Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you find sunroof as a feature desirable?
Yes! Sunroof will strongly influence my buying decision 340 29.80%
Not really. Even if a car has sunroof, I'll keep it closed. 329 28.83%
Indifferent about sunroof / Not important 472 41.37%
Voters: 1141. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2022, 10:43   #151
BHPian

Re: Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?

This is what I would love to have in my car: A fixed-in panoramic Sunroof without the lid or open option but with a roof curtain to cover it when needed. Unfortunately, I know of no car which offers it but I think this is something very easily doable for a company. What I need is that airy feel with a good full view of the sky - the no-lid option will help in avoiding the rattles and other mechanical issues and the roof rails, if any, can still be installed as easily as they can be.

I don't think the air inlet and outlet through the roof are really needed in my cars in India with the AC. Yes, a lid or slide option can make it a micro-convertible but it's something that I would not miss at all.
VinsWagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 11:18   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
Voted No.
Finally one reason I am absolutely against sun roofs in India is the number of clowns who take their kids for joy rides with their heads out of the sun roof which gives me shivers as a parent even looking at them.
Very true. Some years back, these harrowing incidents in Delhi, on the same day, proved how much we need to be careful with this feature.

Kite strings kill two kids

Not only kids, any body popping out one's head out of sunroof should be very careful around Makar Sankranti/Independence Day.
NH08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 11:44   #153
BHPian

Nay Nay Nay. (with a clause)

But then, it does make sense in some cars. I am against buying a car with a sunroof just to show off (some people do it). It won't influence my buying desicion as well. When I bought my Kushaq, I was keen on having the automatic and that meant I had to settle for the mid Ambition variant. The only reasons to consider the Style were the ventilated seats and keyless entry.

However, in some cases, a sunroof is a lovely feature. I am a photographer and a big fan of camping inside my car. If I had a sunroof, I could pop out of the roof to take that picture or can totally see myself lying inside with my gaze fixed upon the sky above.

Bottom line: Some cars should have that option as an extension of their character and some can have it to make a cabin feel roomier. It should not be a yardstick or a dealbreaker.
Old 26th July 2022, 12:10   #154
BHPian

I want to emphasise that a Panoramic sunroof if useless without backseat occupants.
Old 26th July 2022, 12:11   #155
BHPian

An absolute emphatic NO for India.
I never used the sunroof on my Volkswagen Jetta or Passat or BMW 530 apart from trying it once or twice. Same is the case with my MG ZS EV. Sometimes I do open the inner shade during winter or rainy days but I have never opened the actual glass. In India, large panoramic sunroofs actually make the vehicle very hot. Mostly sunroof is abused in India by people and kids hanging out of it. It makes me nervous about the structural integrity and leakage issues. In cold places like Europe, having a panoramic glass roof would be nice as it would add light and make the vehicle feel airy. However it is mostly a novelty. Recently I drove the Tesla Model 3 for a while and found that the large glass roof made the vehicle really hot even in the comparatively balmy California sunshine.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:35   #156

The main disadvantage is pollution. In cities there is so much pollution we cannot use the sunroof. Even on my recent trip to Leh and Ladhak after couple of days we hardly used sunroof because of passing trucks or convoys. If a single truck crossed us and sunroof was open, car air purifier would go bonkers.
As much as my kid loves sunroof I have decided my next car won't have sunroof.
EVMAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:53   #157
BHPian

I've never owned a car with sunroof.
I sat in the creta top end, I liked the panoramic sunroof a lot.
When I buy the next car i will make sure it has a panoramic sunroof.
Old 26th July 2022, 13:14   #158
BHPian

Sunroofs have a limited utility in my opinion, especially for us Indians. The entire point of the sunroof is to have an option to keep it open and take in the crisp weather outside. But, we just don't have the kind of weather (not year round at least) that will make keeping the sunroof open a pleasant experience. I never drive with my windows down because I know the kind of dust and pollution outside is just going to wreck my interiors, and more importantly, health. So keeping the AC on even at the lowest setting is a default whenever I drive which makes a sunroof quite redundant. As someone from Bombay who experiences only two seasons through the year i.e. summer and rains, a sunroof makes little practical sense to me.

All of this makes the sunroof a pretty forgetabble thing to have, but where it does the work is letting ample light in and making the cabin space feel more airy and roomy. It elevates the sense of space inside, and that's my primary use for it. It's also pretty nice to watch the rain droplets on it when it's raining. So that.
Old 26th July 2022, 13:19   #159
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Did not realise its importance till I owned it.
Drive a Harrier with sunroof and the sunshade is always open and love the amount of light that comes in. I am just spoilt and just don't like travelling in non sunroof cars now as I hate less amount of natural light in non sunroof cars and miss being connected to nature.

Even if I have to go to buy veggies 5 mins away I keep my sunshade open. The other advantage I have gained out of it is to utilise sunshade opening and closing time to allow my turbocharger to warm up at start and cool down at stop. So works good for me,my turbocharger and engine.
steadfast is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 13:32   #160
BHPian

Yes for sure! Its good-to-have rather than a must-have.

I have sunroofs in both my cars, a normal one in Venue and panoramic one in Alcazar. Even though both of them are not regularly used, but it is amazing to use it during the rains, drive through the hills/forest or anything close to nature.

Also the best advantage of having a sunroof is that, it makes your cabin feel a lot more airy especially if you have dark interiors. Does work wonders for someone like me who is claustrophobic.
Old 26th July 2022, 13:50   #161
Senior - BHPian

The poll results doesn't bother me.

What I would like to know is:
1. The glass used in the sunroof - is this shatter proof? Or will there be pieces of glass flying around incase of any damage or call roll over?
2. Are the cars with Sunroof NCAP tested also or the ones without sunroof are generally used in the testing?
Old 26th July 2022, 14:01   #162
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to see opinions split between for, against, and indifferent. I feel there would have been a decisive majority had the question been about the frequency of use of a sunroof.

I never owned a car with a sunroof and my only concern around panoramic ones is their ability to block out the baking hot Indian summer sun as good as cars without a sunroof.

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th July 2022 at 15:48. Reason: As requested
Old 26th July 2022, 14:17   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Very much yes ,although I have suffered in both my Octavia and 330i.

In my unfortunately blunt opinion, most people in India who 'complain' of sunroofs either cannot afford it or choose some other options package (where available). Mind you, I am not saying anything about those who have it and don't use it. That is a personal choice.

I use my sunroofs daily. :-)
As long as we're being unfortunately blunt, would it be fair to say that those who vociferously defend sunroofs and buy cars equipped with one cannot afford a proper convertible, and have made their peace with a compromise solution that's neither here nor there?

Now seriously speaking, I don't understand why the question of affordability is even entering the equation here. Like others have mentioned, it's a personal choice and if that choice is to prioritize a feature that's at best usable a few times a year and at worst a nuisance and safety hazard (both structurally and when used ignorantly, like allowing kids to poke their heads through it), more power to them!

Personally though, I think in a hot tropical country like ours where the topic of civic sense is brought up only while lamenting the lack of it, the cost/benefit ratio of sunroofs is astronomical, mainly because the denominator tends to zero. Doesn't matter what price you pay for the car.
vijaysrk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 15:12   #164

Yes , would like to have the sunroof and would influence my buying decision.

We were checking Creta at Hyundai showroom and did ask about how hard or how much the sunroof can resist.
The salesperson said there were couple of instances where the coconut had fallen on parked cars (with sunroofs) on their premises and had no damage. Did see the coconut tree and cars parked below them . Think they should be hard enough to handle these type of hits
Old 26th July 2022, 15:57   #165
BHPian

No, Sunroof does not impact buying decision in any way.

Sunroof at this moment is the craze to have in a car and is a glam quotient, considering only expensive cars used to have sunroof in the past.

Now with every other mid and budget coming with a Sunroof the novelty is already started wearing off.

It was like people having color mobile showing off.
Then it became mainstream and then people with mobiles with camera showing off.
Then once that became mainstream then people started touch screen mobiles showing off.
Now these all are done with and no one cares.

Once every other Car having sunroof hits the road, the premium expensive then normal function will disappear.

Though I dont think I can use Sunroof anywhere in Bangalore, Gurgaon, Chennai, Delhi.

Forget Sunroof I am never able to drive with Windows down in city, wonder what happens if someone spits guthka from bus or a truck, which is very likely.

In India its either very cold, very hot, very humid, raining or highly polluted all the time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks