Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you find sunroof as a feature desirable?
Yes! Sunroof will strongly influence my buying decision 340 29.80%
Not really. Even if a car has sunroof, I'll keep it closed. 329 28.83%
Indifferent about sunroof / Not important 472 41.37%
Voters: 1141. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 10:42   #196
BHPian

Re: Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?

This is a classic case of something initially starting off as a luxury item and becoming mainstream soon. Once it is mainstream, each one of us will have purpose for it. So many use cases have been described in this thread.
Old 19th August 2022, 10:58   #197
BHPian

Sunroof is a feel good factor and has almost become 'desh ka dhadkan' as of now. Single pane sunroofs are history and not as useful as a Panoramic sunroof. But, people who prefer Sunroofs should get ready to face the consequences of the drain blocks or intermittent leaking issues as well. I never understand why people oppose sunroofs here.
All luxury manufacturers were offering panoramic sunroofs and ventilated seats in their cars since ages. So, in recent times even cars in 20L budget are coming with these features. This is very much a welcome move.

Last edited by Hickstead : 19th August 2022 at 10:59.
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 11:11   #198
BHPian

Sunroof is a nice to have feature for me if it is a panoramic sunroof else I do not need it.

It is useful while driving on hills (especially during a foggy morning) or at night or during rain. The glass remains closed almost always, it was opened only once when the co-passenger wanted to pop the go-pro out (using the stick and belted to the seat) for better video.
Old 19th August 2022, 11:14   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted Yes!... but really think there should have been another option: It's nice to have and I use it on occasion but not really a deal breaker.

Living in Pune, we have long monsoons and short but crisp winters when it's a pleasure to open the sunroof (or at least the moon roof to let in more light). So I wouldn't say it's a totally useless feature. And my kids have been strictly told never to poke their heads out of it, so the safety side of it is covered.
Old 19th August 2022, 11:23   #200
BHPian

I never used a sunroof personally till 2017, but then I got myself a Honda WR-V which came with a sunroof.

Looking at the extremely hot weather of Rajasthan I thought It's not going to be used much. But then I realised it is much faster to cool a sunroof equipped car than a car without it. All I had to do is open it for 1 minute with AC on and it does wonders in terms of cooling the car cabin.
LokiPilaniya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 11:58   #201
Senior - BHPian

Some comments are surprising like - I don't use sunroof so I find it useless. A sunroof's utility cannot be relied on the fact that a person uses it or not. It definitely brings in a lot of sunlight and is a bliss to drive with only the glass on top when it's raining. You need to experience the usage to understand how good it feels. My kid looks through the sunroof and tries to spot the metro that can be clearly seen while sitting in the car. She just gets elated when she spots the metro. Now, if the sunroof was not there at all, she might not even ask for it but when it's open she really enjoys her drives. I think that is important for me, so heck yes for a sunroof!
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 17:08   #202
BHPian

Sunroofs are good, not a must have. I am sure later on sunroofs would be common even in cars south of 9 lakhs. It's a different feel to drive in western ghats during monsoons, those who have it will understand. Also it works for people like me who are claustrophobic to the extreme. Also for views like this, I am sure no one would hate such a view.

Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?-20220730_144120.jpg
VNair is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 00:18   #203
BHPian

Yes! Sunroof and that too panoramic is a must have feature for my next car.
Old 20th August 2022, 02:00   #204
BHPian

Voted indifferent.
Although I never wanted a sunroof. It is an additional headache for people who want to keep vehicles for long. I am concerned about long term reliability of the closing mechanism.
But most top variants now come with sunroof, so I have to be indifferent about it. Take 50K off car price for no sunroof variant, I will happily buy it.
Old 20th August 2022, 17:32   #205
BHPian

Safety concerns of sunroof

As per the pole, 73%+ BHPians do not consider sunroof as safety hazard - as either they like it or they are indifferent. However, seeing these articles in internet, when a prospect of buying a car with sunroof became imminent for me (due to its other needed features including 6 airbags), I am really worried.

Are Sunroofs Dangerous? (motorbiscuit.com)
Quote:
According to the New York law firm of Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, closed moonroofs caused around 230 deaths and 500 injuries every year between 2002 and 2012. Bodily ejection through closed and open sunroofs were responsible for 300 deaths and 1,400 injuries yearly from 1997 to 2008, the firm claims.
Quote:
• They add too much weight
• They place weight in the wrong place
• …
• Holes should never be cut in a car’s roof
6 Reasons to Avoid a Panoramic Sunroof – TopGearbox
Quote:
3. Added weight where you don’t want it
5. Reduced structural integrity
Adds extra weight on top of the car, elevating the centre of gravity. For an SUV with already higher CG than sedans, an SUV with sunroof is more prone to instability and toppling compared to a sedan. A roll-over accident (caused due to above weaknesses) is more damaging due to weakened roof.
GNCAP test does not conduct roll-over crash, hence cars' structural integrity of sunroofs are untested.

Is a Panoramic Sunroof Safe in a Rollover Crash? - Consumer Reports
Quote:
Some car manufacturers, including Hyundai, are developing roof airbags that can cover the entire ceiling of a car during a rollover, protecting passengers from ejection as well as broken glass.
Without this airbag, sunroof continues to pose safety threat.
Old 29th September 2022, 19:36   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjFFE...d=NDRkN2NkYzU=

Saw this video of Autocarindia in collab with Skoda India. Kudos to Skoda for even daring to make such a video.

Though I guess this would stay within social media realm and they would never dare to show this in TV channels.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 19:52   #207
BHPian

For a hot country like ours, there are hardly any cars offering ventilated seats - without offering sunroof. XL6 Alpha AT seems to be only exception.

Effectively, manufacturers are giving preference to sunroofs in top variants as against ventilated seats.

In my opinion, retractable window shades and front+rear ventilated seats should be offered by default atleast in cars costing 20L.

Last edited by baarish84 : 29th September 2022 at 19:53.
Old 29th September 2022, 20:31   #208
BHPian

Voted yes.

Did not care about sunroof till we decided to upgrade to 5+2 and bought Safari #Dark knight to home couple of months back. Well, I didn't think about its safety aspects as earlier driven Accent executive didn't even had airbags, abs etc..

Reasons behind opting for sunroof:
1) Must have requirement by my two kids.
2) Dark edition interiors are all dark shades including the roof. So, a sun-roof adds to bring-in more light during cloudy day or rains. Of-course the additional plus is awesome views of ghats and rain drops trickling down the dome on weekend drives. So, it is useful for at least quarter of year in Pune. I think, this is the most used feature for past two months since we got the beast.
3) If AC is not required, all windows can be rolled up and sun-roof can be open fully or partially for fresh air circulation in cabin. This has been used many times on ghat drives.
4) I think the XZA+ variant had some dedicated features like ventilated seats, air purifier. Initially, I thought them to be just gimmicks, but air purifier thing has turned out to be plus in city drives and ventilated seats will be tested in summers.

Keep revving..
Negi
negi15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 08:41   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Extended use of sunroofs!

Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?-326597922_700548611512194_5990128901221701842_n.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 08:52   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Extended use of sunroofs!

Attachment 2410445

Link
Such people don't deserve to be on the road, endangering lives of their own as well as fellow commuters.

Person got money to buy a car worth 13-15L, but don't want to spend 300/- by hiring a goods carrier, depriving them of their income.
Then, set on the road with a false pride of being cool and smart, but setting a wrong example for many to follow.

The vehicle number is clearly visible here. Should be reported to traffic police.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks