Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you find sunroof as a feature desirable?
Yes! Sunroof will strongly influence my buying decision 340 29.80%
Not really. Even if a car has sunroof, I'll keep it closed. 329 28.83%
Indifferent about sunroof / Not important 472 41.37%
Voters: 1141. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2021, 12:06   #106
BHPian

Re: Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?

Can't do without it. I had even added aftermarket sunroof to my SX4 (and probably was the first tbhpian to add it), combine with beige interiors and you have a bright interior. I find rear seats to be very claustrophobic if interiors are dark and not well lit. Glasses are also better noise deadeners than sheet metal and during hot summers, I believe I wasted less time waiting for my car to cool down when parked in hot sun. Never faced any squeaking or rattling issue, including the aftermarket webasto SX4 sunroof. And I use it to keep my coffee cups or mugs while striking a conversation. It's the safest place to keep your cups without scratching your paint.
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 12:29   #107

Glass is Glass and glass breaks. I don't want to compromise on the structural integrity of my car, but at the same time, if I have dark interiors, I'd certainly welcome some light. The sunroof can be useful for me as I make frequent trips to places like Cherapoonji and Shillong where sunlight seldom hits the interior.

I currently own a Ciaz now and I am perfectly fine with the beige interior and no Sunroof. Although, I like to use the sunroof whenever I'm driving my Uncle's X1.

Sunroof is a welcome feature but not a necessary one, even for people like me who lives in the NE.
Bumble_bore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 15:15   #108
BHPian

Small question here:
Does Sunroof help people who has vomiting sensation in long drives? I have two of my family members suffer from this syndrome.
rao_battula is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 22:05   #109
BHPian

Yes please, would definitely want one. It was one of the factors booking a car with a panoramic sunroof.

I can only imagine the comfort and airy feeling folks in the backseat would feel, especially on highway or nice hill drives.

Plus right now my kids have rejected several vehicles for lack of a sunroof.

PS: can't vote yet.
Old 29th March 2021, 15:34   #110
BHPian

Voted “Yes”. None of my currently owned cars have it but I recently test drove the Jeep Compass with panoramic sunroof on it and was very pleasantly surprised by the airy and bright feeling one gets inside the cabin. Going forward, in my future car purchase decisions I would strongly consider this feature and would love to own a car with a panoramic sunroof.
Old 29th March 2021, 16:50   #111
BHPian

As a feature I like it and have it on two of my cars - F30 320d and the Tiguan Allspace . However the way some parents let their kids stand from the open roof while driving fast makes me lean towards no, some basic instructions by the dealer/manufacturer to the owner of a car with this feature will go a long way to prevent a potential serious accident.
nirvanaguy19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 11:49   #112
Senior - BHPian

One in five cars sold in India has a factory-fitted sunroof.

Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?-20210825_114508.jpg

According to data released by Jato Dynamics India, one in every five cars that are currently sold in the country comes with a sunroof and this penetration is particularly high among the SUV category.

The data analytics firm claims that it is SUVs that are currently driving the growing demand for sunroofs in India.

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 11:58   #113
BHPian

Sunroof never was and never will be a must-have feature in my car buying criteria.

I have a Ecosport AT with a sunroof, and I have never driven the car with the sunroof open.
Only thing I have done is open the sun shade of the sunroof in rainy days, even my night driving had been limited to make any use of it.
Infact I would have loved to have the Sync 3 system instead of the Fly Audio and Leather Seats with 6 airbags over the Sunroof.

People are crazy about a sunroof, more so for the Panoramic Sunroof and with more and more cars launched with sunroofs, this craze is not going to stop. And also people standing out of the Sunroof with the car driven like a maniac.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 25th August 2021 at 12:00.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 12:01   #114
BHPian

I voted for 'Yes' for a simple reason that even if I don't open the sunroof, cars still feel airy and open. My brother-in-law has a GLA, to me which is very claustrophobic but with the sunroof/moonroof open it feels a lot of airy.

I understand that people are obsessed with features even if we do not use them, but if a feature costs a fortune (around 1L for a sunroof in some cars), we should definitely think twice about having it.

In my opinion, I would like to have one in my next car, just my thought.
car_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 14:28   #115
BHPian

For me, it's an aspirational feature. A feature that has been absent on all the basic cars we have owned till date. I would definitely want my next car to have a sunroof. The ones on the Hyundai/Kia(non-panoramic) are too small for my liking. The Honda City has a good sized sunroof among the non panoramic sunroof equipped cars. I'm already dreaming about starting at the night skies and driving around in a concrete jungle like Hong Kong at night with beautifully lit skyscrapers. Must be a beautiful sight!
Old 25th August 2021, 15:45   #116
Senior - BHPian

I dislike sunroofs, in India for sure. I wouldn’t mind paying more if I could buy a top model of a car without a sunroof. This is becoming a remote possibility nowadays. Did not vote as there is no choice which says “I dislike sunroofs”

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 16:34   #117
BHPian

As a feature, I absolutely love to have it since it brings roominess to the cabin. And if and when you travel to a pristine location without heat, dust & pollution, it does add to the experience.
Old 25th August 2021, 16:59   #118
BHPian

Sunroof : No

Panoramic sunroof / moon roof / sky roof :Yes

In order for a product to be super it should wow the women and children. Sunroofs just do that. That's the market pulse and that's why most manufacturers (Except old Japanese) are offering in their new suvs and premium sedan.

Panoramic sunroof is something the middle class Indians had only seen in movies and pictures but to be able to own a car with it is a definite wow factor (read creta, Hector).

Panoramic sunroof ups the cabin experience. Long drives /night drives Will not be opaque any more.

I belive once we start seeing more and more cars with panoramic sunroof, the wow factor will subdue, till the then panoramic sunroof is wow factor.
tiagoatrix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 17:13   #119
BHPian

I'd have like to see a 4th option in the poll, viz.

No, I do *not* want a sunroof, as in, I'd limit my buying choices to the variants that do NOT have a sunroof

In other words, it's a stronger negative than the third option in the poll.

The idea being that vehicles with a sunroof have a few drawbacks:
1) Head protection is compromised in case of a rollover (the importance of this aspect will be clear when one notes that in the US, one of the critical tests is that the roof of a car should not disintegrate upon a rollover, else the passengers' necks can break. There's some govt body (DoT? I forget which) that doesn't give permission for the model if it fails this test, to the best of my knowledge)
2) Unwanted shit can fall into the car in the Indian context (eg. When passing under a railway overpass)
3) Indian hot weather (in most places) isn't conducive to keeping the sunroof or moonroof open for long.

Last edited by vharihar : 25th August 2021 at 17:32.
Old 25th August 2021, 18:38   #120
BHPian

I am bit paranoid about dust. While riding bike, I used to squint my eyes inside helmet for few seconds every time a giant vehicle passes me billowing a plume of dust and smoke, to avoid irritation in eyes. Goes without saying that in my car, windows are rolled up always.
Despite this, I would like a pano roof in my next car- I have sat in the back seat of a car with one and I loved the ambience.
electro-monk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks