerful engine with not so good Zf9 works great. The mammoth is returning 24-26 mpg.

I would never suggest a compass automatic with ZF9 to anyone unless he has no other option and is hell bent on the Jeep. The manual should be better option.
amit_mechengg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 22:35   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Thanks for this. Any idea about the petrol auto? The general feedback I've seen about the petrol is that it's not particularly efficient but I'm not sure if that's the auto or the manual that people usually report it with.

I've had several folks tell me that if I'm considering the Jeep, the 4x4 Diesel MT is preferred, followed by the auto. If I don't need the 4x4 then the Petrol auto should be the last in order of preference.
Petrol auto is not that efficient and as nice to drive as diesel. Petrol manual will definitely be more fun and efficient than petrol auto. But if your driving is more on highways than in city , than diesel manual is the one to go for as it is immensely enjoyable to drive plus giving very good fuel efficiency.
Old 25th February 2021, 22:45   #454
BHPian

Here you go... The ones who were having difficulty selecting a colour (like me)
The blue is exactly as it looks like in the photos. I'm not so sure about the green, as I have not seen it personally. My SA sent me the pics of the "HULK".
On a side note, I have found the name of soon-to-be-ours car Would be taking the delivery in April. Wish me luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-img20210225wa0002.jpg  

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-img20210225wa0000.jpg  

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-img20210225wa0001.jpg  

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-20210224_162053.jpg  

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-20210224_162009.jpg  

Harjot37 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 23:27   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarezebra View Post
New Ad... Looks good! Not as great as the Tata Safari ad but still good enough!

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Wz4hXxJecHY
That’s definitely not how the engine in a Jeep Compass sounds, is it? Then it makes the ad very misleading.
Old 25th February 2021, 23:54   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harjot37 View Post
Here you go... The ones who were having difficulty selecting a colour (like me)
The blue is exactly as it looks like in the photos. I'm not so sure about the green, as I have not seen it personally. My SA sent me the pics of the "HULK".
On a side note, I have found the name of soon-to-be-ours car Would be taking the delivery in April. Wish me luck.
Congrats. I'll pick the green anyday! Thank you for sharing both colors.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 11:57   #457
BHPian

Finally, I got confirmation from the dealer that my Galaxy Blue Compass has been dispatched and will be delivered within a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libocta View Post
My SA called me a few days ago that the vehicle has been allotted and i have 5 days to make payment else they will need to allocate it to next person in queue.
I think you should tell him that you will make the payment only once the car has been dispatched. My compass was allotted on Feb 12th and it took around 2 weeks to get billed and dispatched. That too after many emails being sent to the FCA guys. My SA told me that the car will be allotted to the next person in the queue if I do not make the payment before the car arrives dealership.

Meanwhile, I had already driven around the loaner car ( Compass Limited Petrol AT ) for about 400km. The average fuel consumption is 10.4 kmpl ( mostly good ghat roads without traffic ). I had to take the car to a resort that had a steep hill climb with hairpins, the engine felt very strained and torque wasn't sufficient with just 2 passengers and 2 small bags.

More video reviews:

navaneeth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 12:50   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaneeth View Post
My compass was allotted on Feb 12th and it took around 2 weeks to get billed and dispatched. That too after many emails being sent to the FCA guys.
So, will you be getting the car delivered by the first week of march ? I have been awaiting news of allotment for the past 2 weeks, but to no avail. I completed booking by January 20th and waiting.
Old 26th February 2021, 12:58   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
So, will you be getting the car delivered by the first week of march ? I have been awaiting news of allotment for the past 2 weeks, but to no avail. I completed booking by January 20th and waiting.
Which colour and variant have you booked. In Mumbai dealership got allocation for 2 white colored model 'S'. Since mine is Galaxy Blue, no luck on allocation yet. SA says mid march and CRM guy says April so one of them is lying!
scarezebra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 13:16   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaneeth View Post
Finally, I got confirmation from the dealer that my Galaxy Blue Compass has been dispatched and will be delivered within a week.

Meanwhile, I had already driven around the loaner car ( Compass Limited Petrol AT ) for about 400km. The average fuel consumption is 10.4 kmpl ( mostly good ghat roads without traffic ). I had to take the car to a resort that had a steep hill climb with hairpins, the engine felt very strained and torque wasn't sufficient with just 2 passengers and 2 small bags.
Why do I feel you are not satisfied with the car's performance and yet, making this purchase. Please correct me if I am missing something.

You are lucky to have got the loaner car to experience it extensively even before buying the car.

Sorry for going off-topic and many congratulations for your purchase.
Old 26th February 2021, 13:22   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarezebra View Post
Which colour and variant have you booked.
Techno Green Colour in S-AT 4x4 Diesel. I too was informed of an April month delivery (probably).

Last edited by Harsha89 : 26th February 2021 at 13:23. Reason: Forgot to add a word
Old 26th February 2021, 13:30   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Why do I feel you are not satisfied with the car's performance and yet, making this purchase. Please correct me if I am missing something.
Loaner car is a petrol AT, I booked a diesel AT. I am satisfied with the performance of diesel AT
navaneeth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 15:40   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
Techno Green Colour in S-AT 4x4 Diesel. I too was informed of an April month delivery (probably).
Yup I guess its the newer colours!
According to the SA the 'S' models are being produced for export but probably not for the newer colors.
Old 26th February 2021, 15:41   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
You seem ok to buy the Mahindra brand.
Eh, no. Actually, I am not. I made this exception only for the Thar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Given your various predicament, may I suggest a third alternative.

I take it that in a perfect world, you would like to have automatic, 4x4 (or AWD), comfortable seating combined with the ability to do more extreme stuff and a well engineered product. Given all of the above, and considering you are not getting several of the above (in your budget) in either the Thar or the 4x2 manual Compass, please consider whether you would be open to waiting for the all new Mahindra XUV 5OO AWD A/T. You keep your cars 8-10 years so I feel waiting a few months should not be a deterrent.

This will be a larger more sophisticated product.
It may not have Thar levels of brute 4x4 capability but is likely to give a good automatic combined with AWD or 4x4 capability at a price too that will most likely be much cheaper than the 4x4 Jeep Compass A/T and perhaps not too much more than the 4x2 manual version of the Compass . It can seat more than two in comfort unlike the Thar, will likely be more mature in its ride and handling and will in fact be a better size than even the Compass.

Seems to me the XUV 5OO will be the closest to fulfill most if not all of your requirements and likely at a price that will work for you too.
XUV 5OO is not really in my radar. I am not willing to plonk in north of 20L for a Mahindra/Tata or any even a Hyundai. You can call me a bit regressive (in strict automotive terms) but I cant digest spending so much on these brands. I was making an exception for the Thar, essentially for what you get. There is not even a single car at 15L range that offers a 4X4 that is as good as the Thar.

Having said that, the recent niggles (which was anticipated) in the Thar is kind of getting to me. Moreover, I have been thinking of getting a 'nice' (and performance oriented) car for the longest time i can remember. Hence the Compass. The diesel manual has a good powerful engine. If you get a chance do check it out in person. They have actually done quite well with the interiors (new 2021 version). If only they still had the 4X4 manual on sale. Sigh!

Last edited by Pancham : 26th February 2021 at 15:43.
Old 26th February 2021, 19:14   #465
BHPian

Now that summer is approaching, can any new owner confirm how good the ventilated seats are?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks