View Poll Results: Do you find sunroof as a feature desirable?
Yes! Sunroof will strongly influence my buying decision 340 29.80%
Not really. Even if a car has sunroof, I'll keep it closed. 329 28.83%
Indifferent about sunroof / Not important 472 41.37%
Voters: 1141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th January 2023, 20:21   #211

Re: Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?

Not a fan of sunroofs. Had it in my first car (Swift) & in my current car (third). If I had the option to buy my Slavia 1.5 without a sunroof with immediate delivery then i would have gone for it Only time I use it is during night on long drives. During city commute (day or night), it's never used atall as the cabin gets all dusty which i hate.
Old 27th January 2023, 10:40   #212

Never owned a car with sunroof, but driven having one. Not a fan of it at all, for a couple of rare occasions the associated headaches are not worth it.
Old 27th January 2023, 11:23   #213

I voted for not really. I feel it is a total waste of money in the Indian context, especially in places like Chennai where there is no way will it be used except for the odd child popping out his or her head without bothering about safety. Car makers are simply adding unnecessary features which increase the purchase cost of the vehicle making them more and more unaffordable.
Old 29th January 2023, 14:03   #214

Not a fan of sunroofs but surely I would want one when buying another car but at the same time I will try to avoid panoramic sunroofs.

Have two cars both with the sunroofs April 2017 Honda WRV diesel and August 2021 Kia Seltos.

I live in Rajasthan, almost everyone thinks what's the use of sunroof in the plains where you can't use it regularly.

In my case sunroof comes very handy during the summers, as it helps cooling the car much faster then opening the side windows. Which is one big point for me to have it.

If someone is using sunroof of their car in wrong way then that's their problem.

Saw an article recently where a 8 year old boy died as he was standing out of sunroof and a manjha cut his throat. Article mentioned that parents are blaming lack of medical facilities!
They should've been questioning their own lack of common sense first instead of blaming it on medical facilities.
Old 29th January 2023, 14:30   #215

Nearly 70% don't care or don't want the sun roof.

I wonder how many would actually opt for a sun roof if it were made optional on the top variants instead of having it thrust upon us.

I for one would save my money.
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 17:45   #216

Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjFFE...d=NDRkN2NkYzU=

Saw this video of Autocarindia in collab with Skoda India. Kudos to Skoda for even daring to make such a video.

Though I guess this would stay within social media realm and they would never dare to show this in TV channels.
Very good ad.
I wish that all the car brands/ manufacturers present in India would endorse this and collaboratively sponsor Prime Time Slots for this reel on TV along with Front Page Ads in all papers too. They could prominently display all their logos. And can say Issued in the Public Interest.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 22:16   #217

Sun-roof glass is closed, but still ..

Or should this go in the Scorpio-N thread ?
condor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 06:42   #218

Sun-roof glass is closed,

Or should this go in the Scorpio-N thread ?
The guy in the video is yelling " Kya hai yeh" - its poor Quality Control ,nothing else.
Old 27th February 2023, 07:21   #219

The Scorpio quality control might be zilch and it could leak. But, the video appears to be a scripted and rehearsed one. In these dishonest days, expect vloggers to intentionally create damages just to get viral.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 08:31   #220

This should be thoroughly investigated and as crdi rightly said there is no shortage of dishonest people in our country. Not a fan of Mahindra products but after watching videos like these people will jump to premature conclusions. Are sunroofs able to withstand only evenly distributed forces(rain - more or less)?
Old 27th February 2023, 09:09   #221

In my opinion, most of us who have had sun-roof from in cars over the years, understand how useless this feature is given the dusty and dirty conditions we drive most of the time in India. I have had sun-roofs in many cars over the years and mostly keep them closed except when I driving through unpolluted and dusty remote mountain roads. And that is hardly a few times over the life of the car.

To, sum it up, this is definitely not a feature that I want to pay for. And about those people who actually install aftermarket sunroof, I really don't even know what to say. They are actually cutting through galvanized steel and making their cars prone to rust. Secondly they are definitely affecting the structural rigidity of the roof.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 09:19   #222

Originally Posted by Dead_Pedal View Post
Are sunroofs able to withstand only evenly distributed forces(rain - more or less)?
That's exactly what I'm thinking - the sunroof may not be designed to handle the weight of water that's falling on the roof.

I don't think it's quality control - almost all cars are put through the rain test if I'm not wrong. What we're seeing might be a design issue where the sunroof has not been designed to withstand load from a small waterfall. I wouldn't usually complain but this is a bummer considering how Mahindra markets their vehicles as something that can go anywhere.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if this youtuber has actually altered the car in some way and I'm looking forward to see Mahindra's response.

Last edited by Turbohead : 27th February 2023 at 09:26.
Old 27th February 2023, 09:27   #223

Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
That's exactly what I'm thinking - the sunroof may not be designed to handle the weight of water that's falling on the roof.

I don't think it's quality control - almost all cars are put through the rain test if I'm not wrong. What we're seeing might be a design issue where the sunroof has not been designed to withstand load from a small waterfall. I wouldn't usually complain but this is a bummer considering how Mahindra markets their vehicles that can go anywhere.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if this Youtuber has actually altered the car in some way and I'm looking forward to see Mahindra's response.

The youtuber is popular one. His name is arun panwar. He hasn't done any modifications to the scorpio n. I have seen many youtubers complaining that we can see through the speakers. The speakers are exposed. Hence, water might have come into the cabin.
Old 27th February 2023, 09:28   #224

Honestly, I'd like a sunroof. At night, it would be great to open the sunroof and see the night sky, in the comfort and safety of your car. Maybe open it up fully for the cool and fresh air - outside the city, of course! Can one open just the cloth inner cover and keep the glass closed? It would be amazing in the rains.
A quasi-convertible experience for the whole family!
ryzen7@5800u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 10:21   #225

I love the sunroof/moonroof. I haven't opened it yet, but ensure that I slide the curtain for letting the natural light come inside the car. Yes, there is no other view better than a moon in a road full of traffic.