Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you find sunroof as a feature desirable?
Yes! Sunroof will strongly influence my buying decision 364 29.86%
Not really. Even if a car has sunroof, I'll keep it closed. 354 29.04%
Indifferent about sunroof / Not important 501 41.10%
Voters: 1219. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2021, 17:36   #76
S2K
BHPian

Re: Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?

I personally don't have any affinity towards a sunroof.
Definitely not a must have feature. But a good to have, if what your are being charged for it is reasonable.
On the other hand, the small window like sunroofs seem in adequate and hardly help in any way. And panoramic sunroofs give a spacious, luxurious ambience, lift up my mood a bit and leave me wanting a convertible so that I can feel the "nature" around me!
Sure, the opportunities to make optimal use of a panoramic sunroof or a convertible roof are infrequent in India given the climate and traffic density. But, I would still like to enjoy those opportunities and that ecstatic feeling.
Old 25th March 2021, 17:58   #77
BHPian

l like the sun roof for the light it provides in the mornings and evenings. It definitely adds to the ambience in my opinion. I rarely open it, just slide back the shade to let the light in.
Old 25th March 2021, 18:37   #78
BHPian

I personally am a fan of sunroofs but only the panoramic kind. Panoramic sunroofs definitely offer a huge elevation to the ambience and make the cabin airy. The love affair of Indians with sunroofs is also evident through the amazing sales record of cars like the Creta and Seltos.

I only have a sunroof in one of my cars but that car is definitely the choice on a day when I want to go for a relaxing drive. Living in Mumbai the rains are absolutely lovely (when we're not flooded ) and there is something almost magical and mesmerizing about watching the rain fall with the sunroof cover open!
Old 25th March 2021, 18:54   #79
Senior - BHPian

I don't think sunroofs make sense for our climate. For most part of the year in most parts of the country, we have to do everything possible to keep the sun out and not let it inside. I will not buy a car with one any more than I will buy one with an open top.
Old 25th March 2021, 20:36   #80
BHPian

Just wondering if we can call the sunroof also as the moonroof

While a lot has been said about our hot climate and I won't dare open my roof during peak summer, it's an altogether different experience on a starry and breezy night. Also the experience on ghats during rain is amazing.

Personally, I don't suggest keeping your head out though through the roof. It's very risky.
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 21:23   #81
BHPian

Voted Indifferent. I can see the joy of a sunroof. Imagine driving under starlit skies on an Amavasya in Laddakh. Or in the Rann of Kutchch / Sambhar Lake. Or driving through the dense greenery of Mudumallai, with trees as ancient as mankind for company, on a February morning. Or just the everyday feeling of airiness that sunroofs bring to us trapped souls of darkness and concrete cages.

But. I won't trade a car I want for a sunroof I may like on occasion. Simple as that. When I really do want to experience the outdoors. Well...stop by the roadside. And step out. Slow on down.
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 21:36   #82
Senior - BHPian

Sunroof is not an important feature for me to influence buying decision. I may actually be worried if I have a car with sunroof, whether there will be any water leakage during heavy rains after few years of usage and might require some additional maintenance.
Old 25th March 2021, 21:38   #83

Can't vote as of now, as I am still a newbie. However, I am indifferent towards a sunroof. My current car doesn't have one and I don't miss it even a bit.

That said, its definitely a nice-to-have feature. The lack of it is not a deal breaker for me, but I wouldn't mind having one. However, if it's a paid option, I won't spend extra just to get a sunroof. The engine and drivability is what matters to me the most.
Old 25th March 2021, 23:24   #84
BHPian

*Sunroofs break the fifth wall, give a new dimension and perspective to all occupants.

*Great hit amongst kids. This is the only feature kids want in their next family purchase and few parents can say no to that.
Old 25th March 2021, 23:29   #85
BHPian

I use a sunroof. i open it as soon as i get in to let the heat escape and car to air a bit and then i close it and start moving. It helps in getting rid of some of the heat quickly.

I would like to have a sunroof in all the cars i own.
Old 25th March 2021, 23:30   #86
BHPian

I am indifferent to this feature in Cars.

For me driving characteristics and reliability is primary. Having a Sunroof does not make any difference to me. I had checked it once and I did feel nice, kind of a feel good factor. But, being the boring person I am my thoughts immediately veered towards long term maintenance of this feature.

So 3rd option for me (cannot vote yet).

Last edited by Almoral : 25th March 2021 at 23:54. Reason: fixed grammar
Old 26th March 2021, 01:01   #87
BHPian

While I'm not particularly drawn towards a sunroof, I do enjoy keeping the cover open to let the extra light In and to make the cabin airy. That being said, I see a lot of people on online forums say that sunroofs aren't suited to Indian conditions, well that really depends on where you live, if you're in Delhi, Bangalore etc then sure, however if like me you spend a considerable part of the year in hilly regions like Nainitaal etc, then the Sunroof can be pure bliss, so it's an not exactly a pan india problem, just varies from city to city.
Old 26th March 2021, 01:08   #88
BHPian

I hate dust inside my cabin and always have a "windows rolled up policy" I'd like to have a panoramic glass roof instead of the sun roof - it'll have all the visual and aesthetic benefits of a sun roof without the ability to be opened (and get dusty)

Last edited by kaushikduttajsr : 26th March 2021 at 01:10.
kaushikduttajsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 02:15   #89
bvk
BHPian

Almost 2 decades ago I owned a car with sun roof while in the US. It has utility not just on pleasant days/evenings/nights but also on hot days. During hot summers used to park with tilt feature so that car won't get too hot inside. Back in India my previous car was City for last 16 years and never missed the lack of sun roof. Now my current Tiguan Allspace has it and I enjoy it. In essence it's something we don't miss but definitely enjoy if we have it... akin to having a farm house. I don't miss a farm house but if I could buy one someday would surely enjoy ��
Old 26th March 2021, 04:01   #90
Senior - BHPian

I'm indifferent about sunroofs. If I am in the market for a car, I wouldn't give any extra consideration to one just because it offers a sunroof, and I wouldn't choose to move up to a higher variant of a car just because it offers a sunroof over the lower variant. And I certainly wouldn't pay for one, if it is an optional feature. If the car/variant that I eventually choose based on other criteria ends up having a sunroof, I might enjoy it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks