Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you find sunroof as a feature desirable?
Yes! Sunroof will strongly influence my buying decision 340 29.80%
Not really. Even if a car has sunroof, I'll keep it closed. 329 28.83%
Indifferent about sunroof / Not important 472 41.37%
Voters: 1141. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2022, 16:29   #166
BHPian

Re: Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?

No Thanks.

I do not prefer the Sun-Roof variant, even if I have to buy one variant less to avoid Sun Roof. My personal reasons for not preferring the Sunroof variants :

- Safety Issue in case a Stone or heavy object hits from Top in hilly areas.
- Reduced Structural Strength
- Leakage possibility in long run
- Possibility of Someone spitting throwing garbage from a moving bus while on
highways.

On the other side, A car with Sunroof definitely looks cooler than the ones without it.
Old 26th July 2022, 17:32   #167
BHPian

To be honest, I was excited when I first got sunroof in my car in 2015. But since that I consider it as a pretty pointless feature and never considered it for future buys. Its either too hot, dusty or rainy to use it in Indian weather. Yes, there are a few times in the entire 5 year ownership I had the perfect moment like driving through the ghats or evening sun that I had it opened, but its too few and far between. Unfortunately, twice I had it opened and forgot to close it.

I don't get the new craze of car manufacturers to stuff in bigger sunroof in cars, especially the panoramic ones, I think it is a fad that will pass. I'd gladly exchange it for any of the other new features like 360 degree camera, a large ICE screen, ventilated seats etc. I feel each of those are a more useful and better accessory than a sunroof.
astrodex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 17:38   #168
BHPian

I have been using a car with Pano roof since 2015. I don't like normal sunroofs, but I like the pano ones. I just leave the sun blind open and it makes for an enjoyable experience on long drives and night drives. I will never buy a car FOR THE sunroof. My priority will always be safety. But I will not skip buying a car because it has sunroof. Contrary to popular opinion, I never had any leaks or breakages. I think a factory fitted pano roof is well engineered.
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 19:11   #169
BHPian

After using a car with a sunroof for 8 years, now I am indifferent.

For me, the choice depends on a lot of factors :

1. Climate
2. Saftey
3. Repairs - A major one - every sunroof is bound to fail after a few years leading to leakage and the expense to get it repaired if not expensive, is definitely a pain.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee's sunroof started leaking crazily after 3 years. But thanks to being in Qatar, the leaks were a problem only during the once-in-a-blue moon rains and majorly when the servant washed the car daily. Ultimately, I had to tell him to not put water on the roof!

No doubt, it's a boon during the times when the climate is lovely and you can enjoy the wind / the weather.

Krish

Last edited by Aditya : 27th July 2022 at 17:20. Reason: Typos, spacing
emmenhr is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th July 2022, 19:26   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
In my unfortunately blunt opinion, most people in India who 'complain' of sunroofs either cannot afford it or choose some other options package (where available). Mind you, I am not saying anything about those who have it and don't use it. That is a personal choice.
Yikes! No offense but this sounds so much wrong in 2022 especially when many cars have a sunroof or at least an option. Just have a look at yearly sales and you will see that such features are not limited to a particular class of society.
Not sure if we need this kind of gatekeeping to endorse useless features in the car . Also most people I have seen complaining ( including myself) have used sunroofs and have a reason to pick a bone, this is not a sour grapes analogy in my opinion.

I have had my fair share of sunroofs ( normal and pano) and I will never buy a car based on if it has a sunroof or not. It's a liability and pretty sure many if not most enthusists prefer a sleektop over pano roof. I am also not against them so if it's there I will not go out of my way to get rid of it.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 19:44   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.autocarpro.in/news-natio...in-india-82126

Surging demand for sunroofs sees Webasto build new capacity in India
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 21:33   #172
BHPian

Sunroof is not important for me. I prefer to buy a car without sunroof because I rarely keep the windows open in dusty, humid and hot Chennai climate. However, most of the brands are offering the top ends with sunroof only which may force the buyer to go for it, even if he does not want it. This is injustice as the present poll clearly indicate that only 30 % really want to have sunroof in their car.

Further, I would like to add another point here: I drive to office through East Coast Road (ECR), which is one of the scenic beach road in South India. Sometime back, when it was just two lanes, it was death trap for commuters and animals as some drivers used to clock insane speed of 130 - 140 kmph. After widening the road to four lanes, the number accidents have come down significantly. However, these days I see lot of parents drive their car at high speed allowing their kids to peep out through the sun roof. Even if they are driving slow, it is too risky as the average speed of the vehicles on ECR is north to 70 kmph. There are reported accidents also in this manner. As I see this everyday, I feel that enjoying the drive by peeping out though sunroof is not worth compared to the risk taken for the same.
Old 26th July 2022, 21:42   #173

Having driven a car without sunroof for over a decade and now experiencing the beauty and new perspective of panoramic sunroof, I would anytime opt for it. Even I used to think that it is not needed for our climatic conditions, yada, yada.

Once we experience the new perspective of looking at sky (day and night), beautiful clouds and rain drops from inside the car, it gives many beautiful memories. Absolutely love it. It is worth the extra maintenance of oiling the channels during service and cleaning often.

There is a misconception that having a sunroof compromises the safety of the car. Perhaps its true for after-market installations. But for factor fitted models, the entire roof is more strengthened than non-sunroof models to support the structure and the sunroof more. It is also a point mentioned in Autocar India's factory visit video where Harriers are made.

If its too hot, just close the blinder which will bring back the normal car experience. If heat is a concern, as far as I know all sunroof are heavily tinted(than the windows) to keep the harsh sun away.

But as always, they come with certain cautions. People should be educated about bringing their kids out of sunroof on a highway etc.
Old 26th July 2022, 22:08   #174
BHPian

Honestly speaking, fixed panoramic roof makes more sense than openable sunroof. I recently experienced my cousin's MG Hector Sharp which has a panoramic sunroof. I tried to pop my head out of the sunroof while in motion and it was a huge nightmare. I faced too much windblast while popping out of the sunroof .

Apart from safety, there are a lot of issues with it. Opening the sunroof also causes performance drop as it draws a lot of air. Moreover, I have heard a lot of incidents and reliability issues regarding to the openable sunroof.

However, panoramic roofs do make the cabin a lot more airier and prevent claustrophobia. I feel rather than openable sunroof, carmakers should provide fixed panoramic roof like what Lexus did with old NX300h and Jag does with the I-pace. Moreover they should offer sunroof as optional like what Porsche is doing with all their cars.
Old 26th July 2022, 22:21   #175
BHPian

Yay!

We recently got a car with a sunroof albeit not pano; I use it almost everyday. By this I mean that I don’t quite open it durinf the day or so; but I slide the curtain to let some light in. However, during some late night drives , I open the glass too. Maybe this is because this is our first car with a sunroof & we may eventually get bored of it. But for now, we’re happy with it.

I do understand that the regular sozed sunroof aren’t quite a thing anymore and may have a very limited usage; but the pano roofs for sure add the ‘wow’ factor! Simply opening the curtain brings so much airiness to the cabin. This for sure will be a big point in my next car purchase decision.
Old 26th July 2022, 22:54   #176
BHPian

Having used a car with a Sunroof for the past year and a half I’d say that I love them. My wife and I love the way it makes the car look bright and feel airy and just makes the drive more pleasant even without sliding the roof open. In fact we never slide open the roof. We only keep the shutter open at all times to let the light come in. Its especially beautiful to look at in the monsoon.

Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?-8974aa0015e047dca55c4a89d4ba3c03.jpeg

To take care of the excessive sunlight I’ve got sunfilm on the sunroof which helps us keep the shutter open even in the harshest of summer.

So yes, a sunroof will definitely influence my purchase decision but it won't be a dealbreaker

In fact I would love it if any manufacturer thinks of a fixed glass roof instead of a sliding one. Suits my purpose perfectly and will be cheaper as well.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th July 2022 at 00:05. Reason: Typo
Potenza is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 08:06   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREV View Post
I tried to pop my head out of the sunroof while in motion and it was a huge nightmare.
In the interest of safety that this forum advocates, wasn't this an unsafe act?
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 08:29   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
In my unfortunately blunt opinion, most people in India who 'complain' of sunroofs either cannot afford it or choose some other options package (where available)
Won't agree with this completely. On many of the cars, sunroofs, even though available as a free option, are not preferred and instead, fixed is picked for different reasons. 99% of the M cars will be with a carbon roof over a sunroof and the same on the Porsche, where most guys will pay extra to get a Lightweight Roof over a free sunroof
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 08:38   #179

I would love to have a sunroof in my car as a novelty, but it doesn’t affect my buying decision. I love the extra light it lets in the cabin. I am a person who never open the windows and drive as I don’t want to let any dust enter car from window, so I would certainly not open them completely.
One of my colleague who lets his daughter pops her head out through it, thinks, that is the primary use of a sunroof in a car. I am sure there is a good number of people think like this. When I pointed it out as unsafe and potentially illegal, his reply was "why is then the government not banning it?".
Old 27th July 2022, 08:54   #180
Senior - BHPian

Am not buying with sunroof till my son grows up. Safety concern for one, avoids unnecessary arguments

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks