Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you find sunroof as a feature desirable?
Yes! Sunroof will strongly influence my buying decision 340 29.80%
Not really. Even if a car has sunroof, I'll keep it closed. 329 28.83%
Indifferent about sunroof / Not important 472 41.37%
Voters: 1141. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2022, 09:07   #181
BHPian

Re: Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
In the interest of safety that this forum advocates, wasn't this an unsafe act?
I was forced by my cousins to do so even though I was not ready for it and now with respect to my experience, the entire forum is right about it.
IREV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 09:20   #182
BHPian

Answer is NO. Had a sunroof car but used it 4-5 times in a span of 3 years! The age old method of rolling down the windows to drive out heat or experience the aroma of nature always prevailed.
Old 27th July 2022, 10:06   #183
BHPian

I was enamoured with sunroofs when i didn't have one. It felt cool. I wanted a sunroof in my next car so got the highest variant of the Octavia just because it had the sunroof. I didn't need the extra features but didn't care how much more it cost.

It was fun initially. It does have some minor advantages to passengers of watching the rain or the forest or cooling down a parked car quickly.

But the biggest disadvantage is how hot it got on long drives. It'd give me headaches. I had to resort to putting sun film on it. Oh the irony!
evil_grin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:14   #184

The Sunroofs were initially planned because people in colder countries wanted more sunlight to enter the car, to warm it up faster and make it a cosy place to be in. They needed the extra sunlight from wherever they could get it. The roof was one big oppurtunity to fit a glass onto.

Eg : In Europe, the HVAC temperature knobs start with heating first, and then moves to cooling. First there's the red area followed by the blue, completely opposite to India.

I don't think there's a similar dearth of sunlight in India that we should want one, specially considering the fact that it's
1. More electronics
2. More parts to jam (leaves,debris getting stuck)
3. Another place for road dust to enter
4. A safety concern since if unfortunately the car ever topples, the glass can't withstand the load.

If the weather/environment of the city we primarily drive in, is conducive, it may still make sense else it is just another show-off feature, apart from a real-world value in a climate such as that of majority India's. I do have an XUV500 with a Sunroof (my brother insisted on the sunroof) my Uncle brought a Creta particularly for the Sunroof and 2 of my friends have the Harrier with sunroofs (one is the webasto, other is the panoramic one), but once the initial novelty factor worn-off, i don't see any of the cars sunroof's getting used. In fact, on the Harrier, using the Panoramic sunroof on a sunny day was pretty uncomfortable and we had to shut it immediately.
Old 27th July 2022, 11:52   #185
BHPian

Borrowing the famous line from Sharabi: "Sunroof ho to panaromic ho, warna no ho"!

Still voted indifferent because it wears off in less than a month. No matter what the weather is, one cannot drive with sunroof over. Curtain or moonroof can be opened but that too in maybe 2 months out 12. I usually prefer high end models where Sunroof comes as it but if there was an option of customisation, I would not pick it.
kaustubhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 23:48   #186
Senior - BHPian

For those who already experienced it in their car may say 'Nay' but those who are yet to and are fascinated by it will surely say 'Yay'. I'm in the 'Yay' category
Old 28th July 2022, 00:37   #187
BHPian

It's a good to have feature, but not a deal breaker for me.
I don't worry much on the reliability front atleast for the initial 7 years, but it can get troublesome post that period especially in hot humid regions.
Old 28th July 2022, 07:12   #188
BHPian

In our climate, I would prefer fewer windows rather than one more opening in the car for sunlight and dust to come in.
Old 28th July 2022, 08:39   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Just about any new car buyer is looking at Sunroof as a must have option! Not just kids, even their wife won't approve of the vehicle if it does not have a sunroof. Those OEMs who are offering Sunroof without having to pay for the top variant will have very good sales. Even those who have bought cheaper versions are open to retrofit as well by paying big bucks!
Old 28th July 2022, 09:38   #190
Senior - BHPian

A sunroof is only to get your DP or a few shots for Instagram. I haven't used the sunroof since we have a 'surfeit' of the sun where I live. Yeah good to have but can hardly use it in India. I have owned the car for more than 5 years now, haven't use the sunroof much.
Old 28th July 2022, 11:00   #191
BHPian

I think it is a feel good bit, and kids love it. With a panoramic one, night drives can be a bit more pleasant.
Beyond that I don't see it as a must have option at all. I wouldn't have used it more than 10 times till now.
sidenote: Wouldn't a carbon fibre roof looks way better?
Old 28th July 2022, 16:48   #192
BHPian

Certainly not a must have feature for me. Certainly won't pay extra just for the Sunroof (Panoramic or other wise)
Old 19th August 2022, 10:04   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

A sun/moon/glass roof helps when you are watching the sunset from a hill top at ~3000 feet and you want to try something different with the camera .

Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?-img_1237-1.jpeg
Old 19th August 2022, 10:29   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Just about any new car buyer is looking at Sunroof as a must-have option!
You're right about that. My mother said no to the Brezza just because it has a small-ish sunroof compared to the Grand Vitara.

There is a novelty attached to it - at least for people who have never had a sunroof in their cars before.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 10:38   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosespeaks View Post
1. More electronics
2. More parts to jam (leaves,debris getting stuck)
3. Another place for road dust to enter
4. A safety concern since if unfortunately the car ever topples, the glass can't withstand the load.
Let me add another point here:
5. Possibility of water leakage when the rubber along the glass starts to wear out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks